Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  5:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello all. Today was beautiful - 45 unheard of in these parts this time of the year, with filtered sun. I was so energized that I cleaned my house and did laundry all day. It felt so good after feeling like I have been wandering around half asleep. Even my chickens were happy and gifted me with an extra egg this morning. I hope everyone else had a productive day as well. Sorry to hear of your icy mess, Barb. What a pain those "little" disasters can be. We've all been there at one time or another. I hope you got to enjoy your bubble bath. Hope your babies come soon - for Grace too. Hope your week is going better, Monica.

I have a question - I have Shetland sheep and am considering coating them to keep the vm out of the fleeces after this springs shearing. Can all breeds be coated without damage to the wool? I asked a friend and she said it could cause a problem with felting. Any advice?

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  5:48:31 PM  Show Profile
How horrible to find all that ice and water - I know that is not a fun time - I carry a lighter in my pocket to help get gates thawed open. I also use an ice ax to get thru the thick stuff.

As for the utter question - it is as individual as there are sheep and goats... I have some who bag up right after the birth other who had them dragging on the ground weeks before delivery. This is where I keep records of things because over time they do follow a path. Now having said that, I will say - there is no path!!! I am with your kids - jumping up and down with excitment and every year it seems to take forever. Just today my new daughter in law asked me again "Any Babies"? I keep telling folks I promise I will tell everyone the moment someone shows up. I have been doing this for 14 years now and everytime I think it is going to happen they drag it out. As my sons say - we don't believe it until the head is out - I always say they only show up if I have to leave the farm, I step into a shower or I just put dinner on the table.... Good luck and keep us informed - maybe she needs a good walk.. Just like human's that does help sometimes.

NO BABIES HERE - just all the boys fighting today - Sherlock and Hansel got into it today - drew blood on their horns - looked horrible but blood stop fixed them right up but they do look a fright. I think all the good weather today got them confused and like little human boys got too much energy to stay out of trouble. What was so funny was just like human boys they wanted Mommy (Me) to make their booboo's go away. However, human boys do not have a three foot horn span, but just like human boys I put them in time out after I fixed their bleeding heads and gave them a talking too.. "SILLY BILLIES"

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  08:41:45 AM  Show Profile
Barb, Sorry to hear about the ice and water trouble! Do hope you enjoyed your bubble bath! I can't wait till we move! We only have a shower where we are at now and I can't wait to take a bubble bath!!

Sheri, Glad to hear you had some nice weather! So far things are going smoother this week! Last week it just seemed to be one thing after another! I lost $20.00, Gary's transmission light on the van is coming on, Saturday my cell phone died and I still have 6 months left on my contract, the kids were into everything they could find and on top of all that our "friend" we are renting from wants us out by the 1st of February! Gary is already working 6 days a week trying to get the house done so we can move! This week has gone much better! I went out to lunch with my friend Carol yesterday and I found some professional madeleine pans at the thrift store! They were $3.50 each and I saw them online for $74.00 new! So that was my score of the month! I also found another vintage waffle maker so now I have 4 in my collection! I have also been getting some yarn and batts done to list and I just ordered a yarn winder so that hopefully will help me get organized! Right now I am trying to stay calm about the upcoming move, but there is so much to do!!

Grace, I can't wait to see new babies! I hope all goes perfect when they do get here!!

I hope everyone stays warm and well! Have a great day!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  10:26:05 AM  Show Profile
It is almost 50 degrees here the sun is shining full force and everyone has a bee in their bonnet....

Sheri there are some reasons why coating a fleece can create more problems then solving the VM Matter. One thing is when there are dual coats that outer coat is like a coat - what happens if you then place another coat on it is the fibers rub, break and the animal also get's too sweaty.. That all equal felt... I spent many years trying to coat my sheep and in the end it was a waste. Coats work really good for those sheep with tons of lanolin, one staple length coats and much crimp. I would reconsider your way they feed, their environment and also when you shear. Those all seem to assist in clean fleeces more then a coat.

Monica I am glad the week is off to a better start - waffle iron collection - that is one I did not realize I had until you mentioned it but I admit mine are not antiques - just like having different styles and patterns to my waffles. Weird I am!

