paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  08:18:34 AM  Show Profile
Finally, Rae! Yippee!!!! I can't wait to hear all about them! Give 'em a hug for me!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  1:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Icelandic Sheep are marvels and that is why I loved raising them. Here is my thoughts.

First, never run in the grease fiber thru your carder unless you are having a carder just for that - trust me you will never be happy trying to clean that thing and it never ever gets clean. Hand cards is for a grease fiber. Next, I love spinning Icelandic in the grease out of my hand and over the fold of my finger - you get an incredible yarn. If youa re separating the Tel and Tog just remember that the yarn will not have the strength then as the two of them together. I only would separate them if I was going for more of a delicate look but if you where wanting a sweater to last the ages then keep them together...

I have one Icelandic sweater (brought back when I stayed in Iceland while learning and living with the breeders that my sheep came from) that is going in 11 years old and I wear it in the worst of winters as a coat - it has taken a beating and still is wonderfully warm and this year I am replacing some of the cuff because last year I plum worn them thin.. There is nothing like Icelandic fiber - my all time favorite..

Good luck and share photo's if you can.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  7:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, finally had a minute to get on and try to speed read all the events that I have missed.
Yeah! Rae has sheep! I am so happy for you.
Monica, you are really getting into this fiber thing...look for a bigger house...the stash just doesn't shrink!
Grace, your weather! I hope your animals are safe.
Sheri, sounds like you are getting ready for winter with some clean fiber...you have worked so hard on the wedding, enjoy yourself.
Jami, I think about you often...especially over the week end when we separated sheep and put the ewes in with the rams. Have you put your rams in yet? I keep your mother and you and your family in my prayers.
Things have been so busy. My daughter is expecting a baby and it was due Dec.12th but due to her health and hormone levels, they will do a C section on Nov. 24th. Our new baby is going to be a boy and a wonderful miracle...please pray that both mom and baby will be OK.
You all know that I am a school nurse and we have been hit hard by the H1N1. Our school had over 70 out for a few days. I had the flu in Sept...wow, it knocked me down for a few days. I had the upper respiratory with it and breathing was a job, I slept in my recliner for 3 weeks and still have to get up some nights yet. I had over 60 kids in my office and taking temps, calling parents to come get kids from the minute that I walked in till after 3 for days, no lunch some days or a tray in my office. Just recovering myself and the long hours...I am worn smooth. It seems to hit the students suddenly. Other schools near us didn't have a case and then it hit them and they had 50 out the first day and 80 out the second. Have any of you had the H1N1 yet?
I kept most of my ewe lambs this year. They are beautiful, all white, black noses, and so sweet. White Knight is a sweety, the best natured ram that I have ever been around. His wool...I love it. I kept one of his sons for a ram. Waldo, or Wally is so sweet too. He has white silky wool that is over 6 1/2 long with a shine.
Sadie and Lady are growing. They are eating a 40 lb bag of feed a week. They are about as big as the ewe lambs. They bark alots at night and I think they will be good guardian dogs for my sheep. They seem to find whatever I lay down or loose out of my pocket. I found one of my spray bottles out in the pasture, chewed into tiny pieces...you know the puppy thing.
We have had a very damp and cool summer, lots of hay. We mowed the pastures like we usually do but this year they grew back and I have a problem, little stick tights grew back, never had trouble with in the sheep's wool until late this fall. I almost cried when I saw some of their wool. We work so hard to have clean wool...I am going to try to sit down out in the barn this winter and cut most of them out. I guess we are lucky, just some of the sheep got into the stick tights. They are just in the tips of the wool. needless to say, I won't be able to sell those fleeces to spinners!
Grace, I started giving my girls grain a few weeks ago, getting ready for breeding season. They are also getting green pasture and eating brome hay...
Take care wooly friends.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  4:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, It is so good to hear from you! sorry to hear that you were sick! We have managed to escape getting sick so far! Thank God! It helps a lot to be home schooling the kids! I am sure if they were in school that we would have colds by now! congrats on the new baby! What a joy it will be! So sorry to hear about some of the sheep getting into stickers Your fleece is so nice that I would still be interested even with a few stick tights! And YES, I am really getting into the fiber thing, thanks in part to Grace! We are moving soon and I am destashing on some things, just not fiber! That all goes to the new place first and then whatever else will fit!

