Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  3:10:55 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, we just tell it like we see it! Go for it girl! By the way, which direction do you live from Mercer?
Monica, just listen and be ready to go and do what The Good Lord wants. Sometimes it can be a wild ride but hang on and be ready to be blessed. You have so many talents, maybe you are suppose to be teaching pottery or spinning or fiber arts. Sounds like Gary has talents too. Maybe he could get a job in Ohio at a water facility for a town or a construction company. We will be praying for you.
Michele and Rae...do you think the Packers will be heading to the Super Bowl? I think they will win the whole shooting match!
I have a sore throat and chest cold. Just sitting on my behinny today. I did do chores. Sadie and Lady were ready to play and all the sheep wanted petted. The cows and calves even wanted a good petting.
I think I will fix spagetti for supper...with garlic bread with lots of garlic to take care of this cold.
Keep warm and happy
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  3:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, our address is Mercer, but we actually live just a little bit northwest of Princeton...off of 136. Why? You gonna come see me?

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  4:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Back in the horse days we went to team pennings out west of Princeton. The arena was on the South side of the highway. I think we are about 1 hr apart if I go through Milan to Harris and on over to Princeton. When the weather warms we should get together. Maybe we could do a sheep or wool show together.

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  4:35:17 PM  Show Profile
That would be great! I know there is one outside of Des Moines I want to try to get to this year. I think it's in June or July. I wanted to go last year but it rained all weekend. I think it is in June or July. Of course, I'm planning to be at Bethel, too this year! I want to be vendor at that one...my goal is for Bethel to be my first as a vendor!
I would LOVE to go to the big one in Michican this March...but I'm not sure I'll be able to get away then. Greg's not gonna let me go anywhere when it is lambing time, or even when it is getting close! Maybe after this first year, he'll feel more confident about handling things on his own.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  4:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I LOVE that verse too!!

Sarita, It's funny that you said that because I have been thinking of advertising locally for lessons! I could teach knitting, spinning, crochet, painting and tatting! I hope that someday I can get a wheel and a small kiln!

Okay here is a pic of my finished cake! You are all welcome to come for a slice!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jan 16 2011 4:53:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  5:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Looks fantastic. I'll be right over! LOL! I WISH!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  5:05:30 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I would love to have you for cake!!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  6:31:06 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful Monica! Cake decorating may also be another of your talents.
Brenda, I know what you mean about lambing time. I don't get off the place for very long at a time. Danny or I are here to do checks every 2-3 hrs.

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  09:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Monica ~ you know how to tat?!? That is one thing I have always wanted to learn! I think it is small enough that Stan wouldn't notice if I brought the supplies into the house! BTW - your cake is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!

I am still waiting on Molly to have her baby goat. I honestly don't know what is keeping the little one in there! She sure is moving around much slower. Her Aunt Rose is getting close, too. I think she must have at least twins in her - she is huge.

I have a new lovely blue and purple bruise due to my own stupidity. My precious, mamma's boy, Smokey, snuck up on me because I was paying attention to Bandit and not him. Smokey reminded me that he was my baby first. I think I will have to start packing a water pistol when I go feed now. He got me two days ago in the hinney - must have looked like a scene from a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I was bent over opening the door to the chicken coop, and BLAM! Course, I have plenty of padding back there so it didn't hurt near as much as my thigh. :)

Guess what? Jessica is sitting in there at my spinning wheel just a spinning away! She asked if she could have my Louet when I got the new wheel - I tried not to do the happy dance and jump up and down too much! I told her yes, then decided to let her come to me in her own time to learn. I figured out a long time ago that pushing that one doesn't do a bit of good. Her Nana got her a kick spindle last year, so she understands the basics, but she asked last night if I had any red wool. I would have dropped whatever I was doing and dyed it that minute if I hadn't already had some! This child has never had much interest in learning any of the crafts I know how to do! She is happy as a lark right now! And so is Mama!

They are talking ice and snow later this week, but being Arkansas, I am not holding my breath. Last mess was only supposed to be a dusting if any at all and they missed it by a mile. Take care everyone!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  09:38:48 AM  Show Profile
Lori, Thank you on the cake and yes, I do tatting! Maybe I should not say this, but you can fit a lot of tatting supplies in a very small area! hehe!! OUCH, I hope you are feeling better!! That is so cool that Jessica is interested in spinning! Hannah is always trying to run off with my fiber!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  11:35:02 AM  Show Profile
Monica the cake looks divine!! We are chocolate free here at the house right now. My van nor tractor will start so i made cookies instead without chocolate. It just seems unfair when one wants a piece of sweets and there is none around.