Oh, did I forget to mention - NO BABIES
However there are a couple of girls who are outside doing the up and down dance. You know the moves, scratch the ground sit down, wiggle your tail, up back up and do it all again... Well you would think as in past years the babies are a coming - I just think they want me to sit outside and get my hopes up.. Well, I am not doing it - O.K. I am doing it....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  10:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I am so glad to hear that you have warmer weather!! Yes this week is going better! I never intended on starting a waffle iron collection, but every so often I run across them and I think they are so neat! Half of them I got for free. Mine are probably not that old, but they are the old metal ones! I forgot that I even have an old stove top one! I have 2 round ones and 2 rectangular ones and the square stove top one! I found the last one at the thrift store for $2.50! Hope those babies come soon!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  11:30:48 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning. Thanks for the info on the coats. My sheep seem to find all kinds of stuff to get in their fleeces. We have a lot of pine around here and of course burrs - Just when I think I have them all erradicated, they turn up with more. They always seem to get a lot of stuff in the fleece. It gets very frustrating picking all of it out when I am washing. You mentioned how they feed. What is your suggestion to keep hay out of the fleece?

I don't envey you moving, Monica. However, it's a good time to weed out the non-essentials that tend to pile up when we aren't looking....

I'm back to cutting veneer today. I am doing hat boxes with quilt designs on the lids. I am hoping that I can sell them to help bring in some cash towards my property taxes. They turn out really neat - the outside is all wood with a clear lacquer finish so they can be cleaned just like a piece of furniture. I will post a picture when I get this one finished.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, The hat boxes sound really neat! Can't wait to see one! I have so many non-essentials that it will be good if for nothing else but to clear out all the stuff I have accumulated! The wonderful news is that I am actually going to have my very own craft room at the new house!!! I can't believe it!!! Yipee!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  5:27:20 PM  Show Profile
Good luck on the move. We have now been here 3 years and I am still going through boxes!! I got tired when we first moved and then just didn't have the time. Now I am going through stuff, again, and getting rid of stuff!!!!

Sheep are doing great. Hoping we will sometime in near future have a lamb or 2. Sally has had the last 2 years so hoping this year she will too.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  6:58:52 PM  Show Profile
I am looking forward to clearing stuff out and hopefully having a fresh start on getting organized! I only want to take what I can store properly at the new house with the exception of my fiber and wheels!! That all goes no matter what! I have to say I got some wonderful news today on the new house! We are adding on on the front of the house and I was hoping to be able to make part of it a craft room! Well Gary talked to his boss today and his boss, Steve replied " Well you can't argue with your wife" SO I am going to have MY VERY OWN CRAFT ROOM!!!!! I am so very excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It won't be that big, but big enough and my very own space!!!!!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  03:32:22 AM  Show Profile
Monica I am jealous in a very kind way!!! That is what I will need to have eventually here added on. My thought is we want to make money from it so I will need the room, what do you think???

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  07:38:56 AM  Show Profile
How exciting for you, Monica!! It's always so cool to have a dedicated space. I am spoiled as I live by myself so just about every room is a craft room. As the kids moved out I just absorbed their rooms. I have a sewing room with floor to ceiling windows on one wall with a big island for cutting. In my daughters room which is right off my sewing room, I have all of my dried material that I harvest in the summer for my dried flower projects - there are wires strung across that I hang my material on when it is harvested. I don't think there is a room in the house that doesn't have some kind of craft supplies in it. I have a niche in my front room that I have all my fiber related stuff - my wheels and whatever fiber that I am currently working on. It's a great spot in the winter as it's the warmest spot in the house and right by the stereo so I have all kinds of great tunes to listen to as I spin. You will love it. I think everyone should have their own space if it can be managed.

Back to cutting veneer....have a great day all.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  09:02:20 AM  Show Profile
Rae, That sounds absolutely logical to me!!!

