Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  07:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Grace, hold onto your hat, girl. My goodness!

Your gifts sound lovely and I would have enjoyed seeing them but hey, you've been so busy creating and holing up in the basement that I can see why it slipped your mind!

Hope things are better today.

I am preparing fiber (combing) for the spinning class this weekend. I found a whole stash of stuff I forgot I had from a combing class I took a few years back. There's a lot of Wensleydale mixed in with mohair and my Coopworth dyed locks. They are all so pretty and I'm blending the colors and fibers so should make an interesting yarn in addition to the "add-ons" she asks for in the class list. Thread, sequins, beads, metallic yarn, etc. I hope I'm not in over my head.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  07:53:16 AM  Show Profile
Do you all feel the same way about sheep tails??
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:00:27 AM  Show Profile
I guess I missed a whole page of posts when posting last.

Sheri, so glad you got through the graduation. Now that's something to take busy lap work to, right? That might be considered rude I guess. I want to come see your flower garden. Bet you could teach me a thing or 2 or a million. The horses leaned over the garden fence and ate one of my strawberry plants. I just planted 2 in a corner that I got 75% off and one struggles to live. I too wore 2 shirts and a jacket yesterday. I finally had to lay down on the couch around 3 yesterday afternoon after work with a quilt and I watched a show on TV and warmed up. Then I was okay for the rest of tne night but gosh it got to me.

It's funny the crafting/artistic thing - I think if a person is artistic they can't get enough and must move or delve into more and more venues = takes up more space. I have many non-crafty people in my family who are amazed by anything handmade but they never think of trying their hand at anything. They just say "Oh, I'm not crafty." Everything I see makes me think "hmmm, wonder if I could make that?" I'm sure you're all the same.

I think I told you we weaned lambs Sunday. Gosh...it's been noisy but today it's quieting down some. The ewes are on dry feed (grass hay) in a dry lot area and the lambs are on a very lush pasture with a couple of yearling baby-sitters. I thought the baby-sitters were helping but now they seem to be standing at the gate wanting to be in with the ewes. The guard dog is in with the lambs. The ewes were quite cranky for a day or so...butting each other, some were clearly depressed looking laying flat out, others with their heads stuck in the fence from trying to eat pasture. I know my girls but I also know that we are not going to have any mastitis issues next year so we are being kind of ruthless about this weaning.

One thing I watch for when doing the weaning process is mothering instincts, etc. The ewes know what is happening the day we separate them from the lambs. Some are very protective getting between us and the lambs. I always write down their tag numbers and consider holding back their ewe lambs for replacement ewes. Good mothering usually means better growth and health for the lambs. We used to move the ewes to the farthest pasture we could find from the lambs but the noise was unbearable. Now we put them right across a wire fence from each other. The lambs can lay right next to their mothers at night and it seems to work a lot better. Of course they can't nurse. Shucks.

Jami in WA

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:39:16 AM  Show Profile
Jami you do the same things as I do when it comes time to separate. Your right the noise is - well, just sometimes too much. I have one little billy "Marvin" he is wanting to breed everyone thru the fence and at night he cried himself horse... He has incredible fiber and will make someone a top guy but right now this little big man is so loud.

Well the weather gueeser are saying we get 90 degress all week with horrible storms for the afternoons and evenings. So who knows I may be spinning by candlelight tonight.

I can not wait to hear about the class. I received her DVD Saturday and have been watching it - different but really nothing new. I must admit I am one who likes colors to make some sense - my sons call some of the color combo's "throw up" and they are in their twenties so it is not just me. I think however the techniques are sound - we have been doing them for a very long time but it is great to see the next generation make it their own. Besides, anytime you can get folks to use fiber "It is a GOOD THING". Enjoy the class and tell us all about it. I even dug thru my stashes the other day to find my vintage sequins - I want to make some glam cocoons....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:54:52 AM  Show Profile
Rae, you asked about sheep tails and all I have ever heard is that they can get maggots back there if they are not docked. I am just for myself trying to figure out what to do and not to do. That is why I am asking. I have raised dogs for years and I do not believe in docking or cutting anything off there. I am just trying to get every ones opinion and make up my mind when it comes to my sheep and goats since I am so new to this. I really don't like the idea of docking tails or disbudding horns and I have seen the stuff when it is done wrong. In the past I have always had the vet do it and have had no problems. But those were nigerians and they don't have the fur that angoras do and they are basically for pets and dairy. I am just trying to get all kinds of info and make a good decision.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  11:33:09 AM  Show Profile
Happy tuesday. Hope all is well with everyone. Finally got the pics downloaded on to photobucket so will post one of graduation.

