oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  6:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I am praying for the babies!!! So very sorry to hear that you lost one!

Jennifer, Welcome to the group!! I love the pics of your sheep on your blog!!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  7:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, It's really not that bad anymore! Gary and I have decided that it would be better not to move in because Steve has said that he's not putting one more dime into the house and the septic needs fixed, the gray water pipe is just laying in the back yard, not to mention the ceiling fans that were supposed to have been put in to help cool and heat the house!! Apparently Steve would still let us move in, but we would have to finish the rest ourselves with our $$. I asked Gary a bit more about what Steve said when he came over and it seems that when Steve said about just settling and paying Gary, that when Gary said he was thinking the same thing that Steve then said " Well don't be so rash"! So it was more that he was somewhat trying to manipulate Gary! I would be relieved to just be out from under all this mess and have the $$ to move forward!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  8:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer and Lisa we are so glad that you have joined us! Jennifer, I really like your blog. Clover looks like one of my girls that I lost a couple of years ago.

Monica, so sorry. Sometimes we can not understand what is going on but months and years down the road, the real story comes together. That being said, does not help now.

Rae, I am so glad that you have saved 2 of the lambs, sorry about the little one you lost. It is good that both lambs are sucking mom, getting the colustrum at least gives them a good chance. I will continue to pray for the babies.

Sheri, you have had a real rough winter...everyday on the weather map, your area is getting hit. I forgot to mention yesterday about you getting to see the scans of the new baby, totally amazes me. Ang had another scan to check on the babie's heart and they told her he is doing great...won't be long now! I continue to think and pray for your sil and family.

Lori, your new babies look so sweet. Is your family all healthy now?

Girls, my shipment came today! I got my yarn and rovings. I dyed a few skeins tonight. They did a very nice job on the fiber that I sent them. I put some pics on my blog.

Michele, are you frozen up?

Grace, I think it is a good idea to start another forum so that new people can join in.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  03:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! Well so far so good, both babies were fine yet this morning at 4, keeping a close eye that they get enough to eat although doesn't seem to be a problem so far. Sally is such a good Mom, she pushes them to eat when she thinks they should be.

Monica I am so sorry but maybe it is meant to be that you do get to move where you want to be. God works in mysterious ways.

We have a little warm stretch now, no below 0 weather until Sat night so will give babies a good chance here.

Have to catch up on all going on with everyone but I do think of you all!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  04:24:58 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jennifer please feel free to jump in with questions, comments and such. I will be over to your blog shortly - can't wait to see the sheep.

Rae, I am so sorry for the loss but I am keeping those two sweet one's in my prayers. Good to hear that Mom is tracking well with them. Do you know what happened to the other one?? Was it the same size, formed completely and clear lungs? I might suggest that you breed them to someone who only throws singles and see if that aids in getting the babies to term and healthy without intervention.

Monica - it just seems like Steve is out for himself and I still say there will be something greater around the corner for your family. My heart breaks for Gary - he has given his all and not gotten in back. Please tell him that even if he is not rewarded by those around him just know a higher power is keeping score. I know it is so very hard for a man to be undervalued so give him a hug from me.

Sheri I am so sorry that your weather has been so horrible this year. Tuesday I worked with just a sweatshirt on and by the time I got into the house and showered it was snowing. This is harder on the animals then most folks would understand.

As if yet I have no babies but I spent the day making new accomadations for the six roo's. Once I got them to their new palace I returned to the coop and there the ladies had layed me three incredible blue green eggs. The coop was calm, peacefull and they where stracthing and softly clucking. Yes, a house with boys is restful.

Have a wonderful day ladies and hugs to the new babies.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  07:05:05 AM  Show Profile
The 3rd was still in the sack. The one we brought in was chilled and once warmed up completely took off Hopefully things will continue to go well.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  11:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I am still praying for those little ones!

Sheri, I hope the weather lets up for you!!

Thank you all for your prayers and support over the house situation! Before I would have been in tears and now I am just praying that next week it will be resolved one way or the other! At this point I would prefer not to move in because with all of the tension from Steve, it does not feel like we are moving forward, it feels more like out of the frying pan and into the fire! Last night I was trying to find a friend phone # in old e-mails and I ran across one I sent her a year ago and I had told her that we could realistically be done with the house in a month and here it is a year later and we are still waiting! I really am praying that we are able to settle this and just get paid! I know that the Lord has something better for us. The only thing that really bothers me with it anymore is that Steve thinks Gary is not being honest!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  5:42:49 PM  Show Profile
I finally made it to town for chicken feed today. We are in a warm up for now so everything is sloppy but still lots of fog and gray skies. Felt good to finally get out of the house for a little while.

Rae, glad to hear those babies are still doing okay. I'm still pulling for them.

