Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:59:15 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. We have been having some pretty wacky weather around here too - tornado warnings to the north of me yesterday afternoon, thunder storms with lots of wind. So far I have been lucky and it's gone around me so I've missed the hail. I'm certain my tomatoes appreciate that. It messes with my sewing schedule tho as I have to quit during an electrical storm because of the computer in my sewing machine. I have a battery back-up surge protector on it but I don't want to risk it if I don't have to. The good news is that the bridal gown is almost finished. Just some hand work and the actual gown is done. Now on to the slip. My goal is to have it wrapped up by the 1st. The bad news is the company that I ordered the gum paste for sculpting the flowers for the wedding cake has taken it's time in shipping so now I finally receive a shipping notice and it won't arrive until the 3rd. I was hoping to start on those flowers this week. It just makes for an even tighter schedule than I'd hoped for.

How are your Christmas crafts coming, Grace? Are you back on the spinning now? Wish I had time.

Hope everyone has a good day. Time to get my chores done so I can get back to sewing.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  09:39:03 AM  Show Profile
Luna, It's so good to hear from you! I am so excited that your online shop is moving forward!

Sheri, I hope the weather calms down for you! You will have to let us see pics of the dress when you get it done!

Grace, I ordered the book through a seller on Amazon so I am hoping it doesn't take 2 weeks to get here!

Well I am off to get the kids started on school! Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 29 2009 09:40:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  09:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Monica!
And Sherri, hope things get better. The weather sue has been strange this year.

Luna

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  10:29:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Luna
I am new here and a rookie farmer We have chickens and as everyone on this site knows getting sheep. Now finally soon as hubby taking time off next month so we can get done with fence and shed.
From what I read sounds like a rough year and glad to hear things are getting better.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  2:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi RAe

congratulations on your upcoming sheep...what kind are you getting?

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  3:39:00 PM  Show Profile
4 Romney's. They are my grandson Ethan's. He is unable to keep them but really loves them so to our house they go so he can see them anytime. Also this way when another lamb comes he can work with it so he can show it at the fair someday.
I am excited about it. My grandpa raised sheep so in the family.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  1:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - typing again like a MAD WOMEN - storm still coming one after another - temps went down last night and early this morning I had a few snow flakes - SNOW FLAKES that is even a new one for me...

I am so sorry to hear of the year and a half you had Luna but it will get better - it is hard when we are going thru the ruff times to believe it will get better but when we are in the good times we remember that we could not appreciate how great our lives are if we had not gone thru the dark times. We are here to support you and I can not wait to see the e shop.... I still keep thinking of doing that since ETSY is getting so crowded. Don't get me wrong I still do a great business there but I sure would like to have a bit more control over things.

Sheri - I so understand that even when you have a great plan someone comes along and messes it all up. I know it will all work out and if you have to let something go by the way side - just know you are a blessing to the wedding.

Well, as I sit here typing I must admit this cool weather has got me started in the planning of the fall and winter. I must say I am looking foreward to the schedules I keep during the colder months and the way my animals and I share those crisp days together. I am still waiting for the Christmas painting projects to dry - in and out they went as the weather determined every step I made - but I hope they will be completely done by today so I can move on. I also have many skeins drying in the basement of the latest round of dyeing - Alpaca Boucle is the base yarn. I have two more Mohair Fleeces to pick and package up while the carding machine sits ready for some great new blends. I must admit my thoughts are only of baking today because of the cool weather. Might have to make something yummy for the cookie jar - ate the last cookie last night....

What is your favoriet cookie recipe?? I only eat homemade - great thing to have in your pocket while working in the barn...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  2:51:46 PM  Show Profile
SNOW!! I thought MN was bad Thundering here now as well, Grace will get back to soon.
My favorite are choc chips, snickerdoodle and molasses/gingersnaps. All are homemade, the first is tollhouse and the other 2 are out of Amish cook books I have. I only have homemade as well.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  3:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Rae I sent you an email about the clippers. Oh thanks for reminding me - somewhere is my Amish Cookbook - they make great simple cookies.
I have a herb stuffed Pork Roast in the oven with twice baked potatoes and a bib lettuce salad for dinner tonight. Angle food cake with fresh blueberries and raspberries to end the meal. I did not work that hard outside today to deserve such a big meal but in the heat I have not cooked much and really missed something tasty.