I have to tell you all that I am finally getting a drum carder! I found a good deal on one and I think I bugged God enough for one that He finally brought one along so I would stop asking!! It will be here Monday! I can't wait!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  7:19:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. So glad to hear from you, Sarita. It sounds like you have really had your hands full. Sorry to hear that you caught the "bug" but at least you are over the worst of it now and that in itself is a blessing. How wonderful that a new baby is on the way. I will keep both in my prayers for a safe delivery. I know what you mean about the burrs in the fleece - mine always manage to find them. I try to cut them out when I see them as well.

Monica, How great that you finally got your carder!!! I am so excited for you. All the good you do for your cause surely hasn't gone unnoticed. I admire you for your efforts.

I have been peeling mountains of carrots and cutting, blanching and freezing. One more day of it and I will finally be finished. I don't have a root cellar so I have to freeze them or they don't keep.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods, Grace. Are you still having bear problems?

Are you enjoying your sheep, Rae? Have a good evening everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  8:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, Only 2 days left and my carder will be here! I am so excited I can hardly wait! I am getting ready to can applesauce!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  06:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Good morning!
Sheri I too am peeling carrots and freezing them. The sheep are quite happy though with the little carrots but more so the greens!!! They are doing pretty good, still shy except Sampson. Only been a week though so can't expect much else. Also weather has been rainy so hard to spend a lot of time out there.

Just really feels right though to have them here, can't explain but a real peace about it.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  09:56:34 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I am so happy for you with having sheep! Hopefully some day we will get some animals!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  6:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Yesterday was my birthday so had all kinds of visitors and phone calls. It's always fun to hear from everyone. I am finally done with the carrots so my canning is finished for this year. Still working on painting my egg shell ornaments and the usual fall chores. It was cold here this morning - only 20 and they are saying we could get snow by next weekend.

Rae,Your sheep will warm up to you with time - it takes awhile. Mine are like lap dogs except for one wether who is standoffish and even after two years isn't into hands on affection. Only one day to carder, Monica. Lucky you. Hopefully someday I will be able to spring for one. For now it's viking combs and hand cards for me.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods, Grace and no more animal invader problems. Have a good evening all.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  03:34:54 AM  Show Profile
Happy late birthday Sheri! Got a lot done around house this weekend being it rained all the time. Got rid of lots of stuff don't use anymore in clothing dept. and will move on to other things.

All 4 sheep come when I have my arms full of the carrot greens so I am making progress. Be nice when it quits raining a bit and can just sit and chat out there. Think they are doing good for only one week and I just love having them. In another year or so I can start on the spinning and wool obsession One thing at a time.
Have a great week!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  07:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Hello all!! Just a quick note and a question...first, thanks for the feedback on my Icelandic fleece...I'm glad I didn't pop it through the carder in the grease without checking first!! I managed to wash it but am SO MAD at myself b/c I spun it in the washing machine to save drying time (it's been so wet and cold here) and it felted a tiny bit. Won't do that again. It can be salvaged, but will be harder to process. I did carefully pull out all the best locks (first) and washed them all gently by hand. Plan to keep some and sell some on my etsy. They are LOVELY. (I want to hoard them all myself, LOL!!)

The question: I'm trying to blend some of the Icelandic with my angora (it's a first cut from my French angoras) and the angora is so clumpy it won't blend well and after a lot of babying when it was blended as best I could (hand teasing, cards, then drum carder) it made a lumpy yarn. Any suggestions for carding angora? It's soooo staticky and clumpy! But soft! LOL!