Monica - people can get just down right weird when dealing with money outlay. I'm sorry to hear that Steve thinks Gary isn't being honest. Sounds like he isn't being honest with you and so is trying to foist the blame somewhere else to deflect it from himself.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  8:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the new girls, enjoy.
Good luck with the new babies Rae. Keep them nice and warm!
Monica, sounds like it is a good thing to wash your hands of the whole mess.
Sarita glad to hear your like the way your fiber turned out. You sound a bit more excited!
I just keep plugging away here. And of course waiting 2 weeks for the Super Bowl. Go Pack
It is snowing again tonight. We keep getting small amounts every day or two.
Cows sheep and chickens are all doing well.
Take Care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  03:09:17 AM  Show Profile
Still have babies! Mickey and Minnie are their names One day at a time here but each day is good. Thank the good Lord we are in a warm stretch. Won't be below 0 until Sat night which is great.

Sorry all one track mind here but I do think of you all so don't mean to not comment.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  09:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Question: Besides some extra grain is there anything else we should give Sally who is nursing 2 babes on one side, the other has never worked We make sure she has water and hay as well.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  12:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Rae, WE NEED PICS!!!!!!! I am so glad to hear that they are still doing well!

I have finally figured out how to make my fortune!! I am going to write a memoir and call it "Stranger than Fiction" That is the story of my life!!! For the latest installment in the saga of my life, you won't believe this one!!!!! Steve offered Gary the Deli (which is the one shop in town that he owns) rent free for a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can it get any stranger????????????????????? Steve told Gary this morning that he feels the Lord want us to use it!!!!!!!!!! The Lord sure does work in mysterious ways!! This throws a whole new twist into things!!! We really have been praying for Steve and I don't think his a terrible person, but I know people have taken advantage of him really bad before and I think sometimes he will take advantage of whoever he can, so to speak, to make it better in his mind! Kind of like when someone is bullied , how sometimes they will turn around a bully others just to not always be the one on the bottom of the pile! Gary told him that he will think about it! Steve also offered to let us use his equipment ot print and sell t-shirts!!!
And just when I thought it could not get any stranger......

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  1:29:56 PM  Show Profile
Monica, Steve has been reading our forum and saw your cake on here...I know a little back street store in a town nearby and the lady started from scratch, started making cookies and cakes, serving soups and sandwiches and she decorated like an old fashion Missouri resturant...she has done very well. Just be sure to research everything. I don't think preparing food and fiber in the same place works!

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  2:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Monica, I wish you the best in whatever endeavor you decide to delve in to. Just remember...get EVERYTHING in writing!! LOL! And take pictures (for proof).
It's a balmy 30 something here today and the sun is shining. The animals are all out happily hanging around their hay bales. Evern the chickens are out in their play yard pecking around in the hay Greg put out there for them. He loves those birds! They wouldn't come out of the hen house even on sunny days if there was snow on the ground, so he shoveled out all the snow and put hay inside the fenced area! Whenever it snows on top of the hay, he goes out and turns it over so they can come out for some fresh air!
I am working on some knitting projects now. I just finished a pair of fingerless mittens. My hands get so cold in the living room when I am working on my knitting and crocheting, especially in the evenings. I tried wearing gloves, but I really couldn't work very well. I got the idea of the fingerless mittens from my cousin (she called them wrist warmers) and Michele (thanks). Mine are more "free-formed" than theirs, but they work a dream!
Sarita, I hope Danny is doing well. Thanks for the info you sent me.
Hope everybody's quadrupeds are healthy and thriving today.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  08:20:21 AM  Show Profile
I can only pop in for a second so Rae, I give my girls to help in milk production Raspberry leaves - not too much since your girls have not had it before. I will be back later with a recipe for milk production but I got to get going... Later.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  08:28:49 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, You are too funny! I hope he isn't reading stuff here! I don't think we are going to take it after all because for some reason he didn't have the right permits when building it years ago and someone complained enough that he is not allowed to have a shop in the building, but we could set up to sell on the deck! It is a nice large deck, but it would be very cold in the winter outside and then very hot in the summer and unless I put the kids back in school it would end up that one of us would be home with the kids while the other one ran the shop so it would take up all of our time! Gary really thinks it's time to focus on getting out of here and I am inclined to agree! It's funny though because I have a number of people telling me I should do a bakery! :)

Brenda, I absolutely will from now on! I do have pics of the house as we were working on it!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  08:50:18 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like Gary is heading in the right direction, Monica. You could have a bakery anywhere! I have a friend who moved from Michigan to Arkansas in order to open a little restaurant. She was really a cookie baker, so her restaurant is called "The Cookie Basket". It was just a little lunch place, and you got a cookie with every lunch! She sold it years ago, but it did a great business. Her lunch menu was nothing fancy, just simple stuff. It was the cookies that evrybody went for! When she sold out, she sold all the cookie recipes with it.
It sure sounds to me like you should cut ties with this Steve guy. He doesn't sound like the kind of person you want to go into business with. Not that he's not a nice enough man or anything, but it sounds like he doesn't follow through very well...leaves loose ends and maybe tries to cut corners. He certainly hasn't been very caring about what he's put you all through.
Maybe this is just God trying to give you some more-than subtle hints...get out while you can!It could be a fresh, new life for you guys.
I hope you get it all figured out soon. {{{HUGS}}}

