LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  3:05:00 PM  Show Profile
O yeah! I remember you at Wilma's. We just crossed briefly I think. One of us was going and the other coming I think!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have been so bad about posting anything on it for over a month. I'm working on so many things and i want to put some really good pictures up but I can't seem to get anything to come out right. I either need a new camera or some lights and a place to set a clear background. i want to create a more professional website, plus I got an artfire account just sitting there and I'm doing a bunch of stuff through ravelry. so the blog has been neglected since Christmas.

I have Shetland who I love. I had a couple of Nigerian dwarfs here for a while. They were cute. What do you do with your goats?

I'm off to NJ again tomorrow for another round of legal negotiations....(sigh....)

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  8:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Are Shetlands the babydoll sheep? I think if we ever ended up getting sheep I would want the Babydoll type, they are just to precious. When we went to the NAILE show in Louisville this past Nov. they were having a "spin in". A whole group of women in a circle just spinning away. It was one of the neatest things I had ever seen. We got into goats so our son could show them for 4-H, but I'm the one who's ended up falling head over heels for them! All except for the mean Buck we had to get rid off because he kept getting out and trying to attack me! Now our daughter is 5 so she can show this summer as well. Do you remember a little girl with blonde hair at Wilma's named Gracie? If so that's my Gracie girl! A very very big country girl!

Best farm wishes
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  06:40:40 AM  Show Profile
Babydoll sheep are very cute. So are Shetlands. Shetlands make wonderful pets. When you pet them, they wag their tails. (by the way, you don't have to dock their tails). I have some shetlands and they are like dogs, follow me around, want to be petted. Both sheep would be great projects for Gracie.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A Good Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, and always Close To Your Heart!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  07:47:55 AM  Show Profile
I must admit I love Babydoll Southdowns. They where the first breed I put on the farm. Such great temperment, soft cuddly bodies, great mom's and I loved spinning their fiber - did you know they where the first breed of the Downey sheep which gave way to the numerous breeds we see today. I love when you leave their tails alone, it is long a fluffy just like a dog and they do wag them and also they bounce up and down when they run.... One more thing, their cute faces look like they have a continual smile on them. They where also called the Teddy Bear Sheep because their face looks like the teddy bear, round ears, short nose and they have coloration around the ears,eyes and nose which look like a teddy bear. Their fiber was used to make the first undergarments and kept is elastic nature which was great for sock, hose and slips. They are also refered to as the cadillac of sheep meat - top cheifs around the world use only southdown meat. I guess you can tell I love those sheep. Did I also tell you that there was Southdown sheep on the ground of the White House for many years - Yes, Jefferson was one of the biggest Southdown breeders around...

I must put a shout out for Shetlands too - they are a very intellegent sheep, fast on their feet, independant and good mommy's too. Since I have not raised them I know there are better folks out their to explain their passion for Shetlands. Let's hear about those marvelous Shetlands - I have several friends who raise them and just can not say enough about them.

Hope everyone is staying warm - I guess we are to get to around 34 today - last night the winds hit 45 miles an hour which made that cold really cut thru you. Stay warm, dry and safe today folks.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  12:40:57 PM  Show Profile
Sarita
I just posted my Shetland yarn that I finished on Etsy - Hope to get it also on the blog site today - loved working with it. The two fleeces come from my friend who has been raising Shetland and Churro for about 35 years and has some of the best genetic's around. Tell me what you think of it if you have a chance.

Also folks the naming contest will be ending Feb 1st at 8 pm MST.

Thanks for all who entered.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  4:22:09 PM  Show Profile
Grace, did you see my names for the kids? I couldn't get past the password thing again. They're on page 15.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris,

Sometimes I think I am losing my mind - thought I had responded saying I received you names when you posted them - guess I did it in my dreams. Got the names and you are entered - if you wish to you can enter as many times as you wish and I promise I am keeping an eye on this site too....