I always start out the day looking neat and tidy and by the time the photo's come around, I look rumpled!! Guess holding a 5 month old and rasseling with a two year old didn't help. Glad that event is over.

Back to the garden. Have a great day everyone.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  1:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Sheri
What a nice picture!!! My youngest graduated in May from college!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  3:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the picture, Sheri. You're beautiful the way you are, girl. You look all farm-girlish in your cotton lacey dress and hat. I love it. Nice looking young man there too.

Grace, goodness girl, I should have spent the money on a flight to your place and taken a class from you. I too have to have some color order semblance but that seems to be lacking lately with these up and coming designers. Have you seen the fabrics out in the fabric stores? I mean, they are all wildly crazy for these fabrics that look like someone threw up the 60's, 70's and 80's all in one bucket! Sorry, but that's what they look like. Just when I got my house all situated with colors, they go and change the whole shebang. LOL. Hope you're all giggling...I'm joking.

I am still trying to figure out how you spin a sequin into the yarn. The holes are so tiny on those things. I doubt I will be making any too wild of yarns but I would enjoy doing the coils, nubs and nests and whatever other names they have for those things in the yarn. Although I have to say for the class I am using up a whole couple of pounds of dyed locks of lots of different colors. Figured if I'm on a learning curve it's better this way to waste something I forgot I had in the first place! Ha.

It's gotten quieter today. Whew. Hope you billy calms himself soon and the storms too.

I'll be checking in for sure after the weekend. No matter what it will be a fun weekend getaway. Think good thoughts that my truck gets me there and back without a glitch. I might just wash it! LOL.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  4:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Sheri,
I think the picture is wonderful. I too really like your outfit. and yes the young man with you is very handsome. Congrats to him and kuddos to you!!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  8:04:11 PM  Show Profile
You guessed it another storm has passed but they are saying later tonight it might fire up again. I think I liked the snow...

I love your picture Sheri and your son is not half bad. Congrat's time goes by so fast.

As for tails - in 12 years I have not docked a sheeps tail and not one fly strike or maggots or problems with any foreign bodies. In fact my butts are the cleanest around - now if that isn't a funny statement but a true one. In fact, I had a whole host of vet's from the college down here years ago to prove that tails have many purposes. Also, I have never, never, never had a prolapse here at the farm but I sure have treated far too many to count of the years from those around me who dock tails. This is another one of those things that is NEVER done on this farm...

Jami, I am giggling - I just know that those 60 and 70's patterns did not look good on us then and I am surely not going to wear them now. Who wants a daisy the size of a watermellon across my chest.

Oh, sorry ladies got to run they have posted a tornadoe alter - got to go to the basement. Bye

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  03:47:11 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Grace. I figure God created things and there is a reason for how they are built so...the thought has really bothered me a lot.
Sure I decide it is time to pull out my machine and start doing a little sewing after too many years and I have to deal with giant daisies!!! I lived through that with lot of bumps and bruises don't need to go back to 60's or 70's!
I can't believe the weather you are getting, just crazy. Hot one here yesterday and muggy!!! Think today is supposed to maybe be the same. Went and mowed part of the lawn and had to come in and change clothes cause I was sticky and wet!! Poor chickens were exactly thrilled either, nor my dogs ;-)
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  09:35:45 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, what a nice picture! You do the farm gals proud...and the son is a handsome guy too. What a proud day for you, congratulations, job well done. Now on to the wedding!
Jami, have fun this week end. I like to take these kind of classes but I always am ready to back out before the date but I go ahead and go and usually am thrilled that I did. I think you are alots like me, you will learn a new way of doing things and then revise it to meet your creative needs and just being around other creative people sparks my imagination and I am off on another adventure. Just relax and have fun! Praying for a safe and enjoyable trip for you. (About the colors and styles...back in the 60s I had my share of mini skirts, bell bottoms, the shoes and boots but I was never crazy about the colors and materials. I did lots of sewing and knitting back then and avoided the big daisy and pasley prints!) Loved my ponchos! I also had daisys as my bridal bouquet. (the sweet natural little daisys) I too don't want to go back to those days. My kids could not believe that CCR was my favorite band...and that I had it playing in the 8 track in my 69 Camaro all the time and they really couldn't believe that I would rather be drag racing than eating. My oh my, how things have changed! I still buy the vechicles with the Z packages...still love speed! Good thing because my hubby drives like he is going to a fire and still wants to beat others off the line at traffic lights in a more sutle way when we get to town, after 39 years....hee hee, we are both crazy!
We got up to 101 with heat index of 112 yesterday and then about 8 pm had thunder storm and went to 70. It is cloudy this morning and has rained some, suppose to get in the 90s later and again tonight giving thunder storms. Leaves and tree branches were all over the yard this morning. The sheep have requested air conditioning! Poor babies. Sheri and Jami, you were talking about having jackets on and being cold and we had over 110 heat index that day!
I finally got the upstairs arranged with sewing machine out so I can sew on some sun dresses and aprons....and of course some new baby things.
Beverley, I never shear any of my lambs, I know some people do but the first wool from the first shearing is the best soft fleece.
Grace, I have always heard that Missouri's weather is crazy but I don't think we hold a candle to Colorado's...hope all is Ok with you!
Studio is clean...I must go and mess it up! Farm gals be safe and happy today!

