grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  09:39:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi all - I have 8 inches so far and the weatherman states it is just starting we are to have snow going till Saturday afternoon - but we are all safe, warm and will be baking and cooking all day just in case we lose power.

As for the feeders - since I ran so many different types of animals we have a large variety. What I did for the sheep is with those metal bunker feeders that you see in farm books - you know the ones that cost an arm and leg (I know better know) I took wire mesh cut to the size of the width and length of the bunker plus two inches and once you put the hay in you pop that mesh on top and the mesh in held inside by the metal lips. It keeps them from dragging out the feed.
I found now that with just having the goats and llamas I trade around the feeders (about 6 different styles) because the animals get bad habits if they get the same one's over and over. Any grain is fed in individual pans so I can control who get's what..

I am interested to hear what other use.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  10:40:40 AM  Show Profile
Grace, it sounds like you are warm and cozy but when do you see Spring there? Bless your heart.
Jami, I will look forward to seeing your panels and feeders. I think they sound nice...like you said cheap, cheap always makes the bottom line look good if it works. Danny is telling me that he thinks we can make this feeder in the Storey book for under $100. Good idea Grace, you are right about needing to trade things around to prevent waste and the bad habits.
I will be giving CDTs this week end and they are saying we will be getting rain. If it stays warm, I can handle it.
Grace, do you have wool processing equipment? And did you say at one time that you only do your own wool?

Sarita
Jami, I have lambed in April every year. My parents always lambed in April so I guess I got my woozieness (spelling??)from them. I don't like blowing snow and freezing babies and since I don't have a certain time that I sell, just watch the market and when the price is right I sell. I also like the lambs to eat grass to save on the feed bill. I got to admit, this year has had its share of cold and rain during April.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  12:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Grace, you poor lady. I would just be crying. But ya gotta take it like a farmgril, right? I hope all is well and stay warm.

Thank goodness it's warm here. We had twin bucklings this morning! And 5 more to go.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  1:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Happy kidding Kris and I'm not kidding (literally or teasing either)!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  1:29:51 PM  Show Profile
That's cute, Jami. Ha ha! It is fun, though and very nerve wracking, too. I get so anxious and nervous hoping they're all ok and it usally is. I was a little worried about this particular doe because last year I had to help pull her big boy out. He was huge. But these 2 guys are pretty normal size.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  1:33:24 PM  Show Profile
Grace you have my sympathies. It seemed like spring would never get here this year and I still have some piles of snow. I think if we got another blizzard at this point I would be ready to scream. I am getting ready to call the shearer to get my sheep done but have been putting it off because it's been so cold. At least there is finally a faint haze of green out in the pasture and the sheep are thrilled to be out there "in search of". Hope all goes well.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  4:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Well, I measured the snow while doing chores and I am 14 inches not counting the drifts. They say it will stop sometime Saturday morning so I have shoveled the snow off the trees cleared out the barn doors and did not even try to walk down to the mail box because the snow is up to my crotch - Spring in Colorado - I have lived here all my life and this is what we call spring....

After shoveling this morning I posted my treats I made myself on my blog and got back to work in the house.

I will have to check out tonight everyone's baby pictures - I still have not gotten pictures of the new kids - They sure are sweet.
I can not wait to see everyone's little ones...

Stay well, warm and give the little one's kisses from me.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  5:05:34 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
Take care and keep warm. Sounds like your season are like ours summer, winter and road construction
Actually has been nice here, 73 today but this weekend cooling off and snow/rain mix Sunday and Monday, I believe that is your storm as we usually get them.
You are all so wonderful and I am learning so much from this. Getting so darn anxious to get the sheep here. Think ground may have thawed so can start putting up fence here soon.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  10:43:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi all - it is STILL SNOWING!!! This morning it took 2 1/2 hours just to do chores - snow up to my waist. I had to carry my two old Angora wethers to the barn because they could not walk thru the deep snow and they where getting pushed out of the shed by the llama girls. Boy was that fun, carrying these big guys in my arms while trying to walk with showshoes thru the deep snow.

By the time I got inside my leggs where shaking and felt like wet noodles. O.K. I treated myself to French Toast, Eggs over easy and BACON... You heard me BACON!!!! I desire it.

Someone asked if I do fiber processing - YES, I sure do. I have several services available and even allow folks to come and work on my equipment (for a small fee) to process their own fiber if they wish to learn the business. I do all levels of fiber products and I can even do your dyeing too. Is there something I can help you with - not sure who asked....

