Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  10:52:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I hope your housing works out Monica and you get to move where your heart wants you to go. Hope things are getting better for you Brenda. I am putting along getting things ready for snow. We have had a cold snap - down in the teens at night. Tomatoes and squash sucumbed even in the greenhouse which is unheated. I got some leaves raked in front of the house only to have a storm roll through and blow them all back...grrr. I have also been doing fall housecleaning in anticipation of the cold, snowy weather. Hope everyone got their hay in and are ready for winter.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  08:07:57 AM  Show Profile
I want everyone to know that I am reading your blogs and enjoy the comments left on my blog but for some reason, I can not leave comments...just know that I am reading them and enjoy the comings and goings in each of your lives.
Happy Belated Birthday, Sheri!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The Muppet, Miss Piggy advised: "Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift."

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  08:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I am doing well. I appreciate all of your support and well-wishes.
Things are going along fairly smoothly so far. I will probably be moving from here to a new location over the Thanksgiving holidays. God has blessed me with so many great freinds, old and new, and I have several invites for places to stay, indefinately. I am planning to go back to school and work on a degree in natural animal medicine. So, the big thing for me to decide is where the best location is to get started on that from.
Hope everyone is doing well. Monica, I hope you do get to Ohio. Sarita, I have the same problem with the blogs. I wonder what is going on with that. I haven't posted a new blog for quite some time, I suppose the reasons are fairly obvious! But, I still read other people's blogs...just can't comment. Weird.
Have a great month of blessings. I am so thankful for so many blessings right now. God Bless you all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  07:14:04 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies - sorry I have been so quite but life has thrown me more then my share of hardtimes and have been struggling to say the least. I also lost my sweet Bella due to bloat after a horrid series of events that hit the farm on Halloween. I am ready to throw in the towel and have been trying to find something positive to hold on to. I am also battling to keep the two bottle kids well because of the same event and this has put me back on two hour watches in the barn all that during a blizzard and now early thigh high snow.

Brenda I am not sure where would be the best place to get your education but would be very interested to hear of your progress. Life right now is throwing everyone I know such hardships that I am wondering what is the reason for this... I am strugglling to find my blessings and are having to focus on such simple things as breathing and standing.

Monica you have been on my mind and heart so much and I will send a private email hoping that all is well.

Sarita and Brenda I had that problem with blogs for a bit and how I was able to fix it was when I told google that the could not remember my login in access and then remember each time to sign out of my blog that way the computer almost like rebooted when I would log on again to my blog - that finally let me leave messages on other blogs. I know what a pain but I think it was someone here who told me this and it worked...

I hope all will have brighter days very soon and I want to say how much I count you all in my blessings even when you do not hear from me. Well, it is time to go out in the bitter cold and give the bottle kids their care and hope that their runs will end soon. Please keep them in your prayers if you will - I would hate to loss them they are so dear and so pure - my heart could not handle it...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  1:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Grace I'm sorry to hear of your hardships,I hope things start to get better soon,I'm sure your dear little babies will pull through,I'll have them and you in my prayers.
Times are hard but it all comes out in the wash and things will get better soon,there's always something that comes out of hard times that makes it all worth it.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  4:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope and pray you will be on a brighter road soon. I don't know why life has to be so difficult sometimes. I guess all we can do is just keep on keeping on when it gets like this.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  11:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Grace, it is so heart breaking to lose a loved pet, especially when you nuture them and pull them through so much. Did the winds hit your place?

Brenda, will you be moving soon? I know it was very cold for you last year.

Sheri, I can not even leave a comment on my own blog...@#$%#@

I know everyone is busy getting ready for winter. I got a new Cheviot ram lamb to use in my breeding program. He will only breed the smaller girls for easier birthing purposes. Sammy is a comical character. I put pictures of him on my blog.

I sold 60 plus sheep, but I still have too many. It is just so hard and someday I want to stay home and take care of sheep and cattle and wool on a full time bases.

Keep on keeping on everyone.

The Muppet, Miss Piggy advised: "Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift."

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  11:39:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sarita - I have been reading your blog. Did my comments come through? I found that if I signed out of google and then signed back in again I was able to leave comments again. Your new fur baby is such a beautiful boy. I am cleaning up again today after wind yesterday. I try to keep as much debris cleaned up as possible before the snow flies. We are in for it late tonight - the weather gamblers are predicting up to 5" with wind.....I am not ready for the cold again. Seems like our summer was so short and late this year that we barely got any.