Put up some new enteries on the blog including my new assistant.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  4:11:23 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Can I come for dinner?

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  4:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Your always welcome - just means I might have to put you to work in the fiber rooms... I know how much you would hate that

I also have cooking in the oven - Mesquit beef tips, Greek Lamb Casserole and in the crock pot I have going Sweet and Sour Chicken. I plan to take full advantage of this cool weather to make some great meals for the freezer. I have in the bread machine Pinon Nut with Cinnamon Breakfast Bread (nuts from my own Pinon Pine out front) and for tomorrow morning ground Hazelnut and Wild Blueberry Pancakes with my Danelion Syrup. Yummy.....

Pull up a seat there is plenty for all..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  4:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh my Grace and all I had was Ruben sandwiches tonight. Your stuff sounds a whole lot better!!!
I did get the email from you and will get back to you tonight Grace.

I love the recipes in my Amish cookbooks! They use real food that I have on hand most of the time.

Curious here, how long have some of you been raising sheep?

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  5:01:07 PM  Show Profile
13 years - just a flicker in time compared to my mentor who has been doing it for 71 years.....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  6:51:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I am a newbie - only two years just starting my third year. Snow, what a trip. I think you take the cake for weird weather this year, Grace. No snow just heat and more heat. And add into that the stupid Sheriff's dept. helicopter flying grids right down on the tree tops looking for grows. It makes me so angry as it really spooks my sheep. Every year I have to call and complain and every year it's the same old thing. They say they don't intend to scare livestock but it doesn't stop them from doing it. It's like living in a war zone. Grrrr....ok enough griping.

I'm down to the last of the dress - netting on the slip. Can I say here that thank God I don't make tutu's for a living? What a pain in the you know where - I finally decided to take a break. I will be so glad to have this project completed and move on to cotton flower girl dresses. Cotton and I get along great. All this slippery stuff - well, give me cotton any day of the week. I will try to post pics in the next couple of days - it's difficult to get a picture that actually shows any of the spiffy details. White on white is like that.

Guess I should get back to it. I promised myself this project would be completed before the first of August and I'm really close. Enjoy dinner for me, Grace. I will probably end up with another grilled cheese sandwich.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  8:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am packing my bags right now! I love sweet and sour chicken!! Everything sounds so very yummy!! You are right! I would HATE to be put to work in your fiber room! I can't believe you had snowflakes! I think the weather is changing, but I don't think it's global warming! Even though it's been hot here, it has not been hot like it usually is! I don't think we have run the a/c overnight more than 5-6 times all summer so far and usually we run it overnight for about a month altogether in the middle of the summer!

By the way, I know this is really bad, but right now I am munching on Cheetos and that's my dinner tonight! Probably will have some chicken salad on crackers once I get the kids to bed! My hubby has gotten grilling chicken down to an art form and every time he makes it now it comes out perfect and juicy, so I always grill extra to have later!

Sheri, I can't imagine that making tutu's for a living would be very fun! I will say a prayer that you get them wrapped up quickly!

Rae, I don't have any sheep yet! Hopefully some day!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 30 2009 8:17:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  06:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Grace!

Goodness Gracious! Your weather is unbelievable! Hope everyone is holding out ok but it looks like you ae totally making the bestof it. Cooking is the first thing to go for me when it gets hot. We've had the coolest July that i can remember. But it has been beautiful. 70s and 80s, clear sky with rain at night. Sometimes heavy but I could stand it for a long time. It just makes for better production. I hate the high heat and humidity. I get nothing done.

Anyway the year and a half ordeal is behind me and I am back in the good times. Thanks for the kind words. You are absolutely right, it's mostly forgotten now. The shop is in the works still. Renovating the cottage is slow but moving along. We now have a young man coming everyday to help with all the chores around and we actually are able to save the big garden. Under all the weeds the veggies have mostly survived on their own. Soon they will be visisble and thriving and i won't have to plant a fall garden cause it's already done!

