Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  5:51:50 PM  Show Profile
This is the medium size one - it is 10" in dia. and 7" tall. I wanted them to be big enough to actually use them for something useful.

Welcome to the sheep and goat thread, it's always good to have a new voice.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

Edited by - Sheep Mom 2 on Jan 16 2010 6:00:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  8:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Congrat's on the twins - goat babies - how I hope for them!!! Monica you can ask but the answer is NO BABIES!!! Spent the day moving hay, grains, cleaning barns, chicken coops and raking up dog poop.. Such excitement. The high light of the day was when my wild mink baby decided to follow my into the shop. I had not realized it until I brought in the mail and there was the little sweet thing sitting on my desk. We gave each other a fright, it ran around and then came up to me like it just wanted to see what I do inside. I opened the door and he scampered out the door only to be greeted by the chicken who was sitting on the rug. She gave it a peck and it took off running for it's hide out. That will cost me a couple of hairs - it really is a cute thing but not in the house.

Sheri I LOVE LOVE LOVE the box and YES YES YES it will sell. I know one farmgirl right here who would love one in her house.

Rae enjoy those days off and a big Congrat's on the sales - sounds like you will be creating some more soon... Where do you sell them??

Well, I am going to get this old body into bed soon - I finished up some spinning - they turned out better then I had hoped - I purchased some roving from a Etsy seller (boy was I dissapointed) What some folks call clean roving - well, they must have had their eye's closed when preparing it. So after spending hours picking as I spun it is done but I sure will never purchase from them again... I also dyed up about 4,000 yards of mohair boucles and have drying about 20 dozen silk rods and cocoons - so all in all a busy day and now I think it is time for some sleep.

Night all - but one question before bedtime. Do any of you gals start seed inside for spring planting and if so what do you have on the schedule?? I have been looking at my seed books - that bug is bitting...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  9:22:35 PM  Show Profile
Karen, Welcome to the thread!!

Grace, How funny to hear about the baby mink! I will keep praying for the babies to come soon!!!! Sure sounds like you were busy today!!

Sheri, The box is absolutely beautiful!!!!! How much are you going to sell them for? I would love to get one as soon as I have a bit of $$

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  07:16:29 AM  Show Profile
Sheri the box is BEAUTIFUl and yes I am sure it will sell!!!

Grace we have started before, but not for a while not. Usually first of April for us as we don't put anything out until very end of May or into June, too much chance of frost here. Would like to also get a small greenhouse going with our short growing season.

Right now I sell word of mouth but once I can get more things would like to attempt and Etsy store, always wanted my own business and want things here to sell.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Thank you for your kind words about my box. My goal is to get a crafting business going but I wanted to do something that everyone else isn't doing too. I don't want to end up doing production work either if I can help it. I don't want to do 50 of the same thing over and over. Either way, I have to get some income in here and there aren't any jobs around here - unemployment is pretty high. So, I jumped in and bought a business license - "Farmstead Fripperies" and hope to get things going in earnest this year. I ran my own cabinet shop for years but it's different than marketing your own art.

I always start my own seeds. I have a room with a halogen grow light that I start them in. I start them the first of March. Like Rae, we have some ify growing conditions here too - late frosts in spring and early frosts in the fall. It just depends on the year. I usually do around 120 tomato plants, cucumbers, peppers, squash, and lots of flowers. I don't set anything in the ground until after June 1. I tried to start with florescent light but the plants got too leggy by the time I was ready to set them. The trick is balancing the amount of heat with the amount of light. Too much heat and not enough light makes for wimpy plants. The same goes for too much light and not enough heat - then you get lots of top and little root development. I usually end up transplanting at least twice before they go in the ground. I want really good roots. This year I will have a hoop greenhouse - hopefully have it set up in time to harden things off. My friend gifted it to me last summer but with her husband ill, it didn't get moved this fall so will move it in the spring. It will be so nice to have a place to harden the plants off protected from wind.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  4:16:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I have not been on for a while, and enjoyed reading everyones posts. Good luck with all the craft sales, and the boxes look fantastic.
Any babies yet?? Everything in its own time. I also start my plants in March. I should really start peppers in Feb. as they take along time to get going. I just use a couple of shop lights, florescent.(sp.) I have had good luck with them. I raise them as the plants grow. I also transplant twice, before they go out.
I have been getting things lined up, for bee keeping, this year. I have my name on a list for bees, and will be ordering supplies here soon. I am starting to get excited about this. And a little scared! Don't like being stung! Should be interesting,to say the least.
Also started knitting a cardigan, with my "Jacks" wool. It is one from the top down. Hopefully it works out well.
Its looking like my Summer girl(jerseycow) has maybe stuck. She was bred in December. That will mean an end of Sept. baby. My beef girls will be having babies in March. Will be only six, knock on wood. I scaled down the herd, because of a lack of hay. Like everyone has said, it don't pay to have to buy hay for the prices you get on the beef.