I think I have my last three girls heading into the home stretch of getting ready to deliver. They spent the day doing that up/down, up/down thing and so I sat in the barn forever. Then they all stopped and ate a huge dinner. I guess I am back at the every two hour watch again..

Stay warm it was 60 today but once the sun went down we are at 32 - got to love Colorado - we never know which end is up.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  08:15:07 AM  Show Profile
Here is a question that was posted on a goat site and would love to hear from you all

What do you do with those tender little ears doing this horrible winter cold

Suggestions so far is baby sock and baby mittens - how in the world do you keep those on???

I personally have used human bandaids that are for elbows and knees, with neo cream on the ear before placing the bandaids on. This is changed every day until healed. Kate which was born last year at thee worst of our storm did lose the tip of her left ear but I managed to save all of the right. I have in past times also placed a ton of bag balm with hot sauce mixed in on their ears as a preventative measure. The hot sauce is to keep others from licking it off. The thick layer keeps the cold out and the tiny blood vessels protected.

Would love to hear what you do with your animals.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  1:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tammy

As Grace has said, Baby Doll are not the same as Shetlands. The BabyDolls are truly adorable looking, though I've never had them or even been around them. My Shetlands are sweet and would make wonderful pets as Sarita says. They do wag their little tails and nudge at me for their treats and scratches just like big puppies. Even my rams are sweet, though they can be very 'insistent' about getting their treats so it's best not to get in the middle of them. they do still come up to the fence for their scratches and treats. I know, I shouldn't pet them...heard that many times but I still do ocassionally. they have a very sturdy (necessary) fence. Their fleece is just wonderful. I am so jeaulous Grace that you have finsshed spinning your Shetland fleece. I can't wait to go to your site to check it out. Despite my resolution to get my business going, I am still not getting stuff on line. i was spinning away till I had to return to NJ and now I am stuck here without my wheel. I have about ten fleeces waiting to be picked up at the mill where it was processed to roving and I'm dying to see how it looks and feels and get to dying and spinning it myself. I do have some batts ready to go to that i made some (mildly) crazy batts with. I want to do the wild batts but I'm afraid to put to much through my drum carder and then also have a small orifice on my wheel. Sooooo still getting that together. (I digressed....sorry!) Anyway, the Shetland are great for kids 4h as they are small and very tamable. I've thought about showing mine but yet another thing I haven't gotten around to. They come from stock that has won many prizes on the circuit.

Hey that was my Spinning Guild at NAILE and I was there for a few hours in the afternoon. Again, we crossed paths!

Grace, I missed the naming contest completely but I'm sure you'll come up with some good ones. Hope all your little ones are doing well. I've only lambed once, last year, and it was in late March/early April so didn't have a problem with the ears frezing on the babes. I wonder if goats are more sensitive than sheep? The goat we had when we first got the farm had damaged ears, I imagine from the cold. So far, no problems with my sheepies.

I'm off to check your site Grace. I'm still in NJ, but can't wait to get home to KY, despite the freezing storm that left so much damage. I missed it completely but I know that my trees are heavily damaged. Hopefully, that will be all.

Luna

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lilliesfarm
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Lillie
Jones OK
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  6:27:20 PM  Show Profile
Dear Grace,
You are a God sent. In the near future I want to raise some sheep, I'm a spinner so I'd really like to have a small flock of my own. I've been doing some reading about Mareno (hope I spelled that right) sheep and their wool? What do you think of them? Are these the kind of sheep a first time shepherdess should invest in? If not, what breed of sheep would you suggest?
Thanks so much.
Lillie

God bless
Go to Top of Page

lilliesfarm
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Lillie
Jones OK
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  6:34:38 PM  Show Profile
Dear Grace,
You are indeed a God sent. I'm a spinner, and in the near future I want to have a small flock of my own. I've been doing some research of Marino (hope I spelled that right) sheep and their wool. Would this breed be a good breed for a first time shepherdess? If not, what would you suggest?
Your advice would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Lillie

God bless
Go to Top of Page

lilliesfarm
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Lillie
Jones OK
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  6:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I ended up writing it twice. Long day.
Lillie

God bless
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:45:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - WOW sorry for the delay in getting back - busy bee here..

