oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  11:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Grace, It is still cooler here today! We got enough rain to actually do some good. Sometimes it rains just enough to make everything even more humid than it already was! The yarn is beautiful! I am anxiously waiting for cooler days too!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Grace I know what you mean about the animals caring for each other. When my lamb got buried in the snow off the barn roof it was one of my wethers trying to dig him out that let me know where he was! If Barrick hadn't dug out his tail I wouldn't have had a clue where he was and he would probably have died before I found him under the six feet of snow. Animals have a real sense of it all - I wish more people were as tuned in. I'll take my animals any day of the week...My daughter tells her city friends that I am multi-lingual - I speak chicken, dog, cat, cow, pig and sheep!!!

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  1:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Our bigger dog is scared to death of thunder storms and our newest girl goes and lays by him to try help him settle down :-) She cries if he is outside for too long!
They care just like we do, even my chickens love to be petted!!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  06:22:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - well another very bumpy ride weather wise for the last two days. To big storms (a couple of tornadoes again but none here) and hail have hit the farm. I really can not remember such weather but we sure are paying for it. All is well this morning but they are saying to expect the same for the rest of the week - GREAT!

Rae, I am getting excited for you about the sheep - when are they coming - I have lost track??? Your sweet dog caring for the other - so touching. My Great Pry Chief is still giving kisses to little Boy Blue - in fact I had to tell him to knock it off because he was going to lick the skin right off his face at the rate he was going. Chief is such a lover but he sure can take your arm off if a stranger tries to touch is charges.

With all this wet weather I will be checking the pastures today - do not want something growing that should not be there. The chickens are having a field day with the mushrooms but again I have to check those too - don't want anyone getting sick or worse. All this wet also makes it hard on the weeds they are growing like WEEDS!! The goats love the thisles but there are limits to what they will eat and some of the weeds are a no go.

Hope evenone had a great day and I would love to hear what you do for fun on the farm....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  06:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Sheep, my husband can finally get some vacation next month so we should be able to get fence and shelter built if not before. I do have a question though, the poor things did not get sheared this summer as things have taken much longer to get done than what was thought. Can they still be sheared at this time of year. Our winters are awful cold and I don't want them freezing.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  07:22:06 AM  Show Profile
Rae you can but I would not take it down to the skin. You know the saying a little bit off the top. Also depending on the breed some will break their fleece and it will come off - so again take it to the break. The other reason to do a trim is you do not what that fleece to be attached to the new growth. You will have a mess - the fleece will not be in good shape to use next year - but that depends on if you are going to use it or sell it. You can also make them coats that will keep them warm if you need too.. Also if you just give a trim it will help them in producing more fleece during the winter. Being cool not freezing will promote the body to turn on the wool production. Also if you feed a higher protein diet during the winter they can keep the internal fires going.

Hope that helps..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  07:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Thank you it does, I suggested a trim but Hubby wasn't sure so I told him I will ask the experts which he thought was a great idea!! A trim it will be and if need be they will get some winter coats. Do you have any patterns or suggestions?
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  09:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, Grace, you always have a good story to share, girl. I enjoy reading them. This weather is just something. We're in triple digits this week and my main goal is to provide as much shade as possible to the critters and make sure the water troughs are filled and minerals/salt are available. Watering the garden this morning. Raspberries are going great guns. Got a batch freezing now and just finished off the pie. Gosh, that's a great recipe.

I finally felt sorry for "Moses" the new ram and put a yearling ram in with him from my flock for company. I usually never do that until they are through the 3 week quarantine but I was afraid with this heat that he would walk himself to death. Also, he's not very smart - he was from a show flock and he had never been on pasture before so he's learning how to graze. Seems he's catching on but he's not yet smart enough to know to go lay in the shade of the trees in the pasture which is nice and cool all morning but instead he lays in the shelter which has sun until noon. It's funny how raising an animal in a pampered environment takes the brains right out of them. Ya know? I realize they are adaptable to any situation but the most natural way possible seems to keep the instincts stronger in a domesticated animal.

