Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Well, Rae, I just got rid of some ewes that did that (and subsequently taught their lambs to do it also) last year and it's so nice to not have Annie out stuck in the fence. I replaced her scrapie tag twice and she lost her flock tag in the first year. She was a "little orphan annie" and had a sweet place in my heart but her tom-foolery got the best of me one day when I had a customer here looking at ewes and I sold her cheap!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  8:25:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies

Sorry for taking so long but you know life gets way out of control. No snow today - but we are scheduled for snow/rain on Thursday night thru Friday. I tried to run and get some supplies (Not like I am not stocked to the ceiling) but I was trying to bring in supplies for the animals just in case. While trying to get out of the truck the door handle snapped off again, so now I am crawling thru the passenger side - fun and my hip locked - let out a scream and the guy at the feed store came a running... I laughed, he did not think it was funny until I showed him the door handle. He asked if I knew my own strength - I told him this is the third handle in two years - I guess I need to stop eating my wheatees.... Not much to report - I took pictures this afternoon and will be posting on my blog tomorrow. Some realy cuties to show..

Sorry to hear that the males are out numbering your girls. I think it is the world - everyone that has reported in from around the country has had more boys then girls - interesting! Some say that this is a sign of food issues, others say that it is a sign of our changing climates - I just say fiber is fiber and wait till you see the wonderful fiber my boys are making.
Night for now back soon.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:17:30 AM  Show Profile
Well weather is finally warming up and hopefully snow is done. Frost is pretty much out so can start to get fencing up. Our goal is to have sheep house and chicken house and fence done no later than end of June. Will be nice to get the sheep over finally!
Grace are things getting better weather wise??
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:36:06 AM  Show Profile
Happy Friday All!!

I wish I could say that the weather is better but this morning the fog is so thick that you felt like you where in a B rated Horror Movie - Oh I LOVE B rated Horror Movies! Think I am going to have to watch "The Fog" today.

We are to have cold rain and clouds all weekend - I gues I should be happy it is not snow. I was going to work on repairing fences but I am not touching metal if we are having lightening - you know my luck.

So what is on everyone's list for this weekend?? I had thought of taking me to a movie but we had our first confirmed person with swin flu in the town where our movie theather is - besides I really do not like going into town anyway. Have you change your habits with this virus?? Since I only go into town once a month it is really not changing my routine - how about you?

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  08:01:28 AM  Show Profile
I work in a school so they are washing computer keyboards daily as well as other things. We haven't changed things so far as nothing right where we live.
We hope to continue on with getting things set up on the farm. So nice to have some livestock but really want to get going on the rest so have to get with it on the fencing and buldings.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  09:01:49 AM  Show Profile
Rae, look for a letter. I put lots of pictures in it! That's hard work putting up fence, isn't it?

Soemone said yesterday the flu is in Alabama. It's mostly like college age kids. And the kids from Ala. were just in Mexaco for spring break, too. I worry more about the school kids now. I'm washing my hands more. Try to stay away from people. That's hard to do.