Luna thank you for the kind words about the yarn - love spinning my friends fleeces - she really has great stock. I will be excited to see you fiber when you get it back from the mill - sounds like life is getting in the way of you having spinning time - I so know how that goes.. Keep us in the loop when you have time.

Hi Lillie - no worries about posting twice my problem is I think I have posted and it is done in my head but not on the screen - think I am lossing too many brain cells.
To give you a start on you sheep quest I would say Merino sheep are the best known to the general population thru yarns, clothing and such but they are not the best for a beginner. First off getting the best Merino is going to be costly because the breed is one that has been used to improve stock so getting pure blood lines is going to be pricey. Next, you must require their lines to have been blood counted (which means their fleeces for several generations has been tested for their softness) Blood count is expensive and time consuming but a must for this breed. Next, the market is blanketed with this fleece from other countries who have mastered the breed. So that means you will not get much for your fleece when someone can go online and purchase it from large companies for pennies - with today's economy you would not be paying you hay bill. Lastly a small breeder must have a niche because you just can not compete with the big boys. Hate to sound like a party pooper!!! In the days to come I am sure that after reading the enteries around this thread you will get some other breeds that might sound of interest. The next thing I would do is really hit the books and shows. The other suggestion is just start asking us more questions and the ladies here will be glad to answer them honestly. None of us want someone to purchase an animal that later they will regret. I will also give you a heads up on the size and temperment of the Merino - the boys are huge with double rolled horns, if you have never raised sheep they are a reall handfull for those of us who have had them around. Next alot of shearers do a horrible job on these fleeces because of the rolling and doubling skin on this sheep. I have several friends who raise them and they all shear their own because of the hack jobs in the past. I also know that the amount of lanolin in their fleece requires multiple washing and care of picking to get a good fleece, most Merino's are blanketed and that is a whole batch of issues right there. Again, sorry to sound like I am raining on your parade - if you really have your heart set on them then we can also assist you in all the breed information and great sources of top animals.

Got to run - cleaning barns this morning. I will be announcing also the naming contest winners tonight on my blog Thanks for all who contributed.
Bye for now

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  6:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals,

I have learned so much from your conversations. Thank You! I am new here and happen to have two sheep that I rescued as part of a big sheep rescue through animal control. This man passed away and no one knew about it for a few weeks. He had a herd of about 130 Barbados Blackbelly sheep that were right in the middle of lambing. They were all in a muddy pen. No one had been fed and there were lambs in trouble everywhere. One died in my arms. We pulled eight lambs to bottle feed that day and I came home with one boy and one girl who I kept and are the light of my life. I didn't even know what that breed was when I got them (sorry fiber gals!). They will be two years old this month and their names are Hazel and Finnius. I just love them so much. They make me smile and laugh every single day.

My question to all you experienced hands is about first aid kits. I picked up a lot of tips from you all from reading your previous posts. I am just wondering what you think the most important things to have on hand are in case of a sheep emergency. oh and THANKS!!!

By the way,..the whole rest of the herd was saved and moved to a really nice farm. YAY!

Thanks so very much,
Lily (another one!)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  7:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Well, how sad that he passed away and no one knew for so long. But that is so good that the sheep were all saved and taken to good homes. What a way to start life. I am glad you have your 2 special lambs. They are precious, I'm sure. What a great story.

I don't know a lot about sheep, so I will let the others answer this one. I never had trouble with the few I have had. So don't really know what you should have. I do have goats and I keep lots of baking soda and Kaopectate around. And plain yogurt, too. That helps alot. I am sure you will get lots more good ideas to put on your list of things to keep on hand.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  9:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Lily - I love that breed - you have pumped your karma up a thousand percent. Thank you so much for stepping forward and caring for those who had no one.

