Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  10:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I'm so sorry to hear about losing the little ones. We lost a calf this morning too. The head was coming first and the legs where straight back. Thanks to the long arms of my husband he got the calf out without having to call the vet.
I hate to say this now but my ewe lambed this morning. She had twin boys! I couldn't believe how fast it went. She did lamb in the morning which I am thankful for, but from experience with cows, Rae, we have had our share of problems in the night. I believe it is Gods will. On the upper hand, look at the beautiful one you have left, that is a blessing in itself.
Our first lamb got up and sucked within 30 mins, the other one, took about an hour and a half. We tried everything and the little turkey wouldn't suck. I got frustrated and just left them alone and lo and behold, he figured it out himself.
Well, off to celebrate ground hogs day.(Yes, my family gets together to go tobogganing and have supper together. We are just looking for a reason to celebrate.) Gods blessings on your day.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  10:57:48 AM  Show Profile
The babe is a boy and so far now so good. Took a bit to get him going eating. Hoping now he will keep on. Got them penned up and a heat lamp going to help keep area warm. She let me sit there and wrap him up and hold him for a long time. She just would put her face in mine and then check him but very calm.

Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot. Keep the prayers going though these next few days. Hopefully will warm up a bit. Oh he was really happy once he ate some, much louder when he baaaaaed Still trying to chose a name.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile
Rae,I'm glad to hear your little boy is perking up. I will keep him in my prayers. Barb, sorry to hear of the calf. Just part of farm living but not any easier when it happens. Glad to hear your ewe gave birth and both are well.

Happy groundhog day - he definetely didn't see his shadow here today.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  1:01:50 PM  Show Profile
Oops Barb sorry about your calf, guess I am too caught up in business but no excuse. Glad your twins are doing well. Sure is an exciting moment as well as sad. He has latched on to Mom a few times now by himself so hopefully he will do fine. Do I sound like a first time Mom???

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  3:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Rae and Barb, I am so sorry to hear about the babies I will be praying for you both!

Please keep us in your prayers for our move! Our "friend" wants us out of here the 1st of March and there is no way we will have the other house done in time! I can't move out soon enough, but there are still essential things to be done and John just doesn't seem to care about that! He says he has another family that can't afford their rent and they are moving in here. He doesn't want them to end up homeless!! I guess we don't count! I am starting to pack and hopefully we can have enough done in the next month to move in even if it's not finished!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  4:09:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh Monica I pray your house will be ready for you. When we sold our house it was wow also, we did not expect it to sell and took off the market and it did. We did not have wiring done here or sheet rock up and had a month!! Amazing what you can get done.

I made a little mini sweater for Basil. I took and old top, cut it down and put elastic so would go around the tummy. Hoping it will help a little in the warmth tonight. Would like to take him in but with Sally losing 3 she needs him close by. She is good so hoping when she settles down he will curl up and I know he will be warm. We have a heat lamp over the pen to help a little. Nervous Mom here.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  4:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Rae, That is what I am praying for! The big problem is that Gary works for the Water Company and usually he has time to go over and work on the house and yet this week he has not made it over to the house at all because of water leaks and other various things that have come up! If I could I would just buy a tent and camp out in the back yard until the house is done!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jan 31 2010 4:21:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  4:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Monica, so sorry to hear that your "friend" is pushing so hard. Sometimes it's a blessing in disguise as we can do amazing things when we have to. That's what so special about humans - they rise to the occasion with divine inspiration....I'm sure that you will get it all worked out in time. I will pray for you as well. I have every confidence that it will all be ok.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  5:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the prayers everyone. Monica, If I could get to where you live, I would come and help you, but, I think we live a piece away. Like Sheri said, I do believe that there will be lots of blessings that come out of this. I also know you will be ready when the time comes. Rae, glad to hear your little boy is doing well. It is also cold hear, but my little guys seem to be warm enough. When I came home tonight they were both nursing one on each side. They do seem to take a while to get on to it. Their little tails were just a waggin. It was just adorable. They look like little stuffed animals.
Going to bed now, I will remember everyone in my prayers tonight. (Just to let you all know, I live a completely different time zone then you all. I don't go to bed at 6:00)
Barb
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  6:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh I'm so sorry Barb and Rae!! You are in my prayers!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  7:27:15 PM  Show Profile
To end the day on a good note I just recently found out that some of my hand spun silk thread is one of the featured items in the Treasury on etsy!! Wow! I have already called my mom to tell her! http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=109659 Things have been picking up on my site lately and I almost have the rest of the money for an antique 4-harness loom that I found!!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  03:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Monica!!!

Basil was eating at 2:30 when hubby went out to check before he left for work this morning! I will check on him as well in another hour. I did not sleep well and finally gave up at 3:30. Will be tired today but as long as little guy is doing good
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  04:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Monica - You have some gorgeous items in your etsy shop! Congratulations on the treasury!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  08:10:19 AM  Show Profile
Rae, Thank you and I will be praying for your little guy!

Lori, Thank you!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  09:31:56 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Congratulations on being on the treasury, Monica. I hope it boosts your sales so you can get your loom. I'm glad to hear that the new one made it through the night ok, Rae.

Hope all is well with you Grace. Any babies???