Happy spinning and birthing!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Grace - I understand about being startled! We have had a real mouse problem this year. Try over 40 in the house since summer! The most we have ever had in a year has been 3! Apparently there has been a sign posted somewhere in mouse land that our house is the happening place to be! It was kinda funny around mouse #5 or #6, then we just kept catching them. My kitty passed away last spring of old age, and we were really missing her. It is so bad, though, and you guys are going to laugh, but our miniature long-haired dauschund has become quite the mouser! I sure wish I could open the door and they would all run out like your mink. I am so tired of cleaning up their calling cards!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  8:37:10 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about mice - this winter started off with a bunch thinking they where coming in but I made short work of them. Hec just before I saw the mink in the shop I found a mouse trying to run across the floor in the laundry room - I am one quick farmgal - stepped on it!!! Yep, got that mouse flat!! Then I had to clean the floor up but it was one for Grace.. Now don't get me wrong I figure there must be a purpose for them - just not in the house. As for the sweet little mink he is still following me around outside but I think the trauma of the house has sunk in...

I Love that your dauschand is pitching in - My great pry's love to catch mice, voles, birds, rabbits, foxes, coyotoes and people who should not have come on the farm without an invitation... Give that sweet dog of yours a hug from me..

Michele I sure hope we get to see what your cardigan looks like when your done - sounds wonderful. It is always special when you get to use fiber from your own sweet one's to make something.

Well, guess what??? NO BABIES!! I think my girls are just teasing me.. After 14 years of doing this they all got together and decided to pull the fiber over my eyes. I did have someone ask me "Are You Sure They Expecting"??? Maybe their just fat??? She Asked. I hated to be graffic but I explained that fat does not move around like jumping beans, make puffy bottoms or milk bags but who knows maybe their giving me my April Fools Joke early.. So now more talk about babies - I give up.

Hope everyone is having a great week and I really enjoyed reading about your planting plans. I have a ton of aloe plants (50 some) to transplant in the house - I am really good with them - they are taking over the house.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kkprice
True Blue Farmgirl

301 Posts

Karen
Davisburg MI
USA
301 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  04:09:54 AM  Show Profile
I have a doxie who is a great hunter as well. He is so proud. I also have a schnauzer and he just wants to play with any and all creatures who pass by. My 14 year old Brittany lives on the back porch (used to be an outdoor dog and the indoors is too hot for her)with the baby goats. They are seperated, but she serves as a wonderful nanny. My babies are growing like crazy and delight in watching their antics. I could stay with them all day, but one must get other things done -- right? Please disagree!! My son, almost 15, is a happy go lucky red head with freckles -- he was playing with my little girl goat (Casper), he was lying flat on his back and she peed all over him. He laughed so hard and just thought that was the funniest thing. I'm so glad he such a good natured guy. He now plays without becoming a flat surface. Does anyone spin? I have a ton --well a couple of bags anyway -- of llama fiber and I'd love to spin but am really intimidated. The fiber is from my llamas who are now in camelid heaven.

