Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  12:35:48 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Rae - Grace you make me feel so lazy.... I am still working on my candy. Tomorrow my son and his new wife, and my daughter and her 4 kids (6,5,2,11 mo.) will be here to work on Christmas projects for gift giving. Then on Monday it's back in the kitchen to make lefse - a messy proposition but not Christmas without it. Making lefse makes me feel so connected to my grandmother and mom who are now gone. I always miss them the most as the holidays.

It's raining here on top of our snow so it's a sloppy mess. I sold a couple of bales of hay to a guy who is feeding his neighbors horse since the neighbor isn't. Poor horse. The creek is frozen and the poor thing doesn't even have water. At least the neighbors are looking out for it's welfare. It just makes my blood boil to see animals treated this way. I don't even think it's a financial issue just a moral one. Grrrr....Sorry but I just had to say this to someone.

Hope all is going along well for everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  12:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - the oven is on and the goodies are smelling up the whole house. I made my 5 spice brittle nut mix, the hot and spicey chex mix, the Russian Tea Cookies, the Macaroons, the ginger bread cookies using my new "Angora Goat" cookies cutter. This great man in the mountains fashioned me a huge owl on a branch and also a perfect Angora Goat cookie cutter. I must admit I was like a little kid when they arrived. I could not wait to try them out. I will try to get pictures up on the blog of the cookies and cutters but only after all the baking is down. Time is ticking and I still have much to bake.

Sheri - I have to ask - what is lefse? I am always fasinated with recipes - love to know what this is??

Rae I love how your sheep are now such a part of your family - love hearing about them. glad to hear that Nellie is holding her own. It is hard when the little shy ones don't get their far share. I make it a point to give them things first and then a bit extra as the big pigs are eating. My shy one get spoiled I admit.

Well, I am hearing the oven buzzer - got to run. Love to know what is cooking in the kitchen today for you ladies, if you have the time and can get the flour off you hands.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  1:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi All - Just a quick break from making lefse. Lefse looks like a flour tortilla but is made from mashed potatoes that have butter, cream and flour added. They are rolled a thin as possible with a special rolling pin and baked on a very hot griddle. They are eaten cold spread with butter and sugar and rolled up like a crepe. They are traditional Scandanavian fare. My mother, Nana, and Aunt always made them as a team. It's an art to be sure and took me a long time to master it. I still don't think they are as good as my Nana's but the family loves them at the holidays. It's my big connection with my family traditions now that they have all passed.

It is pouring down buckets of rain here. The sheep are hiding out in the barn. By the time I got chores done this AM I was soaked through and through. Guess I should get back to it. Have fun baking.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  7:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, Wish I was closer, I would let you borrow my drum carder!! I am fascinated with the Lefse! I have seen those rolling pins before, but never knew what they were for! I love traditional foods like that! I haven't gotten much baking done besides a batch of fudge and pizzelles for the Christmas party! Somehow once again everything has gotten very hectic at the holidays so I just stopped! We even skipped potluck at church last night! I really hate the way everything goes so crazy this time of year! I am going to make a cherry teacake for hubby tonight though! Where do you get your candy recipes from? I have found some for dipping chocolates from old cookbooks, but it seems that most new cookbooks don't really have the recipes I am looking for!

Oh Grace, can I come over for Russian Tea Cookies! Those are my favorites!! I am so getting in the mood to bake hearing about all of the goodies!

I hope everyone is warm and having a wonderful evening!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  10:16:30 PM  Show Profile
Monica, what type of recipes are you looking for? I started with a class about 20+ yrs. ago to learn the basics but then I've played with the centers until I came up with my own flavors. I would be happy to share the recipes that I have. Others like toffee and caramel and fondant were from my grandmother. Tomorrow I start baking cookies. Of course Russian Tea Cookies(I think that is everyone's Christmas standard), Rolled Wafer Cookies called Cigarette Rouses - they taste similar to a fortune cookie but are rolled while they are hot around a dowel and when cool one end is dipped in chocolate, shortbread snowflake cut-outs that are dipped in course white sanding sugar, and spritz with the candied cherries in the center. I think I will have about 15 or so for Christmas dinner.

