windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  1:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Grace I love your stories. You are such a wonderful story teller. Hoping you get much needed rain. I found out today, my uncle is waiting to see if he still has a house or not outside of Boulder. Mother nature has ideas of her own. Hope all stays well for you.
The hard part of farming, ranching, is losing animals. We all love our animals, but it comes with the territory.
Angie hope you can find something that gives you some relief.
Sarita, you say you add grey or brown, so your dye colors are not so bright. Would that work for me to add to my red, blue and yellow dye colors? Making them a different shade? I would rather go with more earth tone colors. Congrats on the win for your grandson.
We will be going to a college game this Sat. Our son plays, so should be fun. I take the camera too, and end up with all kinds of pictures. We splurged and got a telephoto lens, so nice close ups from the stands.
take care all
stay safe
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  2:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Lori. i think it is wonderful that you are going to donate your cow to a worthy cause. At least she will be doing some good. If you put her in the ground, she will just go to decay. You should not apologize for that.

Grace, How scary. I will certainly keep you, and all those in danger in my prayers...and pray for some serious rain, too! I'll have to make a point of looking at your blog and reading the story of Juno.

Michele, I will also pray for your uncle's place.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Grace I am so sorry to hear that you had friends that lost homes in the fires. I have been thinking of you as I have watched the coverage on the news wondering how close it is to you. I will definately say a prayer for the rain and also for comfort for those who have lost so much. We have had our share of major fire losses in this area in years past so as the fire danger kicks up, we all become twitchy, especially when we get high winds as we have had over the past week or so. The clouds are moving in here and we may also get some much needed rain - I hope it continues on into your neck of the woods.

Lori, we have a large cat compound here called Cat Tails and many donate animals to them. I think it is far better to do that than waste what could be usable food for another. Here they will only take the animals while they are still alive even if it is a deer that died hitting the fence they won't take it. I commend you for donating her.

I loved the story about Juno - I have taken in Anatolian's in the past that were rescues and they will turn out to be wonderful animals with the proper care.

Sarita, you have a very handsome grandson. Congrats on such a great game. How sad that the sheep perished due to the heat. Those children must have been heart broken.

Monica - I hope the drywallers show up and get your house finished. This sure has been a long process for your family. How is Gary doing? Is he still walking with a cane?

Got my green beans blanched and in the freezer today and got a few blackberries. I hope the frost holds off as my blackberries are loaded and so are my tomatoes.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  5:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone! Well back to work Started the 7th with 16 students, we now are up to 20 already!!! Yikes could be a rough year as we always gain during the year. Just getting too old for this!

Busy canning yet, have one batch of spaghetti sauce that will get done tomorrow and then a small batch of just tomato and those will probably be done. Still have a few beets, squash and potatoes oh yeah and carrots.

Not much new here just trying to keep up!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  5:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi All! It's been pretty quiet over here of late. Hope all is well with everyone. It sure feels more like October around here than Sept.!! I hope the weather folks are right and it will warm up again next week. I'm busy picking and processing green beans and making spaghetti sauce for the freezer. Still have some beets to harvest too but am leaving them in the ground a bit longer until hopefully my stove finally gets here and I can use my pressure canner at long last....

I know the sheep are happier with the cooler temps. and have been more active during the day. Have they gotten the fires under control yet, Grace?

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  9:33:06 PM  Show Profile
Well I have great news!!! They actually got some of the dry wall put up today! Gary was over at the house and they got Isaiah's room done and the closet in the girls room! Hopefully the rest will get done soon!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  10:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Great news, Monica!!! I am so glad to hear that progress is finally taking place. Yea!!!

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  06:36:14 AM  Show Profile
Doing the Happy Dance Monica...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  3:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all! I still don't know how much longer it will be till we move, but at least there is real progress! They were also putting up the siding today! I can't wait to get moved and have all of that mess done with!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  3:41:38 PM  Show Profile
Monica,
It is great news. It does help so much, with your state of mind, just to see SOMETHING happening and some forward motion, doesn't it?
I'll keep praying that things continue to move forward at a steady pace.
God Bless.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  9:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Well I started working on my own website! This is going to be a lot of work, but I think it will look great when it done! I will let you all know when it's up and running!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  06:02:48 AM  Show Profile
JUST SOLD OUR 2 ICELANDIC/COOPWIRTH CROSSES WHEN DH took them to get sheared. I told him if we got an offer more than we bought them for, don;t bring them home! We didn;t do anything w/ them in the 3 yrs we had them, no breeding, only used their first fleece to make felt and half if it is still at the mill. I will put a plug in here for a little Cottage mill in Kalispell, MT called Going to the Sun Fiber Mill. The de-hair and process fiber all in one place and you only have to ship and receive from one location, no2 2 if you have alpacas or llamas, etc. Anyway, I don't spin, knit, or crochet. It interests me but my home and craft plates are FULL. Bertter for someone else to enjoy them! Goats are my thing anyway!!!

