Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  7:58:32 PM  Show Profile
Grace, it was Alethea Kenney...she is the president of ISBONA now. She really knows her stuff.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile
My cow is doing better. She is back to her old self. I do have her in eating first crop hay. The vet thought she ate too much wet grass. A big ole belly ache I guess. But she is back on grain, production coming up, and acting like herself again! I am very glad for that, and it was nothing serious!
I love animal love! Grace I hope you and Sugar enjoy the time together. He has lived a long and great life, and maybe is teaching you a few last lessons!
Have my wethers horns banded. Well one we have to notch a bit deeper, as he keeps rubbing the band out of the notch. It is not bothering him at all. At least that I can tell. But if he is rubbing then maybe it is. He is acting just fine otherwise.
Hope everyones sheep are doing better. The hot weather sure didn't help things.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  2:27:27 PM  Show Profile
I am thrilled Michele that your sweet cow is doing better. We all sometimes eat things that we should not and have to pay for it - hope the Vet bill was not too much. Thanks about Sugar - he fell over a couple of times last night - the whole farm was a mess - animals acting weird and nervous - wild animals coming in very close and recking troubles. I spent the day and night trying to keep everyone cetnered - come to get a phone call this morning about the earthquake we had here... I should have known something was up but we hardly every have a earthquake - I kept thinking there behavior was because of the beasties coming in close but now I know. Hope everyone else is fine...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  2:38:53 PM  Show Profile
I heard about your earthquake. had a lot of friends and family in the one that hit the east coast...but everyone I have heard from so far is fine. All just shocked...and now looking forward to Irene coming.
Animals can always sense things, can't they? We should listen to them more often. If only they could tell us...but they try, we just can't always understand their language.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  5:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Michele, So glad to hear that your cow is doing better!

Grace, I hope everything has calmed down at the farm! I didn't hear about any of the earthquakes, but I don't listed to the news too much!

Hugs to everyone!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

gathered herb
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Patty
Ormond Beach florida
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  6:18:42 PM  Show Profile
Michele, So glad your cow is feeling better... I can hardly bear when one of my babies are not feeling good. I agree, we should listen to our animal more often... they know soooo much more than we do when it comes to Mother nature. I alway watch my horse's ears when I am out riding... So many wild pigs here. Hope everyone is safe out there with all this crazy weather going on.. sunshine to all... patty
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  8:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Hope all our farmgirls sisters stay safe in this odd weather.
Michelle, glad your cow is back to old self. I noticed with my sheep that they stayed healthier when I was feeding a good hay over them going out for long hours to eat green grass. I now keep hay in feeders and just let them out to pasture after the grass is dry and get them back in before dark. The 5 or 6 ewes that had problems are doing great now.
Patty, I will continue to pray for you and your husband. Are you in line to be hit by the storm?
Monica, I will continue to pray for your family and your home.
Brenda, did you get your haying done? I am praying that you will see more than enough money to fix your farm house up when the sale of your house in AR sells.
Lori, have you cooled down much? I tried to leave a comment on your blog but it would not let me. These Google blogs are acting strange, the blog of Marlyn is not even available anymore, I feel like I have lost a good friend. I enjoyed her daily coming and going so much. This was her second attempt at having a blog.

After work we went and picked up a trailer load of alfafa...heaviest bales we have ever piled. We got home just as it was getting dark so I hurried to get the sheep in and it was after 10 pm before I got my shower and sit down to read this. Today was so hot too...no air moving. Hope we have enough hay for winter.
Our neighbor stopped by to talk to Danny about the coyote situation. He had a cow calving and a pack of coyotes were bothering the cow and others were eating at the calf as it was coming out. He also said that the coyotes just run out in with the cows. This farm is next to us to the south. Girls, I may have to give up spinning and knitting and take up trapping and hunting! And I am dead on SERIOUS!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The Muppet, Miss Piggy advised: "Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift."

