Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  08:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Grace tell your sheep thank you for their input Hubby starts vacation on August 10 so that is when things will kick into full gear! Pray for nice weather that week and the next!

Sheep sheep soon to be...... oh sorry just get carried away sometimes
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  11:11:55 AM  Show Profile
Rae I wish all the best on weather it sure is not here. Had another two big storms last night - It is getting really boring...

But I will ask the rain gods to keep away. I no longer have sheep here but I still shear my sheep that live at other farms. I ran a flock of close to 100 for many years so trust me I will be glad to share info and stories with you.

Monica, your raising a fine flock of two legged animals - they will keep you busy for now and give your the strength to run after four legged animals...

Have a great days ladies and watch the clouds...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  4:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I think I am raising a fine flock of monkeys most of the time! They do keep me busy though!

Rae, I will pray for good weather for you! You ought to start a blog page so that you can post pictures for us to see!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  6:11:43 PM  Show Profile
Monica I am really thinking about it. I can also put up the chicken mansion that Kevin built I have been trying to think of a name for the farm before I do. I put on another thread I am leaning towards K & R Farm, kind of a legacy thing for family (K- Kevin and R- Rae) with the hope someone would keep it going.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  7:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I like K & R Farm! It sounds nice!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  05:11:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Monica I think we will go with it, may add Family in but will think about that for a little bit. THe kids get it when we are gone and I know they understand the importance of it so will stay within.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  6:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Rae sounds like a good plan... I can sure tell you that no matter where I go I sure get a smile when I tell folks the name of my place - and after 13 years it has also been my best advertisment.... Once someone hears the name of my place they sure never forget it.

Also I would suggest that you do a name search - especially if you are going to sell anything down the road - you want that name free and clear the same goes for a website, business name and such.. I know a lot to think of but I have had other folks pick a name and down the road they run into issues.

Have fun it is a process

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  04:16:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah I should know that too as my brother has had bands in the past and....
I would like something catchy but I am not too good at that and also need Kevin to go along They didn't have a name on their farm growing up but I told him we plan to sell stuff it is better and I would like to get up a site eventually here.
That way people can see me sheep when they come home
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  09:31:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone - hope everyone had a great weekend. It has been so hot here - 102 in my yard on Saturday. It's unusual for us to get quite that hot. Sure makes the zuchinies grow like crazy - I can't keep up with them. Good thing the chickens like them. I took yesterday as a mental health day - no wedding work - and cleaned the kitchen inc. the oven in prep for baking that wedding cake. I washed some wool and it dried pronto in this dry heat. I will finish washing what I had skirted today. I had boxes of dirty wool in the area where I do all my baking so needed to get it out of there. I know that sounds weird but my house has a pretty small kitchen so when I re-arranged things after the kids moved, I expanded my kitchen area to include a double oven and a long granite countertop as a baking center. I do a lot of bread, cookies and candy at the holidays and love the new space but it's in a kind of walk through area in the back addition on the house so I tend to stack stuff to get it out of the way - I'm sure you know what I mean about that. Then I have to move it when a big project comes around. It felt good to do something besides sew and water plants. Today, I am back at it by getting that veil made.

I have always loved the name of your farm, Grace. I am sure you will find just the right name, Rae. I am sure that you will get everything done and get your sheep soon - I sure love mine. I only have 5 but they are like lap dogs (only for me) and love to be petted and scratched. I know they sure don't appreciate this high heat.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  11:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Well I looked and there actually are some K & R farm things so.... but no Farm in the Woods which was another one I liked. It describes exactly where we are and I could actually have a picture of the driveway and road which are completely lined by trees. Just a thought.

I will have 4 sheep to start with which is plenty for the rookie
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  9:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Sheri - glad you gave yourself a mental health day - we all could use those from time to time. I guess we are to have some heat around here but thankfully not what you are experiencing. So today I cleaned out the chicken coop from top to bottom, harvested some of the wild grasses and returned phone messages. Tomorrow it is cleaning out the big goat girls barn, and still working on trying to fill all the pot holes in my very long driveway.

Rae - I like the "Farm in the Woods" makes me think of all kinds of great products and goodies. Did you have an idea of what products you might be producing? I have sold organic sheep meat, tons of breeding stock, goat milk fudge, eggs, herbs, and then my main business fiber and fiber arts. I have also done boarding in the begining - that is of animals, I trained alpacas and llamas, Shorn just about anything on four leggs, also raised, trained and sold Great Pry's. So one thing I have learned is have more then one basket to place your eggs in.

So ladies what are the business lines your farm is known for???

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  10:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I have to say that moving the wool out before baking would be good! I was carding wool, sitting on the couch last night by the fan and sure enough I ended up with fuzzy coffee!

Oh how I want sheep!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you Rae!!!!!

