windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  04:37:18 AM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving to all. Hope everyone enjoys family and friends. Stay healthy!
We got 3-4 inches of snow over night. Eddie will be heading into work soon to clean sidewalks. Will be going up to my ma's for supper. (a mile away)
Been sewing some Christmas presents. Trying to get it all done by the end of the month. Probely won't make it, but I have a goal!
Ground is frozen here now, so it makes things a little easier to handle. Feed yesterday, and put out a round bale of straw, for the cows to eat and lay in. They have good hay in their feeder, but you know the straw just tastes better I guess.

Enjoy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  09:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving to all. The weather guessers guessed wrong and it is snowing which wasn't supposed to happen until tonight. I just hope everyone gets here and home again safely. Have a great holiday everyone. Just want to say how thankful I am that all of you are a part of my life.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  3:58:35 PM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Aren't we blessed? It is cold in twenty's today so it really isn't bad. Hubby and I had frozen pizza for lunch today and just snacking tonight. I will cook by next big meal on Saturday when my youngest daughter and her family will be here and our son and his family from Trenton. We will celebrate Thanksgiving with them and Brandon's 1st birthday.
I have been in my studio working today. It seems like I arrange the shelves, do a project, rearrange shelves again...etc. What is the deal?
Brenda, I know I will be traveling to Michigan but not for fiber...when Leaha Grace is born in April...right during lambing season...I know everything will be OK but I am wondering how I will be able to juggle everything.
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and all the traveling was safe for family and friends. The weather looks awful in some places. I see it on TV and heat up another cup of hot tea to sip.
You are all in my prayers. God Bless.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  8:40:26 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone stays warm and well on the wonderful Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for all of you here is our wonderful little group of farmgirls! You all are so special to me and I pray that you have had a great day! God Bless each and every one of you!!:)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  05:29:15 AM  Show Profile
The day has come and gone. Can you believe it?
MIL and BIL and nephew didn't make it down as the roads werew icy and MIL didn't want to drive. Can't blame her, but we were left with T-dinner without cranberries or pumpkin pies. Next year, I stick to my guns about making everything myself...what is Thanksgiving without cranberry salad and pumpkin pie? At least we had applesauce, apple pie, and cherry pie.
It's cold here today...single digits. I guess now it is time to start getting ready for Christmas!
Hope everyone has recovered from yesterday's festivities. And hope you didn't eat too much!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  09:05:54 AM  Show Profile
It is great to hear that everyone had a thankful Thanksgiving... It was really cold but no snow or ice so traveling in went without a hitch. The day was perfect and my youngest son Conrad even made it back from his trip to NY to get to sit down with us. Reese was full of fun and I so enjoyed playing with him. I brought the wings the thighs home and started the crock pot as soon as I checked on the animals. I will make herb noodles to go with it tonight.

We remembered to count you all in our prayers for the day and hope that this holiday season will be full of wonderful memories to carry us through the hard times.

Oh I forgot to say - one memory for me was hugging my brightly colored roosters and finding thanks in their presents. I must admit they really are so beautiful and one of them sat with my sick black hen all day until she was feeling right as rain. So that did earn him brownie points.
Stay warm ladies and cut another slice of pie - you earned it!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  04:23:16 AM  Show Profile
So Sarita, it will be a girl!!! How nice.
I am tired of winter already. Been cold here for a while.
Good luck with all the projects going on.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  05:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Today is one of our Thanksgiving Dinners. Turkey has been in the oven for about an hour. I made some of my salads yesterday before Lisa and the kids got here. Lexi has gotten so tall and she is really mature for her age. She helped me feed the sheep last night and her John sheep spotted her right away and she stood and petted him and he would have liked for her to stay outside with him last night. John and Lexi have been friends since both were little ones. She told John as she felt of his wool that his wool is meant to be her a new pair of gloves next year. Yes, I was listening.
The sun is shining this morning and the temp is to get in the 40s so it should be a good day. Son and his family should be here about noon. I will start making the light rolls and peeling potatoes for the mashed potatoes soon. Cherry pie will go in the oven too.
Brandon is 1 year old and he is standing takes a step and drops, he gives the funniest facial expressions. He is teething and has a runny nose but he is a busy little guy.
Don't spend all your Christmas dollars this week end...

Happy Thanksgiving again
Sarita

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  4:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Awwwwww.....A girl! So many more patterns to knit and sew!!! Bet she will be spoiled rotten in no time!

I am tired of cooking. We have always joined Stan's family next door for Thanksgiving, but this year, because the kids are getting older, we decided to start our own tradition and fix a meal here at home too. It also means that we get leftovers now since everything always gets scarfed at his mamas with all the family there. Got to play with the baby great nephew, Jayden. He is not so much a baby anymore, and his mama is even talking about maybe another one someday. They will be moving to New Mexico in February where her husband will be stationed. It will be hard on everyone - she will be the first person in the family to move away from hometown.

