grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  10:49:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi All - Snow, Snow and more SNOW!! Sorry for not writing sooner but I have been a bit busy here.

It has been snowing now since Tuesday afternoon and will not stop they say till maybe midnight tonight. So far we are at 2 1/2 feet but now the plains (where I am) has been getting hammered with winds hitting blizzard strength. The drifts in front of the barns and chicken coop where to my waist so it took a bit of time to shovel ever door out to feed this morning. I have been busy in the house painting and getting holliday decorations ready. I also spent the day before the storm hit getting the shop winterized and new displays in along with inventory counted and shelves stocked. I must admit I have been watching "Storm of the Century" a Stephen King classic - keeps me thinking at least the devil as not landed at the Funny Farm.

Monica, I am so happy for you - it is always a joy to know I have started someone down a path that brings them such passion and peace. When I first talked to you about how I LOVED spinning I know it can not translate until you have touched that same joy. Rae, I know that words are lost on those who have not a clue what thrill we get when a sweet one looks into our eyes while gaining trust in our daily feeding chores. Often I have tried to share that with folks and I get that blank look so I just stop talking. Others can not understand why I would sit in the freezing barn with birthing mothers just to calm them during this natural process. That's O.K. because I know there are others such as you gal's who know exactly what I am talking about.

Hugs to all and stay warm. I think I will have Tuscan White Bean Soup and Homemade Garlic and Herb Crackers for lunch...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  1:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Goodness you are getting your share of snow, Grace. It does make for more work. Good luck on getting all your decorations made, and I hope you have great sales.
We are getting rain here today. I got some wood cut last night and this morning, so at least I can stay warm. I am working on spinning my wool up now. Doing a little knitting inbetween. My yarn is looking nicer, alot less lumpy!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  4:34:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, tried to walk my long driveway to get the mail - WRONG! Kasha and I managed to get passed the first two drifts - thigh high but after that the snow was waist high and Kasha just did not have it in her to jump. So I had to pick up my 124 lb dog and try to make it back. O.K. Two face plants later we where back on to the shop door, wet, cold and pooped. I put her back in the house and I went about to get the evening chores done. Snowshoes this early??? I hope this is not what my winter will be like!!

Michele I am glad your yarn is getting where you want it.. I was last night picking some French Angora apart - dyed it with a marbling effect in a very bright lichen green - WOW it was much brighter then I wanted. Might redye with some darker pine in it but I noticed that I showed it to a couple of folks and they thought I should keep it so bright.. We will see. I am so snow blinded right now that all I see is spots.

So ladies, what you going to be for Halloween??? My pumpkin is under three feet of snow - Tomorrow starts my watching all the Halloween horror movies - what are your plans??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  7:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow Grace - I'll take my dusting of snow over your several feet any day of the week. I hope this won't be indicative of how your winter will go. After two winters here of record snow I really sympathize. Enjoy your soup and keep warm. I'm with you on the movie watching. No trick or treaters in my neck of the woods - too far off the road. I think I will sit in front of the TV and spin away the witching hours.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  9:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I have to say that when you get used to 120 in the summer, 75 is chilly and 40 is downright cold!! You can always tell the tourists from the locals here because the locals are all bundles up and the tourists are wearing t-shirts!!

Grace, I saw that Denver was getting hit hard with snow so I figured it was getting you too! I hope you and Kasha are well! I know that blank look you are talking about! I sometimes have people ask why don't I just buy yarn at Walmart! They totally don't get it! As far as animals go, I still miss Bam Bam and he was not even mine!

Michele, I am glad your yarn is working out better for you!!

Well I am off to clean up a bit and go play with some wool!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  03:30:43 AM  Show Profile
Morning everyone!! Grace how are you doing? We are still getting rain off of your storm, slight chance of some snow over weekend but they say nothing major.....if it were cooler I would be telling the same story as you.

Sheep are doing great and really liking hubby as much. He won't admit it but I think he likes them an awful lot Had an escapee chicken last night but found here. Penny chased her, trying to get her to me and she hid herself under some leave with just rear stinking out so easy to grab her.

Hope everyone has a good day, I will 'cause it is last day of work week!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  07:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - the snow has stopped - happy dance, happy dance

I made popcorn for the chickens this morning - their favorite. Put more petroleumn jelly on their combs. The Great Pry's have been rolling in the drifts and digging holes and tunnels. The goats are not as happy - the snow is taller then they are so they are staying in the barns till the sun works it's magic. We are to have 60 by Sunday so I will be needing a boat. Rae don't let you husband fool you - he know that when you are happy life is much sweeter besides who does not like sheep???

