Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  1:03:40 PM  Show Profile
Sarita - yes, we are getting rain at least I am. Buckets of it this morning but it's finally easing up a bit now. Just more moisture to add to the mud from the melt off. I am always glad when mud season is over. Until that happens it's impossible to keep the floors clean so other than sweeping - I don't even try. Even the sheep hate the rain and hang out either in the barn or huddled under the trees. Glad you came through the storms okay but sorry to hear of the damage to the barn. Hopefully you will be feeling better by the time the lambing starts. When do you shear? Still too cold to shear here - the poor things would freeze! Hope all is well with everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  3:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I hope you are feeling better soon.

I think we have had enough rain for the summer but then the weather people say we still need it. When I am slipping and sliding in mud I have to disagree. But I suppose they are right. It sure is helping the garden get started though. Beets, onions, kale and spinach all coming up!

One of my 3 Katahdin ewes just had a single ewe lamb at 4 this afternoon! I had to help pull her out she was having such a hard time and it had been awhile since her water broke. I was getting a little worried. Why are sheep so silly? They were all out in the other pasture and I saw them all standing around Leelah and then saw all the stuff hanging out. They were butting her and pushing on her. So I got them all back over to the barn and got Leelah in the stall. I have pallets up in there so she can see out and they could see in. But she kept pushing for a long time. Finally got some good pushes and I grabbed legs and out she came. Big lamb. She's the same size as the 5 day old ram lamb. And so cute. All different color spots. This is Earl's lamb. he is Suffolk-Finn-Hampshire and Leelah is Katahdin-Dorper. What a mutt she is. She looks wooly though. Should I dock her tail? I already did the ram lamb because he's more Finn.

I have 2 more Katahdin ewes to lamb any day. This is so exciting and fun! My little flock is growing fast.

Sheri, my goats hate the rain but the sheep don't mind it much. It sure is bad on their feet though. It's starting to dry off some out there.I hope you get dry soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  3:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Sarita sending healing thoughts for your kidneys - I know of this very well. I know what you are feeling about viewing the barn - it feels like you are watching a old friend... I am sure soon it will be up and running but be kind to yourself while it is being done. I also saw that you wanted those beads - just send a email with your zip code and that way I can figure the shipping costs... I am thrilled they are going to you.

My grandson and DIL was here at the farm Saturday and when I opened the car door he said "Mushy Driveway" "Grandma Grace has Mushy Driveway". He repeated that for about 10 minutes - I kept saying "Yes, Driveway Mushy" I explained to him when you have snow standing waist high and it melts you get mushy driveway. Were luck there is not a Swamp Creature living in it.. As the saying goes if it is not one thing it is another. Stay above water everyone.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  11:17:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls! Sheri found me on facebook, and I wanted you all to know I didn't drop off the planet, just been crazy busy. My fiber business has picked up, so I spend lots of time dyeing wool and photographing and listing on etsy - my least favorite thing to do. And we have added a few more critters to the farm, so my computer time is nearly all taken up.

Grace - that purple llama/silk roving you had in your shop almost came to live with me. That was gorgeous! Somebody bought it and saved me from myself!

We have 5 baby Boer cross goats running around in the pasture now, unfortunately, we lost three during birthing. We also adopted 5 bottle babies, 4 girls and a boy, that are Alpine goats. We will raise them up to be dairy goats. One of the little girls needs extra attention because she is a little sickly, so she is getting spoiled quickly. Our Jersey heifers also gave birth a month earlier than we expected, so we are quickly learning to milk cows. And they are learning to be milked. One has taken to it just fine, the other, not so well. She will learn with patience from us. Our chickens are giving us between 15-20 eggs a night, and we have 20 more chicks in the brooder (what were we thinking?)

