ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  10:34:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, I just adore your blog -your place is just like mine!! Your fibers are wonderful too !!

Michele, Congrats are in order, its great to be a grandma!! ( I am grandma to 3 lil farmgirls)
the older they get the more fun it is to show them "life on the farm" !!

Counting my Blessings this Thanks giving !!

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  04:55:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kind words Cindy - they mean alot... Tuesday was no walk in the park - my mother worked herself up into a trip to the emergency room - had to deal with it long distant. Seems like this time of year is always involving medical trauma. I am sending prayers out to everyone to be strong, healthy and peacefull for this holiday season.

Eboney was acting like she wanted to give birth last night. Last year she delivered on the 30th of November but this would be way to early for my calculations so Yes, another night in the barn with a goat in my lap. Don't get me wrong I love being with my girls but I must admit the thing with my mother took it out of me. Oh Well as I always so to my sons "No Whinning".

Michele I am sure your black and white yarns are marvelous and I would love to see what they turn out like when felted. When I am spinning for myself I love to just make simple, well spun natural yarns. It gives me the animal not all the fancy tricks.

Well, I guess I will share that my newly married son is expecting a boy in April.. I may be a new grandma to a two legged but I have been one for many years and hundreds of four legged babies. I am much better at four legged then two - besides the four legged moms are so much easier to deal with..

I better go and get ready for another off the wall day. Hope everyone stay well and enjoys their Thanksgiving. I have most of the meal done just in case we get crazy aroud here. Hugs to all.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  05:50:46 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Grace, our #7 will be here in March. Grandchildren are a wonderful blessing, they do go home at the end of the day
Hope all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know I have lots to be thankful for this year, including all of you my dear new friends!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  2:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Just dusted the flour off my hands so I could wish you all a happy Thanksgiving. Congrats on the new grandbaby, Grace. I am up to #6 the end of December. Back to my pies and rolls - 18 for dinner tomorrow. Hope you all have the best of days. Prayers your way for your Mom(s), Grace.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  7:08:24 PM  Show Profile
I hope you all have had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! I have spent the past 2 days baking and cooking and I am so worn out but it went very well! We had 11 people for dinner and it was really nice! Now I am going to go curl up on the couch and do nothing at all!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  08:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies - Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are that the dishes are done and your kitchens are back to normal. I made some wonderful dishes and ate too much so I was up till midnight trying to get sleepy. I think I finished the last of my holiday shopping on line late last night so now all that is left is my hand sewing projects that will be going to new homes.

As for the four leggs here - the chickens got their holiday egg nog pancakes, the goats got their sliced pears and my sweet hard working dogs got eggs with bacon. Their tummies are happy and long hours of snuggling was had by all. Today they are saying we will be in the low 70's but snow by Sunday - what a roller coaster ride. I guess I better get outside before the weather changes. The goat girls are getting round and big - the thought of babies gets me all excited.

Have a great day everyone and hope you where not sitting out for door buster stuff!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  10:24:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!! I have a question and a "I'm so excited I'm gonna bust" announcement to share.

First, those of you with blogs...how do you manage to find time to keep them updated? Do you set aside a special time? Is it something you do every day? How do you get more (any!) readers? Any tips would be appreciated. My blog is underutilized at the moment.

And the announcement!! I'm sooooo excited! I finally got my Etsy shop off the ground. This is something I've wanted to do for such a long time. My hope is mostly that it'll help pay for the animal food so the fiber animals can pay for themselves. I've got a promotion running for Cyber Monday (today) and some raw fiber (besides the other goodies) that you may be interested in. I have some Icelandic locks...I had my Icelandic, Bronte, sheared a month or so ago and she had the loveliest fleece...all curly locks, brown and white. I took out the nicest ones and washed them all gently by hand and I'm selling them in 1 oz. lots. There are two left. There's also some art batts if you need any raw fiber. If you like checking out new Etsy fiber stores we're at www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com. Would love to know what you think of the shop.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Céleste
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
reindeerstationfarm.blogspot.com

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ."
www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  3:25:40 PM  Show Profile
Congrat's Celeste on your Etsy shop. I wish you all the best.. As for keeping up with a blog - well, I can't. I keep telling myself to set a schedule but around here that is just plain wishful thinking. I do it when I can - sometimes it is like an over load of info from me and then it is quite from me for a week or so. We do what we can and that is all we can do.

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and has survived all the holiday purchasing madness. I sold a ton off line to folks at my varies shops so that was great!! Finished several custom orders - HAY! Created new goodies for my in otwn shop and when not doing all that I started painting the hallway upstairs. Yep, a busy bee who could not sleep.

What new projects have you all been working on??? Any great gift ideas that you have been making in your work rooms??

Again, congrat's Celeste - have fun!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  09:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. I am so glad that Thanksgiving is over - ended up with 20 for dinner. We are finally getting some much needed sunshine - it gets so dreary here with long stretches of gray/fog and very low light. The only hitch is an arctic blast with the sun - brrrrr. My poor chickens huddle under the heat lamp. I stay away from the stores on "black" weekend - it's too insane for this gal.