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  6:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Breeding season is almost upon us....Sheep have been sorted, Shetlands are in one lot, BFBL and crosses are in another lot and rams in another lot and the ram lambs that we will be selling are in another lot. Danny thinks that I should down size...that is going to be hard.

We have been putting up wire fencing and still have lots more to go. Electric fencing will not hold the shetlands so they were sorted into the short lot...(still have lots of room and some green grass). The big white goods won't cross an electric fence even if it is not turned on.

Monica, hope things go fast so you can get in your new home soon.

Brenda, did you get much hay? I have not started on the soakers yet. I am making a hat with earflaps for grand daughter...it has to be really cool since she is in Jr. High now.

Grace how are the new chicks?

Sheri, are you sending us some more cool weather soon? It has been just right today. Got a rain yesterday morning but it turned out to be a super day.

Rae, is your school doing any cuts?

Amy, welcome. I would have loved to see what the iclandic/coopworth cross wool looks like. Were they double coated?

Last week really wore me out. Working at school, traveling to Grandson's game and back to school for evening meetings. Yesterday after fencing I crashed but woke up ready to go this morning.

Everyone have a good week
God Bless
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  7:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening Ladies

Sarita - thanks for asking, the chicks are growning by leaps and bounds - I posted a new picture of them a couple of days ago.

Had a visit at the farm from my DIL and Grandson Reese - very nice visit and dinner together. Not much now in the way of work so today I thought I would get going but found that everything I worked on took way too much time and I made the mistake a laying down for a little nap and slept for three hours - guess I needed the sleep.

Hope everyone is getting caught up with their lists - fall is just around the corner. We had another fire happen up North - it is so so so dry I worry. I pray each day for some rain but so far nothing. Tomorrow I will have to give the trees here water because their needles are showing a bit of brown.

Well, almost ready for my Sunday PBS show - so have a great night everyone.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  7:48:47 PM  Show Profile
Amy, Welcome to the group!

Sarita, I went over to the house today and they do have a fair amount done! Half of the house is dry walled and they put up the siding on the one side. They were working on the back porch which may someday be my craft room. They did get all 3 windows put in on the one side! I am really praying that they keep working on it and get it done soon!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  8:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome ladies.
Sarita, I don't really know about the wool on those sheep. I just know Lily had a neat heather purple around her neck I thought was really pretty.

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN...

Wish I could stay home more to be a full time homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!

Edited by - granitelakegoatgirl on Sep 12 2010 8:22:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  10:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! I just wanted to let everyone know that I went to the doctor on Friday (Have been sick all weekend and finally getting around to posting) Everything looks great. We were able to hear the baby's heartbeat, a strong 167 beats/minute. We had to use the ultrasound to hear it because the little one was moving too much to capture it on the doppler. Already the baby is taking after me! LOL Even with all of the sickness, I actually gained 2 lbs in the last 4 weeks. I never thought I'd be relieved to hear that I gained weight. :) I only had 2 bouts with vomitting today. Things are looking up! Thanks for the prayers! You have no idea how much they are appreciated. Wayne and I went to the furniture store today. I'm taking Mom's advice and getting a super comfy rocker recliner to ease those middle of the night feedings.

Sounds like things are looking up for Monica! Congratulations! I'll keep praying for ya!

Brenda, Thank you so much for sending Mom those patterns! AND... congrats on the new grandbaby! When is Jessica due? I'm April 7th. I'm so happy for all of you. She's a stronger lady than I am. I think this will be my one and only. How is she anyway?

Lori, I'm so sorry to hear about the cow. I really think you'd be doing an admirable thing if you donated the cow to the rescue. I'm sure they are hurting in this economy along with everyone else. Good deed!

Grace, Any chance of rain for you yet? I'll be praying that relief comes your way. The unknown is always the hardest, but at least you're keeping a positive attitude and moving forward instead of letting fear take over.