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  06:13:46 AM  Show Profile
I am with you Sarita - I have one that has taken 7 chickens and last night was even trying to bother the huge billies - they scared him off but I am getting really tired of this and so are my dogs. I have two coyote pelts on my office wall I think it is time to make it three. Good luck on the hunt and I am so sorry for the troubles. Great to hear about the alfafa - not much to pick from around here... Spent a ton on two ton of hay... We might all be eating it this fall.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  10:11:46 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately the house we were looking at sold! Very bummed I have to honestly say that sometimes it's really hard to believe there is something better out there. I am really tired of being trapped in this town with absolutely no apparent way to get out of it! We have wasted so much time here only to end up in such a mess the whole time that we have been here and I honestly would not believe all of this to be possible if it were not for the fact that it is my life! Sorry to complain but I am just so discouraged right now!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Aug 24 2011 8:19:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  04:37:47 AM  Show Profile
best wishes Monica. Might be time to get out of the area. Hopefully you and your husband can put your heads together, and really be objective, and figure out something. It is too hard to live day to day worrying about things.
Sarita, Sounds like the neighbors need to get together and reduce that coyote herd. They have gotten way to bold. Talk to some hunters and invite them into the area! Anything to reduce the buggers.
Need to make a deeper grove on one of Jacks horns. He has rubbed the band off. The other side is staying on just fine. So that is one thing to remember to do, if trying horn banding. He it still acting his normal (obnoxious) self. Hopefully I spelled that right!
Got lots of harvesting to do today, and a trip to the feed store.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  09:31:11 AM  Show Profile
I am so very sorry Monica and I know that me saying that does not help you and Gary come up with a plan. If you need to talk I am here and I so get the feeling of being trapped without seeing a way to get out from under but just know that there are many of us who are willing to help. To bad Gary will not deal with snow!!! Hint, Hint.

Michele - I had one friend who ran a bead of super glue just outside the band lines - it seemed to stop the band in it's tracks and did not interfer with the band tigthening... I will check with others to see what they have found in this process if they respond - problem is a lot of them are at shows or on the road.

Going to be 100 here today - so got all the outside work done early and now it is time to crawl into the fiber room and get my feet on the concret and enjoy the rpocess. Hope you all have a great day.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

gathered herb
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Patty
Ormond Beach florida
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  10:01:56 AM  Show Profile
Praying this storm goes up the east coast & fly's right on by... all my animals have shelter... worried about my little goats... they have a nice log cabin to hide in... looks like I may be getting wet!!! I wish I lived out there... I could keep a eye on them.. Trusting in the Lord... patty
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  05:11:55 AM  Show Profile
stay safe Patty. Keep your animals safe too. good luck
Grace, your a bit warm yet in the mountains. wow 100 way too hot. Thanks for the advice with the super glue. Will give it a try. stay cool
fall can be overwhelming time. Trying to keep up with all harvesting that needs to be done. I just don't seem to be doing it all anymore! My haybine broke down yesterday. I did ask the neighbor to come in and finish cutting for me, which he did. I hate asking for help, but will be paying him. Husband has it all torn apart and parts ordered. Seals were worn out.
I did get corn in the freezer and the lawn mowed finally. I know just keep going and it will all get done.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  12:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Saw my first Angora goat yesterday and promptly fell in love. Anyone on here have any experience with them? I have Nubians for milk. I'm very interested in learning to work with fibers. I want to learn to spin and weave etc and I really like the idea of having my own fiber animals. I want alpacas too. The lady that had the Angoras said that they are a very docile breed as in gentle. She did say that they have to have their horns (I disbud my Nubians) but that they don't use them to harm anyone. I'm assuming they need the horns to help them cool off? Would really appreciate any input from all of you. Thanks!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  12:11:10 PM  Show Profile
I have angora, cashmere and cashgora goats for 15 years. I have also raised alpacas, llamas and three breeds of sheep - I also make all my income from my fiber so I am very willing to assist from my perspective. I NEVER take horns - they are there for many purposes, cooling, protection, scratching, balance and also for the mothers to bond with babies. You would also not receive much for an angora with out their horns if you wished to sell them or show them. I have also had more then two dozen milk goats and found the ones without their horns are the most agressive. Each goat like each person has their own personalities so training, behavior understanding and also common sense on the part of the owner will handle almost all horn issues.. I have over twenty billies with HUGE horns and never have they used them again me or hurt any of the other males with them. However, they did use them this week to go after a pack of coyotes and they came out without a scratch but I can not say the same for the coyotes.

There are many of us who do all the fiber arts - that is one reason why I also started this forum all that time back is to give a place for sharing of the passion of fiber and the love and caring of those animals as well. So let us know how we can help. - when you have the time also please read thru the threads on this forum - I know it is long but there are tons of information and topics shared - we also do share personal events but well worth the reading.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

gathered herb
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Patty
Ormond Beach florida
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  6:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the thoughts... We had some rain, nothing like I thought was coming in... 2004 we had four hurricanes all one right after another... That was stressful & never want that to happen to anyone.

