Page: of 157

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  05:28:53 AM  Show Profile
Off to our county fair here in a little bit, I just love those things!
I get very excited when baseball season starts and even football I must say. I had to just stand and watch the the breaking new of Farve being back with the Vikings
Hubby was an exceptional football player in HS and college. I was the softball junkie. Actually I think I like it cause I can do so many things at same time, not that I have to just sit.
I can't wait for the Christmas shows to come on!! Big hallmark movies

Ok, off to fair!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  06:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I am a Farve fan too! I am a Cardinal baseball fan, even though we aren't doing as well this season. I enjoy watching the hs teams too. My grandson plays hs football for the Trenton team and we go to a couple games but most are so far away. I played basketball and softball too. I played slow pitch sb until I was in my late 20s. Have fun at the fair!

We a 1.8 inch rain last night so no haying today. But as soon as it drys any, we are mowing and baling.

Brenda, I forgot to say that I also watch the gums of the sheep, if they get light pink or white, I worm that sheep. My ewe that had bottle jaw is doing much better. The jaw is down and she is eating like a piggy.

Lori, is bus driving what you expected?

Sheri aren't you relieved that you got that closet cleaned out? I need to tackle my closet upstairs but I always end up with it being full.

Girls, hubby needs breakfast so I better go get that done.

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  07:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Monica, thanks for the heads up - I had not had a chance to read about WEB.com That sure would not work for me... I will check out yours but remember I have enough pokers in the fire that right now I have no time to add to them.

We had another storm last night which was great sleeping weather but I must admit we have mushrooms growing in the dry pastures. Not complaining because I have not had to have one fire watch day here but I will watch animals closely for anything new. With the cool air breezing this morning the smell of the billies moved around the farm quickly - Nothing Like BILLIES!! Luckly I LOVE THEM...

Well, better get busy hope everyone has a great day - be safe out there.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  1:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies! Well, today is the worst day yet as far as nausea goes. I wish I had a better report. I'm hangin' in there with a cool wet rag on my neck though. For now, you guys are a good diversion.

Hey Lori, you should have Mom tell you about some of her bus driving experiences. She had some awful teenagers on her bus. I think she had to come up with some "creative" punishments. Times have changed though and I bet kids get away with a lot more than they used to. I used to love riding on her route with her.

Oh hey, Sunday Night Football, Favre is playing! I'm also a Brett fan. Wayne is not a football fan at all and last year I missed the whole season basically up to the play offs. I told him that this year will be different. I'm hooking up another tv in the bedroom so I can watch. Who knows, maybe I'll convert him. :)

Rae, you are a woman after my own heart! I love fall and all of the sensations that come with it. Every year, the first cold day, I immediately run out to get chili fixin's. I love the first football game of the season. I drool at the thought of watching the first snowfall. Nostalgia hits me every year. I always dread the heat though.

Ladies, Rae brought up something that got me to thinking. She said that she was very sick with the girls during pregnancy and not sick at all with her boys. Did any of you others have the same experience? Mom how about you? I've read several times that women that experience more morning sickness end up having girls. Just wondering....

Well, I better give myself a rest. I'll check back later.

Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  2:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Well, Angie, my morning sickness was definately worse with Jessica than it ever was with the three boys. I never thought about it being because she was a girl. I just figured it was because she was my first. But, who knows, I guess it could be.

Sarita, How did you treat the bottle jaw? I am throwing everything I can think of at mine...garlic, ginger, molasses (ram likes it, but the girls don't seem to), plus a little extra sweet feed and minerals, some elecrolytes in the water, plus ACV, I will check them out good Monday and anybody who looks suspect will get some Safeguard.

My husband grew up in Iowa and has been a life-long, die-hard, fair-weather and foul, fan of the Vikings. He is very happy that B.F. is back! I quit following football when the Colts left Baltimore! Not that I was ever much of a follower. I prefer to watch soccer, but I
like to watch all the big games of most of the sports. Of course, I'm usually in the kitchen fixing the snacks!

