windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  05:04:48 AM  Show Profile
I just love catching up here. All of you make such pretty yarns. Congrats.
Fog here this morn, and 23 when I got up. Heat wave. Cold weather is coming back in though. Will enjoy this warm spell, by getting wood in, doing chores in only a jacket, and maybe get on my cross country skis. I too have a momma in the barn yard, beef momma. Boy she is looking close, but nothing yet. They sure can fool even old pros sometimes! Hope all the new babies are doing well.
I plan on blending up some of my fiber. I liked the results with having a little black in with the white, and visa versa. I do hope, one day, to dye such beautiful colors, like you ladies do.
Been at the sewing machine on Thursday. Finally made up a travel bag, and a tote bag. I had had the material since last fall. They turned out really nice. Told Eddie I am ready to go away for a weekend!
You know what I will be doing tomorrow........cheering for the Packers!
Stay warm and be careful
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  10:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Hope everyone is having a great morning! I am getting ready to go to the market! I posted my pic for the last round of the contest for the bench picker! I think this batt might have a really good chance!!! I am really in love with this batt!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  04:57:41 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful batt Monica!!!

Way to go Packers

Well went out this morning and at 4:30 heard a pack of wolves howling. Gosh I hate that sound. Need to call a couple neighbors today and tell them as they have cattle out and another has goats and sheep.

Twins went out to play this weekend as we had nice warm weather. They stuck pretty close to Mom and she sure let the others know she was their mother!!! Wow she is something! They had fun bouncing around. Cold week ahead so they will be penned yet as only 2 weeks old Tuesday. Ok now when do they start to eat besides Mom, and what??

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  05:18:30 AM  Show Profile
Monica - your batt is beautiful! I love the colors!

Sheri - I can't wait to see the box. I bet it is something else!

No goat babies yet. Grace, I am with you. Molly has a huge bag, nice and full, especially for a first timer, and her insides are hanging out her back side, but nothing else is happening. We have had cattle before that looked like they could go any moment and they would look that way for 2 to 3 weeks before they had a baby. Then we have had a couple that would sneeze hard one day, and, SURPRISE!, there was a baby. Who knows. And the irony of this is that I am waiting and waiting and waiting, and in about 2 months, I will probably be up to my ears in babies from the 20 sheep we bred. :)

It snowed here Friday. Snowed and snowed, around 3 inches, which is a lot for us. Then it melted. Oh my goodness at the mud. We had to move some cattle we sold Saturday morning, slogged through mud to get them up, then again to load them, then again to unload them at their new farm. I have got to get some waterproof boots. My leather workboots got soaked through, as did my 2 pairs of socks and my feet. I was glad I hadn't put on some of my handknit socks like I thought about doing. It rained again most of last night, so I am waiting until it is good and daylight to go check animals so I can pick and choose the least muddy spots to walk in.

Cross your fingers that I find Molly has had her baby!

Hope everyone has a blessed day!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  2:08:24 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Thank you and congrats on the Packers winning!! I have to say that I did not watch any of it, but for you I am very glad they won!

Lori, Thank you! Unfortunately I did not win the last round of the contest, but it's all good! I had a great time making my batt and it really got me back in my fiber groove!!!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  05:14:46 AM  Show Profile
Monica the fiber is just lovely. You are a winner with us!
Rae I hope you only hear those wolves, and don't see them. I have a gun sitting at the back door, always ready, just in case. Also a spot light that I keep charged. The babies sound like they are doing great. They sure are fun to watch.
Good luck with mud season Lori. I don't look forward to that. I also need to get a pair of p_ _ boots on my list. Sarita, did everything get cleaned up after the snow fall? I have a 4WD tractor too, they are nice.
Got some wool blended, and did start on making roving. The diz sure makes it easy to spin. Glad you all introduced me to that tool!
Got plans in place to attend the Shephards Harvest this year, on May 7. I got a navigator, with my christmas mmoney from work, so I won't get lost. I hope to start my diz collection, and maybe a drop spindle.......cant' wait. Hopeing a few neighbor ladies will be going along, so should be fun.
It is finally light out, so time for chores.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  06:28:00 AM  Show Profile
Michele is that the one in MN? I hope to go this year too, will let you know. Told hubby that is what we can do this year for Mothers Day weekend, at least one day

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  08:25:44 AM  Show Profile
Michele, You are too sweet! A diz collection! I didn't think of that! Could be a dangerous idea since I make them! I have a drop spindle collection! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:22:21 AM  Show Profile
STILL NO BABIES!!

