Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  09:45:55 AM  Show Profile
Deborah, that sounds really good. I have to try it.
Vicki Sister #280
Go to Top of Page

AmberBlondeCowgirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Amber
Aransas Pass TX
USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  1:20:43 PM  Show Profile
I read through the What is Herbal Wisdom topic and am ready to learn more! I have been interested in uses for herbs for a while but don't have much going except some plants that I use to cook with like basil, cilantro and dill(space is very limited, I live in a travel trailer lol). One of my great aunts always had salves and herbal teas to give us when I was little, but I never got the chance to learn from her. And when she passed we couldn't find any recipes...

I am very interested in taking a Master Herbalist course either correspondence or online. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?! Any info would be greatly appriciated :D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

root mama
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Melissa
Asheville NC
USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  10:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Herbal Wisdom...such a great topic! I think it is our history, many of us have close ancestors who used herbal medicines. Unfortunately, much of that knowledge was forgotten within one or two generations. Luckily, many of us are coming back around to it. I have been studying herbs for almost 20 years now and no matter how much I learn, there is always more. I love it! I grow as many herbs as I can and often wildcraft the ones I cannot. I love wild foods and really focus on the weedy herbs like chickweed, nettles, violet, etc. One of my favorite books is Rosemary Gladstars Family herbal...I think it was renamed recipes for vibrant living. It is such a phenomenal book, covering everything from how to make your own face cream to oils and tinctures. She is just fabulous! I always recommend to my students to live with a plant for a year. Learn everything you can about it...start in your neighborhood..learn what grows there. What plants are used for food and medicines in your area? There are many great schools online or through correspondence, but there is also much learning you can do at home. I still do plant walks whenever I can, to expand my knowledge of what grows around me. I am lucky to live in one of the most biodiverse areas in the world! I would love to hear any favorite herb recipes, either food or medicines (same, really). I am a plant geek...any others out there?
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  05:05:25 AM  Show Profile
Doctors will always tell you herbs don't work. Whether it is greed or just plain ignorance I can't tell. They have been taught in medical school that only drugs do anything. Most of them think anyone who tries anything else is stupid. Of course, they see all of their patients as less intelligent than they are. They went to college. I think it is the other way around.

Nurses, on the hand, have more open minds and are more compassionate. They are also better at injections and drawing blood. Never let a doctor draw blood. They leave huge bruises. They just don't do it as often as nurses. My sister is studying to be a nurse at 55 years old. I am proud of her. I would, but I just don't think I could subject my patients to the horrors of modern medicine; not when I know it doesn't have to be that way.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  3:44:02 PM  Show Profile
It has been said that some lawyers have to pass arrogance before they can pass the bar. I think certain doctors are just as bad. I really do not like doctors and have had more than my fair share of lousy ones. I understand that in Germany they do monograms on the various herbs and how to use them. They do a lot more with herbs there.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  9:45:43 PM  Show Profile
Last fall when our chickens started laying my hubby took a bundle of dried rosemary and put under just one laying box and they stand in line to use that box, even if the others are open! Just saying :)

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  5:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful thread : ))

I am blessed twice, with my herbs and EO's. I use them constantly with better than perscription - results. I have a Dr. that also encourages me to use them, as what he has to offer comes with little relief.(& much cost) Learning about herbal use is so very rewarding!

I encourage everyone to try them and don't be afraid, just do your research, start with one, then another, get to know them well : ))

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
http://southernplum.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  05:32:57 AM  Show Profile
I havent read all the post but I was wondering if there anything to use for HypoThyroid
I take meds but sometimes they dont work completely
Thanks

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  04:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Even though it's a medical hospital, the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer center in NYC has a website with herbal information on it. It also contains all the properties of the herbs, uses, and adverse reactions. I found it pretty interesting.

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11570.cfm

Shelly
Go to Top of Page

Stacy K.
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Stacy
temple PA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  05:16:59 AM  Show Profile
I am a naturopath and working on Clinical Master Herbalist and Holistic Wellness Professional. You don't need to be scarred of herbals for remedies just educate yourself. One of my all time favorites is chamomile tea(make sure it is just chamomile) we use it as an infusion to drink if someone gets a bladder infection... we make a quart and sip all day, we use it for pink eye by placing the warm tea bags on each eye and squeeze a little and drink the cup of tea too and pink eye is gone the next day... we love chamomile. It is gentle yet VERY effective. My friend just tried the remedy for bladder infection and the next day it was gone she was so impressed. I rarely go to the doctor. I save that for serious things so we don't overuse antibiotics. And don't get me started on the awesome salve.... families uses it for all sorts of things and it works on things prescription creams couldn't.
I do like to use herbal remedies that are gentle since I have children. There are a lot of good companies like Mountain Rose Herbs that have tutorials and specials on herbs. I highly recommend some of you try your hand at some elderberry syrup, an herbal tea and a salve. If you go to www.learningherbs.com you can get a great little kit with wonderful instructions to make some of these things. It is a lot of fun! Also if you want to learn more you can go to my website apocketfulofacorns.blogspot.com to check us out... it will get more exciting after we move to the farm this summer and get the herb garden started... but while you are on my site you can click on the link to the herb school I attend. Sorry guys if it was TMI but I had to share... I am very passionate about herbs... used them for the past 25 years.
Go to Top of Page

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  09:07:28 AM  Show Profile
No! Not TMI at all! I just took a quick peek at your website/blog and it looks really nice. I'm going to go back after I get home tonight and read it more thoroughly! I love the learningherbs.com site too! The pumpkin pie recipe you posted caught my eye ;-) Thanks for all the info!

