kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  1:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Brenda, it's GL. I couldn't remember the name too. That's not too far from me. I was just in Chick. yesterday. On some back roads. And there are many of those. That's where I found the sheep. I hope they are a good breed. The one with the black fleece was really pretty but she had horns. I don't want horns. The little white sheep didn't have horns. I am going to call the lady I got my pigs from. She has Suffolk sheep. I want to see if she will teach me all I need to know. I hope your friend's are all ok. That was so bad. And all that farmland.

Grace, what happened to your girl? I hope she'll be ok. That worries me so much if something happens to mine. It's very windy here today too. It's a beautiful day. But I was trying to put a bunch of leaves on my garden and the wind kept blowing them all around. SO I will wait til it dies down to do that chore.

Sheri, you'll have to tell me about your sheep. Are they easy lambers? DO they have multiples? Good mothers? Easy to shear?

My cow mazie had her calf this morning. A bull. All is well so far. 1 down, 2 to go. The other 2 are my goats. A few more weeks and I will be in the milk again!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  2:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have prayed for your little girl. She is so precious.

I hope everyone's families are doing well, especially those of you with friends and relatives in Japan. It is amazing to me what can happen in only a few minutes.

It was very pretty here the last couple of days. Yesterday I drove the Special Olympics team to the city for a basketball tournament. They placed first and were very excited. I was so happy for them! Today, I finally got to go outside and skirt some fleeces. I put a few up on my blog for sale. One of my prettiest fleeces is ruined, I guess. I checked them all for defects, and one of the BL fleeces is weak and breaks easily, and a Shetland fleece has breaks down the back. I will try to salvage what I can of the Shetland for myself, but the BL fleece has it all over. Still, had some really nice fleeces.

My daughter will turn 16 next weekend. Geez. Where did the time go? I was just 16, it seems like. She is at her cousin, Laura's, house in the Northwest Arkansas this weekend going horseback riding. Laura and her husband have a small horse ranch, which is Jessica's dream. They have beautiful weather for riding, too.

Take care all!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  05:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Ladies. I just wanted to gve you an update. I am good spirits this morning. I was checking facebook last night just before I went to bed and my son was on. He had posted "Greetings from the most rocking place on earth"! Then I also got to chat with him for just a minute. I assume they set up a communication center where people could go to get messages out to their families. So, they only get a few minutes of online time. Anyway it was so good to talk to him. Did this mom's heart some awesome good!
He said they have been without power, heat, hot water, and the ablility to cook on the stove since Friday afternoon their time. He said they are pretty stinky, but other wise fine. He said it has really been crazy, but they got together with friends and everyone is pooling their food and cooking on the grill...so they are making the most of the situation. He also said the big earthquake lasted "forever" and they are still feeling all the after-shocks.
Just had to let you all know. He also said thanks for all the prayers...but keep them coming as they are still looking for bodies, and now the massive job of clean-up and re-building will soon begin. I know my son, he will be right in the middle of that.
So, again, I thank you all for your prayers and petition you to continue. The road ahead will be long and hard for all of them.
Have a blessed Sunday.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  05:26:43 AM  Show Profile
Brenda I am so glad you heard from him! It is so devastating to see the damage there, puts life into perspective doesn't it??

Well.... think we are selling 3 sheep I know it is part of farming and sounds like we are getting a good price. Need to get new ewes to expand here so a little prayer this new farm girl gets used to that end of farming.

Oh by the way, I want spring and no more snow. Just felt I needed to say that
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  06:48:39 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you heard from your son Brenda! That is great!

All is good hear. The house kid is eating good and playing. Pooing and peeing well too! Mom was in shock/pain yesterday. I gave her some banamine and some vitamins and out a coat on her. Lastnight she was much better. Thank goodness for that. Her little buck, Daniel is doing great! All the other bucks are doing good too. Growing and playing. I will probably start tearing down fences and planels to allow some of the nearly 1 week old kids and moms to mingle a little. I hope it goes well.

Prayers sent to all those suffering in Japan and here at home.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  10:45:54 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am so glad that you got to chat with you son! I will keep them in my prayers!

Grace, I am praying for your little one! I don't know if animals get ear infections, but that was my first thought when you said about her having trouble keeping her balance!

I know I am missing a bunch, but I just want you all to know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers!