Sheri, I am so excited about having my own bit of space! I will probably take over the kids rooms as they move out too, but for me that a long ways off! Isaiah will be 8 next month, Hannah will be 6 in March and Olivia will be 5 in April so I have about 13 years at least before I will be without kids at the house!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  09:42:02 AM  Show Profile
Monica, enjoy them while they are young - time passes so quickly. My baby got married and turned 24 this fall. I think it's great that you spin and are enjoying it so. So many women put themselves on hold while they raise their families and lose themselves in the process. I think we need to do both to live a balanced life. I always made it a point for my kids to see me as a person, separate from just being their mom. It's too easy for kids (adult ones too) to lose sight that their parents are more than just their parents. Moms are people first, moms second. Sometimes I think we get it backwards. As the saying goes, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". I wish you great joy in your new digs. If I were closer, I'd help you sort and move. It's definately a chore.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  10:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, It's so easy to lose yourself being a mom! If I didn't spin and sew I would absolutely go nuts! The kids are all fascinated with spinning and Olivia, who is 4 keeps asking me to show her how to do it!! I am actually looking forward to packing I think partly because I am so very excited to finally move! It will be a joy to unpack the boxes and be able to have everything organized!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  09:11:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gang!!! Yep NO BABIES

Sheri those boxes sound amazing - I can't wait to see some photo's..
I know by the time you make the item and then you have to take pictures.. They just sound amazing to me.

Rae - glad everyone in your neck of the woods are doing find - I keep seeing you in my mind talking to you sheep and they answering back - it is a great feeling. Heck your husband must be a good guy if those sheep have him around their tails so quickly.

Monica - You know I would be there to help but I will be there in spirit - I know that is not much help when it comes to packing and keeping kids under control during this time. Been there so many times - just know if I could I would...

As for me - went into town to get feed for the 4 a 2 legged folks - had hoped maybe someone would cough up a baby - no such luck. One of my girls is acting a bit strange - talking all the time and she never talks, she went after Mother Goose something horribly for the past two days - so bad I had to lock both of them up because even after I put Mother Goose up Kate keeps smashing the pen for hours so I put her up and she then kept smashing her pen but at least she was not hurting anyone but herself. Not sure what is up - these two have always gotten along. I have had numerous reports of farms who are having animals doing this before, during and after the earthquake. Around here now we have huge military transport plane flying out and so that also stirs the pot.

I have checked over Hansels head that he cut open - found out what happened - the boys had bent a piece of metal on the huge loafing shed and then he ramed it and cut his head. With all the blood Sherlock tried to comfort and the fight started - not really a fight but just one trying to help when the other did not wish to be touched. Silly Billies - but I can say it is all O.K. Now I just have to get them to agree to let me wash their faces and I have to figure out how to fix this metal thing. Never dull around here.

You ladies have a great day and I think if someone does not have a baby soon I am going to start raising Gerbils..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  7:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Grace, The warm wishes mean so much and half of the time I don't know where to start so if I did have help we would probably both end up standing around!! haha!! I will be praying that those babies come soon!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  04:09:43 AM  Show Profile
I am very fortunate to have a husband that fully supports all of my crafting. When we built this house, he made sure I had a craft room in the house, out of the way, with doors that shut, because he knows that having to drag everything out and put it back up can really cut down on crafting time. With a full time job and 3 children, there isn't much time to begin with. A few years after we moved in, he also bought a portable building, insulated it, finished it out inside, wired it for lights and outlets, built me a huge crafting table, and heated and air conditioned it. He uses the loft for storage and the rest is mine to really spread out in!

When I first took up spinning, he thought I was crazy. Now that I can spin stuff that really looks like yarn, he is really excited. He has had cattle since we were in high school, but prices of feed and hay are so high, that we are slowly downsizing to the ones that are really just big pets. He bought the kids a couple of nanny goats and their twins last spring. My nine year old son just thinks the world of them. We rescued a Jacob sheep and two dorpers from a lady that had way too many in too small a space, and now he has bought some shetland crosses and is talking about getting out of cattle all together and raising sheep exclusively.

Don't know why I told all of you this. I guess I am just so proud of him and how understanding he is that I NEED to craft. It is a release for me and I think he understands that!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  08:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Lori, Thank you for sharing with us!!! It's good to brag about your hubby!!!! I am the same way with my spinning! I would go nuts with 3 kids if I didn't have a release! It is so relaxing to sit down and card wool or spin in the evening after the kids are in bed! I would love to have animals someday!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  08:29:59 AM  Show Profile
I love that you shared about your wonderful husband - I know sometimes they get a bad rap and it sounds as if your husband loves you and understands the need to create. Many folks I know in the cattle business have also been downsizing and some left the business too. It is so hard to maintain a livestock business with feed prices, gov. regulations and time issues - I am sure your family will find their way into a new venture. We are all rethinking our business plans in this economy..

