True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  6:57:39 PM  Show Profile
Sheri,
they all but have gone away. So I am not sure what caused them but whatever it was it was a bug with a short life span.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  09:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I went digging thru my tons of stash things and found a wonderful white silk ladies fan that I will be flapping away trying to stay cool. I have also changed the design of the shawl to be much more open and airy then first planned because of the heat. When I get everything done I will place a picture on the blog.

I am hoping this heat will not dry out all the tall grass too quickly. I do not have time to cut it before the wedding so I pray we will not crisp up too fast.

So ladies what plans are you having for the month of July??? Anything fun or different??

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  9:20:30 PM  Show Profile
Well there is a fiber festival about and hour and a half from me and this year I am going to check it out. That is all I have planned for this month..

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  03:41:35 AM  Show Profile
Fencing and fencing and building sheep shelter, trying to keep ahead of weeds in the garden and of course watering everything unless we get some much needed rain!!!

Oh yeah does anyone know about oak and sheep, what part of oak is bad? The acorns or leaves or what?
And being I just joined the Sisterhood yesterday working on badges

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  06:45:25 AM  Show Profile
Rae

Sorry I forgot, I do not have oak around here so this is not something I have experience in - Some of my breeder friends so no eating the acorns, leaves are o.k. if not eaten a lot. I know we have scrub oak and I was told not to let the llamas eat too much because it could cause a toxin level that would have them losing their babies. I would suggest that you contact your local extention office and they can give you better information for your location and livestock. Wished I could be of more assistance.

So we are to keep up on the weeds - with all the rain we had the weeds are just taking over everything. I managed to weed the front bed and transplant some wild roses and yarrow. The problem is the driveway is just covered. Llama Boy is trying to assist but after the wedding it is weeding....

Did give Mishka a haircut last night - with the horrible heat and her locks to the ground I just had to put aside time. She was not happy while I was doing it but once I finished she jumped and ran around the pasture with glee.. The she gave me tons of licks and snuggles. Her fiber was spoken for and the buyer is picking it up this morning. The average lock was eight inches - not bad for a bottle kid. She still is only the size of girls that where born this year but I love her all the same. After the wedding I will get some pictures of the sweet ones, some will be up for sale too.

Have a cool day - I have to finish my shawl for the wedding.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  07:37:15 AM  Show Profile
July is a busy month for me for "extracurricular" activities. Lots of ongoing yard work (yes, the weeds are growing wonderfully)and gardening/harvesting. Lavender is ready for picking and drying. About 1/3 of the way through it so far. Raspberries are about ready to start so there is freezing and jam making to do.

Working on county sheep producer group's fair booth.

This Friday have a buyer coming to pick out ewes.

Saturday we haul 20 lambs to the Buy Day in Yakima area.

Sunday I finish stuffing bags with wool that isn't good enough to have processed and we help load up the wool for the wool pool which is Monday.

Next Thursday a trip to Seattle to see my daughter for her birthday.

Following Friday and Saturday is the ram sale in Moses Lake.

Third week have a buyer coming to get a ram from Oregon.

Fourth Saturday haul cull ewes to the auction.

Final week just might get in some vacation time?? It's all good!! I'm happy to have the health to do all of this and enjoy the process.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  08:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Grace I call extension office and got my info.

FYI for whoever out there: acorns are bad as when they chew them get shards that cut up their stomach and the such. The shoots from oaks can make them ill, leaves are less toxic as they get bigger but the good thing is they are also out of the eating range for sheep. So now it makes sense for me.

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  11:40:58 AM  Show Profile
Rae,
thanks for that info cause we have oaks on our property.
Jami, you made me tired just ready all the things you have to do. WOW!!!
Grace,
Boy I wish I lived close enough to get an angora baby from you. Yours just sounds so wonderful!!!