Things have been very hectic around here lately! Gary is bringing stuff that we had packed up back home and I have been doing a massive cleaning here! I have been trying to gather all of my craft stuff together and sort through it so that I can actually do something! I am doing a craft show the end of this month and I am taking anything I can get made by then! I am amazed at how much fabric I have when it's all in one spot! I have enough stuff to stock a small craft store! We still have no clue what is going on with our housing situation! After we settled with Steve, then John freaked out on us because he said he was going to sell the house and how dare we back out on moving! Why can't he understand that we were no closer to moving in than when we started! Gary said that when the guys at the other house were putting up the drywall they screwed through some of the wiring and now the walls will have to be torn out and the wiring fixed! John finally calmed down a bit, but now he wants us to sign a one year lease and we won't so we are probably going to have about 4 months before we have to move because we are paid up here until then! I really need to just write a book about the last year and a half of my life and sell it as fiction! On a much brighter note I met a lady in town at Joann Fabrics and we are getting together for lunch Monday! she doesn't spin, but that may just be a matter of time!!:) Gary has also made a couple of random comments about moving to Ohio, so it may actually be a realistic possibility and not just my crazy dream!!!! Sorry to ramble on!

God Bless You All Today!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Mar 13 2011 11:17:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  5:23:38 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am so happy for you that you got to talk to your son even for a minute. I saw where there was a group of firefighters and dogs going over to help. I am so glad there are people that are willing to go to place like that and help.

Rae, that is just part of having a farm. I hate to see mine go but I have to realize I do not have room for every single animal that is born here. I would have to build an ark! You will get through this.

Grace, how's the little girl today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  05:28:38 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am so glad that everyone is OK and that your son was able to chat with you to relieve your tension. I will continue to pray for Japan and all the trials they are going through.

We sheared on Saturday. Where did my weekend go? We could start lambing on Wed. So much for living the simple life. Life is always so complicated in the Spring. Cows start calving in Mar 24th. Last year on a Saturday night, snowing in Mar. or April, I had 2 ewes in the barn lambing and a heifer having a calf in the lean-to.

Grace, hope baby girl is doing better.

Monica, sorry about the housing problem.

Time to hit the road to work....we didn't get the snow as predicted...yipeee!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  4:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - I am trying to catch up on all that you gals have been up to - Monica I know sometime soon this house saga will be resolved but I am so sorry because I know how wearing things like that can be but head ups. As for the ear infection issue - animals do not have the same issue with that but I did check. On the blog I wrote about her event outside with the rest of the kids... I wont' bore everyone with all the details. I also posted about the horrible accident that Olivia had Sunday night... I swear some days I just don't want to get out of bed.. Again the details are up on the blog.

Brenda I am so releived that you had word and that all is safe.

Congrat's on the shearing and good luck on the lambing - keep us posted.

Rae I hope you find strength for the sales and that farm life is going well.

Lori sorry to hear about the breakage - maybe some felt work is in their future. I know how dissapointing it can be after all the work and time - I am sure you will come up with something.

Hate to type and run but got to check on Olivia and fix a bottle for the little girl in the house... Take care

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  7:57:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, I am so very sorry to hear about Olivia! I will be praying for her and for you!!! :) You never bore us with the details!!! At least not me! I live a wonderful farm life vicariously through you and I love to hear about the farm!!!

Sarita, I think even now things are looking up just for the fact that every thing is settled with Steve and even though we may not have a year to prepare, Gary has commented out of the blue on living in Ohio so that is a huge plus!!!! On top of that he is working on a design for a squirrel cage winder that he may even try to sell so I am extremely excited about that!! I feel like things are finally moving forward and now we are all the wiser and Lord willing won't get ourselves into such predicaments again and besides that all of this has just drawn us closer than ever! I can honestly say that after 12 years together, I think I am more nuts about him now than I was when we first met!

Lori, Sorry to hear about the fleece! I am drooling over the fleece on you blog! I love Bernice's fleece, but I better behave for right now!:) Tell your daughter HAPPY BIRTHDAY for me! Hannah is going to be 7 on Wednesday!!!!:)

Rae, I would have the hardest time selling my animals if I had them!

