oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  12:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am praying for Monica's mommy!!! I am still working on spinning yarn and desperately looking for a drum carder! I have never heard back from the lady I e-mailed! I wish I could talk Gary into a Fancy Kitten drum carder because they are only $350.00 and a lot of people on the spinning yahoo group rave about them! I am calculating how much I can afford to spend on Autumn's beautiful fiber on your etsy page right now! Do you realized how much $$ I would save if I quit looking at your etsy page!Nowhere near as much fun though so I will keep looking!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Oct 11 2009 12:02:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  8:06:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the prayers for Kasha and Masquerade. I spent more time with each of them today just making sure that the are on a good path. I will also be making some tentures for them in the next day or two to aid in their recovery.

Monica - I have several more colorways coming in the next week on mohair lockets and also I finished dyeing about two dozen batches of alpaca - more things to get folks drulling over..

I know this does not have to do with animals but what is your favorite hot breakfast for these cold mornings. I found myself in a rut and really wish to have something hot and good inside of me while working in the bitter cold - any suggestions - sometimes we have to care for us too...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  03:27:24 AM  Show Profile
Poached eggs or bacon and eggs/hash browns

Ok ladies question. The area where the sheep are going, this week, is kind of muddy due to building and etc. I know it will freeze soon but have some warm days coming, any suggestions?

Rae

I discovered if I don't lock husband in chicken coop the sheep yard gets done faster

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  08:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rae, had poached eggs this morning with french toast and raspberry systrup....

As for the mud this is a great time to first add some seed to the mud, what will be coming in the early spring to feed those lambs close to their barn. The I would gather local leaves, or grass clippings and use that to feed the seeds - start of natures bedding that way you will keep the ground around their home without chemicals but able to feed them too. I would also when the winter progesses add a bit of their poop to that area because it will break down by spring and you will be amazed what great feed they will have right outside their door.

Thanks for the suggestions on breakfast... I think tonight I might just make myself a pot of grits for the morning - nothing like butter and pure maple syrup on a hot steaming bowl of grits... Take care

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  11:33:37 AM  Show Profile
I had a bowl of spiced oatmeal this morning. I guess I prefer french toast or pancakes though. Had to go to work today, so not much time.
Grace wondering if you would care to share your hand stitched wool sheep? I understand if you don't. Just always on the lookout for new ideas. I love making sheep, cow things. Especially out of my own animal products! Great idea on dealing with muddy areas. Rae wondering how long you had hubby locked in the coop? Hope not too long! :) That is too funny.
Still cold here in WI.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  11:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Michele he was only in there an hour!!! Good thing he loves me and was able to laugh within about 5 minutes. I know for a fact I would have been madder than a wet hen!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  04:12:17 AM  Show Profile
oh no an hour!!!!! Poor guy. He should of been able to get all the eggs gathered anyways!
Snowing again here this morning.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  05:03:38 AM  Show Profile
We have snow here this morning as well Needs to go away for a while. Our weekend is suppose to be good which is good because sheep should be coming home
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  08:09:37 AM  Show Profile
Heck an hour is just enough time to contemplate the secrets of the world - It least it was not over night - I don't think he would be laughing then...

Snow, well better get a cracking Rae - I know the weather is play such games with us all. This weekend it is to be 70 so I hope to finish painting the metal panels and gates. I know that every minute we have without snow or ice I better get myself moving because any day it will be too late.

I have almost all the new displays painted for my shop in town. Have the new products and yarns labeled, packed and so tomorrow I make the trek. As soon as I get back I have to fire up the dye pots and oil the wheel because sales have been brisk so inventory is low. As for the sheep since they are still an active product in my stores I do not give out patterns but Michele there are tons out there. I will put some mroe on my Etsy site soon and your always welcome to purchase one and then design your own - I am also working on several new apron patterns and even a owl.. Love designing things. I hope you understand it is my full time business...

Well, back to work I go. Hope everyone has a great day and that the weather holds out just a bit longer for all those projects.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  10:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Heck with the dog house, I think I need to get me a chicken coop! I will be praying that the snow holds up!

