lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  12:00:09 PM  Show Profile
Monica - your wool is so pretty! It may be time consuming the way you are washing it, but to get those kind of results it is well worth it!

Came home from town while ago and noticed Dodger, the little dorper ram in the pasture with the wool girls. I thought "hmmm. guess we will have to put him up tonight when we feed." Did you catch that he is a ram? I got about halfway up the driveway when I completed the whole thought. Darn it! Backed the suburban back down there, called Stan to come home and help,and traipsed off into the pasture in my flip flops to catch him. Don't know what I was thinking. He is a wild one. After me and the dogs got him cornered (not that they helped much - they thought mommy was playing chase and it was so much fun!) I caught him and held on, got my foot stomped in the process and my arthritic crippled mother in law came out to see if she could help, bless her spirit! We carted him waaaaay down into the other pasture, far and away from the ladies. What geniuses we are for not thinking about that possibility. He had to go through two electric fences to get to them, and yes, they are still charged, but hey, anything for love, huh? Hope my toe isn't broke. Sure hurts, but as my daddy would say, you got 4 more, you won't miss that one working for a while!

Good news is that it is cooler! Yeah!!!

~Lori

ps - Grace, I caved and went back to Hobby Lobby, but only bought two huge skeins to make an afghan!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com

Edited by - lsarah on Aug 25 2010 12:01:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  1:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I think I am going to try washing out some of my other wool the same way! It does take longer, but I know I would not come anywhere near the same results by just washing it the regular way! I am able to get almost all of the VM out with the exception of just tiny bits here and there! One thing that helps is that it was sheared really nice so it's very easy to get a hold of just a lock and keep it intact! I need to try and get some sold and card some because I would really like to order more while I can! I am so sorry to hear about your foot! Do I dare say that maybe flip flops are not the best thing to wear around the sheep! :) I hope it is feeling better and I will say a prayer that it's not broke! I was out on the porch barefoot the other day and accidentally kicked a crate on the ground and it hit my baby toe and I nearly cried it hurt so bad!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  3:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I hope you will all bear with me while I gripe about something! I had found some alpaca listed on the Fleece for Sale Yahoo Group and I thought I would grab some because it was listed for 50 cents a pound! I found out that the owners are having health issues and want to sell it quickly! I figured worst case I could use it for felting! I e-mailed them and asked about the quality and staple length and didn't hear back from them so I called them and found out it was a typo and it was supposed to be $5.00 a pound. Now I can absolutely understand a typo as I once accidentally listed an orifice hook for .10 when it was supposed to be $10.00. Must have not hit the last 2 0's hard enough! The thing that gets me about the alpaca is that it wasn't listed .50, it was spelled out 50 cents so I don't see how you accidentally spell cents when you meant dollars! Oh well, I know $5.00 a pound would be a good price, but it's in Massachusettes and the shipping would make it not much of a better deal than the alpaca I get from Gery here!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  4:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Girls, school has started and the weather has cleared and we are haying, I will catch up with you all when I get a chance. I hope everyone is doing well. I am sure it won't be long before it is raining again so as they say...make hay when you got the chance.
Later all
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  7:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Monica, that is hysterical! I just can't get over people sometimes.

Okay ladies...The hay cutter is makin' hay!!!!! He isn't on our property yet, but he has cut all around us, and he is not wasting any time, We are figuring he will be ready to do us no later than Friday! So, YIPPEE!!! The weather is cooler, the hay's gonna get cut any day now, and things are looking UP, UP, UP!

The realtor called today and said someone is interested in our house down in Arkansas. SO thise who have been praying about our hay, now you can add prayers that these people buy our house! Then we can buy a tractor and the hay cutting/raking/baling equipment and MAKE OUR OWN HAY next year!

I made a start on my craft closet today, too! Okay, it was really just a scratch, but by tomorrow it will be a dent!

Sarita, best of luck on your haying. I hope the rain stays away until you get it all done.