I pray that every one has a wonderful night! I am going to get cleaned up a bit and then I am done for the day! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  04:39:12 AM  Show Profile
Monica, best wishes for you and your family. Lots to think about.
Grace, you sure got your hands full. Good luck and stay healthy. At least winter is winding down.
Sarita good luck with lambing and calving. Love your diz's. A simple idea, decorated makes it fantastic. I am still using my milk cap, so I may have to step up to making some new ones!
I am waiting on my milking heifer to calve. She is due the 5th. She is baggin and saggin.
Got trees tapped yesterday. Supposed to have a nice week, so hoping our snow cover goes way down. Of course that leads us into mud season.
take it easy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  07:39:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! Thanks for well wishes. I think I will be ok. Decided we need to get a couple new ewes and then go from there. Hubby is kind of getting into the sheep thing. Still working on getting cattle though so... the saga continues.

Just want the snow to go away, and ice, and be green!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  1:50:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, Sun is shining and it is 58 degrees here...I am a happy woman! The sheep are very happy. It is cold in 30-40 weather without coats. I put down new straw in the holding shelter and been feeding extra protein and energy feed. White Knight had us very worried last night. He sheared out to be a very thin sheep. He went into fall being almost too fat to breed and over the winter he had lost but his coat was hiding that fact. He has been wormed and he is getting grain with alfafa and lots of water. He is already acting better. He was not adjusting to not having his wool, so I put him in the barn under a heat lamp.

Well, the chores await me. Grace hope all is healing and getting healthy on your place. Rae, I always hate to sell any of my babies or ewes or rams or cows.

I have to clean out my tack room so I can move the sacks of wool in there. Choring Time...Later.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  6:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Sarita sure hope W.K. is coming around for you. I always worry, before shearing, if my two are getting enough to eat. So far they have had plenty!
Rae, no cows yet? Good luck with getting more ewes. How are the babies doing?

take care all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  9:37:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! Wow! Lambing and kidding (not sure that's what it's called in the goat world, but you know what I mean)season! I'm praying for everyone's flocks. I miss the lambs, but I can officially say that I dont miss lambing. So stressful, and then shearing on too of it. Argh...don't get me started... I miss the sheep terribly though. I'm constantly asking Mom for updates on everyone esp my favorites. I can't wait til we have some of our own!

For those of you new to the board, welcome! I'm Sarita's daughter and helped her for a time on the farm. I moved 500 miles away though and haven't been able to get on here much in the past few months because I've be pregnant and am due to be induced in 2 weeks.

I just wanted to let everyone know we're doing okay. Wayne's Mom is living with us now along with her cousin who is mentally challenged. He helps me a great deal with my mil and is a real blessing to my heart. We have filed the paperwork to become his guardians and have taken over the family farm financials. After Evan is born and we have some time to clean the farmhouse, we'll be moving there to take care of them. I feel like I'm juggling the irons in the fire right now, but know that everything will work out for the best.

We went for an ultrasound on Monday and I posted a pic on my blog that you just have to see.

Brenda, I'm so happy to hear that you loved ones are safe in Japan! Your son sounds like a real go-getter, but that isn't a surprise at all!

I'll be watching the blogs! Take care everyone!

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  10:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Angie, Wow!!! Is it really two weeks away!!! It is so great to hear from you!! I love the pic on your blog and can't wait to see pics when Evan makes his official entrance! Make sure that you get enough rest and know that you are in our prayers! What a wonderful thing for your friend to do to have the dinner party in your honor!! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  03:09:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!!

No Michele no cows yet but am looking! I will have me my cows!!!!

Sold Basil and Billy, Basil was tough but if we want to be serious about what we are doing....hoping to trade Sampson even up so we have a new Ram for the girls and can this herd a moving, oops flock for sheep right