Grace I thought you had a farm shop, a brick and mortar one? I keep debating whether to do an etsy or not. It does seem to be glutted. Also have an Artfire account but have not activated it. I went with a Homestead (by Intuit) web and ecommerce shop. Not yet up, still getting it fixed up and pictues uploaded.

I too want to come for dinner! Your cooking sounds wonderful! Yeah, and like Monica, I would just hate working in that fiber room! Ha! Seriously if you were closer i would be there 'apprenticing' myself to you.

Sherri, bless you for working on that wedding dress. I haven't read the details back there of all the goings on but I can imagine the stress it has created.

Rae, I'm into my third year with the sheepies. Still learning and moving. I want more sheep but need more fencing for moving the them around. I would also love to have some pygora goats. Maybe a Cormo or two and a Columbia or three. I don't think our climate is right for them but I just love the fleeces.

Ta for now ladies!

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  07:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies

Another cool morning and just the kind of morning I love. The fog was so thick this morning you could not see to the end of my deck. All the wild beasties love this weather too. My huge owl was talking up a storm telling me of all the goings on in the forest.

I happen to love a Ruben or Grilled Cheese Sandwich - trust me I do not cook like this all the time. In fact I found that now it is just me I really do not care what or if I eat but when the mood stricks I cook like a mad women and freeze most of it so on those busy days I just have to pop it into the microwave and eat. Many times you will find me with a bowl of oatmeal or cheese and crackers.

Luna I do have a shop on the farm but it is open by appointment only - I had so many years of folks just coming at all hours even thou I have posted shop hours. I even had folks come on Christmas day because they had a couple of hours to kill before going on to Grannies house and thought they would just kill the time here. The nerve - and when I explained I had a house full of company for the very same holiday they are celebrating they would get huffy and say "Arent you in business here?" The worst part is those are the folks who never purchased anything thing... Even now when folks make appointments either they are three or more hours late, or do not show at all and then don't let me know till I have wasted most of the day.. I just do not understand folks - do they think I have nothing else to do??? O.K. I am ranting - but it really is so rude...

I am always reworking the way I do business and so I am always interested on the decissions others have made. I would love to hear more about the business plan or the thought processes you all are on with regards to your fiber animals and their by products. In this economy we have to get every penny we can together to keep our way of live going. Even my high end customers have cut back - that is a switch for me. Love to hear what plans you are all making for the future....

Stay dry and cool today

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  09:32:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, I think I am going to cry! I just checked out your etsy page and I see that all of the mohair is gone! Even the dyed ones! I had wanted to get some, but unfortunately I forgot! I can't believe the nerve of that lady to buy 12 packets of dyed mohair and not leave any for the rest of us! Oh well it's my fault for not grabbing some when you listed them! Congrats on the good sale!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  09:50:22 AM  Show Profile
Grace do you ever rest??
Hopefully I won't be too annoying here the next few weeks as we actually get things going for my sheep. I know you probably have not guessed this but I can't WAIT!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  10:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I am so excited for you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  5:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. The dress is finally finished!!!! I promised myself that I would have the dress/slip finished before the 1st. If you want to take a peek go to http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq329/SheepMom2/Wedding%20dress%20finished/.

It's so hard to get decent pictures especially of the train. It will give you an idea anyway.

Hope everyone is having a great day. Gotta get out there and get my evening chores done.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  5:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! You did an incredible job on it! I bet you are so happy to have it done!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  5:41:49 PM  Show Profile
WOW Sheri what an incredible dress - your talent is amazing and the love and time you placed into that gown will make the wedding day even more memorible.... Thank you for sharing the pictures...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  5:45:39 PM  Show Profile
Sheri that is amazing and just the most beautiful dress I have seen!!!
You certainly are a very talented lady!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  6:50:49 PM  Show Profile
O.K. Rae - How many days till Sheep???

I am doing the count down - I am excited for you and told all my goats about your new adventure. I must admit they stated you should have a goat or two but I told them sheep first then goats...

We are doing the Happy Sheep Dance for you here at the Funny Farm but you do realize we are a little bit different here - Right

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page