I'm trying to figure out what happened to the cooler weather we were promised. I too, am a fall fan. I love fall colors, fall clothes, fall food, fall temps. It has always been my favorite season. Spring is second, winter third, and summer comes in dead last!

Still have not seen hide nor hair of the hay cutter. I am tempted to call him and BEG him to come this week! Next year we just HAVE to find a way to do it for ourselves. I don't want to go through this again.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  2:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Angie I am not going to be the example here - I had only boys!! I must say with my first Nick - who I was told was a girl - all the tests and the whole nine yards I have very little morning sickness. We all where shocked when he came out and was a fine healthy boy. We where told we could never have kids and they where all very concerned when we did because my husband was full of medical issues and back then very experimental treatments, drugs and the like. In fact Nick had more medical articles written about his life then one wants to count. Then came my second son four years later and Conrad tried to come early with tons of issues so I was on bedrest for 3 1/2 months. That was a nightmare. Hospitalized five times and hundreds of issues but all in all he came out perfect and past due. With him I had only about a week of sick stomach. So see, I wished I could say that you can count on being sick as a predictor of sex, or anything else. As I told my DIL, no pregancy is the same because no mother is the same. Just enjoy every day even the bad ones...

My husband and I were so blessed - because rooms full of doctor's said that my two sons would never be. Nick is still followed and now his new son Reese is also a medical marvel. Out of the 23 ladies who went into early labor I was the only one who went to term with a perfectly healthy baby - the doctor's never gave us good odds about Conrad at all but between him and I we beat the odds. Just know that you are given a gift and sometimes it is wrapped in sandpaper but it is a wonderful gift to be loved, upset stomach and all.

I will keep you in the circle of healing light and just know this too will pass.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  5:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Ang, I wasn't very sick with any of you except my first, Amy Anne. Just remember like I have always told you, nothing comes easy that is worth much. Girls, remember first the morning sickness, the cramps, the heartburn, and the back aches, no energy, wanting to take naps, and then the last month thinking the day will never get there. But when you hold that new baby in your arms the first time, you almost forget the last 9 months. I know you feel awful now but in a month or two, you won't be as sick.

Brenda, does your sheep have the bottle jaw now or are you watching for bottle jaw? I don't want to alarm you but if so, give them the wormer right away and a dose of Pencillin if you have it. Once bottle jaw is present, your sheep is in a dangerous stage of having a dangerous infestation of worms. Garlic and all are used for prevention but won't get rid of the infestation of the worms. I put out chopped garlic during the summer, don't really know if it works and this is not the year to relie on it. The flies lay their eggs on the lower 4 inches of the grass in pastures and really thrive on this wettness we are having. Then we have to let the sheep eat the short grass (the lower 4 inches) which makes it worse because we have not got the hay put up so we can put them in clean pastures. I ended up having Danny to mow a strip across the hay field and ran an electric fence yesterday morning so the sheep could have taller grass to eat. I am also feeding hay and sheep pellets. It will get better in the fall with the first frost.

I am also waiting for fall. Cooler weather, soup and homemade bread days. Fall sports. We are watching Tampa Bay and KC Chiefs right now and the Cardinals (Danny runs the remote). I made it to the Amish store, H&M, in Jamesport and got my spices and some treats to have on hand. I love the sugar free vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate wafer cookies that they carry. I also got a bag of Swiss Mocha Cappuccino Mix, it is really good. They had some bushels of peaches but I just didn't feel like I had the time to work them up and work at school too. They have goat cheese, many other really good cheeses, real homemade butter, brown eggs, and I filled up a big box. I always get a big bag of chopped dehydrated onions, sloppy Joe mix, celery seed, etc. I get plastic contains or bags of my spices and come home and put them in glass jars and seal with the seal a meal. Hope you can go there sometime Brenda.

I am going upstairs and blend some silk with some of my wool so I can spin some yarn for socks. I also need to work on Cuddles wool so I can start spinning for my Cuddles sweater. Our baby in Nebraska has had lots of ear infections and even ear surgery to put in tubes so he needs a hat with ear flaps. My list is long ladies!