Oh Sheri, we are expecting 101 today and I have all of the shades drawn and the little room A/C already cranked up. I went for a walk this morning (3 1/2 miles - still on the weight loss plan) early and I plan to stay inside the rest of the day and clean house. I have this week off from work so getting some organizing and sorting done like closets and drawers. I can imagine how hot painting would be in this weather plus the paint would dry almost too fast and the rollers, etc. Looks like no end in sight for the next week. Feast or famine, right? Monica, it's great you're getting a reprieve. I imagine you always expect a warm summer in Arizona though. Grace, you get the wacko award for weather this year.

Sarita, just think of how beautiful your kitchen will be soon. I hope it's clicking along well.

Grace, I too have never been into the sheep show thing and I think at some times it has affected our sales to not attend them and advertise ourselves more. That's why we did a website for the farm. But slowly we are tweaking things around and now that my time is a bit freer I hope to work more on our fiber sales and marketing.

Rae, there are lots of flocks around our area that fall shear. I am told as long as the ewes have cover for any cold nights shortly after shearing all is okay and they seem to adjust well once they get a bit of growth. Also, a shearer can use a No 13 blade which has some thickness to it so it leaves a bit of wool on and doesn't go right to the skin. Not sure if you're planning on shearing your own like Grace does or what, but it's a thought.

Beverley, I have to admit I giggled reading your chicken story. I have NEVER heard of giving a chicken a bath. But my chickens never wanted to be petted either. They hung out with us but would not tolerate being touched. I find it interesting that chickens even get lice considering how well they are at eating bugs. Guess they aren't like monkeys though, picking through each other's feathers.

Well, I am turning this thing off to keep my office cooler, so ya'll have a great day, keep cool, keep warm, keep safe and happy trails. And Grace, I will have the pics of the new ram on my blog in short order. He's just so sweet and kind and loves a scratch behind the ears. Very nice disposition.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Finally got all the potted plants watered and dead headed. It is a real chore to keep things looking good with this heat. Hey - I gotta good one for you - I had a stand of bull thistles in my pig pen that isn't being used right now and my stupid new neighbor called the sheriff and said I was growing pot. The sheriff and her walked down my fence line toward my barn and then stood there and talked and pointed. He looked like thunder he was so disgusted and she was just shrugging her shoulders and laughing about her "mistake". I tell you life is just a hoot sometimes.

All the outside painting is done. I am back in the sewing room and working like crazy on getting that bridal dress hemmed. Lots of hand work. I had to wash a bunch of hand wash laundry to get all the lingering dirt off my hands before I dared to touch it. I also had to cut off all my finger nails they were so thrashed from weeding. I hope it all goes together without a hitch. I really don't like to do linings.

Have a great day everyone. Try to stay cool. Better be careful Grace your goats might get "stoned" off those thistles!!!

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  11:37:31 AM  Show Profile
Sheri you are too funny
We do plan on doing our own shearing. We will have only 4 to start with so shouldn't be too bad, of course once we catch them! When we watched them when my son and family were on vacation I talked to them everyday, by the end they would stand and listen to me and not run off so there is hope once we get them here. My goofy chickens love being petted, they stop in front of me until I do!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  2:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sheri - I laughed so hard - what kind of a dumb butt neighbor do you have??? Sorry I know that was not kind but REALLY!!! Doesn't your neighbor have something to do with her time like go to the library and get a book on plants??? Stoned goats - that would be just up our alley - Folks already think the Funny Farm is out there - have you ever seen the movie "Saving Grace"? My sons purchased that for me because of my love of plants, my green thumb and the business path "Grace" picked after her husband's sudden death.. Trust me I am not growing pot but I must admit it looks really weird in my basement with my grow lights going - regular seedlings but it always makes me giggle when I see it from the outside - neck if fiber sells don't pick up - NO just kidding I also understand completly about the nails - I promised my son I would not do any outside work that might harm me so I would not be bugger up for the pictures. Well, Mishka could not take one more day of the 90 something heat with her 9 inch long lockets so I went out to give her a haircut. The stupid neighbor gunned his tractor - she went one way, her broken horn went the length of my forearm - needless to say I looked like Freddy Kruger played with me. I kept my lovely beaded jacket on for all the pictures no matter what the temp was because several ladies saw the arm and made faces and sounds that I knew I should not let the wedding party see it. It is healing nicely but really we are all working farm gals - what do they expect?? Neck I painted my nails for the first time in three years - my son noticed and gave me a huge hug "Mom, just for us - nails". It is the little things in life around here...