The sheep are doing great. My favorite ewe is due this weekend, she is HUGE. I think (hope)she is having twins. We only bred 6 of the ewes, most of our lambs from last year are still with us, and the pasture can't hold much more. The big Wensleydale ewe that we adopted that was sooooo untrusting, now stops and expects mama to pick hay out of her wool each morning before she goes out to the daytime pasture, and most mornings won't go on out the gate until she gets her kiss on the nose. We also acquired two Icelandic/Shetland crosses and another super curly single coated Shetland ewe. She has the prettiest Shetland flece I have ever seen. I can't wait until she is sheared.

I will try and keep up a little better. I do read most of your posts, just can't find time to post myself.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
www.diamondbsheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  04:47:40 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that you are OK Lori. Sounds like you are very busy. Happy that your fiber business is going good.
Michelle, are you getting your Spring chores done early this year? If it stays this warm, we may need to mow the grass soon!
Most of you will be done lambing before I even start this year. Danny started to work on the barn yesterday. We are still waiting on the roofing guys to get here and put a new roof on the house (from the storm last year). We loose more and more shingles and I hate to think if we get a big rain storm of the leaks upstairs and the damage that will happen.
We had a new baby calf yesterday, it was 80 degrees...didn't have to worry about him freezing!
No school today but will be very busy. We will go for lab test for me in Chillicothe (50 miles one way) early this morning and then drive 150 plus miles to Columbia for Danny's appointment. We will put over 300 miles in travel today...I am worn out just thinking about it.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  05:10:49 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I hope you are feeling better! Maybe consider steel roof for your house. Shingles don't last like they used to. I have 4 calves now. Thankfully they have waited until the nicer weather. They were all laying flat out enjoying the sunshine yesterday. We are in mud season here. So not alot going on. Connie is almost dry, so that will give me a couple months vacation from milking. But then I have to buy dairy at the store, yuck. Sheri and Grace hope you guys dry up some too. Kris your sure busy with babies. Lori glad your business is taking off.
I am almost done carding wool from last year. Time again to be shearing my 2 sheep. Don't know why I got so behind on getting the wool done last year. Must of just been lazy! :)
take care all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  09:13:34 AM  Show Profile
Ok, we are done with lambs right now. I still have 1 ewe who may or may not be pregnant. If she is she will not be due for a few more months. So we have 3 ram lambs and 1 cute little ewe lamb. I will keep her. I am naming them all A names this year. So the ewe lamb is Adele. She never answers her momma. Just totally ignores her. And Leelah is frantic looking for her all the time. Silly lamb. The 1st ram lamb, which is mostly Finn and I hope to trade him for another Finn ram, is Abraham. He is a very social and independant little boy. He is all over the place and into everyone's business. Darla never seems to worry about him. The 2nd ram lamb is Gracie's. I had to call for help on him and pull him out. Took all I had. His name is Axle. He looks just like his Momma. A reddish solid color. Sticks really close to her too. Then today Fiona had her little ram lamb. A cutie. All dark brown and black legs. Why are these little rams so stinkin' cute? I am going to go out in a few minutes and check on them. I don't know if she was done yet. Probably just a single. I banded Abraham and Adele's tails since they will be around awhile. I will leave the other 2 rams alone as they will eventually be for meat. This will be hard for sure when that time comes. But that is why they are here and I know that.

I have 1 doe that will kid in a few days. Then that's all. I am just loving the little ones. I love looking outside and seeing babies hopping around and bugging the big girls. It's so cute. Just little munchkins all over. Love springtime! It's SO green out there, all over. I am so glad there is so much for them all to eat right now.

Michele, muddy here again too. We had a hail storm yesterday with rain. So we are back to mud.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  6:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Kris it will be nice to be done lambing. Hopefully you had all day time babies. So far that is what I have had with calves. I hope it continues. 4 on the ground, and 5 more coming for sure. I am tired of the mud though. Rain coming in tomorrow for the next 4 days as well. Your babies sound so cute, enjoy!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  1:54:37 PM  Show Profile
What type of goats does everyone have?
I have Nubians and LaManchas.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page