Need to go chore so I can get started.
Many blessings your way
Sarita

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  8:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh, No, Sarita, none of them has bottle jaw. I just meant that, if they look pale. Monday will be 14 days since they had the Cydectin. I am doing the natural stuff and extra efforts to try and keep them from getting to that point. I thought that i had to wait 14 days before drenching them again. That's why I said, if anyone looks suspect on Monday (14 day point), I will dose them again. In the meantime, I'm trying to do what I can to make sure they are at optimum health so that they won't get too overcome if they do have some worm issues.
Thanks for your concern and I will keep you posted.
Oh, I have LA200 on hand. If someone where to come down woth bottlejaw, should I drench them and give them a dose of that as well?
Someone told me to give them BoSe if they had bottle jaw, but someone else told me that won't do anything for bottlejaw. Thankfully noone has had it, and I am praying no one will. I am with them every day, so I can keep a close eye on that. I will be so happy when the temps cool down.
As I said, I will keep you posted on how we are doing.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  04:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Okay girls, a Packer Fan here......that is all I will say!! ;) :)
Sarita, I got some hay down! Yah Hoping it will be ready late today. If not I will bale tomorrow. Did some old seedings. Couldn't do one field, as too wet. Standing water in the bottom of the field. It is on a hill side too. Looks like I will beable to finish cutting on Tuesday, as we have a few days of sunny weather coming again. Threat of rain Monday night.
Sounds like I should worm my sheep also. Only have 2, and have never wormed them. They are in excellant shape.
Is it best to just pick up some wormer from a farm store, or better to go to a vet?
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  08:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey everybody!

Michele, I was once a Cheesehead when Bret played for them. LOL! Just had to see if I could get your goat. Hee hee! On a different note though: I don't have sheep, but I helped Mom on her farm and I'm sure everyone will chime in here, If your sheep are in great shape and show no signs of having worms (runny stool, pale gums, acting squirrely, enlarged jaws similar to what it would look like if they had the mumps, worms in the stool, etc), there is no need to worm them. Matter of fact, it's best not to. The parasites can build a resistance to wormer, basically mutate so it's no longer effective. Many sheep owners rotate the wormers they use to "try" to avoid that from happening. If your sheep are happy and healthy, just enjoy them and keep an eye on there stool and how they act. I suspect if you only have 2 sheep, your chances of them getting worms are greatly decreased. (Now, we'll see if Mom chimes in noting how well she taught me) LOL

So far, so good today. Yesterday I realized I ate some leftover roast that was quite fatty. I think that's what made things flair up. I feel much better today and will chalk that one up to a learning experience. I really consider myself blessed because I know the sickness could be much worse. I'm so thankful for the little one growing inside of me and no morning sickness or otherwise will override that. I was just curious about the correlation between morning sickness and the sex of the baby because I'm so excited to find out what I'm having. Thanks for the input everyone.

Brenda, you sound like one stressed mama! I'm putting you on my prayer list. I know it's stressful. Keep your chin up!

I hope everyone is doing well today. Take care!

Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940

Edited by - Little Red Caboose on Aug 22 2010 10:17:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  09:40:38 AM  Show Profile
That's my girl! Well said Angie, you were really listening. I could not have said it better! I am willing all my sheep and sheep equipment to you! (Is that a blessing or a curse?) Glad you are feeling better today.

Brenda, whew, I was thinking that I might need to drive over and help you with those sheep! I think you will be OK. Just hope you can get them on a clean pasture so they do not become reinfected. Put the BoSe away girl and just give them good sheep mineral. LA 200 will work as well as the Pcn.
I started carding and blending White Knight's white silky fiber with dyed soy silk and what a wonderful blend. The colors are going to be very muted. I was going to make socks but it is looking and feeling like little Brandon is getting a new knitted hat with ear flaps. I will try to put some pictures of the blend up on my blog later today.
It is going to be hot again today. Last night choring, I was not working hard at all but sweat was just dripping off of me...and I am a Southern Lady that does not sweat! OK, once in a while when I am piling small square bales or in the garden but I do shower as soon as I get a chance. Hubby teases me about taking 3 showers some days.