Monica, when my Mom lived in AZ for six years she still could not understand the weather. Coming from growing up in Germany with bitter weather and gloomy rain days she never got her blood to thin out. I guess we are cold loving people. Hope you are building up those cranking muscles. As soon as I can get the fiber production room a bit warmer I will be at the carding machine with my horror flicks. What is great about my Patrick Green is I just flick a button and that moster goes to work. I have about two hundred pounds of fiber just waiting for me to get to work. My silk finally cleared customs so maybe by the middle of next week they will be here. Hopefully by then I will either snowshoe or swim to the end of the driveway to get the mail. I love being far away from the road but when it snows like this well, I wont say what I say as I snowshoe that long driveway.

Sheri, I with you - spinning our wears is a great way to spend the bewitching hour. I might even have to make me a hot toddy or I treated myself to some eggnog from the health food store - Rum and Eggnog with a pinch of nutmeg might be the treat for me. Only TREATS for this snow bound Gal...

Stay warm and let the sun shine in

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  09:38:13 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope you don't get any TRICKS from Mother Nature this weekend!! I would say that after being in the desert for 6 years, my blood has thinned. I don't mind the cold outside as long as I can go inside and be warm! I do miss snow!

Rae, Glad to hear that you found your escapee!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Glad to hear your snow finally quit, Grace. Ours has turned to rain and fog so it's a truly dark, damp day today. I prefer dry cold to damp cold any day of the week. Hopefully you don't float away with such a quick melt. It normally does that in our neck of the woods - snow, melt then snow except for the last two year when it snowed and never melted for months! My chickens don't like it - they've decided it moult and quit laying. I hope they get over that soon. I keep a heat lamp in the chicken house which helps in the dark, cold months but they aren't enjoying the switch.

I am dog sitting for a friend for a few days - a little female huskey. My German Shepherd has his nose out of joint and is not happy about it so he isn't speaking to me right now. He is laying on the love seat across from me looking intently away. Just like spoiled children.

Glad you found your escapee, Rae. Sometimes it isn't easy to catch a chicken on the lam. I sure will be glad when hunting season ends as it spooks the animals to have all that shooting going on all the time. I know the animals need to be thinned out to avoid over population but sometimes it feels like I live in a war zone at this time of the year. Between the helicopters flying over (I live in the flight pattern for the Border Patrol) and the hunters it is kinda creepy sometimes.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  05:45:25 AM  Show Profile
Have not been on the forum for ages! It feels good to get back on and catch up. All I have been doing it seems for the past several months is deal with trees coming down and smashing fences! Have split and sold 3 cords of firewood and still have more to go...Now that Denali is finally well we are going to be taking him for a breeding soundness exam. Anyone done this on a ram before? Also got back from the NY Sheep and Wool Festival - what a terrible trip it was...Bitter cold with rain and snow flurries and had an accident with the trailer so had no electricity - no lights, heat or refrigeration. The sheep were on the livestock trailer too long as well which was stressful. Baby freedom our little Leicester Longwool ram lamb was judged unacceptable and we were advised to take him out of the gene pool! His fleece is too fine to be a good representative of the breed. So I sheared him and plan to knit a fine shawl for myself! Meanwhile I am toying with the idea to castrate him and keep him as a wether for fiber. Anyone castrated a 7 month old ram lamb before? Decided we could not breed this year as one of the trees that fell took the barn with it...There is always next year...Hope everyone is having better luck then me! Warmly, Sara
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  09:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Y'all! Luna here after a very loong time. I quickly read through the last page and see that Grace is under snow....my goodness! It is one thing to see it on the news and another to hear about it from the inside! Hopefully, that will be it for you for a good long while, Grace. It sounds like everyone has been very busy and the ups and downs of life continue. But I am glad to see so many still here.

As for me, I've been focusing on slowly but steadily building the business and I am very encouraged with the results from the last few months. I did two local shows, very successfully, invited a wonderful Art Yarn Spinning teacher to have her workshop here in Elizabethtown, and have been geting wonderful response from a growing number of spinners in the area for my fibers and blends. The farm is coming along little by little. I am now in the last stages of finishing the summer kitchen into a cottage shop. Meanwhile the finished fiber is all neatly stacked in the freshly painted LR. i am looking into getting bigger and better equipment to meed the demand. I'm still terrible at getting a website going even though i have one up. Not much on there right now. Also have an ArtFire shop but again, I seem to be too busy to keep it updated. Those are my goals for the Fall and Winter: Get the online presence better. I still manage to keep the Blog going however. My boys and Alan, my sheep and dog are all doing fine. Even the weather is treating us well. There have been some bad wind storms this fall that took roofs off our neighbors but completely bypassed us. i guess i finally got my roof situation corrected.