Rae I have chickens who love to be picked up and rocked. When my sons showed chickens yes they got baths, cream on the feet and combs - the full works and we have thropies and ribbons for all that work.
If you interested in shearing with a good electric shear - I have one for sale.. I use scissors since I broke my hand - the vibration of the electric shears make my hand spaz out.

Jami I can not wait to see your guy - I know what you mean - we call them "Hot House Animals" which me sons and I meant by that is they are as smart as a potted plant and have not ability to take care of themselves. I am sure he will learn the ropes but I so know what you mean.

Got to run - those afternoon clouds are gathering up again... I did manage to fill some of the very long driveway holes today. The water has washed so much away that I was hauling dirt from all over the farm. Fudge for Grace tonight I earned it..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  3:11:30 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, Maybe you could make a neighborly gesture and take her a book about identifying plant!!!hehe how funny!

Grace, When are we going to get to see pics from the wedding? Hope your arm is better and I have to say, I can't imagine you with nail polish on! I must confess that I must have a dozen bottles of nail polish, but they are all about 5 years old and I don't even wear them! I got in this weird mood to paint my nails when I was pregnant with Olivia so I bought a ton and then I never did it! I forgot to tell you, I found a Louet roving carder on Craigslist in Tuscon for $200.00, but to my luck the lady won't ship it and Tuscon is 7 hours away! Oh well! It's all going too slow anyway!

Jami, I hope it cools down for you! It's still hot here!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  6:20:27 PM  Show Profile
Monica - my nail polish all seven of them where about seven or so years old - I had to take the plyers to some. The only one that was still good was a golden color which was perfect for my natural linen outfit. Now I can not get it off because I do not have remover and it is all chipped and messed up. So I will put it on the list...

As for the pictures I am still waiting - the kids just got back late Sunday and Nick had a huge trade show in Utha for the next week. Brooke is just trying to get things organized so I am sitting nicely waiting. I promise as soon as I get some you will get to see.

I cut the goat milk fudge - boy I sure do make a great fudge. Wished I could give you all some but your weather is too hot to ship.

Sorry about the carder - I have put out the word so I will see if I can find one. Got to run I have students coming and my voice is a whisper - I guess I should not have pulled weeds this morning but I thought the students might get lost on their way to the shop. Talk to you all later or should I say whisper...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  7:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I had to laugh when I read that you didn't have any nail polish remover because I have done exactly the same thing!! The fudge sounds sooo yummy!!! I talked to the lady on the phone about the carder and you know how some fiber people you just click with from the first moment, this was not one of those conversations! I think she is the exact opposite of you! Not interested at all to going to any trouble to help! I must say that I will very patiently wait for pics because for me, 10 1/2 years later, I am still not organized! Oh I wish I was one of your students on their way over!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  7:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Grace I love that movie. In fact I just watched it on the sattalite dish a couple of weeks ago. As to my stupid neighbor - well I am beginning to think she is major bi-polar and needs some serious medication. She is constantly screaming at her kids and not nice words either - she uses the "f" word on her kids. They aren't that close either but they yell and scream so much I know all their private business. She had a penchant for outdoor burning too until I went up there and had "words of warning" for her about burning trash in WA state - there is a state wide ban and a $1,000 fine. I think that is why she called the sheriff - she probably thought they would come in with guns blazing or something. I've been here a long time and like you I have a grow light for starting my spring time seedlings - probably really give her a thrill - a big cucumber and tomato grow!!