Cold here today. Woke up to the whole barn frozen down. Couldn't milk the cows or water anything as the pump had froze throughout the night. It is -33C at 5am, still -22C now at 2:30pm.It took me over an hour to get it defrosted.

The kicker is, above freezing tomorrow!
In the meanwhile I am farm bound as I need a jump start for my van.

Marlyn

http://www.heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  1:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Ok gals try not to laugh too hard at this dumb sheep farmer. Went out this morning to find twins, one died but... thought they were Sally's as she was there and blah blah. Later I go out and check and Nellie keeps yelling, start looking at her behind and... guess who had the baby!!!

Little one was in trouble so took him in, gave some goat colostrum a friend gave me, he shook and shook and couldn't hardly stand. An hour later he wanted to stand and started walking all over looking to eat so brought him back out. Hubby is there trying to get Nellie in with him as Sally keeps wanting to take over (she is due very soon which is why I am so dumb and ....)
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  2:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Marlyn, Thank you! I always have a few pieces of chocolate stashed somewhere in the house!!

Rae, So sorry to hear that you lost one of the twins! I think I would have done the same thing!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  3:24:56 PM  Show Profile
That's sad and funny Rea. Sorry about the twin, but maybe when I do these newbie faux pas I won't feel so silly, now! It's good to hear others (especially pros) have foibles in the barnyard, too!
Lori and Monica, you are blessed to have daughters who are taking up your skills. My Jessica has not yet shown any interest in crafts, and she is 27! Well, I was a late bloomer, too, so there is probably still hope!
She is a great mommy, did take up my love of cooking (I think she took mine, because I seem to have lost it here lately) and is an excellent cook, she has a servant's heart and is deeply, madly in love with her husband...so i guess I did a few things right! Lori, so glad to hear that your Jessica is starting to "awaken" to the joys of crafting.
Monica, I agree with Sarita, add cake making to your list of things you could do to make money.
We've had a melt down today and now it is supposed to freeze over and stay frozen for at least the next several days. That means we will be getting slick around here, too.
Don't go slip slidin' away out there, now gals!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  03:09:06 AM  Show Profile
Well we lost the other twin at 10:30. Hubby and I both cried and our dog who had taken to being his Mom. When we had him in the basket earlier she went and pulled the blanket on him better than it was

Mom wanted him but first time and didn't know what to do other than panic at the thought of being cooped. She may have even stepped on him for all we know, the other Mom would have taken him but is due any day. Figured we would bottle feed and then put him out with her later but... sad day on the farm.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  03:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Rae, I'm so sorry. Poor little guy...so sad. I sure hope your week gets better.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  05:04:55 AM  Show Profile
Rae, hang in there. It is tough to lose a little one, or two. It happens.
Marlyn freezing up is no fun,especially when you got cows to milk. Get one of those jump starters for your vehicle. They work great, I keep ours in the house. Even helps start the tractor! And you never need another vehicle around.
Lori tatting supplies will fit in your purse! I learned before I got married. I wanted tatted doily's behind the bouquets. My ma said to learn to tat, cause she was not going to make them! Tough love.
I played at spinning a little this last weekend. Tried core spinning. Used some crochet thread as the core. It was fun and different to do. I think the other technique was core wrapping?? Something to tuck away in my brain. There sure are alot of different ways to spin fiber!
time to get dressed and get morning chores done.
Sign me up for a piece of that chocolate cake, that looked delicious
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  06:45:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, it is hard but part of life

Go Packers!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  07:33:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh Rae, I am so sorry to read the news. Please know that sometimes it just is not meant to be no matter what you do. Your sweet dog sounds like a blessing to you both. No matter how long we do this there just is somethings out of our hands and it is heartbreaking but we have to dust ourselves off and get ready for the next round of birthing... I am there with you in tears, hugs and sarrow. I pray that the rest of your birthing season goes without a problem but please know we are here to help or just lend an ear.