Half day of work today, and boy do I need only half a day. Kids have been so awful I am thinking shoveling poo would be a very fun job!
Take care all, later
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  05:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
So good to hear everyone is doing well. I know there have been heartbreaks and tears, but the joys help to balance that out. Such is farm life!
Angie, wow, girl, you have a plateful! Bless your heart for your willingness to take on the care of challenging people, especially with your first baby coming. You have my admiration, that's for sure.
Rae, I hope you get your cows, soon. I know Greg has been looking at what's available around our area and he is so anxious to get his first milk cow! I don't know if it is fortunately, or unfortunately, but we just aren't able to get one right now! I think our first lambing season is going to keep us on our toes quite enough without adding a milk cow into the mix! When the time is right...
My friend will be here tomorrow. I am so excited. House is nearly cleaned, one dog bathed and groomed, two more to go! Meals are planned, now if we could just get the rain taken out of the forecast for the whole time she's here, that would be perfect!
Son called this morning from Japan and they are going to be starting voluntary evacuations of family members (not service members)soon. We may be having our daughter-in-law and the two little grandaughters here with us in the next couple of weeks for a month or more stay. They will have to take the older one out of school and my DIL was worried about it. My son said "Don't worry, Mom can homeschool Chloeigh!" Funny boy! I said, "Sure, I'd be happy to!" Anyway, prayers that this all works out and they will be safe no matter what ends up happening.
You ladies have a wonderful weekend. I will let you know how my wekend goes.
Oh, I almost forgot! I submitted an artcle for the spring issue of the Icelandic Breeder's magazine and they will be including it! I know it's not as much of a big deal as something like one of the big farm magazines, but it will be exciting to see myself in print!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  06:37:42 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Brenda, congrats!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  07:06:10 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, congratulations, it won't be long that you will be in other magazines. Sounds like you have some changes coming into your life. I am glad your family is safe.
I am so excited...I am going to be Evan's Nana soon. We are so blessed.
We are ready for lambing...just waiting on the girls now.
I planted radish, lettuce, onions yesterday and we also went over the south pasture and spread some clover seed on the bare spots after we went after a load of alfafa hay and some straw. It was dark when we got in the house last night. It was in the 70s and make hay when you can...it has started raining this morning..light so far but predicted to keep coming off and on for days.

Have a good day.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  07:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Woo-Hoo Brenda! That IS a big deal! Glad to hear your family is safe and sound.

Angie - Two weeks? Is that all? I know you are ready, but it seems like just the other day that you told us you were pregnant! You do have a full plate - it is easy to forget to take care of yourself when you are taking care of others. Be sure you get your rest!

Nothing new going on here. Weather has been beautiful, so I have been skirting fleeces. Our BL ram, Smokey, had the most beautiful fleece I have ever felt or laid eyes on. I was going to sell it, but I laid it out to skirt it, and even the skirtings were hard to throw away. So I sat on the porch and thought and pondered, and in the end, I guess greed won out, it is staying here. Yesterday I went into the ram pasture to let the chickens out and Smokey came up and I told him what a good boy he was and how proud I was of his fleece. I just love that boy. Now, Cyrano, the Shetland ram, we have a love hate relationship. He is beautiful and all, but he literally snuck up and nailed me in the leg a few days ago. I was keeping an eye on him, but turned away for just a second because someone else was coughing - learned that lesson!

Take care!

Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  10:15:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Monica. I hope all is going well for you. I read what you wrote about you and your husband becoming closer than ever and am so happy for you!

Great job Brenda! I'm so proud of you. How exciting also to have the DIL and grandkids coming to stay with you. I'll continue to pray safe travels for them and safety for your son as well.

Lori, those Shetland rams will get you everytime. The personality difference between the BL's and Shetlands is a complete night and day scenario. White Knight is such a sweetie, but when Mom had the Shetland rams, we were always on the look out. Thanks goodness they had horns, that was the only way to gain control over them sometimes. Little boogers!

Rae, I completely understand your struggles over letting some go. I get so attached to the sheep. Matter of fact, I may end up with all wethers and ewes, maybe breed the first couple of years, but wether those that have nice fleeces and keep my ewes, because I'm a real softy. I cry everytime. In my earlier months of pregnancy, Mom and Dad had a standing order to not tell me who went on the trailer so that I didn't get overwhelmed with grief and cause something to happen in the pregnancy. As I've said before, lambing even stresses me out because of the fear of losing a lamb or ewe due to complications. My flock plan sounds a little crazy and not so economical, but I've always been a little crazy! :)