Hope all is well with everyone. Have you found a buyer yet, Brenda? It sure has been quiet over here. Everyone must be super busy. Back to the salt mines.....

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  10:11:30 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I can read your comment but I can't leave comments on my own blog either...????

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  05:33:06 AM  Show Profile
HI everyone. Hope all is going well. Finished up cutting wood yesterday. It is a good feeling to be done! Got to go to work today! Been doing a little spinning, and knitting. Did a couple presents up. Sheep are doing well.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  5:33:38 PM  Show Profile
Michele, we made a flying trip to Wisconsin Rapids about 6 weeks ago and the drive was beautiful, leaves were changing colors. We went up through the Dells and that was pretty color too. What part of Wisc do you live in? Everyone was so nice.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  04:46:11 AM  Show Profile
North west Wisconsin. Between Eau Claire and Hayward. Yesterday we got snow. Started out as kind of a sleet, and then turned to all snow. Our ground is now covered. 19 when I got up this am.
Glad you enjoyed your trip Sarita.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  3:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  04:21:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sarita, I just enjoyed a visit with you, looking at your blog! Nice pictures.
this is a picture of a hat I made. I had dyed the light brown color from walnuts. I was happy how it turned out. I just made one for myself too. They will be nice and warm.
this is a bad picture of a sheep ornament I have been making. I used uncarded fleece for the body. They have turned out really cute. I also tied a bow around their necks and added a ribbon in their backs to hang them by. My oldest grandson just loves to come and see the baa's. So this will be an ornament for him.
Grace I hope your son is doing well.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  07:05:28 AM  Show Profile
I love that hat, Michele. I am taking a class this week on how to make a hat. I am so excited! And I want to learn all the technics on how to dye using natural things. I have a lot to learn but I will. Sure wish we all lived closer. I did run into a lady at the feed store who has alpacas. She had some of her homemade things at the store to sell. She had some really cute ornaments that were felted that her daughter made.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  05:09:41 AM  Show Profile
There is alot we can learn from each other! I also look to the web alot for how too's.
It is great that you are finding people in your own area, with the same interests.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  07:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone! I hope everyone had a great holiday. Your hat and ornament look great, Michele. I think it's fantastic that you are taking classes, Kirsten. I have been knitting socks out of some handspun - the one I had posted awhile back on my blog. Other than that it's just been doing weather related things. Now that Thanksgiving is over I am shifting gears and getting ready for the next one.
At least this week we are supposed to be in a dry weather cycle - I'll take it with much gratitude. Your hats are wonderful, Sarita. You have been a busy lady.

How are things in your neck of the woods, Monica? Did you get moved yet, Brenda? It's been so quiet over here. I hope all is well with everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  06:39:43 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies

Sorry I have not written in a while but it sounds like everyone is busy and trying to keep ahead of the holiday and weather curve. I wanted to thank everyone for their kinds words and prayers for Mick. He is making great strides each day and we are still awaiting more blood panels but so far they can not find a reason for the stroke. I personally do not need a cause but rather give thanks that he is 100%.

I am quickly eating my breakfast because we had two storms back to back and another expected to hit around 2pm. The temps are below zero and excepted to get colder so I have much work ahead outside to get the animals ready for another round.

Exciting to read about all the busy hands with their projects - love the pictures of the hats and can not wait to see your socks Sheri. I swear the holidays come faster and faster each year and I have not even started with mine - my gift was my Nick being Perfect.

I wish everyone a great week and hope that Mother Nature is kinder to us. Stay warm and check in when you can - you all have not left my heart and thoughts.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  04:27:18 AM  Show Profile
morning ladies, we now have maybe 7 inches on the ground, and colder air coming in. Winter is here! I had all my outside stuff wrapped up, so was ready. It is a good feeling to have work caught up.
The bands that I had put on Jacks horns did not work, to dehorn him. He has both of them broke off now. I had just tried the ones I had here to castrate with. I don't know what I will do with him now. Grace glad to hear your son is on the mend. Stay warm with the cold and storms coming your way. Sheri how are the socks coming along? Good luck with your weather also.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  07:42:48 AM  Show Profile
Christmas is almost upon us...are you ready? I am sure dragging my feet this year. I had a guy that has moved into the area and he is interested in my flock. I plan to keep about 10 ewes and of course my boys. John and Teddy will never leave me...they are my sock fiber source.
Part of me does not want to part with any of the girls but the other part of me...says I am tired and need to slow down and if they are going to a good home...it will be easier to say goodbye.
Michelle, I think winter is here and then we get into the 40s and 50s. Not hardly any snow and thankfully, no ice.
Sheri I know you will get in the mood and the Christmas candy and baking goods will be made.
Brenda, hope you will let us know how you are doing.
Grace, hope your life as settled down and you can get rested up before birthing time again.
Lori, how is the fiber business going? When will you start lambing?