Thanks!
Céleste

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ."
www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  08:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear of the blending problem. First suggestion is if you can pluck the Angora Bunny instead if cutting. I found that the natural end of where the fiber is released from the skin will keep the fibers from clumbing and will not naturally get balled up. If you funnies are really clean I would not wash the fur because those natural oils which are so little will keep the stadic down. If you had to wash it then spray them with very little hair conditioner while they dry. When I blend Bunny of any kind you also need to tease with your fingers and I lay them ever so smoothly into the feeds. Next is what type of carder are you using?? If it is not for fine fibers "Exotics" then the carder will just make a mess. Practice is the best way to get a great blend so do not give up. Also if you really want a smooth blend then you must run it thru the carder a couple of times, each time breaking the batts and making sure you do not feed too much thru - that is why bunny blends are much more money because we really have to work at it.

Monica is not today you get your carder?? I know it is I am just messing with you. Where are down at the post office the moment it opened??

Another round of snow here and last night only an hour of sleep. Not meanies in the forest but rather a case of hives - think somewhere I must have gotten a hold of mushrooms - not sure if it was in the sausage or sauce - I am always careful to read or ask but last night I could have peeled my skin off....

Happy belated birthday Sheri - another year wiser, sweeter and above ground....

Sounds like everyone is getting into the swing of colder weather - we went down to 27 last night with another storm for Wednesday...

I have some new goodies going on Etsy and gift give away to be posted on Wednesday on my blog - something to keep us all warm... Have a great day ladies, a nap today for this red blotchy farmgal..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  10:10:06 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, Happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day filled with many blessings!! Check this site out for a drum carder. They often have used ones. http://www.kbbspin.org/ I want to get a pair of combs, partly because I just think they look really neat to work with!

Rae, You have to show us pics soon! As far as the wool obsession,I will warn you that if you hang around Grace long enough, you will have a full blown addiction and I am speaking from experience!! 1 1/2 years ago I would have never thought much about spinning,sheep or goats and now I have 4 fleeces, umpteen bags of silk, mohair and other fiber, 2 wheels, a small collection of drop spindles and 5 fleece on order and I want my own animals and I can happily thank Grace for so graciously enabling me!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Oct 26 2009 10:11:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  10:18:42 AM  Show Profile
Grace, It is coming via ups and yes I am just about sitting at the window watching! Yipee, the wait is finally over!!! I am so sorry to hear about the hives! I hope you are feeling better now! I will say a prayer that things calm down at the farm!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  1:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace!! I think that's it exactly - the carder is medium because I card a variety of fibers...it's not superfine (I don't even think it's fine, period.) Is there any way to blend angora without getting another drum for my carder? Also, I'll try just combing...now that I figured out how to do it it makes more sense. In the beginning, not knowing any better, I just used a wire cat brush and got nothing except the little snarls (could be because they were young too...) but then someone showed me how to use a comb and I got a lot out of my bunnies last week when I combed.

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ."
www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  4:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Nellie ate from my hand!!! She is the youngest of our sheep and today she came and took carrot greens from my hand!! She also got a little closer to hubby. I am so excited, now they have all come and eaten from my hand..
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  8:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I am so happy for you!!!

Grace, It's here!! It's here!!! I will have to post pics on my blog, but I am still pinching myself to the fact that I actually have a drum carder! Hope you are feeling better and I hope the hives are gone!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  9:30:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad your carder finally arrived, Monica. I am sure you will enjoy it for a long time to come. Nothing like having your dreams come true!!

Grace, I hope you are feeling better and your hives have cleared up. Thank you all for your birthday wishes. It sure rained like crazy here today - I was beginning to wonder if building an ark was going to be in order when it finally tapered off. They said on the news that we got just under two inches of rain today with some high winds to boot. It was a very dark, damp day to be sure. I did some more painting and some housework.

Hope everyone has a great evening....I know for sure Monica is!!!

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  10:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I am going to have a wonderful evening! The kids are in bed sound asleep, hubby is on his way to bed, so now it's just me, a warm mocha, a basket of wool and my carder!!!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  03:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Monica I think you should have a party!! Wouldn't that be a unique way to show it off of course I imagine most wouldn't understand the joy. I know people don't quite get it when I told them last night Nellie ate from my hand

Hope you got some sleep!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  1:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Rae, You are right! It would only be a party if I could invite all of you over!! Most people I know don't get it at all!! I don't have animals, but I understand where you are coming from being so excited about Nellie eating from your hand! I am thrilled for you!