Brenda

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  8:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I will be praying about the house and the hay! I think I finally figured out the ad! I think it was supposed to be .50 an ounce and they accidentally put in .50 a pound! I can see that because I have almost done that too! I guess when you deal in pounds and ounces so much it's easy to accidentally type the wrong thing! I am so glad to hear that you are having cooler weather!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  03:23:39 AM  Show Profile
The haying is under way in Wisconsin too. I finished cutting it all down last night. Today I will start round baling. My dad is going to rake. Then when he is done we will square bale 2 loads, and then round bale the rest. Will finish up baling Friday after work. Here's hoping no one has any break downs. The weather is perfect, lets all get it done!
Brenda I hope you can get your own equipment soon. While it is costly, not having to wait for someone else is well worth it.
Lori, I got a kick out of your story of catching that ram. Hope you foot is better! I can picture the dogs haveing such a good time too!
Monica I hope you find some alpaca. I have been thinking of getting some and mixing in with my wool. I have a friend with Alpaca's, so will have to ask her if she has any fleece left.
It was 46 here this morning, when I got up. 66 last night at 6;00. I wish it would stay this way!

Happy Baleing
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  03:41:16 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
I'm with you on the weather. And I think, too, it will be worth it to have our own equipment. Even if it takes years to pay us back.

Monica, I can see how that mistake could happen. I hope you find another good deal, since that didn't work out for you.

Lori, I hope your toe isn't broken. I too have worn flip flops out to feed the sheep (only because I was too lazy to come into the house to change), but learned my lesson after getting stepped on. It only took once! From then on I have become much more diligent about getting my crocks on (crocks in summer, muck boots in winter). Now all I worry about is them bumping my legs with their horns! But I'm still not gonna change out of my shorts into trousers when it's hot out, bumped legs or not!

Have a good day, everyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  07:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. I think I finally finished with the mouse clean up - at least for now. I got rid of a lot of stuff, mostly things people gave me that I really didn't want or need and cleaned up mountains of mouse poop. I still need to wash linens that they ran through but fortunately no damage. What a job. It's nice to have everything clean and organized though. My pantry is all spic and span and scrubbed within an inch of it's life. I think now I will take a couple of days to just recouperate!

I can't believe that you had a Vole just stroll in the door, Grace. When do you get your chickens? I love baby chicks. It's been almost 4 years since I did a batch and my girls are starting to slow down so will have to do another batch probably next spring. How are you feeling? Better I hope. Have you found your hay yet?

Monica your wool looks great. You have more patience and/or time than me to wash it so carefully. How funny about the fiber pricing - it happens to the best of us.

Lori, I hope your toe is better. I had to laugh at the thought of you running around in flip flops trying to get that ram. Ah, life on the farm!

I hope your hay cutter shows up, Brenda and your house sells too.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies

Sheri glad you are all now back together and organized - there is no better feeling. I have a window of Sept 1 thru the 4th - I am still getting thing ready. My last white hen is not acting too spry today - hope she is not going down hill...I am feeling better and thanks for asking. I still am not 100% but I keep saying to myself it could be worse and at least for now I am moving.

Monica, sorry you did not get the alpaca - the shipping would have been the most expensive part. I spent 5 hours in front of the carder doing a blend of Alpaca, Mohair, Corriedale, Bunny and Cashmere. I will be including in this fiber offering some great ribbon yarn for folks to do special Art Yarn spinning. I think it really turned out great.

The computer issues are still here but not always and the computer guy is backed up so I will keep it here until he gets a window open. I will be back in town Tuesday watching Reese - then on next Friday Nick, Brooke and Reese will be visiting her parents in WI. So I am trying to get everything in it's place. I will also be bringing products to the retail store in town for their Labor Day Sale. So I better get back to work. Have a great day ladies and Congrat's on getting the haying started...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  12:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Monica - I got some Suri alpaca earlier this summer and love it! I had never worked with it before. I have a small amount of second cuts from a regular alpaca, and it is so soft.

I haven't been working on my fiber much the last couple of weeks, shame on me! There just aren't many sales in August with school starting back up and I am not motivated very much because of it. Today I cut out the flags that I am helping with for the high school band's flag line. I am going to try and make my half tomorrow.