I visited your etsy and love the Sherk in a Blender - way clever.. Love seeing what other spinners are up too and please share often with the group.

Monica, me stand around - you know me - if there is not something to do I will find something to do. Last night I finished two more of the embrodiery gifts I did not get done in time for Christmas so soon they will be going to their new homes. I am calling them Valentines Presents.

Guess what ladies - NO BABIES Maybe I will go back into the Angora Bunny Business - they have babies all the time. At least I do not have to go far to check butts with bunnies - who am I kidding I love my silly goats..

Take care ladies it is to be 56 tomorrow so barn cleaning and moving hay again for me - I am so excited.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  1:14:41 PM  Show Profile
Lori, How wonderful that your husband is so supportive of who you are and what you love. Not everyone is that lucky! I am very lucky as my partner of 20 years is so supportive. In fact he re-wired my swing-arm lamp on my work table where I cut my veneer before he left this morning. I too have been blessed that way. Not enough guys get the credit they deserve.

I'm with you Grace - standing around or just hanging out aren't in my nature either. I am always working on something. Only 4 more pieces of veneer to go and my first box is finished and ready to sand and spray. I have gotten out of practice as I was so busy all last year with the wedding I didn't cut a single piece of veneer. I don't think I will put my art on hold that long again. I will post pics. as soon as the rough in is done so you will know what I am talking about.

With this warmer, wetter weather, the sheep come running to the gate every time I go outside just hoping for goodies. Spoiled rotten, they are. My grandkids refer to them as the baa-baa-loos so now they come en masse when the phrase is hollered. They are a kick that's for sure.

Your patience must be wearing thin, Grace. It's sorta like waiting for a pot to boil....

Guess it's back to work and get that box done. Too many interruptions. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  2:39:59 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! I get a 3 day weekend, yippppeeeeee. Teachers have workshops and being a peon I get it off Same thing next weekend. Really need some extra time here to do this and that, I am sure you all know what I mean

Got another order for my crocheted/knitted potholder, dishrag sets. Sold 3 so far and just started.

My sheep yell too, well Sally does anytime we go outside. I have a good hubby too. Actually I think he wants my sheep to like him more but that is ok cause we are a team. I am going to be working up to that extra room addition in near future, but one step at a time.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  2:58:15 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday!! I just got done washing 4 loads of laundry with a break in the middle to take the kids out for ice cream! Now I am going to try out my new yarn winder! I made labels to wrap around my yarn so that they stay nice and neat so I am going to go play! I am also going to try and get some dyeing in! I am pushing lately to get more stuff listed on my etsy page so that maybe it will sell and I wound have as much to move!!!

Grace, I sure wish you were closer!! I keep plugging away at stuff, but every so often I don't have a clue where to start! I did manage to get my one craft table all cleaned up and organized and that made a huge difference! It had gotten to be such a mess! I even took before and after pics! Do I dare ask if there are any new babies?

Rae, Sounds like you are going to have fun having a few days off!! Congrats on the sales!

Sheri, I can't wait to see your boxes! They sound really pretty!

Well I am off to play with some yarn!! Oh I forgot to say that I am getting a set of combs! I don't know what kind they are, but my friend Mary is getting a new set and said I could have her old ones! This week is going much better! The kids have even been REALLY good the past few days and I also found $10.00 that I had misplace a while back!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jan 16 2010 3:02:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

kkprice
True Blue Farmgirl

301 Posts

Karen
Davisburg MI
USA
301 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  5:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I just found this thread and I'm so excited -- I want to talk about goats and wonderful hubbies, too! My twin goat babies will be a week old tomorrow. I am having so much fun with them. My whole family is finally getting into this goat thing with me!

Follow your bliss!
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  5:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Finally got some pictures of my box.

Still has no finish but easier to photograph with no shine yet. I have never tried to sell these - do you think they will sell?

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

kkprice
True Blue Farmgirl

301 Posts

Karen
Davisburg MI
USA
301 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  5:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful. Yes -- they will sell. How big is it?

Follow your bliss!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page