Michele - great to hear your experiementing with your spinning - did you like the end yarn?? What fibers did you use?? I handpaint some silk this weekend to add into some new yarns I am spinning. It is always great to spread our wings and try new things. I would love to see a picture or two of the yarn if you get a chance.

Weather has been strange here - the wind hit 52 miles per hour and was horrible - the mountains got hit with really bad snow and closed down the passes thru the night. I was very worried because Nick is on the road to do several trade shows and I still have not heard if he made it to his hotel. I did not want to worry Brooke so I have just kept him in my prayers. He is a great driver in bad weather but it is all those other folks who should not get behind a wheel when a snowflake hits the ground.

I was not sure if you knew but I have a give-a-way going on my blog for those crochet and love beads. The give-a-way end on the 20th so if your interested pop on over and just follow the rules - their very simple just leave a comment under the posting.

Hope you all have a great day.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  08:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I am so sorry to hear about the other twin! HUGS!!

Michele, I will save you a slice of cake!!

Grace, I already signed up on your give away!!!

Hope everyone has a great day! Off to get the kids going on school!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  09:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Rae, I'm so sorry to hear about the lambs. Your heart must be on the ground. Unfortunately it happens. I will keep your other ewe in my prayers for a safe birthing and healthy lambs.

Monica the cake looks yummy. Did you make the fondant yourself? I enjoy doing cake decorating too. I haven't done a fancy one though since the wedding cake.

Grace, I hope your weather moderates. I have included your son in my prayers for a safe journey. Have you heard from him yet? I hope your weather has calmed down now. We had pretty high winds last night too but not quite that bad. Supposed to get another couple of inches of snow tonight. Guess our faux spring has subsided for now. A lot of the ice melted but still inches thick by the gates.

Lori that is great that your daughter is spinning. My daughter had no interest in sewing until she decided to go to school to be a fashion designer and then had to learn all at once. She sure wished that she'd learned from me when she was at home. I am really excited for you both. Treasure those times they fly by so quickly.

Fighting that kind of cold is no fun, Marilyn. We were in the sub-zeros for over a week and it's such a battle to do chores. At times like that I am so glad that I don't have the cows anymore. Hope things are warming up for you and your water is defrosted.

Michele, would love to see a pic of how your yarn turned out. I finally got finished plying my lace weight and got it washed and it is now drying. I am back to spinning some of the fiber that I dyed last fall. This weather has taken up so much of my time that I haven't been doing as much as I would like. Got the hood finished for the bunting that I am knitting but am at an impasse until I can get to town and get a zipper.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  10:36:57 AM  Show Profile
You are all so kind and really get it. To top it off a friend from kindergarten, yes LONG ago, passed away Saturday night. A few of my other classmates and I are going to go to the funeral in Minneapolis Friday morning.

We are getting the cold stuff with single digits for our highs. Sally will have her babies now

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  1:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, The cake is so yummy! I wish you all could come over for a slice! It's actually not fondant. The cake is covered with a glaze that is chocolate chips, butter and honey and the ribbons are made from chocolate chips and corn syrup!

Rae, I am so sorry to hear about your friend! Hope you are staying warm!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  7:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Rae, it is so hard to save lambs in these cold temps and then to have another ewe trying to claim the new babies and their own mother can't get them cleaned up and fed. Has the other ewe had her babies? Hope all goes well. Sorry to hear about your friend.
Marlyn, are you thawed out yet? How did you get your milking done?
Grace, did your son make it to his destination OK?
Monica, just send the pieces of cake to us, it is cold enough all around that the icing won't melt...haha, like any of the cake is left.
Sheri, it seems like your weather has bounded you all winter...then it comes our way. They are talking like we will get 5-7 inches tomorrow. I think Brenda will be happier than I am.
Michele, I would love to see some pictures of your yarn. The processor just emailed me and she has my yarn done. I just need to send her the money and she will send my order to me. I was all excited in November, then December...now I am just so so. I ended up telling them to just make rovings out of part of my order. I thought maybe they would get it processed faster.
Lori, are you staying busy?

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  8:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I actually still have some left! It's way to rich to eat a big slice, so i have been nibbling slivers of it here and there! Gary doesn't like cake so I don't have to worry about him eating it! It is so rich that it's more like a slice of chocolate truffle! If i thought i could I would send some in the mail!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page