Monica, I am so sorry. Please keep up with the faith. I would have never made it this far if I gave up. Keep looking!!!!

We all love our animals & there is a circle of life... However, I think the coyotte problem really needs to be address... I am sorry, I have panters here, & coyotte... they come around & mess with my farm... I am locked loaded and I don't have the safe on~!

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the encouragement! Most of the time I can keep my chin up and even find the humor in all of this, but the other day, I was having a really rough day and everything concerning the house just seemed to hit me at once! Things are much better now! I have decided that I really don't care what happens and if push comes to shove I will sell most of the stuff I have, pack up the van and land cruiser and leave! I would rather go live in an RV or something somewhere than deal with any more nonsense! I am having a yard sale this weekend and I am getting rid of so much stuff! I really don't even want to stay in this state anymore! The summers are getting too hot to handle! I swear it had to be 120 in town yesterday when I went to the market! Gary may even be considering moving east!!!! He commented to Isaiah about something saying that he was not going ot drag it all the way across the country!!!!!

Hope you all have a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  12:35:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you are feeling a bit better, Monica despite the situation. It will all work out in the end. It's so hard not to fall into fear when everything seems to be hitting the proverbial fan. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope all is well with everyone. I have just been so busy trying to get everything done before the weather cools off again. The garden is just now starting to produce what it should have in July. I finally picked 6 pounds of green beans today. I even have some ripe tomatoes waiting for me to pick. I even finally got some zucchini - who ever heard of not enough of that??? I have been washing wool and trying to get my dying finished too before the cold hits. I'd much rather dry it on the racks outside than in the house.

Welcome to you Patty and Kimberly - always glad to have someone new join in on this thread. Hope everyone is staying well and the predator situation has eased up. Hope your cow is doing better Michele. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  6:29:23 PM  Show Profile
Cow is feeling good now. Since she was sick, she has come back in heat, and had mastitis. So hopefully all the bad luck I have been having has been used up, and heading for better days.
Had to reband one of Jacks horns, then put electrical tape around it. Couldn't find the roll of duct tape. So the electrical tape is mostly just tied around his horn. We did also try to grove his horn a bit more. It is staying on now. He is actin normal, and no pain. I just hope this works. I do only have the small bands. I saw on a different forum they use a bigger band, and even dehorn cows that way.
Sheri sounds like you will be busy with the garden harvest. I just started on apples today, finished corn, and elderberries also. Tomatoes are just starting to ripen. The sheep really love apples, and the little apples on the flowering crab trees. They go up and grab them right off the tree!
I do need to take the time one day and wash wool.
Best wishes Monica.
Patty you do things like I do. Have the gun at the back door, loaded and ready! I also keep a spotlight charged!
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  6:49:44 PM  Show Profile
Things are definitely looking up! Gary is deciding that we really need to be some place where we could be more self sufficient with a garden and maybe even being able to hunt for food and have a water source so he is thinking that Arizona is not the place at lest not where we are at in the desert! I am trying to convince him that Ohio would be good with the mountains nearby in Kentucky!!!! I may get back to grass after all! Yippee!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  02:41:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Monica, that is so great. I hope you make it back. I always love your attitude. You just hang in their, gal, and wonderful things will come your way.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

gathered herb
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Patty
Ormond Beach florida
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  3:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Monica, I really hope you find your way back to the place you are so longing for. God' blessings. patty
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  6:50:23 PM  Show Profile
WOW! Things sure have taken a turn here! I have been working hard on getting things going better with my online shop and I just happen to catch one of the ladies on facebook asking about buying hand spun for her shop! It turns out she is interested in about 20 100 yard skeins!!!!! On top of that I talked to a guy this weekend that is in Medina Ohio and he has Alpaca fiber for free! He was supposed to get together with my mom to get some for me and then had to cancel! He e-mailed me and I called him this weekend. I was telling him about wanting to move to Ohio and he said he has a good friend that is a realtor and another friend that is a loan specialist dealing with USDA loans and he also said that if we do move out there I could get fiber from him and he has friends that have sheep!!!!! WOW!!! I am REALLY praying for Ohio now!

Hope every one has a great Labor Day!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  1:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Monica if Ohio doesn't work out there is always Minnesota

Prayers you get to Ohio!!! Hope all are doing well. Busy here getting things taken care of before winter sets in and .... back to work tomorrow.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  7:29:34 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I adore you! If I make to Ohio I would be close enough that I may actually be able to come visit!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page