Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  07:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow, you girls have been busy and I am going to try and catch up. First off, to answer your question, Grace, yes, we have a strict biosecurity protocol on our farm. All visitors are required to put on plastic booties (we have a box on hand) before going into any sheep paddock. They never go in with the horses as most people who visit are here to see sheep, potential buyers or wool folks or curious folks. I had a busload of knitters do a farm tour last May and all 50 had to put on booties and the sound was funny with everyone walking to see the herding demonstration with Tess the border collie. I don't let people in with our horses...one bit a lady one day and I decided that it wasn't a good idea. You just never quite know what an animal is going to do with someone new.

I also have Zyrcon or something similar (I can't find the package and can't remember the spelling) that the vet uses to clean his boots before going in to doctor sheep. The state vet carries his own kit and really cleans up when he comes. The shearer is required to disinfect his combs and only use clean ones and I make sure we're the first stop on his route for each time he comes. He knows I'm a stickler. He also wears "water socks" to shear and washes them in disinfecting soap each day so if I make sure we're first on his stops, I know we get the clean shoes and not ones tramped through other flocks.

We don't have visitors like you, Grace. We do by appointment only as I'm sure you try to do, but we don't have a sign up in our driveway or anything. My DH is a real private person and has a problem with people dropping by. It's probably a trade-off as we might not get as much business as having an open-door policy, but that's okay. We are off of the beaten path too which really helps in that regard.

On the seed issue, I am not in opposition to what you're saying at all. I am saying I am fairly ignorant of the impacts of GMO and such. I am one of those who Beverley mentioned...just going along like a sheep and accepting what's handed us...not a good system I know. I have to wonder about the seeds I'm purchasing for my garden each year, if they are altered in some way. I need to get more informed so keep the ideas flowing.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  09:35:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jami
Sounds like you do what I do to protect your farm. I have even purchased those silly plastic covers like they use in meat packing plants but they are to slippery when in the barn and fields. I have had a few folks slip and you know what that means - lawsuit time if you are not carefull.

I am with your DH I am somewhat a private person and have a hard time with folks here. I have several retail shops off the farm but again with it only being me it is hard to make it to the shops to keep up things. I have tried by appointment too and you stop everything waiting for folks and then they are really late (sometimes days late) or they never show and if I am lucky I get a call that night or sometimes not at all. When we sold locker lambs I would tell folks you don't show your lamb goes to the next person on the list - that sure got them to be on time but with the retail shop that is a whole different ball of wax. I have been rethinking things around here and just have been wondering if I can restructure to allow more folks here but to maintain some order?? Maybe it is me??

Jami, I too keep reading and questioning how we produce food and after seeing the news this morning(I don't watch often) but now Lean Cuisine has recalled some of their food because of finding blue plastic in the food. It just gets me that now it is just a matter of fact rather then horror that if it is not brought to our attention we have no idea what might be in the food.

I also do not wish you to think I was in anyway picking on you - far from it I admire the wonderful life you are making and that you are taking the time to educate the folks you come in contact - A BIG Hug to you. I too had no idea about the seeds until a friend of mine sent me some articles.. There are now some great seed saver groups you can get your seeds from and in fact you can usually get them cheaper then from large seed companies. Heck they are even on CraigsList.. I purchased some seeds even from Etsy Sellers and will be giving them to my oldest son who loves to garden. Plus it keeps those tiny farms and backyard farmers a float. As for the MaryJane article I just received mine in the mail yesturday and was just too tired to even turn the pages. You know that farm work - well for the past few days I have really been working this old gal to the bone. I wished I could catch up - Sunday I have around 50 coming to the farm to do research and I have everyone here for Thanksgiving so I hope to read soon the new adventures of MaryJane. I heard my name showed up?? Not sure but will see it I hope.