Went to the fair this morning to check out the home economics. Like I said, first time in probably 15 years I haven't entered a thing. Ladies - it was BARE! I was shocked. There were only 12 items in the clothing section! Only about 100 jars of canned items! Only 2 sunflower heads and one pumpkin! We live in a fairly rural area, too! Well, next year, hopefully by this time next year I will entered a whole bunch of stuff!

I think my foot is fine, just hurts. All I could think about was hair sheep/wool sheep combination babies from my lovely wool sheep. I don't think he was in there long enough to romance any. I hope. He is going to a new home tonight. This lady has bought several dorpers from us and she loves them so much they get treats every night as well as kisses.

Have a great day, ladies!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  7:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all who were praying...they started cutting our hay today! Woohoo! They did about half today, and will finish the cutting tomorrow. They should also start baling tomorrow.
Temps are lower, hay is getting cut...wonderful week! Only one thing would make it more perfect...that we'd get an offer on our house!

I did make a dent in my craft closet today. Sarita, I found some knitted soaker patterns. Are you still looking for some? If so, how would you like me to get them to you?
Also, can I ask who shears your sheep? Do you do it or hire someone? Do you get them shorn in the fall like the Icelandics are done?

Have a good evening all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  06:52:23 AM  Show Profile
Brenda about shearing - I have done all my own and hired myself for many years. I shear Llamas, Alpacas, Sheep, Goats and Yes even Buffalo and Yak. I have also worked with many shears at large shear day's - over two hundred a day - tons of work but tons of fun too..

I do my own because I know what I want from the fleece and I also want my animals treated right. Good luck.

Still having computer issues but my guy is still not available so I make it work. Also, bad news the last of the White Hens passed this morning. She went I think out of missing her dear friend. She would not eat even with her favorite treats so now down to the one but the 31 chicks are coming next week so I will clean the coop down, disenfect everything and think happy thoughts of my old gals while preparing for the new little ones.

Have a great day ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  08:59:55 AM  Show Profile
Hello all, been awhile... Was kind of at a crossroad here. I was trying to decide whether to keep my sheep, get cattle to replace or hold on and go both. Put it in prayer and so far feel we will go both. The man I want to trade a ewe with called this morning to see if it was still a go Been kind of overwhelmed but feel a calmer place setting in and think we can do this. We want both no matter what just where to prioritize kind of thing. My BIL said I can keep some cattle in his barn, just across the field so....

Busy canning and freezing stuff, getting wood stacked and ready and back to work for meetings on Tuesday but the checks will help.

Hope all are well.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  3:59:24 PM  Show Profile
I finished baling this afternoon. Yahhh I am tired out too. My dad raked so that was a big help. I think that made him happy. He didn't like sitting on his deck and watching me do all the work.
Good luck Rae on whatever you decide to do.
Grace your chickens had a good life with you. Wishing you luck with your new little ones.
Brenda and Sarita, hope your haying is going well too.
Lori, at our county fair, I went to the open class building, and there was no clothing, foods, etc. I could not believe it. Though quite a few years ago now, they quit giving preiums to open class. It is too bad.Going to relax the rest of the evening. Should do something, but not gonna! I think. :)
Have a great weekend.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  11:31:23 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a week this has been! The humidity has been unbelievable, but we finally got some rain! Wednesday night we had thunderstorms and only a tiny bit of rain, but we lost power for about an hour. Thursday we got a ton of rain and then last night we got another thunderstorm and the power was out until 4 a.m. I have to say it was nice when the power came back on and the fans too! Today is cooler but still a bit sticky!

Michele, Glad to hear that the haying is underway! I have some alpaca from a guy that is here in Arizona, but I thought I had found one heck of a deal! I may still get some from this other guy, but I am waiting on samples he is sending me! If the samples are nice, it would still not be too bad of a price for $5.00 a pound!

Grace, I hope that you and your hen are feeling better! I will continue to pray for both of you!