My plate is a little full, but Mom keeps me sane by letting me vent to her. Thanks Mom! We're making it day by day and there are some days that I want to pull my hair out, but we keep chugging on. Wayne will be off 2 months starting Monday and I can't wait! Up til this week, I haven't had a whole lot of trouble keeping up with everything, but it's getting harder to move around, so I'll be glad when he can take the reins. Oh, I forgot to tell you all that on top of everything, my doc went on vacation for 2 weeks to India and won't be back until 2 days before I get induced and Wayne and I also contracted the flu this past weekend! We're on the mend and we're praying doc gets back safely so we can get his show on the road! Yipppeeee!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  11:29:08 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. So glad to see you post again, Angie. I've been thinking about you knowing you are very close to delivery. Sounds like you have your hands full and then some. It's funny you should mention wethers and ewes as your flock because that is what I have. For me, being here alone and quite away from any services I chose not to breed so that is what I have, ewes and wethers. If I want more sheep, I just purchase them rather than breed them. I worry that if one was in trouble, I wouldn't be able to take the proper care - especially as I am inexperienced in that arena. It works for me. But.....don't kid yourself - a wether might just take a swipe at you too but as you said - grabbing those horns and pulling them around lets them know you mean business. I rarely have any trouble with mine.

At least the weather is getting better - one rain storm at a time. Still have some big piles of snow around but most of the driveway is clear now except by the gate. Now it's on to mud season. I have just about given up trying to keep the floor clean.

Congrats Brenda on being published. How exciting! And having your friend to visit with and even the possibility for your DIL and grands to be coming. Sounds like you will have all kinds of reasons to celebrate.

Sarita how wonderful that you are able to work outside with planting. Still snowy in spots here and below freezing at night. It will be a long while here before any gardening will be happening. I will be starting my plants the end of next week under lights. We have such a short season here thats the only way I get a good harvest. Good luck with the lambing - I hope that all goes smoothly for you.

Lucky you that your weather has been nice enough to play in the wool, Lori. Still too cold and muddy to even contemplate shearing here yet. I would never be able to get anyone down to the barn. It would be nice if the rain spigot would turn off so things could melt and dry out.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  4:48:01 PM  Show Profile
Ok, all you wise shepherdesses. Is that even how to spell that? Anyway, I was just out in the front pasture where we seeded with fescue about 3 weeks ago. There is no sign of it that I can see. So I am not too hopeful about it. So can I just throw grass and clover seeds out there? Or what is the best grasses for sheep to eat? What do they need? Is it too late to even be doing this right now? Help!

My mother just gave me $100. I am going to save it for my sheep! I know that will just probably just get 1, but that's a start.

Angie, I just the part about the Shetland rams. Now I know I don't want a ram. I was going to be getting some Shetland ewes. So I guess I can see if I can borrow a ram when the time comes. I am so scared of rams. I was attacked by a Romonov ram that I thought was a sweetie. Not! And congrats on the new little one.

And Brenda, that is great that your article was published! Good for you!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  8:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I am not sure about the planting season for you. Brome, timonthy, orchard grass, some clover are all good hay. We drill our brome in but for bare spots, we scratch up the bare ground and then we scatter seed and pack it down.

I hope you can find the sheep you want. Kris, sheep are flock animals so it would be better to buy 2 sheep when you start your flock. Some people that raise sheep don't like to bottle feed lambs and sometimes they even give them away.

Sheri, I see you are getting rain and storms again. You can't catch a break this year.How far are you from the coast?

Lori, I got the new Spin Off Magazine today and they have an article on Wensleydale longwool by Carol Huebscher Rhoades and the scarf is so neat. Have you tried to spin your Wensleydale wool yet? Has your goat had her babies yet?

Rae, what breed of cows are you going for?

No lambs here yet. I always start looking for lambs the day that any lambs could possibly be born. I have some that look like it could be any day.

We planted beets and peas and more onions today and just got done when it started to rain. Temp is suppose to get into 70s tomorrow. We also purchased more groceries today. We are trying to stock up on sugar, flour, and other staples with all that is going on in the world and the higher gas prices. I plan to buy more feed for the cows and sheep in the bulk by the ton to utilize the lower price per unit. We are also trying to make improvements by reseeding and fertilizing and putting lime on our pastures and hay ground while the sheep are in the area near the barn during the lambing season.

Time for bed. My husband says that if someone would open up my brain, they would see sheep jumping around in there. I told him that he is probably right but if he let me have some chickens and a couple of milk cows...they would see sheep, chickens, cows, fiber, and milk and cheese and eggs! Oh well, my cup is full and running over.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page