Here is my next question - What is your favorite trick to get you and your animals thru the winter? I will be back later to share my tricks..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  11:36:05 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I want my animals to be as free of "outside" diseases (ones we don't or haven't had) as possible and I feel the precautions we have used are sensible and have worked. I have had people want to bring a couple of sheep over when we shear so they don't have to pay a setup fee on their farm. I always refuse politely. I have heard of farms worrying over tires from one farm to another too, but it's pretty hard for us to not let people drive into our driveway as our neighbor's property is abutted next to our gate and there is no other place to park besides inside our gate and it's a narrow lane until you get down our drive further to a turnaround spot, so we just have to do what we can and hope for the best. I do worry about visitors who could have had sore mouth or Johnne's disease as those are fecal-oral transmission and could feasibly come in on tires. That said, our sheep don't travel the driveway much, once in a great while to move pastures.

I'm not offended by what you have to say. I see it as an education and believe me, I accept all input without judgment. I admit this is one thing I am real ignorant about and I don't have a strong opinion. That's because I know NOTHING, as Clink would say from Hogan's Heroes.

Winter - well, increase feed amounts according to the outside temperature and stage of gestation, use water heaters for the water troughs in extreme cold and I guess that's about it. They all have a shed/shelter to get into if it snows or wind and snow mixes, otherwise, it's put on your wool coat--baby, it's cold outside!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  11:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I would love to hear how you prepare for the winter. First of all, all pipes and water pumps are wrapped, insulated and ready to go before it starts freezing. How we get through the winter with the sheep....we too feed higher proteins at certain times of gestation and with very low temps. My sheep do have the barn for shelter during severe weather and at night to protect them from predators but I never have it air tight. Of course to protect the wool, we feed carefully to prevent the mess in the fleece. Always fresh water. Lambing jugs set up in one part of the barn where none of the sheep are allowed into until they start lambing. These jugs are cleaned, clean straw on the floor when the time comes, the waterers and feeders have all been cleaned. Lambing kit ready to go. And of course, the tack room where I can go to be warm while I wait.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  3:56:51 PM  Show Profile

Ladies of sheep and goats!

I am back in a frame of mind and a space to get back to reading your posts (6 pages since I left!). I am only up to page 2 on Nov 10 and just throwing out some quick notes and responses. Wish I could add more but I want to keep reading and then go do something else so just jumping in for a quick moment. Miss the convo! Keep it going, I'll catch up!

shearing twice a year for heat control vs paying for air conditioning: yep brains over money!

shearing by hand and lambs curling up in the fleece ! awsome!

making wise choices: selling off the sheep to protect them better and remain financially sound: true wisdom.

feeding organic: yes! we grew our own hay this spring before the draught hit again. grateful to have it now

giving children wings: revel in them! I have two who are just taking off; would love to have them with me but love seeing them joyful.

sound business plan: great advice jami!

keeping flock closed and limited: that is the choice we are making now but are still thinking breeding one pair to improve color as an experiment that is manageable. learned a lot from that discussion.

back to reading!

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  5:32:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by grace gerber

As I always tell my students - "Follow the Money" Our animal raising practices are based on the same issues we face with out own health care. Animals have been forced to live lives based on cost per animal - limited movement, manufactured feeds, shot scedules, growth hormones and horrible killing practices has made our meat supplies something I would never purchase nor would I raise my animals that way. I have been a large meat producer but did it all natural with having to lose a profit. We have bought into that with our own health, manufactured foods, lack of exercise and open space, shot schedules and too much medications that do not really assist in inproving our lives. When are we really going to look at "Where the Money Is"?
Large feed companies do not want us looking at other ways to feed our animals, Pharmaceutical companies sure do not want to lose their high profits and the management practices of large operations are anything but the best way.

I will get off my soap box but it is about time folks really start to look at why things are done the way they are - It is all about deep pockets and blindly following like dare I say "SHEEP"

I'm right onthe soap box with you Grace...all the way.

We've been lucky with worming issues so far. We use garlic and also have tried chopped pumpkin. Not tried the ACV but will start that too. We do no grain, only managed high protein, diversified pasture. Also rotating the pastures. Now again, we are VERY small and just over one year on this land that has never had sheep. We also have never shown our sheep and allow no walking on our pasture by strangers. I've read that you have a 2 year grace period for new flocks regarding worms but I'm not convinced. Will be watching carefully though.