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  9:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Hope everyone had a good day. I spent the day "bent" weeding in the veggie garden and then picking strawberries. Ten hours bent all told. I can't believe how many weeds this year because of the dratted wind. What a difference a couple of days makes - it was 85 today compared with the low fifties of a couple of days ago. Felt like a heat wave in comparison. The clouds are rolling in now tho and the wind has finally died down because I'm done for the day....! I will be glad when I finally get the outside chores buttoned up so I can get back to my sewing. Hope all is well with you Grace. I took some pictures of my peonies in full bloom and will post them for you when I get a few minutes to download them. Hope you had fun messing up your studio, Sarita. I liked CCR back in the day myself and still listen to it from time to time. Time to put my poor old feet up and zone.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  03:10:30 AM  Show Profile
HA! My kids always were taking my CCR!!! Have to saw though Beatles still have me. Too hot and muggy here to do much. Today supposed to be hot, for MN, and then start back into the 70's. Feel bad for the animals!!! Now early morning nice but mosquito attack if you try go outside ;-(
Grace are things settling down for you yet?
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  07:07:49 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Sarita, I always regret signing up for stuff when it gets close but then I force myself to go and have fun. Now you just watch...I will get there and feel either pretty darned out of my league (amongst real artistic types) or I'll be the artistic one. There is never any happy medium with me. I am not very creative in some venues and you never know which one it is I'm not good at until you see the outcome. This might be one of those!!! Ha ha.

Prep work has been pretty intense for this class. I've had to felt teensy little balls of wool, gather all sorts of odds and ends, dye (the pots are going now) 2 lbs of wool, find some mohair (in my stash, thank goodness), rip strips of fabric, find thread, beads, etc. I had 2 bobbins on my wheel full so had to ply them to clear off those bobbins and spin a bobbin of singles for the class! I feel like I'm hauling half of my studio with me.

Sarita, I remember when I had my studio upstairs in my old little farmhouse. I would sit up there in the hot evenings (heat rises) and sew and sweat. Now isn't that a lovely picture? Not. Finally I put an exhaust window fan in and it helped quite a lot. You probably have A/C. I was a poor farmgirl who relied on the wind around here to keep cool. Now we've moved up in the world, got a room A/C on wheels that I can move around the house but haven't had to even plug it in this year so far.

I'll tell you all about it when I get back and until then, stay cool or warm, whichever weather you're having (do we all live in the same country?) and I'll have a couple of stories to tell I'm sure, all probably boring as heck but hey, something to ponder while you're quietly spinning.

On the sheep front, the lambs are finally learning to bed down up in the shelter in their pasture away from their mothers. A few are hoarse of course.