Hope everyone is staying warm, safe and dry - the weatherman states the snow is to stop by around 4 pm. We have around 3 1/2 feet so far. Then we are to be in the 70's by Monday = MUD, MUD and a ton of MUD

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile
Grace. so glad to hear that you are doing OK. I have been watching the weather for you and Jami all winter. We did not see more than 7 inches total all this winter, just more ice. This was unusual winter for us but I will take Missouri Spring over your Colorado Spring anytime, but I think you live in a very beautiful part of the country.

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Jami, I was reading your blog and admiring those pretty babies. I love your lamb coats, do you make them or do you purchase them somewhere? I would like to make some coats for my sheep to keep the wool clean and to make some for the lambs to keep them warm for next year....I am going out on a limb here and saying we are done with those terrible cold windy nights this year...NOT!

Sarita in Mo.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  3:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Grace, those cookies look yummy. I would have had than a few, though. You deserve it, girl. You probably worked off a few pounds trudging through 3 1/2 feet of snow. I know I lost a few yesterday out in the garden all day. I had a bowl of chocolate ice cream. So good!

I got a new goat this morning. She's a Lamancha and had twins old enough to sell. My friend doen't have time to milk and knew I needed milk right now so I will keep her for awhile. I am going to go milk her about 7 tonight. I can't wait to have fresh goat milk again!

I hope all that nasty snow moves out of there. Sounds like ya'll have had enuf already.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  07:58:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh girls, this weather...keeping us all busy. Grace, you are the farmgirl of the spring my dear...that Colorado "spring" is a wowzer. You eat all the bacon you like...seems you need to keep your winter insulation on a while longer than most of us. We went from snow to mow in a week's time. This weekend it was 75 degrees and I was outside all weekend and even got a sunburn on my arms yesterday. We'll return to more normal temps this week. One day of nice weather and the flies are back!

Sarita, thanks for looking at my blog...I made the polar fleece coats from yard sale fleece scraps. They are super easy and I made a dozen in about 30 minutes. Two little seams and the leg holes are just cuts. I'll send you a pattern if you send me your mailing address. I don't leave them on long, just depending on the weather and such. I don't coat my adult sheep. Polar fleece would be too hot for that anyhow in the summer. I'm sure a canvas type of woven fabric would work better for that. Also I put some pics of the creep feed panels and the feeders DH built on my blog if you want to see them and some lambs.

Kris, I would always rather have a medium sized set of twins than a big single. I had 2 huge singles this year and both were "pulls." They actually were tubby when born as we were feeding the ewes for twins. Hope it's still going well for you.

I've got a day off today so need to get a move on...lots of outdoor projects while the weather is holding nicely.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  09:02:37 AM  Show Profile
Jami, I really like your creep feeders! My husband got busy building these towers to grow pole beans and wooden tomato cages. I just love them. I will show him what your hubby made and see if he won't make me some. I would love to have your pattern for the lamby coats.
Grace, hope the sun is shining brightly on you today.
Kris, I am with Jami...medium twins sure beats the large single any day, poor mommas of those big babies.
Jami glad the weather is starting to be Spring for you. I planted some early crops when we had a warm period at the end of March and I have peas, onions, lettuce, and radishes up.
Hope the sun is shining on everyone!
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  12:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals

Weather in Colorado is just so much fun. Today we are to have 62 degrees and by Thursday they are saying we might be up to 80 degrees. This morning I had to shovel the 4 foot wall that the street plow made in front of my mailbox. Had Etsy Sales to get out, had not had mail delivered or picked up since Thursday.

Glad to hear that everyone's little one's are doing well - mine are wishing to go out and play - maybe by this afteroon they can come out and play as things are melting..

I can not wait to dry out because the outside list is growing and growing. Hard to believe that May is just around the corner - time seems to be moving too quickly.

Would love to hear about your plans for those fleeces that soon will be off the sweet one's???

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  12:46:34 PM  Show Profile
So how can I tell if a goat kid is blind or deaf? The little buckling born this morning is bigger than his sister but is still a bit wobbly. He turns his head up like he's trying to hear. And he does not walk at all like the girl is. She's bouncing all over and nursing. I have not seen him nurse yet but he's peed and pooped so I know he has. He just acts different. Help!

I also saw on How It's Made awhile ago about how wool is made into material. How interesting. They showed from the sheep being sheared to the finished product. In a factory, of course, but still all the machines they use are amazing.I loved the loom making the material.