Looks like grandchild number 6 is about to make an entrance. She is having contractions tonight and her doctor says if she doesn't go by morning they will check her in and induce her tomorrow. So sometime real soon we will have another little boy. I think they decided to name him Aiden. So if you wouldn't mind putting Alicia and Aiden in your prayers I would surely appreciate it. A safe delivery will be the best Christmas gift of all.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  06:03:27 AM  Show Profile
I sure will keep your family in my prayers Sheri. I know the child will arrive without a hitch and be just perfect.

Monica, I am with you about this time of year.... I have dropped so many of the crazy things I once thought important and stick with those things that bring me joy. I got up early this morning to pop the Springle in the oven before I get ready to go into town for the last of the food requirements. We are expecting a snow storm tonight so I will make sure everything is done before noon.

I will be back later to check in with you all but for now I am getting in the truck and if the wind does not carry me to far I should be back soon. Button down those hatches...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  10:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. We have us a healthy baby boy!! He was born at 8:16 this morning and weighed in at 7.4 lbs and is 20 1/2" long. All went well - she went to the hospital at 3:00 am. Now we can all relax and get into the holiday celebratory mood...

The cookie dough is calling. Will check in again later. Hope you had a safe, uneventful drive to town, Grace.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  10:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Grace are you getting the storm that is supposed to hit us on Christmas eve??

I got hit with the flu on Saturday and this is the first day I have felt like even checking the computer. Not my idea of a good time at all.

Hope you all have a blessed Christmas and will check in again soon, I hope !!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  7:10:53 PM  Show Profile
Rae, hope you are feeling better. That flu sure knotted the wind out of my sails.
We started our Christmas vacation today at noon. I don't go back until Jan. 4th. I am really looking forward to resting and quilting, spinning, and warping up 3 of my looms. Why is it that I always have to clean my studio before I can so anything????
Sherry, I wish I was a mouse in your kitchen...sounds so good! I know yours does too, Grace. I made fudge, peanut clusters (hubby's favorite) and German Chocolate cake so far. I tested and now also diabetic so sweets are not in my diet...I have always loved sweets and coke.
Sherry congratulations on the new baby!
The sheep and the dogs seem to be happier now that the weather is cooler. I went out to a barnyard love in this afternoon...the little shetland ewes and some of the young ewes just surround me and wait on a good petting and a little snuggling. The pups Lady and Sadie are getting so big! They also love to be petted and hugged. I won't be lambing until the middle of March this year. I will miss Ang's help this year. I have not put anything on my blog for awhile but plan to get some new pictures up over vacation.
I started washing a fleece tonight. I am so far behind but I am going to watch what I am doing so that I don't get down again. When I feel good...I feel good and go day and night like I did 10 years ago...my hubby got me a new big soft recliner...if you stop by in the afternoon, you might catch me napping!
May the good Lord keep you warm, dry, and cozy during the upcoming storms. God Bless you all and have a very Merry Christmas!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.

Edited by - Keeper of the Past on Dec 22 2009 7:31:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  8:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, Congratulations!!!!! I would love to find a book about making chocolates! I have an old cookbook that has some info on dipping chocolates, but I would love more info!

Rae, I am praying that you are feeling better!

Grace, I am praying that everyone is well and warm at you place! I hope you are not snowed in!

Sarita, Glad to hear that all is well! Have fun on vacation! I would love to see new pics!

I hope everyone has a warm cozy night!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  06:01:53 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies - it is 10 degrees right now and gentle snow is falling. I have been up since 3 am - checking on animals and baking.

Congrat's Sheri on the new addition. I had my first son 26 years ago on the 19th of December on the coldest day recorded in Colorado. He still loves the bitter cold and the more snow the better. I hope you all enjoy the new bundle.

Rae, I am so sorry that you have not been feeling well - take it easy and just enjoy the holidays with your new additions.

Sherry, I with you - a bit behind with fleeces waiting to be washed but I promised myself and my sons I would not mix holiday cooking smells with the smell of wool washing... I guess to some it is not a good smell. I love peanut clusters, I have not made those in an age - Oh, I think I have some peanut left and I always have chocolate in the cupboard. Thanks for the idea..