Grace, hope the snow passes over you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I am putting up some new fences this Spring too. I don't mind driving steel post but I hate digging fence post holes to set the corner post and I don't have the strength to push that big roll of sheep fencing anymore...dear hubby gets called into duty again.
I am down one more ewe to lamb, had another ram lamb and had to help the ewe get him here. This was her first lamb and she just had a big lamb for her first. Hope the last ones go better.
The county that adjoins the county I live in and work in has a major hog operation with many hog confinements and a very large processing plant. We also have many people that have came up from Mexico to work on the hog farms and factory and they travel back and forth to Mexico so officials are planning for the worse but I really don't think it will be as bad as they think it will be. (Wishful thinking maybe). In fact I wonder if it has already hit some of our students. They had sore throats, bad headaches, high temps, upper respiratory infections and then appear to get over it and they would start running temps again in a week or so with no reason. I had 5 or 6 diagnosised with pneumonia and a few even hospitalized. The state of Missouri only had about 750 test kits so there is a very strict criteria for testing. Like had to have been in Mexico recently, or been around someone who has been sick with the swine flu. So the person who shops in Walmart locally on a Saturday morning can get sick but not be tested for it even if they were standing unknowingly by someone that is sick with the flu and in Walmart buying medications. Our county got one test kit and the adjoining county got 6. The doctor has to call the state to get permission to run the test. Do you hear the frustration in this note?
The US has over 30,000 people a year die from the regular flu. I just pray that it does not mutate and that people will use common sense and stay away from crowds or sick persons and stay home if they are sick. My job increases my risk factors but in my off hours...my motto is...There is no place like home.
Sarita in Mo.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:49:35 AM  Show Profile
I am with you Sarita, when I am off home I go!!!! One nice thing also about growing your own food, meat and veg when these things happen you have food and know it is good.
We have the steel posts as well and my husband is planning on getting these corner metal things that you fill with rocks. Lots of people have them up here and work really well.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile
This is Bloomsday weekend in Spokane so I stay away - far away as possible, There will be 40,000 people running on Sunday inc. my son & his fiancee. I think I will be picking VM from my fleeces if the weather cooperates. I also need to put the lining in the wedding dress I've been working on. I don't know how they will ever even truly know who has this flu or who doesn't. They say there is a "confirmed" case in Spokane and then finish the sentence with the results of the test won't be in from the CDC for a week. In the meantime everyone is scared and they don't even know if he has it for sure. All the grandkids have been sick with some kind of creeping crud with coughing and fever and the doctor didn't even test for any kind of flu. Personally - I am a hermit, go to town once a month and sometimes that even feels like too often. Hope everyone dodges this bullet.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  8:10:17 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like me, Sheri. I don't go to town much and when I do it seems like there are 2 or 3 new places built. It's like they just pop up all over the place and I think I'm in the wrong town. I would so much rather just stay home. It's so peaceful here and hardly any traffic. Just tractors or farm trucks. I love it. I am not a real crowd person. I do not like to go where there are a bunch of people. Not my thing at all. A few is fine. But I think I'd rather just be with my critters.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  05:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Wow! No wonder I love this website. I am a stay at home person as well, small small crowds are ok but I don't like busy. I am more and more content here as we get things going. Just feels good at least having the chickens here, next stop sheep and cattle. Then who knows!!! Lots of work ahead of us next 2 months building and fencing.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  08:34:16 AM  Show Profile
I sure don't envy you the fencing. That is definately not my cup of tea but have done my fair share of it. We put in special six foot woven wire fencing with wooden fence posts as we had neighbors that don't watch their kids and didn't want the liability of one of my friendly cows stepping on one of them. It was very hard work and very spendy. Now that I don't have cows anymore I know my sheep definately won't get out! Here's to the quiet life - or as quiet as my new neighbors will allow...

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  1:46:53 PM  Show Profile
Sheri
Sorry about the kids. I really don't like that when parents don't watch their kids or teach them responsibilty. Seems so many don't have any boundaries any more!!
I am not looking forward to the fencing part workwise anyway but will be happy to have the fence for animals.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  4:25:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies - guess what??? I finally got the goat babies pictures up on my blogspot.. If you have the time and would like to see what keeps me hopping to the barn they are all there.. Let me know what you think.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  5:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Grace what beautiful sweeties. I can see that you truly have your hands full. Hopefully your weather will finally subside and true spring will finally come. Here it's still unseasonably cool and windy/rainy. I would like to start working on cleaning my fleeces but so far no go. I have to content myself with working in my sewing room instead.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  6:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Grace, your babies are beautiful! They look so sweet and innocent. About how much wool comes off each goat their first shearing?

Sarita

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  7:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Sheri I am with you - the weather is still cold and now raining - but at least it is not snow...
Hope you made great progress on the sewing room.

Sarita it really depends the Angora kids anywhere between 9 to 12 pounds for their first shearing and that really depends on when I shear. The Cashmere's are around 4 to 6 pounds and the Cashgora's are 5 to 8 pounds. That are ball park because it really depends on the weather and when I shear. When you consider the Cashgora's get around $19.00 per half ounce that is not bad. Now when they are full grown my Angora's can really load on the pounds of fleece. Hope that helps..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  06:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I was just curious, glad you can get good money for your goat's coats. (I think it is worth every penny when I have knitted or woven a scarf out of their silky coat.) And those sweet babies are so cute...
Still waiting on the last 2 girls to lamb, the other lambs are growing!
We built fence Saturday, mowed yard, trimmed, planted tomatoes, I am almost glad to be back to work today. But also glad that the weather cooperated to let us get somethings done. My body is telling me that I am no longer 56.
Hope everyone had a nice week end.
Sarita
Sarita in MO.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  06:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Grace, those kids are adorable! I wish I had a few. But I don't know with all the dairy goats how that would work. And it's so muddy here. How do you keep the white ones clean? Mine would all be brown mud color really quick.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  07:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Cute goaties, Grace. Thanks for sharing.

Sarita, I feel for you being a school nurse and having no testing kits available...kinda seems bass-ackwards to me. That word reminds me of my dad for some reason. LOL.

Glad you're about done lambing though! It's about time, huh?