Kris has some of the items in my kit (us goat folks think alike)
I would add the following - blood stop, spray on anticeptic, super glue (great to use instead of stiches), vet wrap, a stomach tub, a thermomater (spelling?) and make sure you have a string on the end with a clothes pin tied on because you do not want to have to try and find that thing if it gets sucked in, clean rags (great for cleaning a wound but also used to apply pressure, cover eyes and to blow your nose in when the weather gets it running, ball of heavy string, flashlight, scissors, razor blades, eye ointment and then I have a whistle and snake bit kit. The last two may sound silly but the whistle is to scare away prediators who might have casued the problem to begin with and it is also used if you get injuried trying to help and need to call someone to your rescue. The snake bit kit is if you live in any area where snakes might have joined your flock and trust me that happens not just in the dessert. Last but not least a really good sheep or goat book - there are several out there and as with anything it is better to read the book before the emergency then during the emergency. My son and I during our second lambing season could not get a vet when a ewe went down during labor - the lambs where stuck and by flashlight and while reading the procedure we started the C-section half way thru the vet arrived and finished the job but that same night I finished reading the book cover to cover while we sat up with the ewe all night long.

Thank again Lily for being those sweet one's angel - the world needs more like you..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lilliesfarm
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Lillie
Jones OK
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  06:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info Grace, I have a lot to learn, but what a great place to learn it!
What's your take on Sheep's milk verses goats milk?

Thanks again, have a great day!
Lillie

God bless
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  07:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Not sure what you mean??? If you are asking which produces more the answer is it depends on the breed and also the genetics of that girl.

If you are asking about taste - personally I like cows milk, then goat and then sheep and very last is Yak. Goat's are interesting because their milk takes on the taste of what the eat very easily and sheep I feel is only suited for cheese but again that is my personal taste buds. Icelandic sheep are really doing well in the milk/cheese production - very few sheep breeds can be milk producers. You also have to start sheep into the milking processing just as you do with goats, from the start of their first lambing.

If I missed the mark on your question just let me know and I can address exactly what you wanted to know.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  07:40:05 AM  Show Profile
Goat milk all the way for me. But I guess I am partial to my Lamanchas. I actually have never tried sheep's milk, but did help my ewe when she had her triplets to get them to nurse and her udder was kind of oily feeling. And VERY small. Looks like a lot of trouble. So I'll let the lambs have that milk.

We are drinking fresh Jersey milk right now while my girls are dry waiting til may to get more. It's agony! I may have to go buy a goat in milk real soon.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  09:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh Grace and Kris, Thank You! I wrote that all down in an excited frenzy! I have a lot of it in the barn for the horses but I now have a shopping list for the rest of it. Really thoughtful choices too.

I can't believe you had to start a c-section yourself. OMG! Talk about brave. I have helped with surgeries on horses but I don't think I could have done that. Talk about intense! Our area is currently without a vet that deals with livestock so I guess I better get that book you were talking about and study up. Yikes!

One of these days I will have to bribe my husband into helping me post a picture of my baaabies.

I have another question,....I know copper is the big no-no for sheep,..but what are the other things? Specifically, what are the things that goats can have that sheep cant? I see products made for goats that I won't try on my sheep, but I need to know why I guess.

I am so glad I joined the forum!!!! Gush Gush!! Thanks in advance!

Lily
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Lily, I know that if goats eat any thing in the azalea family, even mountain laural, that type of foliage, it will kill them. Also ivy of any type. Bad stuff for the goats. I am not sure about sheep, but I think they might be a little more tolerant. But I am probably wrong there. All I really know about what sheep can't have is the copper so I always just gave mine the plain white salt block. Other than that, I never had a problem with them. And they do like to eat. Also if goats get into moldy hay, that's bad for them. My goats are just picky girls. really, they do not eat everything. They have to have all grain, they hate pellets. They have their fav hay, too.

