Page: of 157

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Lori!! Nice looking sheep. I sure am having fun with mine and enjoy every minute out there, except the dogs eating poop I know they do it just to annoy me but oh well.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  7:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Lori, The pics are great! Thank you so much for sharing! I am so very happy for you!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  3:44:25 PM  Show Profile
It will just take time to settle the sheep - don't worry in time they will understand you control the food source - friendship is not far behind.

Dogs eating poop, well I never!!! Just kidding but I must say that is one habit my Great Pry's never did - however they will clean off baby butts if the mother is forgetfull but I consider that different then finding poop and having it for lunch. You will need to watch you dogs because they can pick up worms that they normally would not have. Also, some theories is that the dog is trying to fill a mineral need - not sure but dog breath is bad enough without adding sheep poop..

Snow finally stopped today and at 3 the sun came out - just enough to blind us all. How is the packing going Monica??? I was thinking of Gary and snow as it kept falling and falling - I sure would not get you guys out here with this weather.. Hope all is well with everyone - no babies as of this writing, even got a load of laundry done... Ah, the little things in life.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone taught a teenager to spin? My daughter is about to turn 15 and is very interested in learning, but I am not sure how to go about teaching her. I kinda self taught myself - more stubborness than anything - until I was making yarn I was pleased with.

One other question - has anyone ever spun Wensleydale wool? I saw a picture of some of the curly locks and googled the breed and found pictures of them - so pretty! There are lots of locks and fleeces for sale, and I would like to get some, but they are pricey. I won't order any until learn a little more about it.

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:40:00 PM  Show Profile
I have taught as young as 5 years and as old as 82 - we teach them just about all the same. If you do not have a guild near you then maybe a shop who gives lesson. If you where closer I would gladly teach her. I taught my youngest son at age 12 and in 6 months he won the State championship. Are you teaching on a wheel or spindle???
If you give us more information we will gladly help.

As for the Wensleydale I sell that in my shop - have some waiting to be listed. What would you like to know about them? I love to spin tailspun yarn from that breed. That is where you leave the tip end hanging so it dangles - Time consuming but well work it.. I will help in any way I can just need to have a bit more understanding as to what you would like to know about them..

No babies this day but I have two of my girls rubbing their sides and being not so nice to everyone else. They are getting closer.
Have a great night all - I am going to sit down with a bowl of popcorn to watch LOST - that is if everyone keeps their legs crossed.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  6:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Hope everyone had a productive day. I've been sanding on my boxes trying to get ready to spray - hopefully on Tues. the weather is supposed to be better. Just came up from the barn - I've been picking burrs out of their fleeces. I don't know how they manage to find them but they do! It's supposed to snow in the early morning hours. How's your weather doing, Grace - is it mellowing out some?

I can't help you in the teaching arena, Lori as I am like you - self taught by determination and DVD!

How is Basil doing, Rae? How is your packing going Monica? I sent your recipies off today so you should get it in a couple of days.

Have a good evening everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  6:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Grace, have your goats had all there babies yet? I hope all is doing well!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  6:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Grace ~ I would be teaching her on a wheel. I have tried many, many times, but apparently I am not coordinated enough to use a spindle! Do you teach the drafting or start out pre-drafting so that she only has to control twist? I know to have her practice treadling with an empty bobbin until she feels comfortable with a smooth rhythm. I am assuming I would need to teach her using a "grabby" wool instead of something like corriedale or superwash since it slides so easy. I tried to teach her over summer break a couple of times, and I was very patient (helps to have one of my first yarns sitting close by to remember how they looked) but she gave up quickly each time.
I love it that you taught your son to spin! As much as I want my daughter to learn all the things I know how to do, she isn't very interested. She can crochet, but she isn't very concerned about finishing anything. My 12 year old son, on the other hand, constantly asks to learn things. I think I may go ahead and teach him also. My youngest son who is 9, loves it when I make him things, but would rather be out playing tag with his goats.