Everything is packed for the show next week-end, there are pics on the blog. Why does it always seem like I should have done more? Oh well, I am trying to make Christmas presents, too, since I am not working now. It is amazing how fast time goes when there is so much to do. I'm making my first watch cap for the youngest son, using teeny-tiny sock yarn, but it is knit in the round, so it goes fast. Good thing, because I have another one to make for the other son!

Stan and I visited another farm this afternoon here in town. We found an ad in the paper of a lady selling some longwool sheep, so we called and it turned out to be a lady we grew up with. We thought we were the only people for miles that raised something besides sheep for the fair. She has Wensleydales, Gotlands (which I had never seen before) and Cotswolds. I made myself look, but not touch. I keep repeating, "I do not need more sheep". But I wanted to make the connection in case I ever run out of wool to spin. (yeah right!)

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  5:11:00 PM  Show Profile
OH I LOVE Gotlands!!! I ran out in the shop and wished I had more... So you where a good girl and did not come home with more sheep?? Lori, I find I can not look because I know I will just have to have someone. That is why I can not help out at shelters - I come home with more critters. Sounds like you are off to starting some new traditions - it may be hard at first but worth it. We are haaving to consider all those things now that my son is married and has a child. I do not want them to have to be on the road - I did that during my marriage and we never got a chance to make our own traditions. When my husband passed I put my foot down and made sure my sons got a chance to create their own traditions.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  5:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to say - Good Luck with the Show - I will check out the blog to see it all.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  04:12:37 AM  Show Profile
The Gotlands reminded me a lot of my little Shetlands, but different, and such neat fleece. She had one brown/black Cotswold girl that was soooo pretty and had the most inquisitive look on her face when you talked to her. She is registered and we have a registered ram.......... Better quit thinking of her!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  04:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I know just how you feel! I was going to start with 1 ram and 2 ewes, but when we went to look at them, she had all 4 of her ewes that were for sale in the pen...well, I decided to buy all 4! I couldn't not buy them! Of course, we went home to "talk" about it first...but I talked us right into it! LOL! And I couldn't say "no" when we were offered Ursula and Cookie!
I love my Icelandics, and I'm so glad I chose them. But, whenever I see other types of woolie beauties, I think "Oo, maybe I should raise some of those, too! I love the Jacobs sheep, and the Shetlands are lovely...and a lot of the crosses I've seen are just adorable! I'm a sucker for a sweet face and curly "hair"!
I think you have a great idea about camping out. I'm hoping to have my hrse trailer by then and will probably use that to transport my wares. Not sure what we will do for accomodations, yet. Maybe we'll throw up a tent or something!
We are off to Des Moines today. It is my MIL's 75th birthday and she asked us to come up for lunch. We are also going to make a quick stop at Hobby Lobby. I have been crocheting a saddle blanket out of some merino wool I had left-over from a project from a couple of years ago. I ran out of yarn, so I need to get some more to finish it. Then I will felt it. This one is my proto-type, and if it works out, I plan to start making them out of my Icelandic wool.
Monica, someone sent me a link to a site where a lady was selling wool baskets she had made. I am planning to try to make some. I was wondering what your friend who makes them builds her frame with. Does she just make her ribs out of bought reed? The ones I saw, the reed was not even ded or stained. I am thinking about staining mine in black walnut stain before I weave the yarn in.
I imagine everyone is back to work today, or back to their regular routines. Hope everyone has a great week...time to get ready for Christmas!
Greg wanted to go out and get a tree this week, but I told him I wanted to wait until my friend Beth gets here to do it. I like to try to give everyone a lot of fun experiences when they visit the farm.
I am praying this warmer weather holds for just a little while longer. At least until after Beth leaves!
God Bless.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  11:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi all, made it through the weekend and always feel a little down after everyone leaves for home. The baby had a bad cold so he was fussy at times and had a runny nose, just didn't feel good.
Lori, good luck at the show. I would love to get the person's name and contact info with the Gotland sheep.
I am cleaning out my studio, I have some washed wool that I will be selling. I put some information on my blog if you are interested.
Brenda, I hope the weather holds out for you too. Did you find a drop spindle? I was cleaning in my studio and found a basket of them.
God Bless
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  11:20:42 AM  Show Profile
Dog-gone-it Sarita - now, since you threw out the temptation, you have to tell what kind of wool you have! I will email you with the Gotland info.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  1:15:08 PM  Show Profile
Sarita told me I should join this group of sheep lovers.
I live in Ontario Canada and have a flock of 74 ewes, Romney/Suffolk mixed. I have spun wool but time is an issue. However I love to knit. My wool is sold mostly to the spinners and weavers guilds across Canada.
Isarah your stash of wool on your blog is truly amazing.You have me drooling.