Still reading...up to page 4 now....

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  5:41:58 PM  Show Profile

What is your take on giving altered grains to animals - an issue or do you think there is nothing wrong with that corn, oats and barley? Do you feel that they should have to label the feed if it is genetically altered?

My feeling is that I would never give an animal, especially an animal intended to be part of the food chain (where we are the highest consumer)anything I would not put directly in my own system. The hybridization of the modern food supply at all levels is why I also favor heritage vegetables and organically grown grains and meats for myself and for my garden. Now I'm on the soap box, sorry!

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  5:49:38 PM  Show Profile

Ha! Those little Shetlands are great weed wackers aren't they? I have one field where they will eat any and all 'weeds' except sweet annie. which is great, cause when they are ready to move...I can then just go in and harvest my sweet annie and make wreathes, scented boquets etc etc.

on page 5 now!

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  6:01:50 PM  Show Profile
One of the reasons I have had to limit access to the farm is becuase folks would not keep to the rules. Having a shop on the farm opened me up to a bunch of folks who thought I was here for their entertainment.

Hmmmmm.....food for thought Grace, Hadn't eveen thought about anything like this yet. I will have to keep this in mind. We had visitors today, invited, who are looking to include us in their 50 person food coop next year. We were ecstatic when they said they also wanted to share "the farm experience". Now I plan to be cautious.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  07:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Luna, have fun catching up...we've covered a lot of ground as you can see. Can't shut sheep girls up!

On the subject of GMO altered grains, I will have to check into this at my local feed mill. We only feed grains to the ewes for about 3 weeks before breeding time to flush. Our lambs are 100% pasture fed on fields that they self-fertilize so I don't worry much about the GMO issue when it comes to the lambs. On the ewes, this is something I'm trying to get motivated to start researching on. I have too many irons in the fire at the moment but it's something I'm very interested in pursuing since the girls here have opened my eyes to some issues.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  07:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow I am also learning so much from this. Jami I never meant to say you were a sheep. I just have had people I know personally just move through life and really I think they don't want to know. It makes it easier that way for them. No thinking required. I personally have a motto. Mine is not to do or die mine is but to question WHY? You guys know so much more than I do and I just want to learn so when I get some sheep I feel I am more informed. I have just such a small little farm but I still want to do what is best for the animals . Please don't take what I said to mean any of you at all, I did not mean it too. Sorry.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  08:00:18 AM  Show Profile
I was just reading about the public issue and boy do I understand what you are saying. when I had my dogs and bred them I would get calls on sunday mornings at 8:30 am and then they would expect me to do all kinds of stuff for them, like take money off because they had to spend gas to come and pick up a puppy. Could I take them to the vets for this or that and then after 2 weeks of having a puppy and then wanting to bring it back because it wasn't working out. They wanted all their money back and if they spent money at the vets I was suppose to refund that too. The public is why I stopped doing it. I just wanted to scream at them. One man called after 2 weeks of having a puppy and told me it was my fault it wasn't working out because I had not potty trained it. It was a puppy for goodness sake. They thought they did not have to do anything. it was suppose to come perfect and not do anything they did not want it too. Really had bad expectations of what a puppy was. I told them when you go shopping at walmarts or and any store do they pay for your gas to come and go. If you buy a car and alter with different stuff and then take it back do they pay for all that altered stuff? They would look at me like I was from the twilight zone. they just don't get it, it is a business!!! Hello!!! So boy do I understand working with the public!!! Sorry I know this is a bit off subject but you just have to stick to your guns and tell them right up front how it is at your place and don't waver any. One guy stood in my driveway and argued he wanted his money back because I was taking the dog back. he said you are not understanding me. I told him flat out I understand you just fine " I don't agree with you" You signed a contract and my contract reads.... I always will take a puppy or dog back because I wanted them to have a good home but why they thought I should roll over and play dead was something I never did understand. It is very hard working with the public. Just stick to your guns and do what you need to do.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  09:49:52 AM  Show Profile
I am learning as much as you are Beverley through this topic, so let's keep the conversation going and kiddo, you can call me a sheep anytime you want - even though I know you weren't particularly pointing your finger at me in that statement...I was admitting to being one! I am enjoying it myself, all topics we've included also, seeds, GMO, sheep, marketing, etc. I do not have hurt feelings in any way, shape or form. I'm pretty thick-skinned. State your mind and I'll do the same, we're sharing ideas.