Well, I am starting on the next round of cookies and my pumpkin pies. I finished the deviled eggs, herbed goat cheeses and my famous mexican roll ups. The red cabbage will go in the slow cooker tomorrow morning but I have finished the prep work. I pound cakes are almost cool so then they will be wrapped and ready for the baskets. I am waiting for the sun to rise so I can get out and shovel and make my way to the mail box - orders to go out - I love it folks are still asking if they can get things by Christmas!!! Silly folks..

You all have a great day - Santa is getting those reindeer ready.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  09:47:20 AM  Show Profile
Hello all. Glad to see you post Sarita - I've been thinking about you and wondering what was up. I'm back to baking again today. Still cookies and then mini spinach quiches and rolls.

Hope you are feeling better Rae. Just take it as easy as you can.

I will be happy to share what candy recipes that I have, Monica. After the holiday madness I will scan them and mail them to you - just remind me I tend to space stuff off when I get busy!!

Have a great, productive, joyful day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  1:49:24 PM  Show Profile
I think I am needing more sleep!!! The snow is still coming down and the forest is looking like a the perfect postcard of Winter Wonderland. I had a question for you gals with animals that I must say has my little gray cells swimming. This morning I had my second to the top head goat girl standing outside the barn in the bitter snow. She is the one who plowed me into the barn last year and is not what I would call nice by any stretch. When I arrived to do my three hour check on the girls she was standing outside covered in snow giving me a crusty look. When I walked her into the barn my third in line head girl started fighting with her non stop. We are not talking small head butts but really going after her. I stopped them several times but the moment I let go of them they started up again. Normally these two are friends. Finally fearing for the unborn babies I placed them in pens on either side of the barn. Even thru the pens they acted like they wanted to get at each other. After all these years I have never had this happen to the extent and duration - WHAT in the world is going on???

I sure would love to hear your thoughts, experiences and such. They are still separated and still banging their pens. STRANGE

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2009 :  11:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas everyone. I imagine everyone is busy busy trying to get the last minute preparations done. Me too. I hope everyone is taking some time to just take a deep breath and enjoying the moment.

I don't have goats so I don't have any advice for you, Grace. I do know that sometimes pregnant animals get strange and very territorial. I know my Anatolian Shepherd dogs got along fine when they were in between litters but would tear each other apart when pregnant or lactating. Just be careful yourself and don't get hurt. I know - what does doggie wisdom have to do with goats - not much but animals are animals. I think it's just something in the air - there has been a lot of weird things going on in the world. Hopefully someone with goat wisdom will chime in.

No snow here - a peek of sunshine, which is fine with me after last years record snows. At least travel will be safe this year. Have a great holiday everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2009 :  7:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas to all of you! I pray that you all have a wonderful safe and very blessed Christmas! We are home from the kid's Christmas play at church tonight and nothing left to do but snuggle by the fireplace, spin and watch It's a Wonderful Life! I must say that today for Gary and I, it's our 11th anniversary! I can't believe it's been that long and I still love him dearly!

Goodnight and stay warm!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2009 :  8:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Merry Christmas Ladies!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2009 :  05:45:20 AM  Show Profile
A very Merry Christmas to you all!!! I am among the living again, slowly. Still weak but everyday is better. We are in blizzard warning today. Got a good amount of snow yesterday, about a good foot. It was fluffy but last night got heavy and fantastic snowball kind. Don't need any rain though with this and that is a concern with warm.

Sheep don't seem to mind with their nice wool coats. I wanted to go out at midnight to see if they talked as legend says on Christmas
Chickens are happy and starting to lay more eggs, see they must know it is Christmas .
Lots of work today to get things cleared out. Hope you all enjoy your day!
Blessings to all
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2009 :  10:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas Everyone!!

It is a Christmas Miracle. Two of my very old hens who have not layed an egg for almost 6 months - Well, they gave me a present - an egg each this morning. WOW

Still no babies but spent most of the night in the barn because everyone was very antsy... I have everything ready for the folks coming today and we will include everyone in this forum in our prayers tonight at dinner. Which I could have you all here - great food and even better conversation. I wish you all a happy day, safe, warm and full of love. Rae you take care of yourself and let us know if those sheep talk. I sure know my goat can not shut up some days. Monica give Gary a hug from me and a happy Anniversary to you both. Thanks Sheri for the advise - I have had them fight but this was like a knock down, drag out, grudge match... I know what you mean about the mother dogs - boy can they go at it - we had to keep them so far apart because just the sight of each other would cause a world war.