Marlyn

http://www.heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  1:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Marlyn, so happy you have joined in with this group of sheep and fiber lovers.

Lori, I will get email you after chores and supper are over.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  2:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Marlyn - great to have you here. Just went to your blog - great reads and love the pictures. Can not wait to hear all about your farm, sheep and fiber adventures.

Sarita I went to your blog and read that we will have to be patient till tonight to see the fiber - you know I am always on the hunt to add to my blends and I have been talking with a customer in Florida who I am working with on a larger project so maybe some of that wonderful fleece of yours might do the trick...

Got hit with 4 inches of snow and horrible winds so Winter is here at the Funny Farm. Have been washing and picking some of my sweet Cashmere fiber from Ebony and Monk - such buttery down. Spun some yarn last night for a Christmas present so I can not say much but my fingers where in prime form last night. I was amazed because they were stiff from all the fence repair but once they get spinning everything melts away.

Hope all is staying warm and you have recovered from cooking and company. Sorry to hear the little one was sick Sarita - Reese was having that same issue but is better now. Sad to see them suffer.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  2:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Marlyn - thanks for the compliment! I went to your blog and those socks are beautiful! I will have to print the pattern and hopefully make myself some after the first of the year!

Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Grace and Sarita for bringing my attention to this MJ topic this is the place for me! My husband and I are in the process of saving for a downpayment on our first home/farm and I want to get into fiber farming. We've had a few goats and sheep over the years and they are truly our passion and we're planning to focus on them. I knit and crochet and am hoping to learn spinning next. Can't wait to read more of your goat/sheep stories!

Sister #1213

Farm-made aprons and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  4:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Welcome to Marlyn and Nigella. Sounds like everyone had a good holiday. We got pounded with two feet of snow and wind and cold temps. Finally got everything cleaned up - paths shoveled, gates shoveled out and a plow in to plow the driveway just in time for another storm expected tonight with an additional 8 inches expected. Looks like another La Ninia winter....just hope the temps warm up so some of it falls as rain instead of record snow fall again. Would like to do something besides move snow. My sheep don't mind it as much as I do and have been splitting their time between laying under the trees and hunkering down in the barn.

Lori your fiber and yarns look great. I hope you do well at the show. Glad to hear that all is well in your neck of the woods, Sarita. I can sure sympathize with the stiffness, Grace. I was so stiff when I got out of bed this morning I was "bent". Took me about an hour to work out the kinks.

How is Gary doing, Monica?

Have a great evening all.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  5:48:28 PM  Show Profile
It is hard to believe the weather Sheri and Grace are having! We will be lucky if we get a dusting this year. I have always heard the wives' tale that if you count the number of morning fogs in August, that is the number of snows you will have in the winter. For the last several years it has been pretty spot on, so I trust it. We didn't have a single fog this year.

Thanks for all the encouragement, ladies. I get antsy every time I do a show.

The power went off again for over an hour tonight. Last time it was because a poor raccoon baby lost it's life at one of the substations. We took advantage and all ran outside and looked at the stars - it is amazing how many more you can see without any light spoiling the view. Then back inside to light all the candles - smells like one of those bath stores in the mall now that they are all blown out.

Take care and keep warm!
~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  7:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow! New people! Welcome Marilyn and Nigella. I love that name!
Lori, your stuff is all so beautiful. You will do great. Can't wait to hear all about it.
Monica, How's it going?
Sheri, they keep saying we're going to get snow, and they keep changing it! Today was windy and rainy. I think I would really rather have the snow. We had lunch in Des Moines with my MIL today and she said it is the first time in the last 9 years there has not been snow on her birthday. It figures! I moved somewhere where i thought we'd get lots of snow, and watch, our first year here and we won't get any! The first time I saw this place it was burried under a couple feet of fresh snow, and I fell in love with it!
I know I said I didn't want it to snow until after Beth leaves, but I hope we do get snow eventually.
Stay warm and dry everyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  8:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, the wind is howling and the temp has dropped but not looking for much snow yet...but I know we will...don't loose faith Brenda.
I had to get a black calf in when I got home, do chores and open gates for Hubby to feed cattle. I have been up in the studio most of the night, taking pictures and going through sacks of wool. I almost did not put any wool up on my blog, it has some vm and if anyone thinks they are getting very clean and vm free wool, don't even look at it. Just warning you. I card my wool and most of the vm comes out, I sometimes sit and fluff it and the vm just falls out prior to carding, or I pick it with the picker. My sheep do not wear coats so I can expect a little vm. This is a little like selling a house that is not quite up to my standards prior to showing it...
Good night all

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  07:15:35 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, we are getting snow right now! It is whirling and blowing! I can't say I'm upset...it is beautiful! And, Beth doesn't arrive until Sat...so it could turn nice again. But I know, that even if it doesn't, we will have a good time.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page