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  3:05:08 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I have to say that I haven't ever really considered having my own bakery or anything like that, but now that so many people keep saying it maybe I ought to consider it! I think it would be neat to have a restaurant like your friend had because I really like to cook too! I could serve homemade tortellini and chocolate cake!! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  06:54:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi all, sounds like everyone is going to get some nasty weather this week. Are you ready? I had so hoped for a longer warm up.
Rae, hope your babies are doing well. What a way for you to start lambing...a crash course. I am hoping we have unseasonable warm temps in the latter March and April.
Had to take Danny to Columbia Missouri to hospital for test yesterday...thick fog, 18 degree temps for the trip down. It was difficult to see and worried that I would hit black ice for over 2 hours getting there. I sit in the waiting room knitting for over 3 hours, got lots done on the baby gown. We got good news from the test, walked out into the most beautiful sunshine and temps in the 40s. We felt very blessed!
Since we are looking for some nasty weather this week, I will work out at the barn today and move small bales so I can feed inside if needed. (I hate to scoop snow to get to the hay to feed).
I would rather be in the house dyeing yarn and making labels but if we get the storm they are predicting, I will have some inside time later in the week...and if I am prepared, I will feel better about the sheep and cows so that I can enjoy myself.
Monica, I thought about Steve's offer to you and I agree with Brenda, think about it closely and remember how he has done you so far...I think I would get as far away from him as I could...the more I think about it, I figure he is trying to get out of paying Gary for his work that he done on the house by offering you guys somethings that he can not make any money...I will continue praying for you. What type of work does Gary do for Steve?
Better get to cleaning the house so I can get out to the barn and get things done.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  07:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Monica - I agree with Gary - this seems like only a win for Steve and since he has not been a man of his word in the past I would not again go down a road inwhich you two will be on the short end... There are many ways to use both of your talents and I do not feel it is lining the pockets of someone else. I always have you in my prayers and I know that God will give you new avenues to build the life you are looking for.

Sarita - loved reading your blog about the yarn and fiber - are you selling them to the public??? I had not seen the weather reports but I worked for the past two days outside with just a shirt on - one layer is very strange at this time of year. The goat girls spent the day sunning their big round tummies while I cleaned and got caught up outside. It does worry me that the ground and plants are going to pay for this dry weather.

Rae, how are the lambs doing?? How many more do you have to lamb out? I brought in some emergency items that I normally do not have in the barn because over the past year I have had three more friends get out of the business and so our network of help is down to NONE! Even the one vet that handles goats has changed her practice and does not do farm calls anymore. So I guess I am on my own - one thing I wished is that one of the boys was still here because it would be nice to have another set of strong hands incase I need more muscle then I could mustard - but I guess I will just count on God's hands.
Spent an hour brushing Ebony and rubbing her legs - poor old gal - she is feeling her age as I am - but we keep kicking...
Have a great Saturday.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  5:01:41 PM  Show Profile
The lambs are doing great so far!! Sally is a very good Mom and takes good care. They are penned up so they stay warm and dry and Sally could care less as long as she gets her grain I walk in the side room and she is peeking over and stamping her foot to be sure I know she is watching. Does the same to Kevin. The kids are eating and seem to be more energetic each day so I am very optimistic. This is it for this year so lambing is behind us, whew!!! Sure learning a lot though between this year and last.

You all sound so busy! I am just pooped out after all this.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  7:41:59 PM  Show Profile
The national weather is saying we may end up with a blizzard. We made a town trip and got more groceries, feed, fuel. We then put out big bales of hay for the cows down in a sheltered area close to the waterers. I took small bales for a week from under the tarps and put them in the barn so that I would not need to dig under a foot of snow to get to them to feed the sheep. The temps are suppose to drop -0 and winds blow. I would rather be prepared. I am so thrilled that I won't be lambing during this.
I need to get ready for bed, in case they go ahead and have school tomorrow. They are saying we will get freezing rain by morning so I doubt if we have school much more than a day or 2 this week.
I have been winding some of the new dyed yarn into balls this evening. I have also been spinning some of the roving. It is spinning like a dream.
Be safe everyone

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  03:23:56 AM  Show Profile
Sarita stay warm! That storm is going just below us. We are in for 1-3 inches which is nothing but annoying. Southern MN is in for more. Be glad to see January go!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  03:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, we have nothing yet. I got up this morning expecting something to be going on out there...but nada.
Maybe they were wrong?????

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  04:40:59 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I see where they have icey roads in St.Joe. Today they are saying we could have 18 inches and blizzard like conditions on the way for tomorrow and Wed. The NOAA is also adding to have an alternate heat sort, could loose power. We will have to move out to the wood shed where Danny has a wood stove if that happens.
I think they have upped the amount of snow that you will be getting...stay safe.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page