I hope your arm is ok. Rae you are braver than I am to sheer your own sheep. I used to sheer my poodle but I don't think I could do the sheep without wracking up my body to uselessness just in time for garden season. I think it would really kick up the tendonitis in my hands.

Monica, good luck with the carder. I have a line on a large floor loom for a really reasonable price - now if I can just raise the money....

Jami I hope you didn't melt over there.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  7:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I said a prayer that things work out and you are able to get the loom! Your neighbor really doesn't sound too bright!!! I would laugh though if she ends up getting busted for burning trash!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I would make that crazy neighbor a batch of brownies and put a nice bouquet of thistle tied with a ribbon on top...make her wonder what is in those brownies!
Jami, can't wait to see your Moses! I know what you mean about those show animals...Hope you can cool down soon. We have abnormally wet and cool summer. In fact the last week has been really nice in the 70s, sunny, cool breeze, occasional light rains. Our grass is usually brown and crunchy this time of year and we don't have to mow...we are mowing this big yard and orchard weekly this summer.
Rae, you are a brave woman. I hand shear just a couple of my sheep because the others are too much for me. The ones I shear will stand with a halter on. So glad that things are coming together and your woolie ones will be home soon.
Grace, you have really had the storms this summer! My mouth waters thinking about your fudge!
Monica, the bug has bitten you hard. First comes the spinning wheel, then the drum carder and next thing you know...you have a flock of sheep!
Sheri, hope you can get the loom. I enjoy mine so much when I have time to use it.
Kitchen is done except for the trim and maybe some changes in the wall treatment but at least I can cook again and we can sit at the table for a meal. I am so thankful that when they got into the floor that it was not as bad as they thought. The old floor joists are native oak that had been hand hewed and in very good shape. All this time because the floor was not level we thought the old house was settling and possibly the floor joists were rottening...heck no! it is the way it was built. They think the kitchen may be over 150 years old. Oh well, it is mine and I love it and we will continue to throw money at the list of home improvement projects. Smile...what would we do with all our spare time and money anyway?
I have been waiting on a call to pick up my new GP guard dog puppy all this month, the guy wanted it to out with the other dogs to make it a working dog for me. I can't wait! My heeler dog, Sissy, is a good guard dog for the sheep and she loves the babies. If one of the ewes is sick, Sissy lays out by the old ewe and I have seen her go over and lick the ewe's nose and she walks the floor when we have a lamb on the way and the ewe is having trouble. I know when I step out the door if we have a new baby because Sissy is bouncing around and barking excitedly at me to hurry to the barn. She howls and barks when coyotes get too close. But she gets behind me if I am packing my pistol, she hates the noise it makes. I hope Sissy takes to the new GP.
Jami, have a warm piece of raspberry pie with a dip of ice cream for me...umhhhhh!
I have not gotten to read your blogs lately so need to quit and catch up on whats going on with you all.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  08:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Happy Thursday girls:

Great to hear from all of you and of your happenings.

I could go for a piece of cold fudge, kind of like ice cream or something, right? Sarita, this raspberry pie is actually best cold. It has a sour cream/sugar/flour topping on top of the layer of fresh berries so I keep it in the fridge. I used the pie crust recipe from The Farm Chicks cookbook for a single layer crust using butter. Whew, that is a good pie crust.

I have the pic of Moses on the blog now so you can see him there. He's really a sweet ram and is figuring out how to graze. Soon he'll be a regular sheep. I need to get motivated to keep up my blog better. I have a ton of neat pics I've taken with my new camera but I'm too distracted to get them on there.

Well, hot or cold we're having a nice summer, all of us. No family health issues, no big catastrophes or anything. Don't you want to just pinch yourself when life is humming along without a hitch? I want to hold my breath. My mom just came through her gallbladder surgery well. I'll be traveling to see her next week for an overnighter. Kids happy and getting married, watching our favorite movies, getting critters we've longed for and having the strength to fill our potholes....that's a play on words there for you Grace, considering your basement situation.