A question for you all! Do you think rolags would sell? I know a lot of people sell batts or roving, but I don't see many rolags!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  05:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Grace we hope to have a variety of good for sale. I hope to learn to do many things with my wool, spinning to begin with and sell that as well as sometimes just after it is sheared as some people have expressed an interest in that already. I already am selling some eggs. Eventually we will have of course lamb and then beef to sell and most likely some chickens. So I guess a little of everything we can think of so I am thinking Farm in the Woods describes us best!!

I have had 3 hens that like to be petted, yesterday almost all 10 had to be!!! People laugh and think I am crazy but I have not has less than 6 eggs in about a month!
Keep the good weather prayers going for next week please, sheep home building starts.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  11:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi all. It's been a real long couple of days. I got a call Monday night that my friend who is as close as any sister could be tried to commit suicide friday night after a fight with her husband. She had rented a motel room and took all her pain meds and laid there until she didn't check out on Monday and late Monday afternoon, the motel staff opened the door and found her in a coma. She was rushed to the hospital and is alive and still in ICU. I know I should be posting this elsewhere but would you all please keep her in your prayers? Here I am 1500 miles away (she's in southern cal) and with all I have to do for this wedding only four weeks away, I can't go to her. She was caring for her folks who are 90 and 92 (still in their own home) - so there is the question about who is going to take over their care as well as hers. Her husband is a real lulu - a biker druggie type and I know she felt trapped. If she left him she would lose her medical insurance and she is diabetic and had sever degenerative disc disease in her back so she felt she had no way out. My heart is on the ground. Thanks for listening.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  12:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I am so very sorry to hear about your friend! I will definitely keep her in my prayers! Thank you for posting about it here! We are your friends and that's what friends are for!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  1:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh I found the perfect place to start a farm! http://www.landsofohio.com/ohio/index.cfm?detail=&inv_id=390892 It even has 2 barns and a pond and GRASS! The only problem is that I don't even remotely have 300,000.00 for it! A girl can dream though!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  2:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Sheri I am sorry about your friend. It is so hard when people are so sad they get to that point. Prayers that she will find a way to heal and for you as well.

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  08:41:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh My Sheri - I am so said to hear that your friend has felt like she has no more options - You will have my prayers for both her and you. Today I received a phone call from a fellow shop owner - she got the new last night that her lung cancer is back and spread - they are not saying how long but she is does not think she will be here for the holidays. It is so hard to hear news such as your Sheri or my friend Dixie's that is why we all have to remember to celebrate the day we have today!!

My heart goes out to you Sheri and just know this group will always support each other - thru the good and especially during the bad.
Hugs to You...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  09:03:44 AM  Show Profile
Prayers out for your friend Dixie as well Grace. That is really tough.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  09:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I will keep Dixie in my prayers!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  10:11:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much ladies - she is not doing well to find the peace she needs to make these last months worth living. Then she also is trying to sell off all her fabric and such. Monica she has a 19 shelves full of bolts of fabric, lace, trims and much more. It is too bad she does not do computers because I know we could find all her fabric new homes that way. I am being so good - I have not brought a piece home..

Monica that house is very cute not too sure about the barns - looks like they need some work but what fun to dream.... I was not aware your husband would consider leaving the state???? Heck, I would sell you my farm including the animals if you liked Colorado but I thought your husband did not like snow - it would be instant farm!!!

Well, ladies after the rain storm we had last night the air is so clear and clean - the animals are a munching and I better get back to work. Tomorrow I am taking myself into town - I have some shears going to the post office for lucky Rae (again thanks so much) and about three dozen books I had placed a hold on at the library all came in at the same time. I might even take myself to the movies to see the Julia Childs movie. So better get to work so I can leave tomorrow.
Hugs to you all and enjoy this day....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  10:39:57 AM  Show Profile
Grace I will add Dixie to my prayers as well. I sure do appreciate all you ladies so much. It looks like my friend is improving but by tiny increments. I think she will pull out of this but then we have to try to find her help and solutions. I know everyones prayers matter so much - again thank you. I am trying to real myself back in and get back to work on stuff for the wedding - it's really hard to shut my brain off sometimes.

I hope everyone has a great day. Enjoy that movie for me Grace - I don't have time for anything else right now. I will be so glad when the wedding is over.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  10:42:34 AM  Show Profile
Grace, That's one of the problems, it would probably take an act of God to get Gary to move where there is snow! It's not so much that he loves it here, it's more that there is just no snow! Other than that there is no realistic way we could afford it right now! I would consider moving to Colorado! what would you do if you sold the farm? I am very proud of you for not bringing any fabric home! It sounds like a very fun day tomorrow!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  11:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh perfect Grace as we will be starting the sheep housing
Be so nice to get them here.

Finished painting the chicken mansion this morning, some stuff under eaves so won't rot. Weeded garden so will be plenty sore I am not good with heights so was quite proud of myself to go up 3 rungs on the ladder !!!

Snow can be a pain but yet I can't imagine life without it. Just love the changes in seasons, although I do certainly have my favorite and least favorite
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page