Have a great day everybody. I love reading everybody's posts -- I feel like we're all sitting around together with our morning coffee. Karen

Follow your bliss!
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  05:01:44 AM  Show Profile
I spin! I learned last Christmas when my mama upgraded to a new spinning wheel and guess who got the old one? It sat in my living room with my hubby saying "what are you going to do with THAT?" :) I was really intimidated by the whole process. I finally went to her house over spring break and had her show me what to do. Mama is a very generous woman and has a tremendous amount of faith in me. I came home with bags of fiber and spent most of the rest of spring break feeling most unchristian-like towards that wheel. I just kept at it. If your first attempts look anything like mine, they will probably remain hidden for a long time until you can eventually pull them out and laugh about how silly they look! I have seen pictures, though, of some first attempts that are gorgeous. If you don't have a wheel, then a drop spindle is an inexpensive way to start. You can buy one, or there are lots of tutorials on the web about how to make one from a cup hook, a length of wooden dowel, and a CD. You have a little more control learning this way, too. My best advice is to just keep at it, whatever method you choose. It is just something you will have to get a feel for, and that will only come from learning what not to do. I love the yarn I spin now, and spend most evenings sitting at my wheel. It is the most relaxing activity I have ever done.

Grace - My rescued Dorper, Leah, must have called your ladies up and got ideas from them. The last time she was with a ram was in early August, and she is HUGE, but no milk bag. Her companion, Rachel, who I know was bred earlier, had her babies in October, and she is so much skinnier. I know she is supporting 2 babies, but Leah is almost twice her size. If I figured right, we are now on the outer fringes of gestation time. Every day when I come home from work I am looking in the sheep pasture, hoping for something to have happened!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  07:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I called my first spinning attempts, unique novelty yarn. It was just pretty thick and chunky! I have used it in a head band pattern. Worked great! It was fun to work that first yarn into an item I can use.
Grace, about the time you give up on anyone having babies, there they will be! Good luck and hope everything goes smoothly!
I agree Karen, reading the posts is like sitting around the kitchen table and having coffee with all of you. Doing that would really be alot of fun, and there would never be a lack of something to say!
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  08:31:02 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I think most of us here spin! Don't be intimidated to learn! I started on drop spindles and then I ended up getting a spinning wheel from Grace and as first I had no idea what I was doing at all! I was very intimidated, but I just kept trying and watching a lot of spinning videos on youtube and I finally got the hang of it! I have to say that spinning has to be one of the most relaxing things in the world! If I were you I would give it a try!!!

Oh it would be fun to sit around the kitchen table together and chat over a cup a coffee!!!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  08:45:23 AM  Show Profile
I love to spin - I can lose hours that way....Yes, it would be fun if we could all sit around over a cuppa and chat. Perhaps one day.

Any more of a time frame on your move, Monica? Getting stuff sorted and packed? Did you enjoy your extra day off, Rae?

Hope everyone has a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  08:55:12 AM  Show Profile
Yes I did enjoy my day and have next Monday off too, yipppeeee My youngest daughter and I were going through books and have 2 big bins so far to get rid off. They are books we won't read again so time to make space for new ones, HA!!!

Actually more room so when I get a wheel come spring ....

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  09:51:24 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I still have no idea when we are moving, but I am sorting through things and getting rid of stuff! I wish we were moving now! It just can't come fast enough!!

Rae, Glad you enjoyed your day off!! What kind of wheel are you getting? It's always good to make room for more fiber related stuff!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  10:50:12 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, your "novelty yarn" can get big bucks in the right place. When I learned to spin, our instructor would buy our lumpy, chunky spinnings and sell them to a lady that knit sweaters for the ski resorts near where we lived. She sold the sweaters for 3 to 400 dollars just because they looked so home spun.

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  7:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Grace, any babies yet????
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  11:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Bernadine, Oh how cool that would be for alot of us beginners here, to sell our first yarns. Of course I would keep some, just to look back on! Hey all, I am going to get a jump start on next Christmas presents! Order 2 cross stitch kits, Christmas stockings. One for my daughter in law, and one for grandson. Now if I can only get 2 done by next Christmas!!
Just finished up books, and am ready to go see the accountant! Waiting on our W-2's, but have all my farm expenses totaled up and ready to go.
I think I might do a little playing with my spinning wheel today. I have 2 sheep, one black, one white. So I am thinking of making "striped" yarn, spinning a bit of black, then a bit of white. Has anyone done this, or will it end up looking like a zebra yarn? The black wool is actally more of a grey this year.
enjoy your day
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  12:35:04 AM  Show Profile
Well got some rain that froze last night but not too bad. Guess the real nasty stuff is supposed to come in today with wind on top of it! Glad we have a wood stove

The sheep have managed to pull quite a bit of hay out on the ground but right now glad as will help keep that area from getting really slippery. The snow already has a crusty icy top on it so hay does help when they are outside. Hubby cleaned out and put some fresh in their house the other night.