I will be going back and reading a bit more to see what y'all have been up to in more detail. Meanwhile, wishing everyone good weather and good times!

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  3:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I hope things are getting better! So to hear about all of the problems! I am not a judge, but the fine fleece sounds lovely. ((((hugs))))

Luna, Sounds like things are slowly coming together for you! I am so very happy for you!! You deserve it!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  12:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Great to hear so many are busy with fiber and working hard to get all in order for the winter weather..

Today we are having a sunny day and I let the girls go into the back yard and eat the gree grass that is popping up thru the snow. They where in heaven and I loved spending the time with them. It is those moments that I feel like time stands still and you can hear every song that mother nature is singing. With this last storm the wild birds ate 5 pounds of seed and four suet cakes. I guess that will go on the list for this week. The deer ate all the rosehips and acorns. The family of minks at the two loaves of bread I set out for them so I guess all the wild things where well fed. I am still trying to find some descent organic hay but I have not given up. Tomorrow I am off to visit another hay farm - keep those fingers closed!!

Well, back to painting pinecones and making my holiday sachets. I have almost finished my Christmas cards and sewing my gift bags. I have no idea where my little elves went so I better get busy...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  1:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Grace glad to hear you are doing ok. We are having some decent weather finally too so working on lean to for our wood storage.

Sheep are coming along very nicely. Sally actually came running this morning when I went out before work with a pumpkin They fit in perfect here, stomach comes first!!!

Ok I know you can't be exact but what would be an approximate amount per pound could I maybe get with my Romney sheep. Also another rookie question about how many ounces, pounds does a sheep typically produce a year. I know all is estimates but wondering.
Thank you
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  4:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rae, can I get a bit of info first on the wool?

I would need to know lamb or older?
Size of the sheep? Length of the fiber and also the color. The problem with pricing of wool is I would have to see it because the only time you get a set price is when you sell it to large mills and that is pennies per pound. If you are selling to a spinning market then all those factors come into what the fiber is worth. Also if the tips are in good shape, any VM in the fibers, coated or not, and then what the market will pay. Romney runs about $1.75 per ounce for spotless fiber. However, I pay around $1 to $1.20 per ounce and that is for lamb's fleece. Processed Romney rovings are about $1.90 per ounce here but again it all depends on the market in your area. Some Romney crosses at our fiber festivals can go up to $2.80 per ounce because they have longer staple lengths. Again, I look for the soundness and lack of VM in wool first.

Hope that helps but if I could see it or feel it I could give you an exact price.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  5:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear, I just sheared my two Leicester Longwool boys (they are 7 months old) and sent it to a mill. Well it turns out I did not look at it very carefully and each boy had 10 pounds of fleece with an 8 inch staple length and it is going to be a big deal to process. Any ideas what to do now? Should I ask the mill to send it back? I am still dreaming of making that fine knitted shawl since the boys were criticized for being too fine wooled for rams. Thanks, Sara
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  07:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh Boy that is one you will need to decide. Is it because of the length? Most mills do charge extra for lengths over 5 inches. Can I ask which mill? It would also depend on how much it will be to process and how much to ship it back. You have already spent the money to get it there but if they are not good with long fiber then it is better to get it back then have them screw it all up and I have seen so real screw ups from mills who thought they knew how to handle long fibers.

Can you process it yourself?? Or is there someone close by who could do it for you? Too bad you are not closer - you could come and use my equipment and I would more then happy to show you how..

Let us know what happens - those boys deserve the best.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  07:46:30 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. I am happy to report that my dog sitting days are over for now. My Shepherd is really happy to be the one and only dog on the bed at night again....So am I. I have been plying yarn like crazy - I was running out of bobbins. I am excited to be knitting my own yarn. I was even happier that when I took the first skein off the niddy noddy it didn;t twist which is supposed to mean a balanced yarn. Not too bad for a beginner. Will see how it looks after it's washed to set the twist. Any advice in that category?

I hope things work out with your wool, Sara. That is one reason I haven't sent mine out to be done - the Shetland is really long too. The gal I got my sheep from sent some out and they made a real mess of it.

Getting all packed up to move, Monica? How's it going with that new carder?