About the Wensleydale - I was curious if it was super slick. Also, I didn't know how to spin it. When you tailspin it, do you use only the locks and overlap with the previous end hanging loose or is this something that is done in plying? I am thinking the loose locks would be absolutely gorgeous when that yarn was knitted into a scarf!

Thanks, Grace, for being so willing to answer my questions! I really appreciate it! Let me know when you are going to put the locks in your shop. Hope you get a good night's sleep!

My new sheep are calming down nicely. They aren't running clear to the other end of the pasture when I go in to feed. Tonight they actually came up towards the gate when I went in the pasture, and hung around while I fed and hayed them. The older solid white one, Angel, actually got within a couple of feet of me. She is very inquisitive.

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  8:24:40 PM  Show Profile
Here are a few tricks I use with students. I give them commercial yarn on their bobbin so they can get the feel of take up and treadling. Also they will become aware how to adjust the take up and the speed of treadling. Once they have that then I give them predrafted roving that will not slip or move to fast. That way their hands will have a chance to work. If you daughter likes music ask her to pick music that has a beat that will be slow enough for her to treadle to - we all do better when we listen to music and spin - besides kids are always plugged into music and this will make her feel like this is a normal activity. I would also get her online and have her watch some of the YouTube spinning - or have her look at some of the artyarns that are being created - she might find a style that she connects with and then you will have her hooked. Remember she is wanting to find expression of Herself not Yourself. It is a hard lesson for us parents to remember.

Tailspun is spun on top of a core yarn or thread. I like useing a laceweight wool that way the wool will want to marry with it. It is a one shot spinning so you have to have your locks lined up on your lap or I put a TV tray next to me with the locks all lined up. You must also have a large orivus and a slow take up because you will be wrapping the cut end of the lock onto the core yarn - you will need enought twist to get the locket onto the core but you do not want the lock to spin onto the core - you want them dangling. It is an advance spinning technique and takes tons of pratice. You can also do this with Mohair lockets, some Icelandic, some llama - what you are looking for is great lock structure.

Hope that helps some but always ready to assist. Enjoy.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  03:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Morning all!!! Well I will be back to this a lot once I start spinning!

Basil is doing great. He is getting bigger and more coordinated every day. I think they all have spring fever like me!! Sampson has been a little needy lately, having to have his ears scratched and the such

-10 this morning but supposed to start warming back up tomorrow so at least the cold spells do not last very long anymore. Just have to get through snowy icy March

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh Rae - we all need our ear scratched sometimes. Glad to hear Basil is growning by leaps and bounds. My little ones are excited to get outside but it is just too cold so for now they are playing like wild kids in their pens.

I know what you mean about the icy March - it got a little bit warm Tuesday and so things start to melt just enought to put a layer of ice on everything - Graceful Grace did her impression of an ice skater and let's just say it was not pretty. Even a couple of the goat slipped and fell.

Ebony is still in the dumps but my sweet Pry slept with her, licked her ears and eyes and just tried to be a bud. I sat with her late last night as she drifted off to sleep - she grinds her teeth like I do.

Otherwise no one little one's I am hopeing to catch a break with the weather a snap some pictures - keep those fingers crossed.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  9:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Can I ask you all to please pray for Megan! She is my friend Garret's son's future sister-in-law and she is in the hospital with a rare blood infection! There is no real treatment and she is only 16. Right now she is paralyzed from the neck down and it may be 2 months or more before she starts to recover!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  10:47:27 PM  Show Profile
I will put Megan in my prayers and her family as well.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  03:12:55 AM  Show Profile
Prayers were just sent up for her!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  06:12:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh My, you can count of us - I will ask my prayer circle to put her at the top of the list. I am so so sorry to hear of this but prayers and love is on the way. Please keep us informed.

Hugs to you too!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  08:56:25 AM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is doing well this morning!