Lori, I have thought about putting some things in the county fair, but I always seem to miss it! Maybe next year when things have slowed down! We took the kids to the fair last year and it was fun to see all of the animals, but everything else was so incredibly expensive! Cost a small fortune to set even a little bit to eat and then we let the kids ride on the carousel, but that still was like $3.00-$4.00 for each one of them to ride! There seem to be more rides than anything else and most of them were too big or too much for the kids to go on! They did have a building with vendors and exhibits, but the exhibits were off to the side and we completely missed them!

Rae, I will be praying that everything works out! That would be cool to have sheep and cows!

Sheri, I am not sure about the patience or time for washing fleece, but it looks so nice when it's done! I have been washing a little bit here and there so now it's starting to add up but I still have a lot that isn't washed! Hopefully the washed pile will get bigger that the unwashed pile soon!

Brenda, I am so glad to hear that your hay is getting done!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  3:49:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited. The lady called me and we are to start my spinning lessons on Monday! Yipee! I believe we are going to start with carding, then spinning, and soon weaving!

Hay is all cut...now they just need to bale it.

It's been a good week here, but very busy. I put up 12 pints of applesauce, 6 qts of apple pie filling, and today did up two batches of apple butter. Don't know how much it cooked down to yet, it is still cooling in the pans.

Grace, we really like our one Americauna hen and want to get some more. We plan to get a variety of chicks when my grandkids visit fron Germany in October.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  5:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am excited for you!!! Have fun!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  6:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Monica~ Don't know about your fair, but if you go to ours early in the day, like 10:00, you don't have to pay to get in! Also, ours gives all exhibitors a free one person pass to visit as many times as you like. I don't let my kids ride the rides for two reasons - too expensive and I just can't bring myself to trust the stability of the rides. We go and look at the animals and exhibits and I usually buy two funnel cakes that we all share. I keep water in my purse! At the big state fair in Fort Smith, you have to pay to park, usually $5, and get in, $7 each.

There have been many years that I paid our personal property taxes with premium money!

I kinda envy all you ladies that get to bale your own pastures. We don't have enough land to graze and bale. We have 60 acres of family land, but it is 45 miles away, and just isn't cost effective to haul it getting 9 miles to the gallon fully loaded! I love to drive the tractor and can spend hours brush hogging, so I think I would enjoy baleing.

Brenda ~ I am sure you will have a blast learning to do everything! It is so addictive!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  10:14:24 PM  Show Profile
Lori, Ours has passes for the exhibitors also. I am not too keen on the rides either! Some of them look downright scary on the basis that when the fair is over they pack them up and haul them off! The other down side is that it is an hour away!

Well today was an absolutely beautiful day! It was 80 and not humid at all! In fact I even had a sweater on in the morning and I have one on now! The rest of the day was not so nice! I was trying to make an apron that a friend in town wants to buy and I goofed up everything on it! It normally would have taken less than an hour and yet two hours later I still didn't have it done and my sewing machine was acting up! I tried to spin for a while to finish my sock weight yarn and it was just not drafting as nice as it was last night! Couldn't seem to get into that groove! The kids were arguing over everything today and I have a bit of a headache! I also talked to my mom today and found out that her cousin Nancy passed away yesterday! she was 71 and in very good health, but she broke her leg a week ago and ended up dying from a blood clot! I feel bad because my mom is so far away and I can't really comfort her much over the phone! I am really homesick to move back to Ohio!

Hope everyone had a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  07:14:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh Monica I am so sorry for the difficult day - today is a new one and I hope it goes smoothly. I am sending peaceful thoughts to your mother and to you - I am sure your words where of comfort in a time of sadness and loss.

As for the lack of groove - sometimes it is best to set it down and come back later - I too try and push through sometimes and only create a mess and more work to do. Last night I was carding some batts and just had to stop not because it was not working but because I am also trying to learn when to stop!!! Hard lesson for this gal but no lesson worth learning is ever easy.