Grace, I am not a breakfast person at all so my morning routine is usually a cup of coffee! On the weekends I usually make home waffles and I have to say they are yummy! I dyed my first batch of wool Tuesday and it came out pretty nice! The color was blueberry, but it had a bit of turquoise and a few spots of almost a sage color! I am getting seriously desperate for a drum carder! I really want to be able to get yarn sales going, but I am really limited as to how much I can get done with hand carders! I am getting seriously desperate about it!

I got some more yarn done! This one is Sugar's fiber with red and green silk! I really like it! I am in love with Sugar's fiber!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Oct 15 2009 10:06:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  06:43:21 AM  Show Profile
Looks great Monica

I wished a carder would pop out of thin air but those are hard to come by on the cheap.. I take it you did not hear back from that lady??? Sorry.

Your Autumn in Manhattan is on it's way to you and I can not wait to hear what you think of it. I placed a bunch of goodies on Etsy and for those who do not know if you go to my blog site you will find a "special offer" and once you use it you will get free shipping for purchases over $20.00. Monica has already taken advantage of the offer and it ends very soon..

Today I go to town to bring tons of products so talk to you all later.
Have a great Friday.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  08:36:31 AM  Show Profile
Here is fingers crossed the sheep come home tonight or tomorrow. Tomorrow is supposed to be really nice so may go for that. I am so excited
Will update tomorrow sometime
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  12:14:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rae, You will have to let us see pics! I am so excited for you!!!!

Grace, I have never heard back from that lady and I don't know if I ever will! I even asked the Fancy Kitty place if they would consider donating one to me! I asked because I am trying to raise $$ to send to the Compassion International Crisis Relief Fund for the Philippines! We sponsor a little boy there and 60-80% of the province where he lives was flooded out! I haven't heard back from them either! I am about to call them! I put on my etsy page that through the end of October, I will be donating 1/2 of my yarns sales to the fund, so hopefully I will get some sales! I just desperately need to be able to get more fiber processed!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  08:20:57 AM  Show Profile
Rae I am so excited for you - it is like they are coming to my house..

Monica I am so sorry to hear about the events for your overseas family - I will be sending my prayers. What a kind heart to share your sales. I do that with the sales of animals and fiber here - I send funds to a family in Tibet who I met some seven years ago. The youngest daughter was in the states for several major medical events. She came to a show I was at and we just clicked. I taught her to spin - which in her village that would not be allowed till she was 16 she was 8 years old. When she returned to her village she was able to start earning income for her village because of her spinning. I send her fiber and funds each year to grow her small business. It is a joy that fills my heart - that is one of the reasons I do what I do. Blessings to you for sharing your talent and funds.

Well, hate to report but a farm about a mile from me Friday morning found that two of their horses were attacked in the night. One died and the other has been taken off to the University in Fort Collins. I was in town all day doing my shop redo and worried the whole time. I spent the night on guard duty and the dogs including Kasha work very hard last night. Nothing came in but by the running, barking and uneasiness of the animals, something was close. Went out this morning to see if I could find tracks - all I found was some fresh bear poop... It looks like another long night here.

Stay safe everyone and watch out - there are mean one's walking at night.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  12:29:35 PM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Sorry to hear you are still having nightly preditory animals in your neck of the woods. I know how worried you must be. I still have something (I think a skunk) skulking around my chickens. It makes for some stressful times. I hope that someone nails it before it kills anything else.

How wonderful that you were able to teach the Tibetan girl and now she helps her family. I think the political situation there is horrible. I always have Tibet in my prayers.

Hope you find a carder soon, Monica. It's not easy to find a used one cheap but I hope you will. How soon are you packing up to move?

Hope you get your sheep home today, Rae. It's been a long time coming for you and lots of work. I am excited for you. Be sure and post some pics so we can see.

The temps here have moderated for a few days thank goodness. It's supposed to get up to 67 here today which sure beats the low 40's. I have been working on painting Christmas ornaments - I make them out of blown out eggs, and then add jewelry findings and beads. Some I paint with tiny winter themed scenes and others with just geometric designs or antique china inspired designs. It's a lot of fun. Tomorrow I will dig the carrots in the garden and get them ready for storage.