I sure hope other sheep ladies will pipe in here on this one for you. I'd hate to steer you wrong. I just always fed my sheep the feed made for sheep and had them separate from the goats. Esp. during breeding and kidding so the goats could have the minerls with copper in it.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  7:55:11 PM  Show Profile
We Have Winners
I am posting the winners here first because this graceful Grace is having to type with one hand and I am running out of steam and asprin.

First - thanks to all the wonderful folks who entered the contest and the great names that where offered up. For those who did not win I wont you to know that I loved them all and this was a really hard to pick. How I picked is to put the baby in a pen and call out the names one by one - when the animal responded by walking over that was the name I picked - sounds simple right but it has taken me three days just to get them to pay attention - remember the are babies.

So here are the winners - drum roll Please !!

Rachel (my youngest participant to date) her pick for Rebecca's girl
"LILY" and the little girl already answers to her name.

Monica (who also gave "Lily" as a name) so I picked her second name of "LUCAS" for Rebecca's boy. He is working on his name but right now he is more interested in butting my leg then paying attention.

Allie (she is a ETSY client who gave me a bunch of regonial names) her pick for Esmerelda's girl "Sitara" which means Star - a perfect fit because I often find her just glazing up at the star's when I do my evening checks. However, she get's confussed when I tell the dog to sit - she comes.. We are working on things.

NotQuiteJuneCleaver who provided a perfect name "Seamus" (pronounced Shamush) for the boy. The moment I tried out the name he gave me the "Big Boy Billy Stand" where they arch their back, stand stiff legged and stick their chin up high.. He loves his name.....

I will be posting also on my blog the winners and will be sending out their prizes shortly - since my wrist injury Monday I am doing everything one handed so now I am again behind - I shutter to think what might have happened to me if my Mom did not have the good sense to name me GRACE ?

Thanks again for everyone who entered - great names from great ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  07:16:07 AM  Show Profile
Grace, what did you do now? You sure get hurt alot.

The names are cute and I bet they all do fit. That's what I try to do too. I have theme names that go along with the mothers.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

mmartz
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Melissa
Frostburg MD
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
Can you share some herbal wormer recipes and some of your knowledge about that? I have goats and am currently using Fiasco Farm's herbal wormer. I bought a microscope but have yet to do my own fecals...

Missy

quote:
Originally posted by grace gerber

Hi Kris, I love talking goats - that all that is in my barn right now except for my llamas. Ask away and I am not kidding I would love to talk goats too.

Jami, I know that worms can be a horrible problem expecially in some areas of the country. One great issue is in dry climates such as mine that helps in keeping some forms away. Next certain breeds are just magnets to worms. In being organic I must also state I stopped traveling my animals to shows, breeders and such and found an incredible drop in worms. Then I use the Farmstead herbal wormer program, I also include woodworm during certain times of the years. I have several books inwhich I could send you the recipes for herbal wormers. Apple Cider is also added to water supplies and I clean with Order Ban which will kill many nasty little creepy things. I have also found the more grains in the system the more worm issues they seem to have - it is a balancing act.

Grace Gerber

Missy
www.rocking-m.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  7:57:37 PM  Show Profile
Kris I know it sounds like I get hurt alot but I am always counting my lucky stars because I seem to never get so hurt I have to go to the doctors or emergency room anymore..... The wrist thing was while I was moving and stacking 3 ton of hay and 400 lbs of grain bags - I was using the dolly and walking back and forth from my driveway to the barn (being organic I can not have any vehicles leave the driveway) anyway I admit it I was in my head and slipped on some black ice I did not see in the tall grass - down I went and to save me knees I stuck out my hand. Well, Graceful Grace.. Never fear that is why I get paid the big bucks to be a stumbling clown at the funny farm.

Thanks for asking I promise I will stop getting hurt.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page