And also someone might know this, too. Last Friday was the first birth from my 6 year old doe. All the rest were up front. When I put them back in the back where she was, the 7 year old doe, who is still pregnant, just went crazy. They both fought bad. So I put Faith back in the stall and locked the gate. I could hear them butting heads thru the gate. Very loud. I had to leave and when I got back a few hours later, they had broken the gate and were still head butting each other. Abby, the 7 year old, is absolutely crazy. She will not stop this weird behavior. She did not do this when she was out with the other doe that just kidded. Just with the older doe. And she is not bothering the others at all. What is wrong with these two does? I know they go right back into heat after kidding and that's what they sound like, but this is crazy. I have Abby locked up now til she kids. And it could be a few more weeks.

Sorry this is so long, but I need help bad. I am loosing it here with these two!

Thanks, Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 20 2009 12:53:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  1:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Kris let me see what I can offer.

First the two girls fighting in not abnormal. I have had girls break metal panels after birthing because someone looked too long at the new one - or in the case of my head girl giving advise to the new mother and the new mother not liking it. Just consider the hormones and having a bad day. They will work it out but do not let the new baby get in the way. Keep the baby and new mom penned so there is no chance of it getting hurt.

As for the boy acting strange. I am not sure if you read the post on my blog about Maggie's babies (Marvin and Murtle) Murtle I swore was blind - had milk glaze to her eyes, walked as if she needed to walk the walls, never bounced around, had Marvin glued to her hip to walk around, never saw her nurse but she was peeing and pooping. What I did was first take her in natural light (bright sunlight) if she closes her eyes or moves away he is not blind. Under a heat lamp they will feel the heat and move. Next just like people of you want to know if they hear take him to the house or away from the animals. Set him down, let him settle down and when he least expects it clap your hands really loud behind him - if he reacts then you can move on to see what level of sounds he hears. If he does well on both tests then you might be dealing with a guy who is taking sometimes to get everthing firing.

Murtle now is a thriving, clear eyed wonderful girl. Even if your guy might have sight or sound problems there are tons of tricks I will gladly share if you need them. Keep us in the loop - give him a big hug from me.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  9:53:13 PM  Show Profile
Grace I am glad to hear your weather has subsided at least for the time being. It was 74 here today after being in the 40's felt like a heat wave. My sheep hung out in the barn in the shade all afternoon. The shearers come tomorrow noon. I know they will be glad to get rid of all that hair with the warmer temps. It's supposed to cool back down again on Thurs. and rain. Our weather can zing back and forth which makes life interesting - roasting while working in the garden today and probably freezing again when the temps take a dive back down. I'm so grateful that my last pile of snow is melted down to just a flat spot which my dog decided was the next best thing to air conditioning with the temp. this afternoon. My first full day of garden labor cleaning up the ghosts of summer past and I can sure feel it after I sat for an hour - stiff. It always takes a bit to get those muscles back into firing form each spring. It takes different muscles to shovel snow than pull weeds and rake! Tomorrow its starting on grooming the lavender patch before the shearing begins.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  08:13:30 AM  Show Profile
I am with you Sheri...this old gray mare just ain't what she used to be but she's not quite ready for the glue factory yet! My DH keeps asking me every evening when I get up to do something and it takes me a few steps to unstiffen if I'm over-doing it outside. It's been so glorious outside I just can't stop! I've been outside 4 days straight, all day long and have put a big dent in my spring list. The sheep are acting like it's summer but they are sheared so survived 80 degrees yesterday just fine. I am going to wash and wax my truck today. The chrome on it is rusty from the winter roads and I'll admit I haven't washed it since the fall.

Grace, you know that old saying--"if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes"? Bet you've got some good mud a-brewing with the warmer temps after so much snow. Glad you're seeing a reprieve.

Sheep go out on pasture today for a couple of hours...the lambs are always funny. The mothers go truckin' out the gate and start devouring grass and the lambs stay back and whine and carry on for a long time until the mothers get out of the grass frenzy and retrieve their little ones. First day is always the hardest for them.

Sarita, how goes it? I need your address if you want me to send you a paper pattern for the coats. Email me ok?