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  12:13:20 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is having a good day! It is still miserably hot and humid here! I have been washing some merino/targhee I got and it's coming out really nice, but I still have so much more to wash! I have been trying to get my fiber area cleaned up so I can get some more yarn and batts done! what fiber stuff are you all working on? I have to say that I am not a football fan, but I did get to watch the race yesterday only problem was, my driver got wrecked half way through the race! Not good at all considering he was in second place at the time and ended up finishing 35th!

Brenda, I hope the sheep are doing well!

Angie, I am glad you are feeling better today!

Sarita, If you still have that pound of Shetland, I would like to get it from you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Just email me Monica when you need it, I will go upstairs and find it.

We watched a movie on Hallmark channel and now football, I am spinning while we watch.

Later
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  3:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear your doing better Angie - I know fatty things did not sit will with me during that time too. I hope that in no way you thought I was thinking you where not grateful for that little one. I just know I had two boys and no sickness but tons of other issues so I could not prove the theory by my experience. In fact today I had my Oldest son Nick, his wife Brooke and their new baby Reece here - Brooke was sick as a dog with Reece but she normally has a touchy stomach so again no help here from the Gerber's. I really hope you did not take what I was trying to say the wrong way - It is just Grace saying it wrong.

I am doing that Happy Dance because today we finally finsihed the driveway work. Tons of rock and dirty work but we got it done. Yes, with a temp of 95 out but it is done and ready for winter...

Sorry to hear about your driver Monica.. I do not know much about it but still sad to hear... Brooke brought all the seasons over of Lost so I will be working at the picker and carder for this week - pure heaven. I have some great fibers dried and ready to go. Monica I can not wait to see your new batches...

Hope all has a great rest of the day and a cooler work week.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the words of wisdom about worming Angie. I did check Jacks gums this morning. And Jack is nice and healthy pink. No dirty rear ends either.
Now I had 3 boys also. I had a feeling with each one, it was a boy, and I was right. Another thing a nurse told me one time to turn around in front of her. Okay she wanted to see my butt. Butt size stays about the same, its a boy, butt gets big, a girl. :) It is a fifty fifty shot!! But she was right! Then there is the old wives tale, about carrying it high, its a girl, low its a boy. Will you be finding out ahead of time what your having? Or will you wait and see.
Baling tomorrow. Will round bale, as I want to get it up, and I have to work. 40 percent chance of rain over night. They are changing that, numbers going down.
Glad to hear your driveway is done Grace. I also love you yarn colors on your blog. So very pretty.
In the fall weekends are spent watching football. WE watch my son play college ball on the internet, if we can't make it to his game, which is real nice. Then Sundays watch the Pack! (without iffy Farve) He He
Take it easy all
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  5:33:41 PM  Show Profile
It's warm again today. Please be praying for us that this guy gets here to cut our hay this week. He is now a month late. And since he doesn't call back very promptly, there's hardly any use in calling him. I just hope he hasn't had a heart attack or something and we would never know about it! We'd still be sitting here in October waiting for him!

Sarita, you are too kind to worry about me and my sheep. You don't know how it warmed my heart to get your message. I will tuck those numbers away for safe-keeping in case I need you.

I think one thing I am learning is how to rely on my instincts and my own judgement about things. Seems like, if I just take my time and think it through, I end up doing okay.

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend. Ours has been very busy. Greg is in Trenton preaching tonight. He preached a special meeting yesterday in Iowa, preached at Trenton this morning and then again this evening. I stayed at home tonight to take care of the critters. He will get home a bit later than we normally tuck them in for the night, so it is a good excuse for me to get to just stay home and relax a bit. Sometimes all the traveling preaching wears me out. He likes for me to go along, but I am always pointing out that most other wives whose husbands travel to preach do not go along. I really don't mind going and I enjoy his preaching, I just get so worn out when there is so much of it in one weekend, or even too many weekends in a row.

