Lady Lavender
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Jenelle
BENNETT co
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  1:55:19 PM  Show Profile
Lavender is also awesome with honey and lemonade! I am actually starting a lavender farm and will handcraft soaps, lotions, etc... I am so excited to see lavender fields instead of yuccas!

OUT IN THE COUNTRY, LIVIN' THE SIMPLE LIFE, THAT ISN'T SO SIMPLE
Go to Top of Page

CalicoCat
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

April
Oakland County MI
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  6:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CalicoCat's MSN Messenger address  Send CalicoCat a Yahoo! Message
How exciting, Jenelle! From the bottom of my lavender-lovin' little heart, I wish you the best success! :)

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  6:26:00 PM  Show Profile
On lavender--I don't know much about herbs or their medicinal uses, but I sometimes make a tea with lavender, chamomile, and lemon balm. I take it before I go to bed and it helps me sleep better. I add honey to it as well. I've also made a tea with dandelion root to cleanse the liver--it's strong, so I only use a little of the root. I put honey in it too. I have some books on plants and their medicinal qualities and would really like to learn more. Any Wildcrafters in the St. Louis area?
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  7:12:57 PM  Show Profile
I have been searching for a long time to find a site I could be comfortable with where I could learn about herbs and their uses. I want to learn more about the medicinal qualities and I love to craft. I would also love to make soaps, face scrubs, cleansers etc... Anyone know of anything.

LIVE simply, LOVE generously, CARE deeply, SPEAK kindly...Leave the rest to God.
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  08:07:53 AM  Show Profile
Hello FarmSisters!
i want to learn more about growing and using Medicinal Herbs this year.
There is a trio of herbs that are said to be Brain Boosters! Yes, i need that! hehehheehee.

They are Gotu Kola, Sushni and Bacopa.

i have purchased the seeds and will plant them in the greenhouse soon.

What are your favorite herbs to grow in your garden?

Love, BeckySue

You are
Welcome
to visit
My Serenity Garden

Edited by - BeckySue on Apr 17 2009 08:11:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  9:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I am looking for a good intro to medicinal herbs book. Something that is a good basic overview. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  2:04:11 PM  Show Profile
I've been studying herbalism for some time now,my Great grandmother was a midwife and herbalist and I wish that I had learned more from her while she was alive,I do have alot of her writings and recipes though and have learned alot from them.
I think the easiest way to get into herbal medicine making or other herbcrafting you should start with a group of herbs or a single herb such as the mints (like skullcap and motherswort) or roses (which includes blackberries,apples,raspberries,etc..) which are usually very safe and have a variety of uses and then work your way into others as you learn.
There have been so many things that herbs have helped me with,I use alot of herbs in livestock doctoring as well as for human use,I have used slippery elm and comfrey as poultices for strangles abcesses and other infected wounds and internally to treat scours in foals,calves and goats and I tincture arnica and lavender together for a liniment.
For human use I grow and tincture motherswort for my heart condition,skullcap as a pain reliever and sleep aid and I make an elderberry syrup for cold and flu season,I have even used some of the more dangerous herbs such as poke (very dangerous,use extremely carefully) but only in times of great need.
There are so many ways that using our herbal wisdom can enrich our lives but we must always use sense,I think to use herbs medicinally you must also fall in love with them and really get to know each herb and not try to do too much too fast,herbal medicines don't have to be complicated,you can do amazing things by binding a wound with a few nasturtium leaves or some honey.
As far as books,I would suggest "Making Herbal Medicines" by Richo Chech,owner of Horizon herbs in Oregon,just his seed catalog alone contains a wealth of information and also books and articles (such as in Sage Woman) by Susun Weed.
The herbalist I most admire is Juliette de Baraicli Levy,she was an amazing woman and anyone looking into herbal wisdom should get to know her teachings.
Anyways,I'll wrap this up,this is kind of long but one other suggestion with lavender,other than applying to burns is to put some leaves and flowers in your shortbread cookies,this is wonderful!!!!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Greyhound Mom
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn...you sound very wise when it comes to Herbalism! I too have been studying herbalism for a long time and have put together a wonderful Medicine Wheel or Potager garden. When I first started with herbs, I planted what I loved, parsley, lavender, basil, thyme, rosemary, chives - more for culinary use! I bought every book I could find on Herbs, from Native American herbalism to the Witch's Gardeing. Then I got into brewing teas,making poltices, and what I call my herbal potions for astringents, muscle pain, antiseptics. I started planting Angelica, Mints, Echinacea, fennel, Witch Hazel, Hops etc. and starting using them medicially. I am a certified Pharmacy Tech and I really wanted to learn about the uses of herbs in the old ways of healing, knowing all to well the side effects of prescription drugs.