Monica, they blended all of the funky stuff for the Camp Pluckyfluff yarns on a Louet carder, both sizes wide and narrow, and Lexi prefers the Louet so I hope you find one. I have a Strauch/revamped Fricke (bought out by Strauch) that I got for free and sent in to be upgraded and it cost me a mint but not as much as a new one.

I took my walk/run this morning and it was 70 degrees at 7 a.m. Supposed to only be 90 today...only. I have a meeting so had best get to it. Working on the fair booth for the county sheep producers and the fair theme is Dancing with the Steers....talk about a goofy theme. They used to be real generic themes like Kickin up Our Heels or something like that which we could find stuff to fit it well but now it's harder.

Oh, and the nail polish--I just finally went through my bottles while cleaning out my medicine cabinet (talk about an adventure in pharmacology) and threw out anything that I couldn't get the top off of by hand. I haven't done my nails in sometime...not even for my son's wedding last year. You know, we were leaving to head to Seattle to the wedding at 4 am that day and had a brand new set of twins out in the drop paddock...so that's how my son's wedding day started...we were almost late for the wedding by the time we got things situated.

Good day girls. Eat fudge, be merry and dance on the new kitchen floor. I think this morning exercise has my endorphins up or something.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266

Edited by - Jami on Jul 23 2009 08:55:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  09:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Last nail polish I used was for my daughter's wedding...even did the toe nails! I then experimented with some of the chop stix that I made into knitting needles and painted a pair...not bad!
I put up some of the Spring lambs pics on my blog....should call it may quarterly blog, I really have good intentions.
Cleaning house getting ready for the outlaws...oh, I mean my in-laws that will be coming in next week for the Coffman family reunion..x%#@*& every year...I have got to the point that the last of July is torture for me. (pssss (these are not nice people and always turn their nose up at my sheep and they are allergic to wool....think I will tell them I have started weaving wool sheets and blankets for all our beds and the pillows are all feather stuffed! They like to eat my cooking...or rather too cheap to go to a motel and eat out! Sorry, I don't sound very Christian and I need your prayers. Thanks for letting me vent...saved me a doctor's visit for an antidepressant! (smile, today is going to be great and I have my kitchen back.)
Updated my blog with lamb pics, garden pics and my new wool washing sink that is being used outside.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:23:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sarita you are funny and you are in my prayers. Anyone who doesn't appreciate sheep or farm animals shouldn't be allowed on a farm
Good luck!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:47:46 PM  Show Profile
Grace thank you for offer sent email to you.

The green eyed bug of envy is attacking me right now as you all talk about your sheep. I am learning so much though as I read each line and SOMEDAY.....

Rae

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  2:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Rae, it will happen I am sure of it. Patience is a hard one for me too.

Sarita, my heart goes out to you on the outlaws. I am so fortunate to have awesome in-laws but I've heard stories and I can empathize with how irritating whiners are. Maybe it's time you take your awesome cooking back a notch, girl. Chris Ledoux sang a great song called We've Got a $5 Fine for Whining. Maybe you need to paint ya up one of those signs and post it at the door. I think one of the lines is "we tell you before you come in. If it ain't on your mind to have a good time, ya'll come back and see us again." (In other words, don't let the door hit your behind.) Loved the pictures on your blog. I too need to do a newsy update with pics. Great sink! Like those little clay toppers you put on the knitting needles too. You are super creative.

Sheri, the neighbor story and responses about made me fall off of my chair, especially the "brownies" comment and then Grace's comments. I was thinking all sorts of "fun brownies" stories to mellow that neighbor out from Grace's lit up basement...nasturtium brownies, petunia brownies, etc. It is sad to hear of the yelling and unrest in that household though. No way to raise kids.

The fingernail polish stories are just too funny. We are all cut from the same cloth I fear (or rejoice, not sure which.)

Monica, I am now thinking I need a picker so if you run across one in your carder quest, please pass on that info. Have no clue where I'll keep it of course, but think it would save me a lot of hand picking? Grace and Sarita, are they worth having?