Thank you all for keeping Megan is your prayers! She has transverse myelitis, which I have never even heard of, but I guess it only affects 1-5 out of 1 million. Somehow it affects the spine and that is what causes the paralysis. My heart just breaks for her as she is only 16. It may take 2 months to up to 2 years to recover from it and 45% of people who recover still have some paralysis.

I have started on a new side venture making thank you tags! It was kind of a fluke as I was trying to stamp some tags and I thought maybe I could do some to sell in packs, but sometimes it's hard to get the stamp to come out clear so I thought about doing it on the computer and then I figured why not do one with a sheep so my personalized "Thank Ewe" tags were born!! I even have them listed on etsy and have had one sale so far! This one is a pic of the ones I did for my friend Beth at Blue Mountain Handcrafts! I am having way to much fun!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Feb 25 2010 10:23:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  10:04:30 AM  Show Profile
I love the Thank Ewe cards!!!!! How clever and what fun!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  10:13:09 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I love the cards. I hope you sell lots. Hope you are getting your packing done. How is the house coming and when are you finally going to get to move in?

Back to my sanding - hope everyone has a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  10:22:51 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the compliments! What's cool about them is my neighbor helped me figure out how to do the files so I am selling the design and then whoever buys it can print as many as they want so I don't even have to ship anything!

Sheri, I am still standing around like a deer caught in headlights half of the time, but I am slowly getting things packed up! We are storing some boxes in another house that Gary's boss owns so I am able to get some stuff out now, which helps because then I feel like I am making some progress! How are the boxes coming! They are so pretty! Do you have any new designs?

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  10:27:15 AM  Show Profile
I posted pictures of my two newest designs on the "What are you doing today?" thread on page 2 if you want to see.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  11:28:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh Monica I remember that feeling when we sold our house!!! Pack and pack and try find somewhere to store! By the end it was throw out throw out!!! I am now 3 years later finally starting to go through some of the boxes because I just couldn't look at them for a while. it is a lot of work when everything has to be out. We had our closing at 4:00 and walked out of our house at 3:30 that day, talk about down to the wire. I cleaned it up though pretty good, in fact new owners were so happy they moved in that night!!

Grace how is your weather? The storms have been going right under us lately and then straight east, won't complain though Sheep are much happier when they can sun themselves.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, The boxes are absolutely beautiful!

Rae, Sometimes I get flustered trying to sort stuff out so I just pack it all! I will probably throw a bunch more stuff out when we get moved! I do have a ton of stuff that I am donating to the Boy Scouts for a rummage sale they are going to have so I am making progress!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the compliments on my boxes. I know what you mean about trying to decide where to go from there....sometimes it just makes such a huge mess that you just stand there and say "Now what..." It's always good to purge though. I'd sure hate to move me after 30 years in this house. I try to purge often but it's to no avail - I have too many craft supplies and stuff I save as potential craft supplies!! Just make sure you leave yourself time to relax with a cup of tea from time to time to let your nerves calm down.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  1:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I know exactly what you mean! I always take time at night to have a cup of coffee, a bit of chocolate and to play with some fiber! That's my stress therapy! It works every time!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  12:24:43 PM  Show Profile
Sheri I love the new boxes - saw them on the Stitch Forum!!

Monica way cute tags - Great idea!! I had hoped to show you my new beaded spun yarn but it got snapped up shortly after placing it on Etsy. Stupid me I cleared the picture off my disk not thinking..

No new babies but I did have to have the Vet out to look at Ebony - she was still leaking some blood and was not feeling well. We flushed out her womb, gave her some medications to stay off infection and also to tighten her womb. She is only eating when I sit with her so that means more time in the barn. Manage to catch chest cough and just plain feeling ucky. So I started to wear a mask while interacting with the animals - do not wish to spread anything.

Two of my older hens passed today - hope it was not me who got them sick but they have been acting sick for about a week - tried everything you can do for the chicken (which is not that much) but is did not work.

Still watching four girls closely two have had babies before and two are new to the whole thing - going to take a bit of a nap and see if I can not get this old gal feeling better. Stay warm all.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page