True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  08:51:23 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Ladies,

The weather is cool and breezy this morning...a great day for baking! I have two dishes of apple crunch in the oven now (like apple crisp, but better), and will bake some pumpkin muffins after that. I love fall!
Yesterday I went out and picked/cut some field flowers for drying. I want to put together some fall flower arrangements.
Monica, I looked at your website. Soon I'll order one of those drop spindles! You did a great job.
Grace, Hope your headache goes away soon. Your freezer food sounds wonderful, and very inspiring! I need to do some of that for when my daughter and her family are here (they'll be here in two weeks-I'm so excited) so that I don't have to spend all my time cooking while they are here!
Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  10:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I will be praying that your headache goes away! I ended up with a migraine yesterday and spent part of the afternoon hiding under the covers!

Brenda, I will have some drop spindles up hopefully this weekend! I have 25 made so I just need to get pics and list them!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  5:03:50 PM  Show Profile
I am so far behind on reading post. I came down with a bad chest cold and coughing and hacking every day and night for a week. I think I am over the hill now...I feel so stupid because I knew that if I didn't slow down that I would get sick and I had all the signs of my autoimmune stuff...live and learn.

cool weather, I got up wanting to bake so I made bread, rolls, cinnamon rolls and fixed chicken noodle soup. Tasted good after not wanting to eaty all week.

sheep are good...still thinking about selling shetlands. I will go pick up a registered BFL ram next week and I think I am buying another one with a slightly different build. I am thinking about a flock reduction and maybe go all registered BFL. Still in the talking stage. I have had a lady to ask me to list prices and pics of shetlands and I can't make myself do it. The girls are such big pets. Softy Me!

I will read your post and try to be on here more when I feel better.

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  5:55:41 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I will be praying for you to get better quickly! Do slow down occasionally!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:16:29 AM  Show Profile
Grace and Sarita ~ hope you are both feeling better soon!

It has actually turned off cold here! I had to wear a jacket to work this morning. I am watching a squirrel creeping up on my front porch right now. I had some black walnuts drying out there while ago, and Maverick, the daschund would not hush. I looked out and the little rascal was stealing them! I have them moved to the back porch now. He will probably find them there. He is probably the same one that ate my garden last year and invited all his friends!

I have been spinning some wool to make a cowl. My first attempt was some wool that I had dyed and blended to make a gorgeous heathered purple. I needed 160 yds of fingering to sport. I wound up with 88 yds of sport to worsted. It sure is pretty, though! Now I am trying with some superwash that reminds me of avocado. It has pale greens, blues and browns. I think I am going to make it this time around!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  5:29:35 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies, today I learned to skirt, wash and card wool! My sheep will be shorn in a couple weeks...I'm ready!

Sarita, so sorry you haven't been well. And I am so sad for you that you have to sell some of your precious shetlands. I sure hope you find good homes for them. If I hadn't just started with my Icelandics, I would consider adopting them. They are so pretty. I saw your latest blog.
Just rest and feel better soon.
Have a good week everybody.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  06:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Sarita - I keep repeating to myself "I don't need more sheep. I don't need more sheep." I should have never looked at the pictures on your blog! They are gorgeous!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  6:01:43 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is having a great day today! The house is getting a bit closer to being done. It has been a year now since we first started working on it and I think I am getting completely burnt out on it and we are not even moved in yet! Gary stopped over at the house and Steve was there and had a few questions for him about the electrical and here as it turned out one of the guys finishing it up undid a bunch of wiring that once again there was just no reason to mess with at all! Gary had it all done to the point of connecting the plug and I am not sure how much was undone but some of it was! The hard part is that Gary can't even tell Steve what needs done because he doesn't know what these guys did and at the same token he can't just tell Steve that these guys don't have a clue what they are doing (even though that is the truth) because he doesn't want it to look like he is just complaining about the work! I am just about to the point of putting on my boots and jumping on all of the eggshells!!! Terrible aren't I!! hehe!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  7:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

starting to feel better, but moving slow. We went into town today after I got off work to buy feed, mineral, etc. The back of the truck was loaded.
I also got some more wormer. I see a lamb or ewe here and there have worms, treat as I catch them. This has been the worse summer yet. I have had 4 have bottle jawed, worm them and give them a shot of penicillin and they seem to come out of it. I am looking forward to a freeze. I think this fall I will worm everyone of them and give them their CD&T the same day. The thing is, most of them have never been bothered with worms. They will be my keepers if they have good wool and nice babies. So we will be tagging too.
I will pick up the new BFL ram this week end. So this week will be filled with sorting which ewes will be bred by what ram.
Monica, you are more patient than I would be. Hope you get moved in soon.

Brenda, I am so happy that you will have your family there with you soon...what a treat!

Lori, wish you were closer. I am about to change by mind about my 5 pets, I may sell some of the other ewes that had smaller lambs and older. It will be a relief to get the flock down to abut 20 ewes.

Rae, how about the game last week?

Angie has her days but still having morning sickness and not very active. I will be so glad when she gets back to her old self. Thanks for your prayers.