I can't learn enough and am always searching for herbs I haven't yet included in my garden. Thanks for your insight...I enjoyed reading your thoughts and sharing your knowledge!

Barbara ~

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth, and we have a sacred duty to protect her and return thanks for the gifts of life."
Go to Top of Page

lavendermom
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Jennifer
Houghton Lake MI
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  3:28:01 PM  Show Profile
What a blessing herbs have been to my family! I use herbs in my everyday life. When I use them for "culinary" purposes, I am also benefiting from the medicinal and beautifying qualities as well. I throw herbs into my soups and stocks to boost immune systems or decongest during colds. When I'm nursing a baby, I might include milk enriching herbs such as fennel, dill or fenugreek. For instance last night I included lots of fennel in my supper of green beans and squash to boost up my milk supply. My baby girl is also teething so I've been drinking lots of chamomile tea to help soothe her. She gets some rubbed on her gums too. We seldom need to see a doctor. I even use herbs with our animals. I worm our goats and chickens with herbs. I give my dairy goats milk boosting herbs with their hay. I use herbs in my skin care products...combined with our goat's milk! Medicinal, culinary, beautifying, aromatherapy...it all works together. I consider them to be as important as fruits and veggies.

I've developed an entire web site devoted to herbs, nutrition and simple living, www.fromfieldsandgardens.com.

www.farmsteadorganics.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greyhound Mom
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  4:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Girls...I have just made 12 dream pillows filled with dried lavender and hops from my first harvest of lavender! I am thrilled!

B ~

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth, and we have a sacred duty to protect her and return thanks for the gifts of life."
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  06:28:27 AM  Show Profile
Herbal Wisdom is just that, being wise to use what the Good Lord put before us, instead of going to the DR. every time, however, there is a time and place for Dr.s also...

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  09:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I am with you I have Juliette de Bairacli Levys books and use them for reference frequently,especially the handbook for farm & stable. She is so down to earth. Look to the herbs and weeds that grow near you they will do you the most good. Growing what we can so that we can learn as much as possible about that plant is a very good way to learn, start with just a few and increase.
One day I found my mares underside covered with little bumps from her muzzle to her tail, was it ground bees, bugs?? I had never seen anything like it. She had just come home from the vets stablea few days before, she was there for breeding. I hadn't a clue as to what was going on at first and fearing that she would abort, I ran to the house and looked up herbs for horses, still didn't find much but enough to try fresh nettles it said if they eat them they will help! I picked what I could - I swell up and itch terrible from fresh nettle, but I put them near her in the pasture.. sadly she didn't touch them, two other horses came and ate them. Just then my husband came with a huge arm load and put them down in front of her...she ate them and within hours she was nearly welt free. I had during this time given her a cool water bath, trying the inside outside way. The vet never called back /shes still on my "list" but I did find out it was a case of hives through my own research but still have no positive reason why she got them. when the results are that positive though how can you not believe in herbs. I was shocked, my husband was even more amazed and we were all so relieved.
I have been drinking a nettle tea for the last few years and they are very cleansing. Teas do not need to be strong, a weak tea drank more frequently will help me more. I pick and dry a stash for winter of clover blossom,catmint,peppermint and tyme. I have eaten chunks of pine sap for a sore throat. My first choice is always herbs to help myself and plenty of good ol water.

Hugs,
Zens Goddess
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  09:24:09 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies, I love to use herbs on my animals too. Should we post our ideas here or under Barnyard Buddies. I would love to learn from you, on this subject. I also love Juliette de Bairacli Levys' books. Brilliant woman.