I have to say that I did meet the nicest lady this weekend when I stopped at her yard sale we ended up talking for almost an hour and I told her all about farmgirl connection and she even went online to get a subscription the MaryJane's Farm Magazine! Her husband's sister lives in Oregon and has Llamas and spins and she would love to see my wheels so they are going to come visit after we get moved! Things are so much of a mess here right now trying to get ready to move that Gary would absolutely shoot me if I had company now!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  10:10:58 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. How's it going with the new carder, Monica? Are you getting lots done? I don't envy you packing up to move. I have been in this house for almost 30 years and it would be a nightmare to try to move me!!! I guess it's good though in some ways as it makes you weed out the non-essentials. Isn't it funny how we can find kindred spirits all over? There are more of us out there than we might think.

It is cold here this morning - frost everywhere. It's always so pretty when everything is coated with frost and the sun hits it and everything sparkles and the fences steam. Gotta make a run to town today am just waiting for the frost to melt off. At least the sun is shining. We tend to get such long stretches of gray in the fall and winter here. We are supposed to get another storm in tomorrow and could even bring us some snow. I fully intend to enjoy this sun while it's here.

Gotta get out there and feed - I'm running a bit late this morning. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  12:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I love it! It is so fun to finally have one! I don't have any idea where to start to pack things up, but I have to say it is good to sort through things and get rid of some of it! I am finding that it is absolutely no fun to have all kinds of fun stuff only to be frustrated trying to find things that I know I have, but have to dig through container after container to locate it!

It is freezing here today as far as the desert goes! It was 40 this morning and so far is only up to 52

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  04:30:20 AM  Show Profile
Ok now Monica, freezing at 40?? I hope for that for a high

Grace are you getting snowed under? Your storm is headed our way but sounds like we will have enough warm to keep it rain. In '91 we didn't and got 3 feet of snow on Halloween!!!

Hope all are doing well. Pulled last of carrots from garden, saved some greens for today and tomorrow for the sheep so they can have a couple more days of treats.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  10:44:13 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Woke up to a fine dusting of snow this morning. It sure has been a strange fall here. First temps into the 90's - which I was grateful for to finish up washing the wool to drop like a rock into the low teens, then back up into the 50 to 60 range and then back down and early snow. I just hope we dodge the bullet and don't have another hard winter like the last two. I raked up all the leaves in front of the house yesterday afternoon and put all the pots away for the season and I am sure glad I didn't put it off. I had to get it all cleaned up to keep debris out of my snowblower but the leaves were taking their sweet time coming off the trees. They never even turned color this year, just froze green and then with the high winds we had two days ago finally dropped the majority of them.

Today it's pay the property tax day - always a painful check to write. I wouldn't resent it so much but we are on the outer fringes of the county and the services we get - especially grading on our gravel road are iffy at best. The county had cooked up a plan to get our road paved a year or so ago but it would have meant what they call a RID - which means we get to pay for the paving project to the tune of about $10,000 plus interest tacked on to our property tax bill each year. In this iffy economy of course it went down in flames. I think the iffiest part of the whole RID deal is that they want you to vote for a project not knowing how much it will actually cost, not knowing how much the bond rate will be when it's over and then they only give you 10 years to pay it off with interest even though you have no idea what the interest will actually be when you vote for it. It's kind of like buying a car you don't know the price of, signing up for a loan you don't know the interest rate on and hoping the salesman is telling you the truth based on an accurate prediction! In the meantime, we deal with clouds of dust and pot holes fit to lose a bus in and washboards that are like driving on a railroad track. Ah, the joys of country living...excuse the rant but the whole think sits in my craw!!
At least I have the money to write the check - that's the good news and one I am grateful for.

Hope everyone has a great day. How much snow did you get, Grace? Hey, Monica - weatherwise, I'll trade ya. We will be lucky to hit 40 today.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page