Ladies, got to go lay down now, long day, and energy is gone.

Later
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  9:07:35 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I really don't have any more patience with this, but for Gary's sake I am praying a lot and keeping quiet so I don't get him going on it! He was so mad today over the outlets!I would love to be in a position to just skip the 2 years free rent, get the money and leave here! Hopefully soon we will be able to!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  10:51:27 AM  Show Profile
Gary and I have started making diz's and I would love to know what you all think of them! Here is a pic of the first ones I have done.

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Oct 06 2010 10:51:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  07:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Been a few days since I've been on the computer. I ended up with a bad head cold. Its some better but still hanging on. I have been dyeing wool which has been fun but it looks like the weather is taking a turn to being cooler and wetter so I guess Indian Summer is over. I have been picking tomatoes and squash and blackberries still. It's about time to cut down the beans and put them out for the deer.

My son and his new wife are expecting in May!! This will be my first (blood) grandchild. I have 9 step grandchildren. I don't differentiate between my own and the step - they were with me since 5 and 9 years old. I am excited to have another grandchild.

Sounds like the house is coming along, Monica despite the problems. I am sorry that you've had such a difficult go of it. Any news on actual moving date? I checked out your website and it looks great. Your diz's are cute too.

I will try to get back here and catch up on all the news. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  08:01:50 AM  Show Profile
Monica ~ those are really pretty! I am assuming they are wood? I love the designs you have painted on them. You are so talented!

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, Congrats on the new grandbaby!!!!! Unfortunately we have no new news on the house! All that really needs finished is some wiring and the carpet put in, but we have no clue when that will happen! At this point Gary is about ready to quit! He is so tired of the stress of dealing with Steve and it's just wearing on him too much! Thank you for the compliments on the website and diz's! I am praying that we can really get going online with the shop and get out from under everything here!

Lori, Thank you!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  07:45:58 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies

Hope your feeling better Sheri and congrat's. My only grandson just turned 6 months on thursday. Time flies when your up to your eye's in life.

Monica I am so sorry to hear that Gary and you are still struggling with the house issues. I know it is difficult and that patience are gone and then some but just know that all this will be worth it. It seems like everyone I know is having a tough time right now and I think it is a test that we are being put thru - I am not happy about my issues either and would love to just pull the covers over my head and wish it all away but I know it will be waiting for me when I get out of bed so I do my best and try not to get too sad.

As for the diz's they are really creative. What are the different size holes??? I am really picky about diz's because not all fit my hands correctly, others get in the way of my pulling evenly when I am working on my large carders, others are too small and my finger get cramps trying to hold onto them while pulling. I have purchased many and have only one I use that is one I purchase the first year I started and I must say it is my favorite and work horse... I wish you great sucess on these - for a fiber person a diz is our best friend....

As for me, I have been painting away but I feel like I have not made much progress. The article in Belle Armoire Jewelry has quickened my sales but not I found myself sold out of many of my silk products and I am still waiting on my coop to send my supplies - good and bad in that problem. Been trying to keep spirits up - too many problems all around me - friends, family and customers that make it hard to keep a positive tone. Been praying for a light, each day I count my blessings and know there are others with much worse problems then my own. The lack of moisture has kept us all on pins and needles - many have lost everything to fires this past month and again I try to give thanks for the littlest of things.... Sorry to sound like such a bummer but I knew I could share here.

One a bright side all the chicks are still growing like weeds and I promise to put up pictures on the blog - I just have not felt in the mood to sit and type. I am so amazed that all of them have come thru and I truely enjoy every minute with them. I think they are finally realizing I will not kill them everytime I come into the coop. Infact, I had one this morning come up and peck on my shoes and look at me as if saying "Oh, Hi Mom - what took so long" Such a sweet one.

So Have a Wonderful Day Ladies!!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  09:54:24 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I can't believe that Reese is already 6 months old! Time sure does fly! On the bright side I did stop at the house yesterday and they are fixing the ceiling and they did get the tile for the kitchen and it's pretty! I honestly feel bad for Steve right now because these guys that he has finishing up are costing him $$ on things that they are undoing for no reason at all! On another brighter note, Gary has been making things for me and he found part of a wood lathe yesterday! It's an old one and it doesn't have a motor, but he has one he can put on it so I am really excited about that!

The holes on the diz,s are 7, 9, and 11/64 and the one that has one more hole is 13/64. I have been using mine and I really like it! I know what you mean about the small ones cramping your fingers. I was surprised to find on etsy there are not very many of them so hopefully they will sell good!

I am so happy to hear that you are getting sales from the article! I will be praying that you get the rain you need. You don't sound like a bummer at all, just lots going on for everyone right now!

I can't wait to see new pics of the chicks! Glad to hear they are adjusting well!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  3:09:00 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad to hear that there is progress on the house and in the right direction. I just had a thought - do you guys have something in writing about all this?? Steve does not sound like he is always above board and I would hate that after all this work and hassle that he could mess this up....

I love the sizes of the holes in your diz's. For awhile I made diz's out of clay and sold hundreds of them at shows - it is like our drop spindles - we collect them...