Duty calls. Thanks for the well wishes girls and you all be good until I get back.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  07:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Missed the storms yesterday and this morning so far. The lots are muddy and the temps are going into the 90s today again.
Jami, we do have AC in this old farmhouse but their is no vent works to the upstairs. I love this old house just the way it is except I would love to have air and heat up there. The winters aren't so bad because we got this nice heater that is quiet and it looks like a table, can even set things on it. I also have window AC, just have not turned it on yet. When you described your old upstairs....that is mine!
Just went out to let the sheep out, the lambs come up and want to get their morning hugs before going out to pasture. They are so cute. I dread weaning the lambs every year.
Sheri, I would not be able to get up this morning if I spent all those hours bent over! Our penonies come on about Memorial Day and have been long gone. My day lilies are blooming now, so pretty. The planters are really pretty now. The green tomatoes are about the size of ping pong balls. I am very uncomfortable in this hot steamy weather but the plants just jump and grow.
Rae, how do you combat the mosquitoes there?
I have to make a trip to Brookfield to take care of some farm business today...dread it but get to go to Senate Bill project building (kinda like a Goodwill) to look for old wool garments to use in my crafting: rug hooking, felting, etc. Better get ready to get going.
Everyone have a good day and hope your sheep's and goats fibers are growing!
Sarita in hot Missouri

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  08:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Grace - which DVD did you get? Is it Sit and Spin with Jacey Boggs or is there another one I don't know about?

I picked up my three lambs this week and except for the fact that the Icelandic about took my teeth out trying to jump from my car it was pretty uneventful. They were all weaned the day I got them, but have been really quiet. They're starting to settle in as a flock and are getting used to us. I'm sooooo happy!! All my fiber animals are finally here!!

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  09:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Sarita
It is a never ending battle with those buggers!!! The heat and muggy stuff really bring them out too! If you are out at night and can have a fire it helps a lot as don't like it as the smoke. Also good ole bug spray! I am sorry but gives me great pleasure to kill those darn things!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  09:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Rae I saw a new kind of repellent advertised by Off last night that is a little gizmo that you hang on your belt that has a little fan that circulates the repellent around you instead of putting it on you. Maybe something like that would be a help. I know we have a lot of the little buggers this year too - a lot more than normal because of all the spring run off from our record snow. For some reason they don't bite me very often but they sure do eat up my future DIL.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  08:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies

Computer was in the shop for some days now but I am back up and running.

Fiddle Chick, Yes I have the Sit and Spin but I also have been reviewing my other Art Yarn VHS tapes. Never dull to watch again. I finally got the Kid Mohair dye lockets to dry (came from another breeder and I am very dissapointed with it)that I have been waiting on for four days. I will NEVER purchase from this breeder again. The fleece was covered in horrible prickly thistles pods. When I picked up the fleece out of the box I screamed as my hands where just stuck all over with these nasty things. When I contact the breeder she said ALL Mohair will have VM in it. Now I did not when I purchased the fleece said who or what I am - I like to see how honest folks are - well, she is anything but! Once I explained who and what I am she went silent on the phone - she was not willing to refund and take back the fleece nor was she even willing to talk about how to do better in the future. So I will be spending tons of hours to get these things out and I can not in good intention sell it as is so I will de nasty it and then spin it into some wonderful art yarn.

Well, next week the last of the new billy kids will get weaned and then hair cuts. Not ONE thistle in my fleeces...

Hope all is going well with the gang - weather still has been harsh but they weather guesser as saying we might have no rain by Monday or Tuesday - I keep hoping someday I will get to the painting outside but I must admit I enjoy have the weather as a reason for it not being done.

Have a great weekend and back to the nasties I go.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  12:37:38 PM  Show Profile
FiddleChick, how are the new woolies? Aren't they fun?
It is 97 degrees but looking for a cool off tonight or tomorrow. The sheep are miserable and the watermelon plants love this heat.
I am in for the day and spinning John's fleece. He is a Corriedale crossed with Shetland wether. He was born with brown, gray, black patches and just about December his fleece under neath went to pure white. It is pretty fine and spinning into a lovely varigated gray. What a way to spend the day when it gets too hot to work outside.
Grace, I purchased for some wool from a lady that had Columbian sheep and she didn't tell me that her sheep had been sick during the winter...I ended up tossing 10 fleeces. They were a mess and they broke and I wanted to cry. I told her about it and she told me all sheep get sick. She had the nerve to call and ask me if I wanted to buy more of her wool....no thank you! I will say that my sheep do not wear coats and they are out to pasture and do get some vm but I try to get it really clean before washing it. I still have some vm but the drum carder takes care of a lots of it. But how in the world do you get stickers out?
My new son-in-law had a birthday yesterday and he will be here Monday for the week and he loves carrot cake...I have not made a carrot cake before so I want to find a very good recipe for Carrot Cake for his birthday cake....anyone have a great recipe?
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  5:40:05 PM  Show Profile
Grace: Can you tell us the names of the other art yarn videos? I'd love to get more. Art yarn is what I want to specialize in.