Rae, you're such a busy lady! How in the world do you get it all done? You go girl!

Sheri, I'm still praying for your stove to arrive when it's supposed to this time and you can get caught up on all of your work.

I better hang it up for the night. Take care everyone!

Angie
Amy, welcome to the group. As you can tell we talk about everything. I don't actually own any sheep, but had the honor of helping my mom (Sarita) with her's and look forward to having my own one day.

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  04:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow,
You let one day go by and there is a LOT to catch up on!
Grace, I have been seeing the fires on TV...you are in my prayers still. I hope you get rain soon.
Monica, it looks like things are clicking along. How exciting for you. I'll keep praying for you, too.
Angie, So good to "see" you. I think Jessica is due April 22nd. She wants to do a home birth this time. My daughter is very "crunchy" as she describes herself! She is a dedicated breastfeeding, baby-wearing mama! She wants to be a breast-feedding consultant and a Doula, if you are interested in "wearing" your baby (actually, from a practical sense, it makes life so much easier), she can give you the low-down on every kind of back-pack, front-pack, sling or wrap that is out there! She is hoping I can come to Germany for the birth (I have been with her for three of the four she already has-amazing experiences). I told her it will depend on lambing time. I don't think Greg would appreciate it if I took off on him for our first lambing time! I hope it works out that I can be here for lambing and still make it to Germany for her little lamb's birth!
Sarita, I haven't counted the bales, but it looks like a lot! We haven't been able to get up with the guy, but we would like to keep about ten of the bales for ourselves.
Amy. welcome. This is a great group of ladies. Like somebody said, we talk about anything and everything.
On the home front, Greg left yesterday for Naples, Italy. He will be gone until next Sunday. This will by my first time totally alone on the farm! I know I can handle all the routine stuff...it's the unexpected I am hoping to avoid! Last night I went out to close the chickens in, and I couldn't find one of the banties. I am dreading telling him when he calls to check in. He loves those birds and we haven't lost one since we first got them. Of course, the first one would have to go missing on my watch! I am praying she miraculously appears out there this morning.
Well, the dogs are telling me it is time to go out and let all the animals out of their beds. So have a great day all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  05:47:59 AM  Show Profile
It's a miracle! I don't know how I missed her, but she was in the coop this morning! I will be able to make a good first night's report to Greg when he calls!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  07:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies! Welcome, Amy!

We haven't been very busy here. Friday morning I was planning to go to the city and buy grocieries when I finished the route, but there was a big 3 car wreck in town. No one was seriously injured, but there is only one way through our town, and when it is blocked, you are stuck. I guess God wanted me to stay home because I wound up dyeing some coopworth the most beautiful shades of sunset! The weather turned off beautiful for the weekend, so we got lazy. Stan took me grocery shopping Saturday instead, and we played "catch the Shetlands" that evening. Why is it that no matter how many briars you clean out of a pasture, the wildest sheep on the place still manage to get some tangled in their wool? I don't know how steer wrestlers do it. Those little Shetlands kicked my rear! Stan said it was hilarious to watch! We sat around on the front porch swing after church yesterday. Stan and the kids played football in the front yard until they wore themselves out, then it was take out pizza last night - I love coupons!

Sarita, since you are close to my region, when do you actually start breeding your sheep? We have been debating it. We were thinking maybe late October, early November, but we have never done this before. The only experience we have is with calves, and he doesn't like them born when it is still nasty outside because of the risk of pneumonia.

By the way, the tiger rescue wouldn't take the cow because she had been medicated. I feel sorry for my poor husband. He is now trying to decide what to do.

Angie, I sure hope you get to feeling better. Maybe you are on your way to getting past this stage! Lets pray for that! Take care!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  08:05:10 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies

The fires are still going and no rain till maybe Thursday. Our temps are to climb today so I will be starting the hoses to give everything close to the house some much needed water. The pastures crunch when you walk and now finding hay is top on the list...

Chicks are doing great - had two on top of the water this morning.

Welcome Amy to the group our messages where crossed so I did not see you here. Hope you find this group helpful. We talk about all types of things but getting to talk animals and fiber are dear to us all.

Sweet Casper my 17 year old Angora had a bit of a stomach issue Sunday but he is looking a bit better today. It is hard on this old timers sometimes - I feel it too some mornings.