Still working on my boxes trying to get ready to spray. I want to spray several at once since it's such a pain to load the sprayer for just one. I've also been doing some spinning in the evenings but I ran out of carded wool so now I have to card(comb) some before I can do any more.

Have a great day all.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  10:31:56 AM  Show Profile
Had my son stop and check on Basil around noon and he was fine. Bet none of you can tell I am thrilled After tonight not suppose to get below 0 for a little while so... keep your prayers out there, thanks so much.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  04:03:05 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Monica! I'm am so happy for you. I have to say that I don't know what etsy is. I guess one of these days I am going to have to explore all of the different things on this site. I barely have time somedays to posts here let alone explore! Rae, I am so glad that your little one is doing well. I can't believe what good moms the sheep are. My little guys are happy as larks. I feel so bad for their mom. Everytime she stand they are on her like leaches. I know that is the way they grow, but my they are aggressive little things. Have a great day.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  7:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies! I have done so much better with sales in the past month! I have had 10 sales in the past month including my neighbor wanting a skein of yarn!! Yipee!

Barb, etsy is a site where you can sell hand made, vintage items or craft type supplies! If you click on the etsy link below my name you can check it out!

Sheri, I am ordering the loom!!!!! I am waiting to hear back from the lady to know how much the shipping will be! I can't believe I am actually going to get it! Do you see what you have all started!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Feb 02 2010 7:36:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  8:33:37 PM  Show Profile
I am so jealous. I have wanted a loom for so long but just haven't been able to raise the money. I am so happy for you!!! What type of loom are you getting?

Hope all the babies are doing well. Any babies yet, Grace???

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  9:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I will pray that you find one! It's a Structo Artcraft 4 harness table loom from the 1930's! I had looked up new ones like this and they run about $700.00, so I figured that I better not pass this one up! I have talked to Cara that I am getting it from and she said it work just as it is, but would be beautiful if it was cleaned up some! I also have a friend that is going to give me her old set of wool combs because she is getting a new set! I must say that this month has been incredible as it has been maddening! I really feel like God is smiling down at me and my little business!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Feb 03 2010 2:41:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  2:31:44 PM  Show Profile
Monica - You are getting a loom?? Oooo...what a fun new thing to learn how to do. I am bad about seeing a new craft and obsessing over it until I learn how to do it. That is how I learned how to spin. It made me mad that the wheel was winning our battles with fiber, so I sat there over most of one spring break until I learned how! A childhood friend owns the LYS and she has an antique loom. I have made myself walk past it so I don't get curious!!

Here is something to ponder. I have two female dorper hair sheep and one of them has two 4 month old babies. I also have one female Jacob sheep named Mariam. All three adults were rescued from the same tiny, overcrowded, ill-managed pasture. I also have 3 shetland/BFL cross sheep that I just bought about a month ago. We have the wool sheep in a seperate pasture - seperated by a cross fence - from the rest of the sheep. We plan to move Mariam over with the new wool sheep after she has been sheared this spring. (Right now her wool is full of hair from the dorpers she was pastured with previously and will probably not be a usable fleece this year.) Get this - Mariam has begun standing at the cross fence and staring at the new ladies for long periods of time. The dorpers are off doing their own thing without her. It is almost like she knows that she belongs with the other wool sheep! I would go ahead and move her, but her fleece is so full of hair that I am afraid it will get all mixed up in the new sheep and ruin their fleeces, too. She is so pitiful and she is breaking my heart!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  2:43:07 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I am so excited about getting it! I am trying to forget about it until it actually gets here! I have a rigid loom and have been wanting a larger one and I have done really good this month is sales so I figured I better grab it! I will post a pic of it when it arrives!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  11:47:12 AM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is staying warm and well today!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  7:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. A sad day for me. One of my wethers died this afternoon in a very weird way. He was fine last night and this morning all were in the barn as it was pouring down rain so I didn't go down until this afternoon as they had plenty of feed. When I went down this afternoon he was down and couldn't get up. I called my vet and he said since it was after hours and it would cost $250 to come out and see him and there was probably nothing he could (would) do to just load him up and haul him in to the office tomorrow. He said give him a shot of pennicillian if I had some. His attitude was horrible (he's a new vet in this practice and has an aversion to sheep, preferring cows and horses). I called the breeder and she came over with her daughter. While I was up at the house calling for help, he managed to crawl across the barn floor and got his head wedged under the feeder and that was where he was when he died. I don't know how he even got his head under there with his horns. To get him out was a huge ordeal with three of us. What was really weird was that he was stiff like he had rigor even though he had just died. When we drug him out of the barn we could smell sulfur smell from him. He didn't appear to have bloat. Does anyone have a clue as to what may have killed him? I am worried that maybe there was a bad weed in this bale of hay or something. It's the same hay they have been eating for a year or more (I had 10 ton we had bought for the cows before we quit doing them). Even the breeder said that she had never seen anything like it. My heart is on the ground. Any ideas would be helpful. I would hate for my other sheep to get sick too.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  04:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Sheri I am so sorry about your news. I know nothing cause I am so new to this but my thoughts and prayers are with you. I felt awful losing 3 babies I had never known, don't look forward to what you are going through
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page