I think she is down there in the barn laughing her goat head off because she was able to fool us and get herself her own apartment and private meals and nice warm straw to sleep in, and tons of lavish attention from mama.

Seriously, though, we have moved her Aunt Rose to the barn, too. This will be her 3rd set of babies, and she had all the signs, plus some, last night, so we put up another goat apartment, and brought her down. She was not happy that she could see Molly through the side of her pen, and went to butting like crazy. We had to block their view of each other.

How about you Grace ~ any little ones yet?

We are expecting snow starting tonight. They are saying anywhere from 3 inches to 7 inches. I drove by the grocery on the way home this morning and it was like a swarm of bees. I bet there isn't a jug of milk or loaf of bread left by this evening!

I have been spinning some of Hannah's wool this morning. She is a Romney/Rombouillet (I know I misspelled that one). I am very pleased with it. I had to wash it nearly to death, but was rewarded with a beautiful creamy white. Her previous owner just hauled sheep to the sale barn. He didn't care about wool. I have some white BL in the sink right now getting clean.

Jessica finished spinning her first yarn this weekend. I told her I would ply it for her, and she wants me to take a picture and post it on the blog - I'll let ya'll know when we get it done!

I still can't get the hang of using a ditz, girls. I end creating a mess instead of helping one. Any words of advice?

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  1:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Well of coarse we have babies - we hit another blizzard mid day and Maggie had a set of twin girls. All was well and they nursed and played till around 2 am when the blizzard hit full force. I had to milk her out because her nipples where so big that the babies could not latch on - then they need more assistance with additional heat lamps, hair dryers, blankets and more milking. So far we have not turned the corner but with all the tricks in my pocket I willl keep trying. They sure could use your prayers - I did not even dare try to get them into the house during this blizzard so I am keeping them with Mom and doing everything there.

Then at 9:54 Rebecca delivered another set of twins. This is a girl and I think a boy - Rebecca is a very protective mom so I try not to touch. She is doing great and then babies so far and doing well. We are to go back down to -20 tonight so it will be another night in the barn for me. I still have many more to go so I am keeping a watchful eye.

I count my blessings that in the blizzard last night none of the other animals had too much troubles but they sure where not happy campers.

I will check in when I can but I got to get redressed, eat a bit and get back outside. Fun times at the Funny Farm.
Stay warm ladies.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  08:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I am still praying that all of the babies are doing well!! Hope you have gotten some rest too!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  11:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Grace,I have kept your babies in my thoughts,I'm sure they will be fine with the great care you're giving them!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  04:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Yes Rae, it is the one in Lake Elmo, Mn. We are planning on Sat. Waiting for their website to get updated and see what they are offering for classes.
Prayers for the babies, Grace. Lori those ladies got you wrapped around their little hooves! I just started using the diz, okay mine is a milk cap. :) I watched a you tube demo. I have been using mine with a batt. Pulling fiber out slowly, and trying to keep new bits of wool coming along too. Hard to describe, but nice to spin. -23 below here this morning, but a warm up is coming. In the 30's for the next five days forecasted! In Wisconsin, that is almost t-shirt weather!
Have a great day

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  06:17:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes it is tshirt weather here today!! In fact last Sat I was outside for a while with tshirt and jeans. Cold here this morning as well -27 when I got to work.

Grace take care! and everyone else with all your snow!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  08:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Just had my first twins yesterday, both female I took a picture of them on my blog www.heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Cold night again, -24C. I hate to say it but I'm getting use to it now!

http://www.heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  09:04:34 AM  Show Profile
Very cute!!!

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile
Marlyn ~ they are beautiful!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  07:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I will try to catch up with everyone this weekend. It has been hectic at work and feeding has been a nightmare and takes twice as long to chore.
I am so glad that I am not lambing but hearing about the baby lambs melts my heart. Marlyn, twin ewes is the perfect start to the lambing season but -24 is not! Grace hope your babies are doing well. Lori has your momma goat gave you any babies yet?
Monica, the batt is beautiful, it is a winner with me.
Brenda, a lady named Pam left me a message on my blog...another fiber gal, we might need to get together this Spring and play with our felt. I have not seen much activity out of you, are you OK?
Or busy?
Rae and Michele and Marlyn is there a predicted warm up for you soon?