Well, I'm going to head out and check on everybody. My puppies are begging to go out and play for a bit.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  6:09:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh no Grace, I didn't take it the wrong way at all. Thank you so much for checking, but I just had a "mommy feeling" that I had been complaining too much about being sick. I guess I was protecting my unborn child from my own complaints is all. You know how you get the feeling that anything you say will effect the child inside you? That's the feeling I had. Your story is amazing and I'm so glad everything worked out for you and your little ones (Not so little anymore).

Michele, I just have to ask, What if the butts already big to begin with? LOL I do plan to find out early. I know that I wouldn't be able to wait. I've never been patient with gifts. I was the child who would unwrap their Christmas presents to see what she got and wrap them back up so no one would notice. I even took notes on the direction the pattern on the wrapping paper was facing and what kind of fold was done on the ends. Before anyone says, "Poor Sarita!" let me tell you that I found out a few years ago she did the same thing as a child! Weird huh?

I called Mom today to have a laugh about how much I really DO listen to her. I love ya Mom!

Brenda, I'm so sorry your hay man is being so unreliable. I'll be praying for you!

Smiles,
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940

Edited by - Little Red Caboose on Aug 22 2010 6:10:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  08:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. What a lot to catch up on. Long weekend for me dealing still with mice infestation. I knew it was bad but....I caught 30 in the snap traps in my kitchen and pantry area in a 24 hr. period!!!!! This is really creeping me out. I am beginning to feel like Dr. Death or something!! Haven't caught any since yesterday so will move the traps upstairs today while I attack the mess in the pantry. I have been here for 30 years and have never had a mouse problem like this and certainly not in summer. Okay - enough whining.

Hope you are feeling better Angie. I never had a lot of sickness when I was pregnant but I got more with my son than my daughter. I don't think there is any set formula.

Have you heard from your hay cutter, Brenda? I will keep that one in my prayers. I hope he shows up soon. Maybe you need to search for someone else to do it next time.

Glad to hear you got your driveway finished, Grace. Have your temps cooled off? It has been downright chilly here last couple of days - it was 37 this morning but fortunately no frost. It's up to about 45 now.

How is your wool washing/prep going, Monica? I still have one fleece to do but have to deal with this mouse thing first. I really want to get some dying done too but it too will have to wait a bit. I never even got to finish the plying of the lace weight - it's still sitting on the wheel.

How was the fair, Rae?

Sounds like you have a lot of projects going, Sarita. It must be hard to go back to work.

Guess I can't avoid my pantry any longer - time to get to work. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  09:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls - I am so ready for some cooler weather! Weather guesser says maybe high 80's sometime this week. Here's hoping so! Our water bill is higher due to all the extra showers, but thankfully, we are using much hot water so the electric bill isn't suffering!

Other than the heat, I am really enjoying the bus driving. Sweet, sweet little kindergarten babies are the biggest joy. I had one Friday that didn't know her name, much less where she lived. She told me she was going to sit with her best friend, and when I asked her what that little one's name was, she answered "best friend". Luckily big brother got on and he knew the routine. Being home during the day is weird. I am still in the mindset of going to work on Monday so I feel like I have to get everything done on the weekends. It is really a blessing already!

The cow with the c-section is doing well. She is back to blowing snot on me every time I go in the pasture. Her cranky mama did the same thing. Only two cows that have ever done that to me intentionally and regularly. She gets her stitches out this weekend. Can't say as her scar will help her win any bikini contests, but it is healing up nicely!

Grace - new chicks? How fun! We are down to 9 hens and 2 roosters, but we are getting between 4 and 10 eggs an evening. We are staying well supplied as well as my mother in law and all the neighbors. No egg recalls to worry about here! We hope to add 6 more chicks this spring.