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  12:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Beverly
Glad to share the info, so be sure you don't have any little oaks around the sheep. We have a lot of shoots right now too so have to be sure we get rid of them or no sheep there.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  6:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals,
Sounds like everyone is very busy. We have had hot temps with high humidity. Cool showers needed after working outside.
We have been busy in the gardens, barns, pastures, and in the studio. We also had company for the week of the 4th. Uneventful 4th, just a family BBQ.
I guess the bank being robbed in the nearby town and the robbers went by our house has been the worse thing that has happened since I last posted. The law was everywhere, helicopers flying over and I had no idea what was going on...just living in my own little world. That happened on July 2nd and they have robbed 3 more banks since then and just heard that they were caught today. They were armed and in one of the robberys they shot at the law...why do people think they can get away with these things? The funniest thing is that I knew something was going on but my neighbors weren't answering their phones so I got out the truck and headed to town to buy feed...Highway patrolman started following me and did so for over 21 miles. Hubby said they were probably trying to see if I had unwanted riders! After I found out that the bank had been robbed and the robbers were armed and they didn't have any idea where they might be...I slapped on my pistol to be out in the garden and out tending live stock. Didn't sleep well for a couple of nights either!
As for the mineral issue, we don't have enough selineum and I have to feed the loose mineral. And I buy the best I can buy, over $30 a bag. I tried the blocks but I had some ewes go down and caught it in time, gave shots and talked to the vet, he told me that we live in an area that is very low on selenium. We have tried to add the mineral elements but no luck due to the heavy rains that we have had the last few years, it is a very expensive endeavor. I also keep a salt block out close to the waterers. This causes the sheep to drink more and prevents kidney stones.
We had 2 1/2 inches of rain Friday and Saturday and just light rains since then so the barn lots and pastures have dried some and no more trouble with sheep feet. Vet told me that he has seen more foot rot in the last year than he has in a very long time. I have bleached down the barn and have it off limits for a few more days. I am also the super dupper pooper scooper...I have the shovel and wheelbarrel out and keeping all the manure that I can find picked up....(the life of a sheppard) but being on the positive side...my compost pile is tall.
Rae, sorry about the dogs getting you off your feet...glad you are OK.
Well, sheepy friends, time to get the sheep back in the barn lot for the night.
Take care everyone and stay cool.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  6:31:00 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you have a guard animal and which one do you have or have had? If you have had different ones tell me which one you have liked the most. ie, guard donkey, llama or dog type? Thanks bev

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:01:38 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, good to hear from you. Sounds like Bonnie and Clyde around your place...and you packing a pistol! I love your farmgirl style, girl, especially living in your own little world. I'm exactly the same way about not knowing anything that's going on until it's over. Glad all is well and the thieves are caught.

Minerals - I too buy a loose mineral (expensive but not as expensive as Sarita's). Mine has brewer's yeast and diatomaceous earth in it too which the jury is still out on whether this has benefits or not, but it doesn't hurt to try something new. It is very high in selenium. I mix loose salt in with the minerals about 30% or so. They love the minerals so I know they are getting salt if I mix it in.

Beverley - regarding guard animals - we have a Pyrenees neutered male who is afraid of lightning and thunder and gunshots. That is why I hate 4th of July fireworks! Anyhow, he's worth his weight in gold and worth the early morning and sometimes all-night barking as we have only lost one lamb since he came to the farm 4 years ago. We've had a few chewed on by coyotes but not lost. Ours is very friendly to people and he's a real dear. I have a friend who is training a pup now and I don't know if I would ever want to do that hearing her stories. This is her second try at a pup. The last one tried to maul her sheep to death and she found a pet home for it. We got Sterling as a 3-year old from a gal going out of the sheep business so really lucked out.

Gotta get to this Monday, girls, but did get the wool out of my garage and 21 lambs to market Saturday. Yeah! Got 23 more to market and the rest are breeders. The grass is really holding out well this year with the cool temps of this summer. The garden isn't producing so great yet though. Give and take.

Sarita, it was so cool last night I slept with an extra blanket. Day before it was almost 100. Go figure!

Grace, wedding is close I know. Thinking of you. Rae, mending okay? Ya'll check in when you can.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  09:03:02 AM  Show Profile
I am mending pretty good, black and blue mark on my chin is almost gone, finally!!
I have to tell you all about my chickens, even though this is the sheep goat forum. I have one that has started to let me pet her, in fact last night when I went in to change water and feed she wouldn't move from in front of me until I pet her!! Last night another allowed me to do so too
Just having fun !!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  09:37:16 AM  Show Profile
Hope everyone had a good weekend. My son and his intended came on both days and we did some major weeding in the garden. It was so nice to have the help. I've been doing battle with knapweed - I really hate that stuff. I had an upper-respiretory virus last week that really laid me out but at least I feel human again and am getting my energy back. Jami,I know what you mean about the temperature fluctuations - in the 90's one day and in the 50's the next. Rain today and as fast as the fields are crisping up it's very welcome.