Farmgirl #12
http://aliceswonderfullife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all I am learning sooooo much.
Go to Top of Page

country_lovin
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Debbie
Oregon
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  12:56:45 PM  Show Profile
I am glad i found this forum. I'm new to herbal remedy's. Looking forward to learning.
Go to Top of Page

astone
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Amber
Casper WY
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2013 :  3:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love "Herbal Wisdom" I just got started into studying herbs and essential oils. I love the lavender (flowers and essential oil). I have restless legs really bad not just at night but during the day. I have prescription medication but I can't take it during the day because it puts me to sleep. I made some lotion using the lavender essential oil and use it during the day when my legs act up and I love it. Works like a charm. I am so looking forward to learning more about herbs and ways to use them.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2013 :  7:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
I too just love herbal remedies and thankfully I have an M.D. that uses both disciplines. He told me to take a Liver Support formula from Eclectic out of Sandy, OR and my liver numbers are nearly back to normal. It is a huge accomplishment and it did take a year of herb treatment, but I have been fighting non-alcoholic fatty liver for years. The formula has artichoke, beet, turmeric, dandelion and milk thistle in it. This is for information only and you must consult your own M.D. Each person and medical history is different. For example I am highly allergic to Chamomile and it is in a lot of different products and various tea blends. Please be sure you are not allergic to a specific herb before using it. I have seen chamomile work in many people so they are lucky. My daughter went to cooking school and turmeric was a mainstay in the kitchen for burns. Best to you all, Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

GinnyM
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Virginia
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  6:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello sisters! I am a lover of herbs too! I have just been accepted into the sisterhood, and I am SO excited to be here! It looks like there hasn't been a post on here in a while, I hope we can get this forum going again? I am just going to do a quick post here, and then I'm going back to the beginning, and reading EVERY post! LOL! I Love growing my own herbs, but I am terrible when it comes to how to harvest them. I know one can cut, bunch, and tie to strings hanging them upside down, to dry....but, not sure how to do this in my apartment. Where would be a good place to hang them?

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Virginia #6298
Go to Top of Page

sauceygirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Joanie
Torrance California
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  5:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone and welcome Virginia. I too, am a new sister. This is a great forum. I am very interested in this subject but I am such a beginner. I grow herbs mostly for cooking but I would love to know more about the health benefits. I will definately be reading all the posts.

Joanie #6596 Trying to live a quiet, simple life in the big city.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  05:36:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Joanie, so glad you're here! Mary Jane's Farm is a bounty of herbal information. Check out the back issues of the both the print magazine and the Sister issues, there's always something enlightening in them. Hugs!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  4:27:35 PM  Show Profile
I, too, use more and more herbs in cooking but am not sure as to how to use them as cures. We use supplements for different things but don't know how to do it myself. Will be following this group.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  08:44:09 AM  Show Profile
I have a couple books which are good sources for herbal health information.

Magic and Medicine of Herbs is a Reader's Digest book. My was printed in 1989. It has a comprehensive index of herbs and other plants with description, history of use, nice illustrations, a list of alternate names for the herb and a quick reference box with all the information needed to grow and use the herb. The book has an extensive history of herbalism as a practice, a reference on poisonous plants, recipes, crafts and an extensive index. It assumes a person knows how to do a diffusion, infusion, decoction etc.

The Complete Illustrated Book of Herbs, another Reader's Digest book ISBN 13: 978-0-7621-0796-4. This book has an extensive directory with photos, a section on gardening, herbal medicine, natural beauty, crafts and cooking. This book shows how to do the preparations of the herbs. The medicinal section is organized by ailment.

Both of these are very good books. I often consult them together when I am looking for wisdom. Be very careful with herbal remedies. Many of the commercial medicines use substances derived from plants. Check for contraindications and overdosing.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2017 :  3:35:40 PM  Show Profile
I just picked up at my library today Michael Castleman's "The New Healing Herbs" book. It has herbs listed from A-Z and gives detailed information about their history, current uses, modern research, Rx recommendations, safety, gardening and more. It's an excellent resource if you are interested in using herbs medicinally. I'm glad I found it today, it's been very informative and interesting.

Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2018 :  06:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow I love this thread. I have many herbs grown in our garden and we also forage for stuff like Mullein, jewelweed, yarrow, plantain and a few others. We make a lot of soaps and balms that we sell. If I had to have a starting place for one herb or flower it would be Calendula. I have been making a balm for many years now with this. It is great for bumps, bruising, moisturizing, and great for diaper rash. I have 17 grand babes and they have never used anything but MawMaws butter. My two favorite people that have books etc. are Linda OUrs Rago and Rosemary Gladstar I believe her name is. If you haven't ready anything by them they are worth picking up a book or two. We sell on our website theblisslodge.com if your interested.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2019 :  2:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
I'm also very pleased to find the thread! I'm going to start posting random herbal ideas and folk lore! Rosemary is used under your pillow to get sweet dreams and encourage love. It strengthen the heart!

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2019 :  3:23:27 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to try this,

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2019 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile
I think I'm going to need a rosemary sachet for under my pillow.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic **What is Herbal Wisdom? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page