Lori, I sent off your books today and so soon you will have some great reading and reference material - again, many thanks....

I posted new pictures of the chicks and even my sweet Sophia who is working hard since Kasha has been under the weather as of late. We are all feeling the work load around here including my dogs. There are some bad nasty creatures in the forest and so none of us have had a peaceful night in weeks. Might have to bring out the guns...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  3:56:50 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hate to say it, but Gary doesn't! The one thing we have in our favor if things really go south is that Steve would have no proof of having paid Gary for the work so we could at lest collect the $$ if it all falls through!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  04:40:18 AM  Show Profile
Gosh I guess I just lost what I was typeing, darn it.
Starting over, what do you use a diz for?? Remember I taught myself to spin.
Weather has been really nice here lately. Got the beds and gardens all cleaned up.
My Summer had a heifer calf a week ago. So enjoying fresh milk and cheese again.
Going this afternoon to St.Paul, for our sons football game.
Working on a hat for my grandson. Used alpaca for the ear flaps and ribbing, and my own dyed wool for the rest. Turning out nice, and it is so fun to make it with hand spun yarn.
Time to go add rennet to the milk pot.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  07:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. It sure is dark and gloomy here this morning. We have had clouds and rain for the past several days and very low light. Sure wish I could send some of this your way, Grace. The sheep have been hanging out in the barn it's been so wet and that's unusual they usually hang out in the trees. The coyotes have been close the past week or so so perhaps that has more to do with it than the weather. My neighbor lost one of her turkeys right in her front yard in broad daylight. I am fortunate to have tall fences.

Had a power outage last night that lasted two hours. Finally got the power on and three hours later it was out again. They re-did our whole power line system a year ago and have had nothing but trouble ever since. I think I'm up to about 23 outages now in the past year - more than I've had ever since I moved here 30 yrs. ago. I sure hope they get this worked out before the cold weather hits.

Two more weeks or so before my friend from CA comes to winter with me. I am really excited as I haven't seen her for about 6 years. She is a fantastic jewelry artist. I taught her to knit about 7 years ago and she has been making some really great felted hats. I hope to get her hooked on spinning this winter. I have to admit it will be nice to have company during the dark days of winter.

Congrats on the heifer, Michele. Must be nice to be back in milk and cheese again. Hope you have a great time at your son's game today.

Loved the pics on your blog, Grace. Sophia looks like a dear one and the chicks look like they are doing great. I will have to get another batch of chicks in the spring as I am down to 5 hens that are getting pretty old. The one I took in this spring ended up being a roo and a skittish one at that. He may end up in the stewpot if he gets agressive. He is a big Bardroc and crows incessently. I have to admit that when he first started crowing he sounded like someone stepping on bagpipes - it cracked me up no end.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  11:07:41 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, it sounds like you will have a wonderful time with your housemate this winter. Lots of crafting going on I bet. Hope your weather gets nice, and your power problems worked out. Waiting on my new pullets to start laying. should be any day now.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  10:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Michele, A diz is used to pull a batt or combed wool through to make roving.

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Oct 10 2010 3:28:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  11:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I didn't know what a diz was either, so I did a quick search and found this video that explains it
Susan

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/using-a-diz.shtml
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  06:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Yah! I can't wait to get the books, Grace!

Lots of housework and cooking today. We are having a little company tonight because it is Stan's birthday. I probably won't sit down again once I get up from typing this! It is finally raining here. We have had a very long dry spell. I am not letting the sheep and goats out into the grazing pastures today. They will spend the day in their barns anyway with it raining, and the sheep dogs look like mud monsters already. They have plenty of hay in their pastures.

We have had coyote pack around a lot more lately, too. The chicken houses across the valley aren't smelling too lovely right now, so there may be something going on there that is keeping their interest. With the windows open at night, I sure do hear them a lot more often than I used to.

The new cotswold ram is coming around. He actually took a bite of hay from my hand last night. We named him Sampson because of his long curls. I just wish I could get those cutie-pie shetlands to settle a little bit. After almost a year, they still act like I am going to eat them everytime I enter the pasture. Boy, they have some marvelous fleece this year, though. We called and got shearing scheduled for the end of March, so I think we will breed the first week of November. I am trying to decide and get on paper who we are going to pair up, and who we are going to hold off on breeding this go round. Stan has one more cross fence to get up before then so we can split everybody up like we want to.

Well, off to get the day started! Have a wonderful week, everyone!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  10:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. Had a very wet weekend so no outside work got done as was planned. Now it's supposed to cool way down with possible frost tonight and tomorrow night so I guess it's time to move the baby lavender plants inside. My dog had another run in with a skunk Saturday night - this time really close to the house and the smell was incredible. I have never had one come so close to the house. Hopefully it was on it's way somewhere else. Nothing like trying to bathe a dog in the dark. It knocked the smell down some but he is going to get another peroxide bath this afternoon when it warms up a bit as I can still smell it on him. He's such a spoiled dog and usually sleeps on my bed.....hopefully I can get the lingering smell out today. I will also get the garden picked out as much as possible in case the weather lady is actually right this time.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page