Sarita sounds like you had a real adventure in your neck of the woods. How did your carrot cake turn out?

Glad to hear you are on the mend, Rae.

Hope the wedding comes off without any undue problems, Grace. I can see you just fanning away!!

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  11:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Eeek! Dyeing question I probably should have asked BEFORE I started soaking my fiber: I'm using Country Classics (hand painting) and I think you can microwave the fiber instead of steaming it, but nowhere in the instructions does it say how or how long. Does anyone know? Thanks much!!

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  2:13:59 PM  Show Profile
I go in one-minute increments if I've got it wrapped nicely up in plastic wrap and it steams well.Go by smell too. I set it in vinegar water once it's cool enough to handle and before I do a final wash/rinse after dyeing.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  2:15:28 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a concrete set amount of time in the microwave but I would imagine a few minutes would be pretty max depending on the watts of your microwave.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  07:39:31 AM  Show Profile
I am looking for "roving" wool? I want to felt some soaps...never did that before, but I love the look of it. Anyone willing to barter for some handcrafted soap?

Just e-mail me here....

Thank you girls!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies I am back and still catching my breath

The wedding went off with a few snags but what do you expect. It started to shower just as the bride was walking into the front garden but everyone had their gear ready. We had minor snags but all in all it was lovely and we are now done with that. I will have more stories on my blog by the weekend and hopefully some pictures soon. I was busy with so much everyone told me they would share photo's because I just could not do one more thing. Yes, I even managed to curl my hair (four days of practice and handfulls of torn out hair later) you see I NEVER curl my hair and this is really a pain.

Let's see about catching up. I have three Great Pry's, two females and on intact male. I have trained and raised six for myself and tons for others - trust me each dog and breed has their own strengths and you really must know what you are doing. You can not just set a dog out and expect it to work. Next, I also have trained about 4 dozen guard llamas for folks and run three here. Again, you must train the right llamas for the job. I have had llamas kills coyotoes and even had a large Alpaca male go up against a mountain lion but those animals have been trained and they really had the natural desire. My Great Pry's are trained not to be people friendly because we even have folks who have had livestock stollen so I always tell folks that if you see big white dogs out do not get out of your car till I come. My dogs have NEVER attacked any of the animals who they are protecting but my one dog "Jaws" would move rams when they got in the wrong spot by picking a back leg and dragging them if they would not go the right way. That is not what you want so the was given the llamas and alpacas to guard because you go for their leggs and they will kick him in the face. That soon trained him that leggs where off limits. Please do your homework before deciding-we have too many livestock dogs who are shot, put down or left out along the road because they where not trained and controlled.

As for the dyeing, I work my wool in 1 minute chuncks and for other finer things it is in 30 second chuncks. I too use smell to tell so that means you do not walk away. If the fleece has any damage you really need to watch because it can catch on fire.

Well, glad to hear that everyone is doing well - I will be posting stories on the blog soon and more new products on Etsy. Yes, to calm myself I had the dye pots going - this is my mediation and I even found myself spinning at 2 am just to center myself. Great to be back.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  08:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Grace good to have you back and glad the wedding went well and is done. ALways such a big sigh of relief isn't it?!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  08:26:20 AM  Show Profile
Grace, is your mind just still swirling with things about the wedding? A big event like that gets me all stirred up too with things I maybe should have said or should have done differently, etc. Glad you've got spinning and dyeing to keep you busy but hope you get some decent sleep soon. It's great to hear the wedding was good and that it's OVER!!! I'm sure it was a lovely day and no one besides you felt the stress at your beautiful place. Will look forward to the pics on your blog.

My friend is trying to train her LGD but gosh, she's having a hard time with it. She keeps her chained most of the time and my husband said that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? He's right. She ties tires and stuff around it's neck so it won't chase down the sheep and chew the elastic legs on the coats they wear. She chews the elastic legs off of her sheep coats and the coats end up falling off and lots of repairs are necessary. I don't use coats so I don't have a solution for her. Her dog is a mix, Maremma/Pyr or Akbash/Pyr, can't remember. She's read up all about training one and seems to know more than I do. I have had lots of people offer me free llamas but I would not know what to do with one. Sounds like you really like them. We lucked out with Sterling being so friendly. He even helps move sheep around and doesn't mind our dogs in herding his sheep.