Sarita: The woolies are doing really well! Two are from one flock (they are varying degrees of Bluefaced Leicester and Cormo) and 1 is an Icelandic. The Icelandic we found out had/has a tapeworm. The breeder has been more than helpful in figuring out what it was and how to deal with it. I was fortunate in that my local (dog/cat)vet who used to be my horse/cow vet was able to give me a dose of wormer for her and my daughter and I were able to worm her without any trouble. They've had to be inside since we got them earlier this week because we haven't got the fence set up yet (hubby is going to finish it tomorrow). Fortunately this isn't as bad as it sounds because they're in a very roomy box stall and we bring them grass (if my husband's grandfather catches me picking grass for the sheep I'll never hear the end of it!! LOL!!) What's also great (and I didn't realize) is that because it's a converted cow barn there's a lot of cement and it's nice and cool in there. It got so hot here this week I was almost wishing I was a sheepy. They would have been miserable outside anyway. And this is giving them a good opportunity to bond as a flock.

On the spinning side, a friend found me an Ashford Traditional wheel in a free pile (!!!) and since I already have a wheel we fixed it up for DD (who is 12) and she's started spinning. And she's been making art batts to sell at the Sheep and Wool in October and they look really good. She seems to have a knack for doing fiber art. I learn a lot from her.

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  7:25:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh My a spinning wheel in the free pile. oh my....
I have a question. My little lambie pie has some scabs in her ears and a few around her eyes. What could this be caused by? I put some vet rx in her ears just in case it was ear mites but would they come down and bite around the eyes too? Anybody got an idea? Doesn't seem to be bothering her. I don't see her shaking her head or anything but I don't like it. Flies ,? misquitos? Since I am new to lambies I don't have any ideas...any help would be appreciated!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  7:45:04 PM  Show Profile
Sarita I e-mailed you the recipe. Grace I'm sorry to hear you got stuck with a fleece that messy. There are all kinds of not so honest folks out there but if any one can save it it would be you. How cool - a freebie spinning wheel. I was lucky to be gifted with mine from a friend who was downsizing after her kids moved out. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  08:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies

The two VHS I reviewed again are "Spinning and Plying Textured Yarns" by Patsy Zawistoski and "Spinning Exotic Fibers and Novelty Yarns" with Judith MacKenzie. I have taken their classes so long ago that I wanted to revists. I have been spinning those art yarns for years and taught them for many years also but it is always great to revisit. The "Sit and Spin" is nothing new - just a way to get the younger spinners involved.

As for the fleece - you would not believe this lady also then passed my name out to other small breeders in her area and someone looking to purchase fleeces. The nerve - I was trying to play "Nice" but now I think it has gone past that - The nerve!
Anyway, last night I took some of my handspun,handdyed silk yarn and started spinning a slub core spun with that horrible mohair and I must admit it is turning out great. I have pulled out all the prickly pods and decided to mail them back to her with an explaination that this is not what is found in Mohair and even send with it a clip from my 21 year old Mohair girl which is not blanketed, runs in the pastures (O.K. slow walks) and even gets to visit in the forest - where you will not find one bit of VM in it. I do not mind a little hay, straw or leaves but really these pods cut up your hands and it must be hell for the animals to try and lay on with them in their fleece.

Bev - as for the scapes I would consider some type of insect bit. How is the fly issue in your barn and pasture. There are also some mites that will do this too. Check the sweet one all over to see if you see any creepy crawlies. Once id is made then I can suggest treatment.

Fiddle chick how exciting about the new one's coming home. There is nothing like this new adventure to keep your heart pounding and the smiles always on your face. You will soon wonder how in the world your life worked with them. This morning I opened the shop door to air out things, went up stairs to start my breakfast and heard some noise in the shop. I went downstairs and there in the shop was my "Llama Boy" and my 17 year old Angora boy "Casper" making themselves comfortable on the rug as you enter my shop. They looked up at me as to say "What, I thought I would just join you for breakfast". So I brought my Haselnut Pancakes with Dandelion Syrup and cup of coffee down to the shop and sat with them while enjoying my food. They gazed at me the whole time as we shared stories and the gentle morning breeze. How many folks start their morning this way??

Have a great Sunday and take time to enjoy your way of life. I know today will be filled with "Michael Jackson" songs and tons of great four legged fiber family members - Heck I am even going to enjoy that crappy fleece as I turn it into something wonderful.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page