I have started planning out Christmas presents. Last year Jessica told me two days before Christmas that she wanted mostly hand made stuff under the tree. I told her she needed to place a call to Santa if that was going to happen in that short of a time period! Made the mistake of going to Hobby Lobby Saturday evening. They have loads of yarn on clearance and I stood and petted a bunch, but amazingly did not walk out with a single skein. I think the fact that Stan was with me kept me in check. Problem is, I keep thinking about all I saw and what I could make with it - as if I don't have an abundance already!

Take care ladies! Angie - treat yourself often and rest well!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  9:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I have been washing out some Targhee/ Merino and it's coming out so nice and white! I know this may sound nuts, but I have been washing out the locks by hand with a drop of soap and there are coming out really nice! Now I just need to get some listed on etsy!

Grace, Congrats on the chicks! That sounds like so much fun!

Sarita, I will e-mail you about the wool!

I know I am missing a bunch of things, but it's been very hectic! Steve is supposed to be doing the drywall this week so I have been over at the house trying to help Gary wrap things up, on top of taking care of everything else from school to laundry and everything in between! I am honestly about ready to bop my hubby if he gripes about one more thing! He was just complaining because he needs a pair of shorts for work tomorrow! Don't mean to complain, but I wish he could appreciate how much I am trying to keep up with right now! I would have plenty of time for laundry if I was not at the other house helping in and filling in on small things he can't do with his leg messed up! On top of all of that I was really under the weather this weekend and did not get much done! Some times I just want to get out the duck tape!This humidity doesn't help either! It's been hot and very humid and they are not saying when it's going to let up!

Hope you all have a good night!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  07:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sheri I am so sorry for the mice issue - I know how that feels.. It is a never ending battle and sometimes you feel like they are winning.. This weather is not helping. I caught one this morning in the kitchen. Friday I had a vole get into the livingroom when I had the front door open. Here I was running around trying to kill it all the while reminding myself not to get bit - they are nasty creatures. I sure hope you find a piper to magically carry them away - like that is going to happen but it is nice to wish.

Brenda I am sure hoping that your hay get's cut in the proper time. I know how taxing it can be when you are waiting on others. I am still on the hunt for affordable hay and it is going about as well as your problem. I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Lori you had shown such restraint - I too am working on Christmas presents but also since I have to be so far ahead of the season for the business I feel like I am really behind. I am so releaved that your cow is doing better - she is still in my prayers.

Monica, I think duck tape is a fine answer to the whinning problem. Sorry that your temp is getting the better of you. Hate to tell you but today I have a sweater and hat on to do chores but it is heaven to me. Two more rains in the night - frog are talking which is music to my ears. I am with you on the fiber issues. Brooke brought me all five seasons of "LOST" so I can stand in front of the carding machine and just work.. I pulled fifteen different batches of Soy Silk that I dyed last week - so they are ready to Rock and Roll. I also plucked open seven dyed batches of alpaca so they are primed and ready. So let the fiber fun begin!!! I was also thinking of making some Cards this week.. Will see - still not 100% so I am trying to remind myself to not over due because I will pay for it in the end. I will keep you dear Monica in my prayers for a calmer week - you have earned it.

Well, better get back to work - also designing the housing for new chicks today - Nick and I tried to remember how long it has been since I raised chicks - have to go dig out all the equipment.

Oh did I say my youngest had his first day in College - I will be excited to hear all about it. He is working still full time too so I know he needs to sleep. I am very proud of him that he is moving forward and finding his footing - Conrad has been my challenge from day one but I am so proud of him. YAH Conrad!!!

Have a wonderful day ladies

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  08:15:42 AM  Show Profile
Grace, Thank you so much! I had to laugh when I read your post! :) I don't mean to complain, but sometimes I just want to tell Gary to get up and help with something, but I know he wears out with his leg after awhile! It also doesn't help that I am not the most organized person and if I don't have a list, I will space things so easy and it's not because I am just sitting around either! Oh how I would love to need a sweater! Gary did get the a/c hooked up at the house yesterday and it was great! We have not had any rain in quite a while!
Congrats to Conrad! I hope all goes well with college!