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  8:54:01 PM  Show Profile
Jami, I wish you had my picker, I just don't enjoy using it. I like to take the wool stables in my hands and spread them out or sometimes I just load onto the large drum of the drum carder the first time around. My wool is all at least 3 1/2 inches long plus and pretty fine and sometimes I over load the picker and it tangles and breaks the wool. Might be the operator....I guess I am a hands on person and love the feel of the wool, sounds silly but as I handle the wool it is telling me how to process and spin it and then what to knit or weave. I don't think I am the only one on this topic that thinks this way...am I?
I have a Patrick Green Drum carder and wish I had a larger one...3 drums or more and electric. I think I would enjoy working in a wool processing mill.
Jami, Moses is a pretty boy. He has that smile doesn't he? Will he breed all the ewes or will you be using your other ram too?
Sheri, did I tell you that the carrot cake was a big hit, my son in law has told me a few times how good it was...hint, hint. Thanks for that wonderful recipe. I bet you could whip out some delicious brownies!
Rae, you will have your sheep soon, I know you will. Take comfort that you will get to wade out in that deep snow in the freezing temps to feed and water...oh yeah you will need a heated waterer and wrap and insulate the water pipes unless you plan to carry water to those sweet lambies. And don't forget to have hubby build you a place to sit and visit with your sheep.
Monica, any leads on drum carders?
Grace, has your weather settled down any? Looks like things have really warmed up for you.
I didn't aim to sound like I don't like company earlier. I love to have friends and family come and visit. My father in law was like a father to me, we both loved to garden, horses, coon dogs, and got along so great. He always made me promise that he would get to die right here on this farm and I saw that he got his wishes, stepping on his own children's toes. Long story and lots of hard feelings under the bridge...all phony balonies...sit around drinking wine, travel abroad, and making fun of the other relatives that are not present at the time...I would rather be scooping sheep barnyard marbles and on my knees weeding in my garden...I really need your prayers to be nice and pleasant while they are here for my husband's sake. I really appreciate your encouragement and prayers. Jami, I am afraid that my face says a thousand words to them. I know if any of you came to visit I would be so excited and we would sit on the porch and sip on sweet southern iced tea or at the kitchen table talking about our animals, our blessings, or out to the barn with the animals.
Sheep sisters, you all make me smile and enjoy you so much.

Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:20:02 PM  Show Profile
Sarita I am glad that the cake was a hit, I was wondering how it went. I have a friend who raises Shetlands who tried to use a picker without very good results either so perhaps it's the extra long, fine fiber?? I do have a fantastic brownie recipe if anyone wants it....without thistles or nastursums...I wouldn't waste it on my neighbor. If you get a different drum carder perhaps we could barter for that knitting machine you were interested in? I don't have a drum carder and really can't afford one right now but if you are interested down the road....

I wish I had the time to just sit and spin and spin....even pick vm out of fleeces would be nice. I am working on the end of that wedding dress and tacking linings is not my idea of fun. Thought I had it done only to find out I'd tweaked the lining in the train and had to take half out and re-press and re-pin and now I have it back on the dress form to double check the drape before sewing it by hand again. It's difficult to get it perfectly lined up as the train lays on the floor. Keep your collective fingers crossed that this time is the charm because I am starting to get a wee bit miffed at this point. Tomorrow afternoon another fitting so I can mark the hem in the Organza over skirt so I can hem and put the 5" lace trim on the bottom and then the dress is pretty much finished.

As to nail polish - I had to order some for the wedding because I didn't have a single viable bottle left. I do have the remover, however I use it to remove PVC glue from my hands after working on the sprinkler system!

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  05:01:37 AM  Show Profile
Sarita prayers going out for you for strength and patience. Those 2 things out to help oh yeah and lots of humor!!!
You did what your father in law wanted and that is all that matters. We live closest to both parents so usually take charge of things as well but have been fortunate as everyone appreciates it. Of course I don't care as I do what I think is best, I am told I am my auntie all over again Actually she was awesome I think.
Thanks for encouragement on my sheep. Yeah it will be deep snow and freeze but that is ok. I am already planning my daily sit down with them when they come.
Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page