I am with you girls, less trips to town the better but I have to go for work but it's not like driving into Spokane or anything. Ellensburg is fairly tame especially when the students are gone. It's a college town. I love summer and spring break and winter break just for those reasons! Not bad kids or anything....just more traffic.

Big spin-in next weekend called Fiber with a Twist in Tri-Cities, if any WA girls are reading this. It's got a website so do a Google on it, should bring it up with information for you.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  08:11:16 AM  Show Profile
At least the sun is shining today and so far no blasted cold wind. The wind has been howling here and very chilly (C-O-L-D if you ask me). I am putting the link up for the spin in http://fiberwithatwist.org/ if anyone is interested. Too far a drive for me.

How do you keep your baby's so clean, Grace? Around here this time of year they would be pretty dirty.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  09:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Jami, did your ewe get better? I sure hope so. I bet you are lost not being out watching the ewes that are birthing!
Sheri, hope the sun is shining on you. All this time, I thought you ladies in Washington had milder weather than we did in Missouri. Where did I get that idea? I think from all the fruit trees you have there.
I cut the wool from White Knight yesterday afternoon. He had alots of wool. I can't hardly wait to get it washed and start spinning. His wool was very fine and I think it will make a baby sweater....by the way, we are getting excited. Our daughter that has a 9 year little girl has just found out that she is expecting again. She has already been put on medications so we are concerned for her health and the baby's. Our other daughter is getting married May 16th so the possibilities of more children..she says her clock is ticking..We only have 2 grandchildren right now and thought that was it for us. I have spoke for 2 working guard dogs that should be ready to protect the flock next year, I will feel better when we take off to see our families.

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  09:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, the ewe is certainly acting better and back on feed but her bag is toast...purple discoloration (blood) all bottom of back and moving up, no temp, on Penicillin so it's not gangrene but it looks awful. Milking pure blood out of one side and it smells funny. Got more meds and treating her, etc. I got one of the lambs to start bottle-feeding but the others think I am torturing them even though one took to it for a couple of days. They are certainly old enough to wean thank goodness and she won't let them nurse. Oh yeah, I miss lambing...NOT.

We go out on pasture full-time tomorrow so I'm throwing her out with the others. Let her live happy as long as she's on the place. If she goes downhill, we'll put her down and otherwise she goes to the cull market with the others after weaning. I've got 6 to cull this year.

I throw out my ram fleeces, they stink so much. Happy you can do something with yours.

Congrats on the grandchild and let's hope your daughter has a good pregnancy--thinking good thoughts!

The weather has been erratic Sarita plus WA is a very diverse state topographically. Lots of terrain--desert dryland plains, mountainous regions, valleys, rain forest, coastline each with its own weather pattern. For example, we get 6" of precip a year here where I live...compare that to Seattle which is 110 miles away from me. When it rains in Seattle, we get wind here in our valley so that tells you how much wind we get!

Better get busy...come on that last ewe, huh?

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  9:59:17 PM  Show Profile
To answer about the white issue - we have mud and muck too but if fleeces are healthly then just running the hands thru will knock most of the diry off and then when washed they are right back to their natural color. One great thing is mud acts as a coat and really works in some cases to our favor. I loved when my alpacas would get mud incrusted because right before shearing I would knock the mud off and Perfect Fleece....

Now with my guy "Ret" who's lockets he trips over then we might lose some to weather and wear but when a staple length is over 12 inchest I can stand to lose a l/2 inch or so.

I am so sorry to hear about Jami to hear about your ewe - I think I missed a posting. I pray she gets better. I am sorry to hear that lambing season was so stressful - I have had those years to where it felt like everything was going wrong no matter what you do. Soon when all the little one's are running and jumping in the pastures you will forget the bad days.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  11:14:20 PM  Show Profile
Sarita congrats on the upcoming new addition to your family. Hope your daughter has an easy go of it.

Guess what - it's raining and winding again. The windchimes are going for all they are worth. I am so tired of this cold wind I could scream. We get our fair share of wind but nothing like what Jami gets. Normally we would be a lot warmer with a lot more sun by this time. I hope we aren't going to have another one of those summers that never happens. I've been here 30 yrs. and it's happened three times. I have to admit that it was the best spinach crop I've ever had normally it bolts before you get very much. Guess there is a silver lining to everything! Me - I'm ready for some warmth and sunshine and to be able to shut the pellet stove off for the season.

Question - Is it more difficult to spin alpaca? I have never tried it. I've only been spinning for about a year. What about silk and bamboo? Just curious.
Jami I e-mailed you I hope you got it.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page