Have been working on some ornaments, knitting socks, a lacy scarf and carding some wool. Now I am gearing up for making candy. I always do a lot of dipped chocolates to give as gifts.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  11:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Hello, well Nellie had a birthday Monday she is one and her brother Billy is 2 today. My grandson called to be sure we wish them happy birthday.

I never go on that Friday,yuck. Shopping is not my idea of a good time. Did a lot online and gift cards this year. Next year I really hope to make a lot more of our gifts.

Hope all are doing well.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  12:31:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies from cold Colorad - I had -8 last night and this morning was bitting cold when doing chores. I never mind the cold but I am waiting on my new gloves so the old ones do not do much to keep my fingers warm. I found a great guy on Etsy who made me a pair of coyote pelt Mittens. I am so excited that I started to look at my two coyote pelts I have and thinking of designing me a hat. I must admit I have them hanging on the wall next to my computer and while I wait for my slow dial up to do things I pet the pelts - strange I know but I really really love fur. Behind the computer I have two full pelts of badger. I have numerous pelts and love them all but there is nothing like going out side on a bitter cold morning and hugging my goats, stroking my dogs and watching the deer sit in my driveway. I will post some new photo's of my deer family on the blog tonight - my sweet orphan doe has a husband and a baby - wow see I am a grandma again....

Sounds like Sheri you are very busy with your holiday prep and Rae Happy birthday to all!! I am with you shopping is a chore not a fun activity. I have either made all my presents or have purchased them from Etsy artists.

Monica gave me a great treat in the mail the other day - she shared some on her Lincoln lockets that she purchased - I have been petting it while deciding what creation to make from it. THANKS so very much Monica - I have been snugging it for days.

Well, stay warm ladies and how many more days till Christmas???

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  2:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am glad you like the fiber I sent you!! Since you have been my biggest influence with spinning, I just couldn't resist sharing with you and I figured I had to send you enough to be able to make something! As I said the hardest part was not saying anything till you got the package!! It got down to 30 here last night!

Rae, Happy Birthday to Nellie and Billy! My mom's birthday was Monday also!! I never go out shopping on black Friday!

Sheri, dipped chocolates sound yummy. I am not sure how much baking and candy making I am going to get done this year!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  1:33:53 PM  Show Profile
We haven't dipped below 0 yet but it is just around the corner. Hubby is finishing up some tin work on the sheep shed and it is nice in there now, no wind blowing through near the top. The sheep all stand around him watching him closely with Sally voicing her opinion every once in a while Nice because she can keep an eye on things so I can do other stuff

We for our first time living her have our wood all cut,split and stacked in our new lean to. We are so excited!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  09:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. It is so c-o-l-d....I am sure you know what I mean as this arctic blast seems pretty far flung. I don't mind the cold so much but these high winds make it so bitter out. Makes doing chores a whole different ball game. No measurable snow just a dusting - enough to make travel slick for anyone brave enough to go shopping. Hope everyone is staying warm.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  3:06:21 PM  Show Profile
I hope all is well with everyone with this arctic weather. Did you get caught up in the snow storms Monica and Grace? How bout you Rae? We haven't had any snow but it is super cold. It was 7 below this morning and the high for today is supposed to be 13. Crazy weather huh? I am just grateful that the high winds finally quit. Stay warm everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone - BRRRRRRRRRRR. It is -5 right now with out the wind chill. They say we are to go really low tonight - Yeah like last night did not freeze me to the bones. I was in and out checking on both Eboney and Kasha. So very little sleep and just never seemed to get myself warm. Of coarse when te weather is Nasty one of my girls will just have to deliver.... So another day of back and forth to the barn and that will happen again tonight.

So now that I am done whinning on to other things.. Last night when I was way too cold to sleep I picked up working on my yarn wreaths. I went digging in my fur pelts also to add to the wreaths. The made yarn oranments and tonight I might sew the felt holly leaves I cut out. I had hoped to spin but the cold just had them too stiff to be any good. So what projects are you all working on?? It keeps my mind thinking when I hear of the many talented projects you ladies are working on - and heck in this weather I think most of the little gray cells are frozen.

Off to check on my girls again. I am like a little kid, I get all bundled up and two mintues outside and I have to go - Yes, Mommy I did visit the little girls room before hand - something about the cold!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  4:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Started snowing a little while ago here and I can hear the wind picking up outside, brrrr, so will see what comes out of it. But we have the wood burning here is the house so nice and toasty. Also got the little things done on sheep shed so should be pretty nice for them and being they didn't get sheared they have the nicest and warmest coats of us all!!