Have a great day ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  08:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Well, going for both, cattle and sheep. Just can't part with what I have learned and have going. I have a place for my calves this winter and then will go from there, one step at a time

Busy canning/freezing, cutting and stacking wood, and big wedding this weekend. SIL is getting married for first time! We are all so excited for them but lots of family coming this week. Will be good. Back to work for the day tomorrow, meetings

Hope all are well.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  09:01:56 AM  Show Profile
Grace, Today is going much better and the weather is still great! It's such a nice break from sweating every day! I did sit and spin last night and it went very nice! In fact before I realized it, it was almost 1 a.m.! Now I am debating on putting the 2 bobbins together and spinning another single to ply with it! I also sold a set of batts on etsy so that was nice! I have a bunch of things to list on etsy so hopefully I will get them up today, but for right now I need to get the kids started on school! I have to go to the market today and hopefully I will be able to meet up with the other spinner, Julia that lives down in Bullhead City! I talked to her last night!

Rae, I am glad that you are going for both!I hope you have a nice week with the wedding!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  10:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Sounds like everyone has been busy. I'm with you Grace on trying to learn when to quit before I regret it. Glad to hear your day is going better than yesterday, Monica.

Weather here has been unseasonably cool - down to 37 at night but no frost thank goodness. It's like the "Fall" switch got thrown and the summer was over just like that. We had a really big wind storm on Thursday with 45 mph winds and dust like the dust bowl. Ripped the roof off of part of the high school. There were lots of fires in the area but none near enough to me to be a threat. Makes me really jumpy as we had a fire storm about 12 years or so ago and it burned many many houses all around this region. You know it's bad when the sheep go inside to get out of the dust.

Still working on my cleaning and purging. It will be nice to have everything all cleaned out. Got a call from a girlfriend of mine who asked if she could winter with me this year. I am really excited as she is a fantastic artist and we will be inspiration for each other. It will be an adjustment to having a full time housemate after living alone for 5 years but I have to admit it will be nice to have a hand with the chores. If it all comes to pass, she will come in November.

Hope everyone is having a great day. Back to work for me....

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  11:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Okay, ladies, I need some real world input. We have two neices on my husband's side, not sisters, but cousins. Neice #1 became pregnant 2 years ago at age 17, had a gorgeous baby boy, then got married. Needless to say, they were not financially well off, so they live with her mom and dad, and the new hubby has since left for basic training in the Army. She and the baby will be leaving in 4 months to go clear across the country to an Army base. They are going to have a shower for her in a couple of months since she did not have a wedding shower because of the circumstances of living with her parents.
Neice #2 is 32 years old. She has lived on her own since she was 18, and the last 2 1/2 years with her husband to be. Both have nice jobs and make more than my husband and I, even when I was working. She up and announced this last weekend that they will be having a wedding in early October. No children under 10 invited. She would prefer we wear solid colors.

Here is where I need advice, and be forwarned, I am about to become as we southern ladies call it, "tacky". Neice #1 needs everything. I have been planning to give her several items for her home and kitchen when she leaves, several hand made items, regardless of whether or not she was to have a shower. (I am almost done with an afghan, am making her a recipe book, etc.)She is very appreciative of everything. Neice #2 doesn't need much since she has had her own home for so many years. She generally has the best and most expensive of anything. She is very picky, and doesn't mind to tell you that she likes such and such that you just gave her, but did it come in any other color? After showering at my home once she wanted to know if I had any softer towels. You know the type. I don't hand make any of her gifts, and breathe a sigh of relief when no one in my family draws her name at Christmas. I know I could give her money or a gift card, but like I said, she already has more than us. Told you I was going to be tacky.

Would you make sure to equal gift? I feel guilty not, but their circumstances are so vastly different. I had even thought about giving equal gifts at showers, but giving Neice #1 the rest of hers on the sly and hoping the other doesn't find out.

What do you think? Sounds silly, but this young woman can be pretty good at embarassing you in front of lots of people if she has cause. Ask me how I know. They ain't a pretty stories.

~Lori

Edited by - lsarah on Aug 30 2010 11:59:27 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page