Well, back to the kitchen - you all have a wonderful day. Keep your fingers crossed that no babies decide to show up while we are eating...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2009 :  11:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas everyone!

Rae, Glad to hear that you are up and about! I want to know too, if the sheep talk! I hope you stay warm with all of that snow and don't ever do it!!

Grace, I just had to go look at your etsy and of course I saw the dyed ringlets so now they are all mine!hehe!! I hope you have a wonderful dinner and you are all in my prayers too! If you have a baby between now and New Years, you ought to name it Noel! What fun to get eggs today! Yipee!

I hope you all stay warm and healthy and have a wonderful blessed Christmas day!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  08:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Would any of you mind if I joined in too? Did you all have a good Christmas? I did, but it's so diffrent without my grandpa there. Anyway, it is a beautiful frosty morning, the sun is shining, birds are singing, it's a wonderful sight. :) We did not get any snow this Christmas sadly. Did any of you? So how many of you have Sheep and goats? I have 3 beautiful nubian goats! 2 does and one buck. My does are pregnant now ( One of them was not ready to be pregnant and I'm real worried about her) and we are getting ready for babies. We think that one of them is due in Febuary and the other in May. We shall see!
Well I think thats all for now. I would love it if I could join in! Thanks!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  08:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Grace, Have you ever had to pull a baby? I am hoping I don't have to do that with my doe, but I won't know because this is her first time of kidding. Any tips?
Hugs,
channah

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  09:32:03 AM  Show Profile
Channah, Yes by all means please join in! We would love to have you! We had a quiet Christmas with everyone here having a bit of sniffles! I think I am the only one here without animals, but I love all of the info I am getting from these wonderful ladies here!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  10:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Another wonderful white Christmas at the Funny Farm. I hope everyone had a great day - ate way too much, had tons of laughs and hugs - a perfect day was had by all. My sons even trimmed some toenails on the goat girls and one of the male pry's (who it takes two folks to hold down before he allows you to start) so everyone had a great day.

Monica I saw your order - you will love those soft locks. Thanks for you wonderful support of my business but more importantly your friendship.

Welcome Channah - love having you hear - there are such great ladies here and we are always hoping for more. Sounds like you had a great Christmas and some babies in your future. I have lost count of how many babies I have pulled over the years, sheep, goats, llamas, alpacas and even a couple of puppies. If you would like I can couple you some the of pages I have from books about pulling or assisted deliveries. Just email me. As for extra tips that I learned, First most times I never use the pulling strings - it is a rubber band like instruments with loops on the end - I find my hand or a portion of my hand works best. Second trim nails down to nothing, leave jewerly off at all times and have gloves in every pocket of every piece of clothing. Next, breathe and be brave. I know it is scarey but it is something that your goat may be counting on you to do to save her life and the life of that baby so now is not the time to be shy. You can always after everything is done go into the house and cry or have a stiff drink. Always have a well supplied vet kit in the barn at all times and make sure you know what and how to use those items.

I will gladly copy information for you but also having a couple of good books on your self will see you thru the bad times. I wish you healthy, easy deliveries but we all know sometimes we get problems but we are here to help you thru those times.

Hope everyone has a great day today - I am planning a nap to catch up on all my missed sleep. Oh a maybe some spinning - just itching to make something special.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  10:39:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello all. Hope everyone had a great time yesterday. It was a hectic day and all the little kiddos were so cranked!! But it's always fun to see the little ones so excited. I had 10 here for dinner. I am looking forward to just veging out for the next couple of days....a little spinning in front of the TV sounds good to me.

How's your goat war going, Grace? Any sign of babies???

Welcome Channah - always good to have a new voice on these pages. I hope your family is getting over their sniffles without any problems, Monica. Same for you, Rae, glad to hear you are on the mend.

Have a great day ladies.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  10:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you ladies for the warm welcome!! I look forward to meeting you all and learning!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page