I have been crocheting potholders and knitting dish rags to sell as well as gifts. Just got done with the 5th set, sold 2 and 2 are gifts so far.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  09:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Cold weather sure does make for more work! Or at least makes the work seem a little harder. I spent Tuesday getting ready for the big snow storm. Went to town and ground feed, hauled and fed round bales to the cows, hauled manure, put the bucket on the loader of the tractor and filled her up with diesel. Summer and Connie (future milker) were snuggly in the barn, along with Leo (Summers calf), and the sheep. Had the other end of the barn open for the beef to get in out of the wind. I felt pretty good about everyone being able to get out of the wind and snow.
I am working on my second pair of felted slippers. I hope to get a pair made for myself as well. Got to get back to spinning so I can keep knitting. Ordered a few gifts on line, with free shipping!! Got a few things left to get in town, and then sit down to the sewing machine, and sew some flannel pants for everyone. Made my cards yesterday too. I printed a picture of my dog Ruby and the beef cows. Then glued that to a white card, and added a few snowflake punchouts. Turned out pretty good. So been busy as a bee, but accomplishing alot. Stay warm everyone.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  3:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, We didn't get any snow here! We only get any just every so often! They did have 20 inches up in Flagstaff which broke the old record of 5 inches! It has been really cold here though! It had been about 30 the past few mornings and has not warmed up that much during the day!

Michele, You sure have been busy! I need to get busy on my Christmas stuff! I ordered one thing for hubby online and I am wondering when it will get here!

Grace, I hope you are staying warm! Any new babies yet?

Rae, I think the sheep do luck out have those great coats!!! I know sometimes when it's cold I think about just piling a fleece or two in bed and curling up in it!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Dec 09 2009 3:54:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  4:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Did not get much snow here but really windy and cold today. Talking windchill tomorrow of -25 to -35, little nippy. To be honest I hope we get some more snow soon for the sake of our pipes.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  5:53:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for all of your info. I am a first time sheep owner since May. I have 17 ewes which are Canadian Arcot cross. Now that I know a little more about breeds, I know that I am not real happy with there small frail legs. To improve them, I am breeding them this time to a Suffolk and I am going to get a Texal ram for next year. Thanks for all of the lambing advice I have read. I will be starting to lamb next month and here in Canada, it is rather cold here in the winter. I will keep on reading your dialogs and will keep learning. I also want to check out more on the spinning, sounds cool. My great aunt was a great spinner and hopefully I can learn something from her. Thanks again ladies!
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  02:53:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey Barb this is my first year as well so welcome to the rookie club
The information is fantastic here, I have learned so much and I am so appreciative to all the great ladies who are so willing to share (and answer some of my silly questions!)

I am in MN and we get cold here as well, in fact our windchill is -25 to -30 this morning. Warmed up was suppose to be -35. Stay warm!

How are you doing Grace, did you get hit with this last storm? We did not get much snow out of it.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  03:27:10 AM  Show Profile
Rae, thanks for the welcome, we haven't got that cold yet, today though, we are in a bad snow storm, we are in the snow belt area just off of lake Huron so we always get dumped on. My kids are so happy because they don't have to go to school because the roads are all closed! I have a question, what is the best breed for the best wool? I am just dabbling with my girls, but, who knows what someday may bring? I may as well start with some good ewes? Have a great warm day!
Barb
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  06:51:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies and Welcome Barb

Well, -42 Tuesday night, the heat went out - tried to start it and I know and sitting here with no eyebrows or eye lashes. Boy, that was interesting. Heater now fixed - it was because the guy how installed a new part did it wrong!!! I wont tell you what words I was saying.

We have handled much colder weather and without electricy so I was not worried. Girls are doing find but spent most of the time going back and forth checking on everyone - in this cold a animal can get into trouble fast.

Barb as for what fleece is the best that is like saying which icecream is the best. They all have their purposes, some better then others. Maybe if you tell us a bit about what you goals are for your farm we can assist in narrowing down the information. Also if you are selling for meat, milk, breeding and growth that also will limit what breeds you should be looking at. Next question is find your spinners in the area - talk with them about what they would love to have and what is not available locally. Then you will start to find that niche market. Next a good financial plan is important because some breeds are in the thousands of dollars for good stock where other you can purchase for a song. Then finding stock that will thrive in your environment without tons of extra's is going to make your bottom line better. See, it is not an easy answer but there are ways to get you to your answer and the best place to start is here...

Well, I am going to put on my five layers and do my check again - We got about 4 inches of snow but the howling winds kicked up drifts up to my thighs. They say we are to be 28 degree on Friday - WOW a heat way...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  08:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace for the advice. I have a little bit of research to do before making anymore purchases. I have a great aunt that is 93 who has spun all of her life. I have to go and visit her again before it is too late. Her mind is slipping a little, but, I am sure that she would be a great teacher. You want to talk about a true "farmgirl". She still cooked on a old cookstove until last year. Her children were scared she would burn down her old stone house. That is another topic altogether. I will keep in touch. God Bless.
Barb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page