Good to hear from you, girl. I need to get busy. The ram sale is this weekend and guess I should get it in gear for the last-minute things to do. This is my last hoorah as secretary so it feels super relaxed compared to my usual state of mind for this event.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  2:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Jami, How soft is Coopworth wool compared to other wools? I have Romney and Corridale, but I have never had Coopworth. I was looking at your etsy page and saw the pencil roving. I will have to add it to my ever growing wish list, which is getting longer by the minute!

Grace, It sounds like things are getting back to normal for you! I was sitting in town today waiting to catch ups and I, of course had my drop spindle with me, and a lady walked my and said it was too hot to sit outside and spin and I got so excited that she knew what I was doing! We talked for a bit and she commented about loving silk so I gave her one of my cards and wrote down your etsy address on the back for her. I told her that you have the best silk. I have to say that I hope you don't sell any of the locks until I can just buy them all up! I finally ordered a copy of Spinning Designer Yarns yesterday, so maybe now I will have a clue as to what I am actually doing!

I know that a lot of you spin and sell yarn and I have a question for you. I sold some art yarn this weekend and I went to ship it out on Monday and I realized that I had marked it for 26 yards and it was supposed to have been 18 yards. I figured it would give her a deal of some sort and I contacted her through etsy, but the problem I am having now is that I have not heard back from her! I was thinking of sending it to her with a note and working something out from there, but I would kind of like to hear from her first! I don't want her to be just waiting for the yarn and not having it showing up, but at this point I am just not sure what to do! So what would you do?

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  06:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls - well, my dyeing day was a bit of a disaster...I was past the point of no return by the time I got an answer and had already gone out, bit the bullet, and bought a stainless steel pot and set the dye that way. At which point it started to rain (again...it's done nothing but rain all summer) so my dyeing operation was effectively shut down (and also I ran out of time.)

My question about the microwave is...what am I smelling for? What is it supposed to smell like when it's done?

Also, does anyone know just how "toxic" Country Classic dye is? I mean, I know I can't use the utensils for any other purpose now, but can I just dump the dye water off the porch or should I hike it out to somewhere in the meadow where we won't come in contact with it? It said after it was set (apparently) you could dispose of the water right down the drain, but we had dye water that we had washed our hands and brushes in while dyeing that I just dumped. Is that a no-no?

Handpainting is fun to a point, but I think I'll do more mixing in the carder rather than on the roving. It was quite an experience.

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:35:08 AM  Show Profile
Dyeing is a new experience each and every time so don't feel bad - you learned something and will change it up a bit next time and figure out more about it. I don't handpaint much either just because of the mess factor and I don't have a separate microwave either and I do have separate cook top and dye pots. Hey, I just toss out the dye water on my gravel driveway. But my dye baths are almost clear by the time I'm finished up so most of the dye is in the fiber. I don't want to toss it in any fields as we have animals grazing in all of them so the gravel driveway or the lawn is my pick.

Grace, I took a look at your Etsy the other day. Wow, you have a lot of silk. I know little about silk although I have purchased some silk roving before and mixed it in with my wool and it turned out really pretty. How are cocoons different from roving for spinning?

Monica, I find Coop smoother than Romney and it spins up nicer without the little fuzzies and nubbies which I seem to get with Romney. I prefer a smoother yarn for most uses. Coopworth sheep are Romney and Border Leicester breeds crossed for long lustrous wool and focus on maternal instincts, dual purpose sheep. Sounds like you've been busy spinning away, girl. Good for you! Regarding your customer, I guess I would ship and put in a note about the change if you can't get hold of her. Communication is so key to having a good store.

Supposed to be really hot the next few days. Ya'll be good until I get back from the sheep sale.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:38:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and the smell of the microwave dyeing...it's like when you're baking cookies or a cake and you just begin to smell them and they are almost done. That sort of thing--except it's the wool getting hot/soaked in dye smell. You know, when I've been dyeing and my DH gets home from work he says "you've been dyeing." By the smell.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page