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  08:11:22 AM  Show Profile
Micelle, I was just looking back and saw the picture of your hat...looks great and so warm. I really like the colors. What is on your agenda next?

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  11:01:35 AM  Show Profile
Sarita - I only bred 6 of the ewes this year, and all but one were bred to my BL ram, Smokey. Both BL girls, my origina 3 ewes that are BL/Shetland cross, then a little Merino/Cotswold cross ewe to a Gotland ram. We just didn't sell much in the way of lambs, so we couldn't stand to breed everything again and increase the herd by that much more.

We lost our first lamb yesterday. Rusty was a little BL ram that was the last lamb born this year, and never has grown well, and he just seemed way behind the rest. A week ago we found him laying on a slope with his legs higher than his head, and he couldn't get up. We got him up and walked him until he was back at himself. He seemed fine the last few days, but Stan found him dead yesterday. I am thinking possibly pneumonia, maybe? Maybe fluid build up in his lungs from when he was stuck the other day? He didn't have a mark on him, so I doubt it was an attack of any kind.

Anybody have experience with breaking a LGD from chasing and killing chickens? One of ours has always been an escape artist, she can squeeze through the slats on a galvanized gate - that's like 8 inches or so, and she is full grown! We have put wire over all the gates, lowered all the gates, and she is in a net wire fence with the sheep, but I'll come home from work and she will be laying in the driveway. She won't escape while we are watching - smart dog - so we can't find her secret. The other is perfectly content out in the pasture with the sheep. Scarlett has always chased chickens, and has been in trouble numerous times for it. Last week she got out again while I was at work and killed my favorite one. I took it away and whacked her with it a couple of times and told her bad girl, but I am afraid she has tasted blood now and that is it.

We managed to find hay at an acceptable price this year, and hopefully have enough to last through the spring.
~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
www.diamondbsheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  04:20:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, hope all is going well.
Lori, I don't have any ideas about your dog. I am not sure you can ever break them of killing chickens. Hitting the dog with the chicken was the only thing I had ever heard of. Or keeping the chickens penned up securely. I hope you can find an answer.
Sarita your pictures of your decorations are so pretty. I feel the same way about my decorations. Most of mine are homemade so they have lots of memories. I hope you come to a decision about your sheep. Having a few less would make life easier. Loved your hats and shawl too. Our weather has warmed up and the snow is going. While I love the mild weather, I don't enjoy the thawing.
I don't have any major projects going right now. Another hat is about it. I do need to get working on another stocking for my newest grandson. I have a cross stitch kit to do, but having trouble getting myself going on it. Got all the presents wrapped, and cards ready to send out. Need to do some baking yet, sometime.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  11:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Lori, not sure what to do with the naughty girl. Is she a pretty good guard dog otherwise? I had one lamb that just never did well and died in Oct. I spent more money and time trying to get it healthy but nothing seemed to work.
Michele, school will be out in just 5 more days for two weeks, if I sell most of the flock, I will be free to weave and spin, and that will be a change. If the weather was nicer and not worried about a snow or ice storm, I would head to Nebraska or Michigan but I am so far behind at home.
Has anyone heard from Brenda or Monica?

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  11:52:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I have never been able to break a dog from chickens. I even went so far to tie a dead one around it's neck - NOTHING worked I am sorry to report. The only thing was to keep the chickens locked up in their pen but at one time even that didn't keep out my neighbors dog. I hope all is well with everyone. Today I am trying to get some Christmas gifts made. So far no major weather to report thank God but you know that could change...Happy St. Lucia Day everyone. The official kick off of the (Swedish) Christmas season where I came from. Have a great day!

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page