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl Lizzy
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Elizabeth
Parkville MO
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  08:12:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm a new MJ farmgirl and this is my first post. Of course, it had to be on an herbal thread. I eat, drink and live herbs. I love to read herbal chatter; to see folks find and fall in love with herbs and others who have a long term relationship with herbs. I look forward to my MJ connections and visiting with other farm girls.

www.GBHfarm.com
www.GBHfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Lizzy

Green Blessings
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  08:54:01 AM  Show Profile
It is a good idea to use herbs on animals. I would love to learn from you ladies. I dont post alot, but I read. You ladies are a wealth of information. Vicki #280
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  09:54:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Lizzy and Victoria, I am an herbalist. Actually well into a Master Herbalist certification but have done it unofficially for years. I do not grow a whole lot of different kinds but have a few. Rosemary, comfrey, and others in the summer. Rosemary and comfrey are year round.

Since I do herbal consults I use two herbal companies mostly...Nature's Sunshine and New Sun, and I get some from Mountain Rose.

Hope you have a great time on here.

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  8:25:22 PM  Show Profile
I've been studying herbal medicine for a few years, some of it formally, some just on my own with my own garden and wildcrafting. the Pacific Northwest/Coastal BC is a treasure trove of healing plants. as for animals, they tend to respond really well to herbs. in my experience anyway. we don't have easy access to a large animal vet where i live and so far i've been able to handle most of my animals' health issues with herbs and Rescue Remedy. Rosemary Gladstar and Susun Weed are 2 of my favorite resources but there are many out there. and for the lavender lovers, lavender cheesecake can't be beat. same goes for adding a bit to your blackberry jam. yummmy!

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  08:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Someone told me once that thier goats would feel a little sluggish and she would give them a couple leaves of comfrey. The goats were fine the next day. Has anyone heard of this? Vicki
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  6:54:59 PM  Show Profile
I haven't heard of the comfrey leaves, Vicki butI will have to try it on my sheep.

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  1:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Fannie, could you post instructions for makiing a lavendar wand. I love lavendar! And this sounds so cute.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  7:38:08 PM  Show Profile
i'm an amateur but i have a small herbs garden
and love using them in everything for teas to remedies
i waiting for Horizon herbs cat.
last year added more lavender and sage plants can't wait for spring to start planting more herbs ..glad i found this site you all are so wise.

inch by inch
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:05:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm just now learning. I've started herbs 2 or 3 times indoors and they seem to die out really quickly, so I don't know what to do. Do they need certain exposures or what? I have cone flowers and lemon verbena in my flower garden as I didn't know these were considered herbs, but I'm thrilled to know they are. Now I just need to know what to do with them. I also have some yarrow. If I can just figure out how to get the other stuff to grow. I keep starting them from seeds and that seems to be when the trouble starts. Any suggestions?

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  4:41:46 PM  Show Profile
KayB, I think it is harder to start from seeds. My basil I started from seeds last year and it did really well but, some of the other herbs did not do as well. You need to have plenty of light when you start from seeds. Try some of the perennial herbs that will winter over like sage, thyme, chives. Dill is the herb of the year and they drop their seeds and so I have had that come back up. I am doing seeds again this year but, will probably buy some at the nursery as well.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  07:10:33 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a recipe for the lavender lemonade. Would also love the recipe for making the lavender tea. I would love to make some. Also besides the flowers can the petals be used in cooking and teas as well? Thanks so much.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  6:49:01 PM  Show Profile
hi lnda
here is a recipe for LAVENDER LEMONADE

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup (a generous handful) fresh or 1 tablespoon dried lavender blooms stripped from stems
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained
Ice cubes
Lavender sprigs for garnish
Combine sugar with 2 1/2 cups water in a medium pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Add the lavender blooms to the sugar water, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand at least 20 minutes (and up to several hours).
Strain mixture and discard lavender. Pour infusion into a glass pitcher. Add lemon juice and another 2 1/2 cups water. Stir well and watch lemonade change color.
Pour into tall glasses half-filled with ice or refrigerate until ready to use.

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic **What is Herbal Wisdom? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page