Beverley, you are so right, raising breeding stock of any sort, whether it be dogs or sheep or goats or whatever, is a pain in the brain! It's much easier to raise meat lambs. I have had more frustration over selling breeding stock than anything else, although there are a few folks that I have adored working with and love seeing the outcome of our genetics added to their flocks...it's a mixed bag. I think it's working with humans that gets to me...because the animals are always true to their nature and aren't fickle. My neighbor has a flock of 250 commercial ewes and he asked me how it was going the other day and I told him "I'm about fed up selling breeding stock." He replied, "wondered when you'd figure that out." He's been in the sheep business most of his life.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  4:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Very well said Jami,!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  7:37:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Beverley - I so know what you mean. About 6 years ago I agreed to sell one of my most promissing Cashmere Billies to a friend of mine - spent weeks upon weeks teaching her and her children. I must admit I thought she was going to give my sweet boy a great home. I get a call three days later - she lost him! I screamed what do you mean you lost him - well she put him in the front yard with only three string wire and left for the day. Peter just used his horns to lift the wire and walked out. Since he had no one there and no animals to bond with in the front yard he went looking for someone. After days and days of my boys and I looking - contacting every agency and crying.. I figured he was gone for every. I was so mad - O.K. mad will not even come close... my heart broken and wishing I had never gotten into this business. Fast foreword four years - I get a call from the sherrif department that they have a very wild, strange animal - this is not the first time I have had lost souls brought here. I told them I would come and help them capture the beast. When I got there - it was Peter!!! Very wild, very dirty, but alive. When we got him back to the farm - I started to try to tame this very wild boy. Two years and I still can not touch him but now he does not run when I feed, he got to be the clean up billy for my girls and his has bonded with Llama Boy and my Male Great Pry. My friend no longer lives in Colorado - Thank God. The only way I can balance this is by the many great homes that my animals have gone to over the years and the wise universe for sending back my lost soul to his rightful home. It is not easy what we do - only those of us who do it can understand. Give all those sweet one's a hug from me.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  7:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Thank you grace. Oh I how I wish and pray that someday I can get this one puppy back . I would take him back no matter what too. That is a great story. After 4 years. WOW!!! I can only pray that happens to me too... But like you said I have wonderful people who write me and email and send me pictures and so I know those pups and dogs have wonderful homes and that makes me feel so good. It only takes one bad apple though and it can make you feel so terrible...

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  8:12:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Beverly

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading about your experience with breeding your pups and the public. I got a big giggle but I also got some insight into more possible problems to prepare for or think about as i progress. Thanks Jami and Grace too. I can't help but wonder where your billie was for those years. What stories he could tell.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  07:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll. I've been reading everyone's posts and really learning a lot. It sounds so complicated and like lots of work to get people to understand the rules on your farms. I went to a small farm here last year. This lady has Icelandic sheep. I took my little granddaughter with me. We had to wash our feet and shoes as soon as we got out of the car. She was waiting for us with the bucket and spray. I did not realize at the time how critical it is to keep bacteria and disease away from your animals.

I do not do that on my place. I guess I should be more cautious because people who come here all have animals, too.

I will continue to check in and read what you all have to say. I am learning a lot here. Thanks so much for this thread. I am enjoying it.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  07:56:39 AM  Show Profile
HI Kris welcome to the group. There is another issue i doing all that precaution - we had two farms sued because their little contracted E coli - now it was never completly shown that they got it going to farms but the farms could not afford a huge court battle. I can not remember which State Fair it was who also got sued but folks always looking for someone to sue and this coming from me who spent her former life in the legal field... Same thing with someone tripping and falling, get cut on a fence, an animal knocking them down and a whole bunch of other stupid legal fillings. If only folks would take responsibility for themselves. Now I have folks sign a piece of paper and that still does not protect me 100%. So a little spray and covered shoes are just the start.