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  5:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace! I feel like running off to Colorado and working on this wool with you! I decided to just let the mill wash it and then send it back to me while I decide what I want to do with it next. Meanwhile I have their Dad's fleece spread out in my dining room. He managed to dump the free choice loose mineral mix into his fleece and it stained red. I washed it twice but it did not completely come out and it also feels sticky still from the minerals. I was hoping to get it completely clean and then I had this vision of dying it shades of green and combing it with some apricot poodle fur my neighbor gave me when she shaved her dog and coming up with a yarn that was the color of summer transitioning into autumn. But that may not work out now. The Leicester Longwool fleeces seem to do best when they are washed right away or the lanolin really hardens them up so I wanted to do something quickly with the twin boys' fleeces. Sara
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  5:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Sara it sounds like a great plan - let the mill do the washing and then you do the carding..
The mineral thing can be a mess to get out of fiber - vinegar might help change the ph in the water to assist in letting go of the minerals. I have a soap that I created years ago that really works on grease and such but I created it for felt making originally. I created it because I had two Corridale sheep that had such heavy grease it would turn to stone if you did not work with it immediately. Then my son one day took some to do a felt project and WOW magic. I had stopped making it in the last couple of years but last month I started again. You just really have to find the balance to get those fleeces clean so I wish you good luck.

Would love to see the boys sometime - they sound wonderful. Poodle - I love spinning Poodle. Share what you end up with - I love the combo.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  6:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Grace, You ought to sell your soap! I would buy some!! Well my fleece arrived today and they are wonderful!!! I can't wait to get them washed and carded!

Sara, I hope you get everything worked out with your fiber! It sounds so lovely!

Sheri, I have been up till almost 2 a.m. every night this week carding fiber! Except for getting my knuckle once, which continues to split because my hands are dry, all is going very well! I am not sure when we are moving! It depends on how quickly Gary gets the remodeling done!

I have a question! What is the average length of alpaca fiber? I have 3 different batches of it and it's all different lengths! Some is about the length of cotton 1 1/2" some is about 3" and I just got a lovely sample that is maybe 5-7"

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  8:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Monica - Yes I do sell the soap - just not put it on Etsy yet because I have them in glass jars and I have to find the best way to get them to where they need to go without costing my cutomers a arm and leg. Very soon I will get that done.

As for the alpaca - what you have there is someone did a poor job of skirting. You have neck, leg and blanket all together and they are very differnt fibers. There is no standard on length - I had guys who produced a blanket length of six inches a year and then I had a few who would be lucky of they had three but those three boys where sweet one's who where brought to me because either their mothers would not care for them and all of them had heart issues so they where not expected to live. All three of them lived for many years and I was just happy each day that they where on the planet and happy. The neck is considered seconds and the legs are considered thirds. They should not be blended together with the blanket or you will not like the final product. Hope that helps... If not I can share more but my posts always seem to look more like a book.

Have a great night ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  9:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Grace, They are from 3 different sources. All of them are very, very soft, just completely different in length and I was really puzzled! Now I understand why! Are they 2nd and 3rd cuts because of the length?

I am washing some of the loveliest gray fiber that I got today! I will put up a pic when I get it washed! The coloring is really pretty which is good because I have 9 pounds .4 ounces of it!

Good Night, Sleep Tight Ladies!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  9:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh I miss understood Monica I thought you meant that is was from one animal. Yes there can be great differences in the length from animal to animal, also how they are shorn, when they are shorn and the age and sex of the animal. The second and thirds do refer to the location of fiber. However, if the animal does not produce a fiber staple length of around 4 inches in a year's time then I would say this is not great genetic's. I had a rose gray who would produce a 7 inch staple length each year - He was a top stud and came from champion bloodlines. He was the male that my son Nick showed for many years and won many awards with - I still have three of his fleeces - they are to die for... His offspring are now winning in the ring and on the judges skirting tables.. There is nothing like good genes..

Can't wait to see pictures. Just got done setting the twist in some yarn - about 800 yards of a multi specked wool - think it turn out great but will have to wait till the morning so I can get a clear eye on it. So off to bed - tomorrow is hay shopping day - so much fun.
Later.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  09:20:36 AM  Show Profile
Grace, sorry about that! I didn't write it correctly. The one box I got for free and the other was fairly inexpensive. Can I blend in some of the short alpca with some wool and do kind of an art yarn with it? I got a sample from a lady on yahoo spinning and it's about 6-7" long and very, very soft! I may order some from her later.

Well off to get back to school and wool! Hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page