Have a great day and week end.
God Bless

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  07:26:58 AM  Show Profile
Sarita yup... for us starting today and warmer and into 30 to low 40's of course then they talk about rain!!! I do not like that this time of year as it just means another layer of ice.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  09:19:04 AM  Show Profile
Hello All,
Yes Sarita, I am doing just fine. I think I have just been in a bit of a funk lately. Don't know if it's the hormones, coming to the end of a long winter, yet another cold snap, frustrations over not being where we want to get, yet. Maybe all of the above. WHo knows? Anyway, I've been keeping up with reading about what everybody is up to, and have enjoyed hearing about new babies and projects and all. I just find myself being a little withdrawn when I am in one of those state-of-mind times!
Maybe it is starting this venture at a later age than some, but does anybody else ever feel like your wheels are just barely turning and you can't get where you want to go fast enough? Or is just because I am older and feel like I don't have my whole life ahead of me anymore, so I gotta hurry up if I'm ever gonna get there?
Sorry, this is why I don't write much when I am feeling this way. I don't want to sound gloomy. I don't want to bring anyone else down. I'm really not depressed...just more "pensive" than usual, I guess.
But, with the sunshine, the promise of warmer weather, and a few signs that spring is just around the corner, comes a new sense of hope that things are gonna be quite all right!
It's supposed to warm up this weekend and into next week. Greg is trying to pick a day to go to Arkansas for our new (hopefully pregnant) ewes. We are really hoping to get a nice ram lamb out of one of these new girls that can breed with our ram's ewe lambs for next year. We are very hopeful about our expanding flock.
Hope everyone is well, new babies and all.
Love everyone's pictures and blogs. You are all such an inspiration to me.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  10:31:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh Brenda I understand. We are much closer to retirement than most and just starting our farm. It is hard as want to get things really rolling but the darn money trees just don't produce around here!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  12:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone. Wow lots been going on. My new computer decided to take a dump - the power supply went out on monday and they finally showed up this morning (after re-scheduling 3 times) and put a new power supply in. I can't believe I already had a major issue when I just got it in November.

Congrats on the babies, Grace and Marlyn. I hope they are all doing well. I hope the weather is moderating and the temps warm up. I don't know how you do it, Grace without collapsing. My prayers are with the new ones and with you for strength and continued good health.

I will read through the posts more carefully and be back again. Lots of catching up to do.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  12:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Marlyn, The babies are adorable!! I will have to try and make some mustard and cheese!! I love making my own things! I will keep your dad in my prayers too!

Rae, Sounds like you are getting some warm weather!!:)

Brenda, I know exactly what you are saying about feeling like you can't get where you want to go fast enough! I have been feeling the same way lately! It sometimes seems like there are so many things to get done and I can't seem to even get the house cleaned up! I wanted to make Valentine's cards to mail out and the time just got away from me! I did finally get the Christmas decorations packed up from having taken the tree down a few weeks ago! I don't think you sound gloomy at all and we are always here if you need to talk!

Sarita, thank you for the compliments on the batt!! I am keeping it to spin!

Sheri, I hope that you get your computer working right! My scale that I weigh all of my fiber on decided to go batty this morning at the worst time! It is jumping all over the place with nothing on it. I was going to get a bunch of stuff ready tonight and list stuff tomorrow and now I can't weigh anything so I am going to have to run into town and get a new one tomorrow! I don't have the patience or time to wait to get one online!

Please keep my mom in your prayers! She went to the ER last night thinking she might be having a heart attack. It wasn't but she had an irregular heart beat in the ambulance and then was fine at the hospital! they are running tests and she should go home today! It's really hard being here in Arizona and her in Ohio! I am fighting this feeling right now of just wanting to pack up and run back there!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Feb 11 2011 12:26:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  05:04:04 AM  Show Profile
Hay Rae, You got a money tree?? Fertilize it, get it producing! Wish I had one of those. :)
The babies should enjoy the weather now. Hopefully we get some sunshine along with warmer temps.
Take one step at a time ladies. You can only do so much in a day, and there is always more to do, then money to do it with. Monica hope your mom is doing better.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  05:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rae, and Monica. It always feels better when you know you're not alone in it!
Good advice, Michele, one step at a time...inch by inch life's a cinch, yard by yard makes life hard!
A money tree...we'd all like one of those!
We'll get there, I know we will. I think the first year of doing something new is almost always the roughest. If we could all just be where we want to be, we'd miss out on the real pleasure that comes at the end of the struggle. That's what makes the accomplishment that much sweeter!
I guess we all just need that little reminder now and then.
Okay, then, onward and upward!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page