Lori I am sorry to hear that you can not take you cow in - I was wondering about that because the one out here has that same rule. I am sure the you and your husband will do what is best. I will keep you in my prayers.

My girls went into early heat and so I could not deal with 19 males taking my fences down to get to the girls. So babies will come and I will deal with weather - besides you can't know when the worst of our weather will hit. It is the dance we do.

Brenda, glad to hear your little one was safe in the coop. Those silly sweet ones.

Angie, I hope your doing better and glad to hear that the baby is well.

Any news on the stove Sheri?? I thought of you will turning mine on - I have several hot plates I use for classes and I also have a separate roaster oven for large crowds. I am one of those while spinning or doing carding work what would I do if?? I run emergency plans thru my head so just in case something happens I might have thought it through before I am up to my eyeballs in alligators. I start this process and then feel so calm afterwards because I at least know I have plans. Nuts I know but when the you know what hits the fan I at least know where to run first. I guess that is because I was raised by a Mom who lived in Germany through the war and she trained us this way... I will keep my fingers crossed that your stove will arrive early and all will be well.

Well, better run - tons to do and more emergency plans to work thru!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  08:45:08 AM  Show Profile
Lori, the rams are put in with the ewes on the 2nd week of November or 1st of December so the lambs start hitting the ground in later March and April. This year I will take the rams out on Jan 15th. I don't like the blizzard, below 0 weather to lamb but I also don't think the lambs do well after May 1st.

Grace, you will be in my prayers. Stay safe.

Sheri, hope they deliver that new stove soon.

Brenda, glad no chickens are missing.

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  12:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Howdy to all. Grace praying you get the much needed rain, stay safe.
enjoying some lovely "Fall" weather lately. We are getting our share of rain. Trees are starting to turn too.

I am looking for any suggestions, on what I can do with my Cherry, Buttercup, and gosh can't remember the other color. Basicly red, blue and yellow dyes. Is there a way to mix in brown, to make more of an earth tone colors? While I like those colors, I would like more subtle colors I think. What would you all do????

I started cleaning up stairs yesterday. Washing walls, and making a sort of craft room out of the boys room. Moveing stuff and trying to organize things. What a job. I am maybe half way done, anyways. Will enjoy it when done.

I am progressing on my sweater. Working on a sleeve now. It is getting exciting to be almost done. Nothing fancy, but I will try to jazz it up some with toggles or something. Will have to spin more yarn yet to finish.

Have a great week
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  4:43:48 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I will be praying for Casper! I hope he is doing better! I will also be praying for rain!

Michele, Do you have a brown? If you don't then you could try adding just a pinch of red and yellow to the blue and see if that tones it down! A pinch of any two of the colors added to the third color would make a brown so maybe just a pinch of the two added to a main color might just tone it and not make it go completely brown!

Angie, I will keep praying that you feel better! I am so glad that the baby is doing well!

I decided after buying hamburger that said it was from Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the U.S. that I was going to start doing my own ground hamburger! I got an old meat grinder this weekend at an antique store in town and ground some today! I am going to use it for tacos tonight and I am really hoping that it comes out good!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  07:06:05 AM  Show Profile
Sarita ~ That is kind of the time line we were thinking. It can still be pretty nasty here in February, heck, it was nasty here still on spring break last year! But that was a strange winter anyway.

Michele~ how about mixing the red and blue to get purples? The yellow and blue to make green? A little of the yellow in with the red might make a nice warm brown like Monica suggested. I know how you feel. Even though I have several jars of dye, I still struggle to find color combos. I keep feeling like I am constantly repeating. I even got so desperate that I let my 10 year old son do some of the color choices this summer. One roving ended up bright red and blue - Superman colors - so it got a good dose of red re-dye to make shades of purple.

Grace ~ I hope the fires are still staying far, far, away from you. Been thinking about you!

Monica ~ Mom gave me a heavy duty meat grinder last year that she has had since I was a baby. I haven't got it out and tried it yet. Our small town grocery has awesome meat, I have known the butcher since I was a teen, and he is very good at what he does. My husband has a close friend that has a butcher store in the city, and while he has outstanding cuts, you sure pay for the quality. Ground beef just isn't going on sale around here very often any more, and I had thought about buying the roasts on sale and doing the grinding myself. Hmmmm. May have to try it! We have a steer in the pasture that we are growing off to split with some friends of ours, but it will still be several months until he is ready.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page