Has anyone heard anything from Jami or Sarita? I've been praying for Jami's mom and hoping things are going ok for them. Have a nice day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  5:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, Hope all is well in your neck of the woods! You will have to let us see pics of the ornaments you are working on! I am not sure how soon we will be moving because Gary is doing some remodeling, but at some point I will slowly start moving stuff over! I am calling Fancy Kitty Company on Monday to ask them about donating one to me! I know it sounds crazy, but I am donating 1/2 of my yarn sales to charity through October and then I am going to continue at about 20-25% after that! I know I could get more sales if I could expand my products to sell batts and be able to get yarn done faster!

Grace, The fiber is INCREDIBLE!!!!! I think I am going to get the rest! I have to say that I would much rather give stuff away and help others get going with spinning! I am still looking for that perfect victim, oops I mean friend to get hooked on to spinning as you have with me! grin!! If I ever had the opportunity I would rather pass on what I know and help other than just make a bunch of money! I have figured out one thing with the beaded yarns that make them so much faster to do!! I spin a section and then thread the end on a big eye needle and put beads on as I go so I am only adding a small # of beads at a time instead of hundreds! I dyed some wool red last time! I want to do a yarn that is a white single and a red single plied together. I am getting into the Christmas yarns!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  6:10:16 PM  Show Profile
I HAVE SHEEP They are home, finally and slowly adjusting. Will go out tomorrow and spend some time with them and try to do so everyday. Think I will have hubby bring a lawn chair out so I can sit there and chat. I can store it in a part of their house as we added a section just for some storage, lawnmower, etc. Hubby and son even cleaned and cut hoofs. They did not get sheared this year but that is ok next year will start that stuff.

I can not believe we own sheep and chickens, a real farmer

I was just thinking about Jami and Sarita as well today wondering how they are.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  6:16:30 PM  Show Profile
Rae, YIPEE! YIPEE! YIPEE!! Oh my gosh!! I am so excited for you !!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  6:42:08 PM  Show Profile
I am doing the FarmGirl Happy Dance Rae...

Life is always sweeter with Sheep and Chickens... I am with you sitting out with you new sweet ones is the best thing on earth. I know folks don't get that until they are blessed with having animals with you. It is like the line in a movie "You COMPLETE me"

Enjoy.

As for our missing farmgal's I am sure they are up to their eyeballs in work - I hope tomorrow the wind stops so I can finish painting the gates and panels. Snow is predicted for Wednesday so no time to waste. Still doing the Happy Sheep Dance!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  6:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Yea Rae -Congrats on the new family members!!! After so much time I am with Grace, I am doing the happy dance for you too. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  04:26:02 AM  Show Profile
I will try get pictures soon and then figure out how to get them posted! I am excited and SO very much to learn now. I figure if I sit there they will get to know me and come. The only one Ethan was ever able to go pet was Sampson, the oldest ram but he probably didn't spend the time I will as I have different goals with them.
I am a real farmgirl, yippeee
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  12:49:06 PM  Show Profile
I e-mailed Jami to see how she was doing and she is good! They are putting in a laminate floor and are very swamped with work! Please pray for her mom as she is not doing that well! She did just celebrate her 76th birthday though! Jami said there are no good days anymore with her mom, just okay and not so okay days!

Rae, I am waiting anxiously to see pics!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  1:03:47 PM  Show Profile
Sampson came and ate out of my hand!! They are so cool and fun to look out the window and see sheep.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  8:21:48 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  05:48:44 AM  Show Profile
Rae!!! I'm SOOO happy and excited for you!!! Congratulations!!

Girls, am coming out of lurk for a minute because I had my first sheep sheared yesterday. (She's an Icelandic, just so you all don't think I've lost my newbie mind.) I am thinking that what I'd like to do is separate the tog and thel and spin the thel to make my *drum roll please* first sweater. My questions are: if I do that would I be better off spinning it in the grease? Or should I wash it? And if I spin in the grease (and card in the grease, etc.) will that mess up, say, my drum carder because it will get greasy? Or will that not be a problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ."
www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page