Grace did you get this mess that we are getting this weekend?

Take care everyone!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. It's turned colder here too after having record warm temps. I was wondering if you were getting the snow too, Grace. Hope all is well and that you have some babies....?? I've been working on another box and doing some spinning. Today I have to clean out my office in prep for the installer for my high speed internet on Monday. I sure am exited after years of dial up.

As to the "beginner novelty yarn" - once you get it down it's hard to make that novelty yarn....isn't that funny. I've heard that from more than one spinner. I got so into it last night that I spun until 2 am. My dog was mad at me - he was ready to go to bed!

Have a great weekend everyone and stay warm.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  09:42:53 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, Isn't it easy to loose track of time when you are having fun! I have spent many nights carding and spinning and then realizing it was 2 a.m.! I am so happy that you are getting high speed! I was like night and day when we finally got it here!

Rae, I hope you are staying warm!! Aren't wood stoves the best! We have had cold rainy weather the past few days! They even had tornado warnings in Phoenix a couple days ago! Luckily we are not close to Phoenix, but we got tons of rain the one day and it made a mess of the roads here!
Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jan 23 2010 09:45:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  09:43:59 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone. We were pretty excited this morning, we saw the sun for about 3 minutes. When I told my husband that I could see the sun shining, he ran to the door and poof! it was gone! Cloudy, dark and looks like the rain is getting ready to hit.
My sheep are doing well, eating hay like we have plenty...won't lamb until mid March this year.
I have been working in my upstairs studio every night this week. I have 3 looms warped and I am weaving wool rugs on the upright and the large Toikas. On the table top, I am weaving some new dishcloths with cotton.
I have been spinning large single ply wool to make these rugs for weeks. It is very hard to go back to the beginner look. I take out a couple of my first balls and study it and then give it a try...very hard to duplicate.
Danny is retired now and he spends almost all day in his woodworking shop. He is making a storage cabinet or pantry cabinet out of oak for the back porch. I am very excited because as I get stiffer and my joints don't allow me to get up and down on my knees, I have trouble getting down into my lower cabinets where I have always stored my canned goods. I will put new pictures on my blog when he gets it finished.
Well, just heard a racket outside, the wind is blowing and the rain is really coming down. Thankful that we can just be home today.
It sounds like everyone is so busy here, I am already plotting out my garden and truck patch, seed catalogs are everywhere....I am also making list of new lamb names. With 50 plus sheep, it is getting harder to keep the newer ewes straight. I really like the personalities of the ewe lambs born last year out of White Knight...they are very calm, sweet, and loving...needless to say, the wool is so long and soft. I am going to start shopping around for a new Border Liecester ram for next fall. BL and shetland is a wonderful cross.
Hope you all can stay warm and dry today. Happy Shepherding!
God Bless,
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  09:51:27 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, So glad to hear that everything is going well! You will have to post pics of all the things you are working on when you get them done! I have a small loom that I need to start playing with one of these days here! It is out on my desk, but that is all the further I have gotten with it lately! It is hard to go back to the beginning isn't it! I was trying to spin some red and white roving into a thicker single and it was almost to the point where I had to keep telling myself out loud "not to thin"! I did manage to spin it thicker, but it wasn't easy!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  09:54:03 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I was reading the posts that I had got behind on and your boxes are beautiful. Are they hatbox size? I can already see one of my felted hats in one of those boxes....price????

Monica, I am so excited for you. Everyone needs a place to get away every now and then.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  11:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I am just praying that things continue to move forward on the other house! Our friend that we are renting from already has people wanting to move in where we are at now so he is pushing on us to get moved!! Very frustrating right now! I can't wait to have my own craft room! I am just praying that it actually happens!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page