One a happy note, from what I could gather from the folks who found Peter they have seen this "Ghost" wondering around about a 35 mile circle, of which my farm in right in the middle. Who says animals are not smart - he know somewhere I lived but was working his way in a circle. Last night while feeding he let me stand next to him while everyone was eating - I did not try to touch him but rather just let him breath and relax. I am sure he had some very rough times but he is here now and loved. We all lose our way sometimes but it is great to know that someone loves us! Hugs those four legged sweethearts tight for me.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  11:26:22 AM  Show Profile
That poor goat. Wondering around and around for years. I hope he comes around and realizes he is safe and at home now. Good luck to you and him...

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  2:04:06 PM  Show Profile
For the most part, the "average" sheep disease is usually spread through contact with infected sheep, but sore mouth (orf) can be spread on things like equipment, shoes, tires, clothing, etc. I spray down any used equipment I purchase from any other flock with the Zyrcon stuff or bleach water mixture before my sheep touch it and also let it sit in the hot sun if possible to help. Also CL or caseous lymphadenitis can be spread from flock to flock by the shearer on their combs if they don't disinfect in between flocks or carry in on shoes. This happens when the shearer's combs open up a CL sore on a sheep and then starts to shear another and so forth. CL is one you really don't want. Carcasses get condemned for CL and you can put yourself out of the meat lamb business real quick with this one if you don't get it under control.

Some major sheep diseases are not so easily spread but since many of those are still being researched (scrapie for instance) I stick to my vigilant ways and better safe than sorry.

Loved the Peter story Grace. You always have a good one up your sleeve.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266

Edited by - Jami on Nov 21 2008 2:06:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  8:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Grace, so glad Peter got to come home. I know how you feel. I love my flock so much, they each have their own personalities. I often get my chores done and just sit down and the sheep come over to me, sometimes push others out of the way to get their share of me.
Sometimes we...the flock and I take off on a walk to check fences or the pastures. I open the big gate and start walking and I look behind me to see the flock following me...sometimes in a straight line and other times it looks like big pieces of popcorn popping all over the place. They run, jump, and twist, go by me and then they stop and eat and I walk on and in just a little while, here they come by me again. (the top picture on my blog was one of those times, I had the camera and they were running to catch up.)
It would break my heart if something happened to my babies. I almost cried when I read your story about Peter.

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  8:32:39 PM  Show Profile
When I was looking for my starter flock, we went to lot of the bigger shows and one time the judge ask the guy showing one of his rams if he knew the ram had sore mouth and the guy told him yes but he had just been in another state showing yesterday and the ram was going home after that show, the judge politely told him that he couldn't expose the other animals and to take his animal home. I wondered...how many sheeps mouths did the judge the day before touch after looking in this sheep's mouth, did that judge ask this same guy to take his animal home? How many sheep caught this disease. Is showing sheep worth the risk?
Also do you band the tails on your lambs or do you cut the tails??? How close do you cut or band the tail?

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  11:17:19 PM  Show Profile
I am just looking for a few sheep for their wool to spin so I will never have a big flock but i certainly will keep all of the good info, I also use bleach water on all my doggies stuff and set the crates that I use for anything out in the sun too. I am just learning so much please keep going with all this good info.. thanks

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  07:11:54 AM  Show Profile
I did band my Suffolk cross ewe lambs. I did not band the ram lambs because I thought they would be going through enough in their short little lives to put them through that, too.

How do ya'll feel about banding? I know I'll never castrate using a band again. Next time thay will just be cut. Sorry, but the one goat I banded almost died from infection and I had to take him to the vet anyway. I caught it in time. And now the calf I banded got infected and I'm having to treat him now. So no more of that for me.

Kris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page