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  09:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I do think he is for sure blind, poor little thing. He just bumps into everything. He can hear, though. And then this morning we had another set of twins and I think one of them may be blind also. I just don't know what would cause this. It's never happened before. I have always given CDT shots to the does 6 weeks before kidding but did not this year. I wonder if that is a factor? Any other ideas?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I had a triplet who went blind one year...and was kicked out of the triplet clan by her mother too. We began to bottle feed her and she wasn't blind to start with but ended up going blind and I gave her a B-complex shot because someone recommended it. Didn't seem to make much difference. Then she began seeing slow but sure. She got pretty good compensating for her blindness by following my voice and keeping safe with the other sheep although she was a loner type...just how orphans are. Hope your boy learns to get along until you decide what to do with him.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  12:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Lambing season is about over for me, three more ewes! 35 babies so far. Love those babies but it is a night and day thing, this morning started at 3:30 am, ewe having trouble then got the baby here and she did not have a thing to do with it. We cleaned the big boy up, gave him a feeding of colostum, back in with mother, and she still hasn't warmed to him so the feedings continue. He is so precious. Yesterday our largest Oxford ewe had a very big ram lamb that was already dead. Also had a young ewe that got out somehow and she had her lamb but something got it. Yesterday was a sad day for us! But we did have our last Spring calf to be born yesterday.
Ang walked the pastures all day looking for the missing baby and then couldn't save the Oxford's lamb. She was crying so hard and felt awful. I hate it too but sometimes life deals us these blows but I know that The Good Lord is in control and also to count our blessings that we had a healthy new calf on the same day.
I love my animals but sometimes I am physically drained as well as mentally drained when I know one of my ewes morning.
"Saddness makes you feel happier when things are good."

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:37:22 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, it's both exhaustion and the "throwing up your hands" thing that makes lambing a wonderful and sometimes exasperating experience. I go through the same emotions as you do each year. Why not give that new lamb from the mother who doesn't want it to the Oxford? Do you have a stanchion where you could graft the lamb onto her? I'd go for it.

One year I had a ewe that lost her single lamb...born in the cold night and just there it was dead. The ewe laid in that spot for the whole day and wouldn't move. So...I tried to graft a triplet onto her...no go. I was worried she would decide to die on me out of heartbreak and she was a very expensive new ewe so I put her in the blending pen with the mothers and lambs...she stole a twin ewe lamb so fast it made my head spin! She picked one out and that was all there was to it. Poor baby and real mother were so confused but I let her steal her...put them in a jug together and she raised that lamb and loved it like a mama should. We called her the Gestapo mother because she was very vigilant about not letting anyone near her new lamb (especially the real mother) and she was like a sergeant with the lamb..."your left, left, left right left..."

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, not sure if you've tried grafting much but you could do a couple of things for the Oxford mother to take that lamb that the real mother doesn't want. If you can get your hands on her dead lamb you could dip the orphan in a bucket of water and get him good and wet...rub your hands all over the dead lamb and smear the goo you get from your wet hands all over the orphan lamb. Put the wet lamb in with the Oxford in a jug and see what she does.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  8:53:23 PM  Show Profile
Jami, I tried Miss Prissy this morning and she acted like she would stomp her after I let her go. I then caught the real mom that is a young ewe, 1st lamb and kept them in a pen all day. Ang could not get the ewe to let him suck. When I got home, I held the mom and Ang helped the big guy to start sucking. They are still in the pen together, she baas like she is looking for her baby and there he is right under her nose. We let him suck twice tonight, at least he is getting mommy's good milk. We are also having to supplement with a small bottle. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Jami, I had to be in at work this morning early, but I wish I could have got the Oxford to have taken him. She raised the fattest set of big twin rams last year and looks like she is full of milk. Thanks for the ideas, I had not heard of getting him wet. I know the vet suggested that we skin a lamb one year and try to fool the ewe.
This little fellow looks more like Knight than any of the other lambs and his wool feels like silk. He is a very big boy. He has a little rattle in his lungs right after eating that bothers me so I hope he gets lots of mom's milk with the antibodies. I have never had very good luck with lambs that had to start on the store bought colostum, have you?
Jami, Miss Prissy is out with all the lambs and mothers and if she hears one baa, she goes over and investigates. I have one set of triplets but that mom is doing great with all three, she gets extra feed and all the lambs are fat and as big as the rest of the flock's lambs. She is a very protective mother so I don't see Miss Priss getting one of hers either.
The last 3 ewes are first timers...pray for us.

Tonight I laughed till I cried at the lambs playing. About 20 little lambs running and jumping all over the lot together. We have 3 little black lambs and it looks like popcorn popping with 3 burnt kernels in the pot.
Jami, thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. I think between lambing, calving, and work, and my mother having eye surgery...I have went brain dead.

Sarita in Mo.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page