Here is a pic of the targhee/ merino that I have been washing. I am so pleased that it is coming out so white and it's really soft!

Hope everyone has a nice and cool day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Aug 24 2010 08:19:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  09:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh Monica - I think we all are allowed to complain sometimes - from what I hear we all work way too hard - have too many plates in the air and find that if we are not working the amount of ten folks we feel we are slacking... So go ahead and rant and raven or just grumble - we all understand and are behind you.

I wished I felt better with this great weather I should be tackling some outside work but just not up to it today.

I love the fleece - such white!! Are you able to get all the tiny VM out? I have tons await me and just not the mind set. You know Lilly, Lucas, and the gang... Lilly has had a shy week - everyone is in early heat and the boys are going nuts... Lucas is such a big boy now I need to get you some pictures... Put it on the list of TO DO!

Sending you some of my cool air.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  11:51:05 AM  Show Profile
Grace, so glad your weather is cooler. And thank you for the well-wishes. I have decided I am not going to stress about it anymore. It is not in my power to make anything happen, so the hay will get done all in good time. In the mean time, we will just have to deal with things as they are. I think this year is just going to be a "trial by fire" for us. Seems like every time we move, the first year is the hardest, and then everything after that, even if not perfect, is better than that first year. I just have to try and learn what I can from the struggle, and then use those lessns in the future.

Monica, I love the wool. Amazing how nice and white it came out. I cannot wait to get started with spinning and weaving and working with the wool. Hang in there, girl, I feel your pain! Husbands can be such a challenge, especially when they are "out of sorts" over something. And they just don't seem to notice all the work we do. I guess they think everything gets washed, cleaned, cooked, put away, straightened up, fixed, doctored, etc. all by magic! I'm sure there is a lesson in those struggles, too! I try to look at it like this: I am a rough piece of furniture, and in order to get all my rough edges smoothed out so that I can become the fine furniture I am meant to be, I have to rub up against a lot of sand-paper!

The temps have really dropped off nicely here. Grace, whatever you are doing must be working! Keep it coming.

I drenched some sheep this morning. My ram (Solomon) and one of my yearlings (Zinnia) were both pretty pale. Two of the others, Daisy and Zuma, 5 and 6 yr old ewes (Zuma was named by my 4-yr old granddaughter, Sophia. Until now she has always been called 0h-one), both looked a little darker than the other two, but not really bright red, so I drenched them as well. The other yearling, Cocoa, looked very good compared to the others, so I left her alone. I will check her again in a week to be sure she is still doing good.

Ladies, I have frogs in my house! They are climbing frogs with little suction-cup feet! They are kind-of cute, but I really don't want to keep finding them everywhere! I took a picture of one in the bath tub. I'm going to blog about it this week!

Well, I think I will take a little nap. Chat later.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  1:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have actually been taking a small section of locks and brushing them gently with a soft hairbrush and soapy water and then rinsing them gently under the water and almost all of the VM rinses out! It does take longer, but it makes the locks look so nice and they are not felting any! I have so much to catch up on that it's crazy! I didn't realize that the Phat Fiber Box's went on sale the 15th, I thought it was this past weekend so I don't even have my full size batts listed yet! It looks like we are moving into the house without our bedroom being finished because of other stuff that needs done first! We also don't have the second bathroom or pantry done either and right now it looks like my craft room may not happen at all! At this point I don't really care, I just want to get moved! I would love to see new pics of the kids! Did you ever decide on Monica's fleece?

Brenda,Thank you on the wool and thank you for the encouragement! I have to say that at time Gary makes GREAT sand paper! I think sometimes you just need to vent a bit otherwise it builds up and I am so grateful to be able to safely let off a little steam here! As a rule I don't talk about Gary and especially not to my mom or mother-in-law ever, but I think every so often you just need a safe place to vent some!!

I hope everyone is having cooler weather! It's still hot and humid here and to be honest I am really getting tired of it! It's nice in the morning, but it doesn't stay that way for too long!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page