Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 How do you keep in touch with others?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic How do you keep in touch with others? Next Topic
Page: of 2

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  04:57:05 AM  Show Profile
I find it soo interesting, how others keep in touch with those outside their own state(family or otherwise),,,How do you keep in touch?
What are some special ways, you do this?...give us some ideas...

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  05:24:19 AM  Show Profile
I talk to my brother in Thailand through SKYPE. And sometimes we use MSN or email.
With SKYPE and the webcam we can also see eachother, fun

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
And also some pictures of my village, come for a visit
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  08:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I call, email, and write letters. The only thing is...sometimes I forget to mail the letters!! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  09:53:14 AM  Show Profile
Mostly E-mail, then cards, finally phone calls.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  2:29:33 PM  Show Profile
I also use SKYPE to talk to my sister in the UK. It is free and nice to see her and her family.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  3:01:10 PM  Show Profile
I prefer snail mail. There is something lovely about sitting down to write someone. It makes me breathe and reflect on the past week or so. I also like the fun of doodling on the pages or embellishing the envelope! I have even sent mail in a water bottle! Filled the bottle with note and some goodies, slapped an address label on the bottle and mailed it, not problem!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  08:14:10 AM  Show Profile
How do I keep in touch?
hmm....mostly, it is by writing letters. That gives me a chance to think through what I am going to say and then I have fun anticipating when my mailbox with return a reply.
Email is my other vice. I really don't care for the phone as the children think when the phone is to my ear that it means they are supposed to ask for something, get into something, or scream steadily at the top of their lungs until I stop and ask what they want to which they reply "Nothing."
so long and short would be snail mail letters and emails.
HUGS!

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

AprilRain
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

April
MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  08:20:34 AM  Show Profile
E-mail mostly for convenience, cost and the environment. (You know, "no trees were harmed in the sending of this message, but millions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced." ;) )

But I do love writing old-fashioned letters as well, and do so on certain occasions, including to friends and family overseas. I find that the extra effort is always appreciated, and I'm grateful enough for that that I don't mind not receiving them in kind. ;)

~April

http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  07:25:59 AM  Show Profile
This topic has not been written for a while, mucho water under the bridge since then...but, just thought Id ask this question again...

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~*Terri*~~
Life is too short, it is just a vapor, live it like you wont have another minute with the ones you love......
http://thecontentedwomannow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  11:44:56 AM  Show Profile
It all depends on the person:

Mom and Dad - phone call
Sister Vanessa (Audra Rose) - letter, phone call if it is an emergency
Brother Joe - phone call maybe once a year
Brother Michael - phone call every few months or when my computer has a problem

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Marilee
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  1:17:02 PM  Show Profile
We have recently located to a remote area in our native state. After being around my children and grandchildren for all of their lives, I am now 1800 miles or more from them all! Hubby and I are "retired" now. Building our log cabin in the woods and going off grid as much as we can. We currently use satellite for internet, so we are able email and Skype with our children and grands. I text my kids often just quick conversations. I am writing letters with my pen pals (my 2 granddaughters) and I am going to start writing letters again as I used to do when I was first married, years before the internet! I love to receive snail mail so in writing letters I hope those to whom I write choose to return a letter as well. :)
Go to Top of Page

Aprilla Rain
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

April
Fort walton beach Florida
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  6:28:01 PM  Show Profile
I wish i could say that i wrote letters, that is truly a lost art. I wish i could say Phone calls but i don't have a lot of time and being from Alabama well...that should tell you right there! My Mama, Aunties and cousins have that lovely gift of southern gab which can easily turn into hours on the phone and catching up with family gossip...well you get the point. I guess you could say I'm a old fashioned barefoot gal turned Facebook Queen, lol and if you see my Face book Paige you would understand, its filled with more cousins then you've ever seen, seriously i only have about 12 friends on there and the other two hundred and something are cousins. we keep up, send hugs, send prayers, encourage and cry with each other and lord knows we couldn't do that in general because we live so far apart, even my 80 year old Aunties Facebook. And we cant forget about texting..that is a daily occurrence for my siblings and I to stay updated. I live a clean green lifestyle and Im very old fashioned in every other way,a southern mess! But thank goodness for technology.

Aprilla Ault
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  8:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Mostly email, but I also will write a handwritten letter to family! When we want to talk to our parents in Cali, we use Google Hangouts, very similar to Skype, but we have less issues with the quality!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  8:44:25 PM  Show Profile
I must say that I still love to talk on the phone. I get to hear the voice and the inflections of the people I call and instant answers. A lot can be said in a few minutes. Next would be e-mail and I still love to write letters.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile
thanks you to all of you who wrote...sooo good to hear about and from other people/.......THANKS AGAIN !!!

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~*Terri*~~
Life is too short, it is just a vapor, live it like you wont have another minute with the ones you love......
http://thecontentedwomannow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  6:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Email, facebook, letters, phone calls, texts...depending on whom it is and where they are. Talk to my mom and dad and brother just about everyday via phone, text with family, facebook with other family and friends, and email. We are lucky we have so many modern options. I have a letter from my grandmother's sister to my grandmother. Letters were so special in the mail...they missed each other so much, but often were so homesick and lonely because they had to wait so long for the mail to come.

Interesting question! :)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  12:27:34 PM  Show Profile
My siblings are pretty scattered around the country, so we text and use facebook a lot. My baby brother lives in Tokyo, so we do all of the above PLUS Facetime! We have always been very close, and being able to see each other's faces makes it so much better. I call my parents every Wednesday, as we live about 2800 miles apart. My mother still likes to receive handwritten notes and cards. She can't write anymore, so my dad bought her a little typewriter so she can type her own letters.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 09 2015 :  05:27:59 AM  Show Profile
Now, sometimes we email small stuff. Rarely we'll talk on the phone. I've always been big on hand written letters, so that's what we do most. The most faithful one lives in Georgia. Even when she had a problem with her hand and had to type the letters, she always signed her name by hand...there's something special about that.

We met and attended school in South Houston but my family moved to Conroe in 1964. After she married, she moved to Georgia and has been there ever since. But, from 1964 till present, each of us mails one letter a month. It's sort of a project. We add something when there's something to add, giving the date and time we're writing, until we have about 8 pages front and back. A letter like that is like a visit! It's a special thing.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
(Includes 'The Simply Lived Life' blog)
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  8:35:33 PM  Show Profile
I have only one sister. She is a big city gal.We share a rare private message on Facebook. I have a cousin in California. He is 65, staying with my 102 year old uncle, his dad, so he can live in his own home. His wife recently retired and splits her time between them and home. He and I talk on the phone, laughing as we remember our childhood visits to grandma's farm. I send care packages and letters that he reads to my uncle. About four years ago I began to look for my daddy's little half brother. He was twelve when I was born. Thankfully the internet was very useful. I boldly sent a large envelope of copies of some pictures of my parents and a letter he had written to my daddy. I was not for sure it was him, but hopeful. God is so good. It was my uncle. He only lived about a year longer, but he gave me four cousins, all young women. We communicate through Facebook. I have enjoyed so much getting to know them in this way. My own son and his family live "in spittin' distance of us. We wave, speak on the phone and share Sunday dinner, usually at our house.

TexasGran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 12 2015 8:41:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

mustangmomma
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Becky
Princeton MO
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  11:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Our daughter and the grandkids = FaceTime, our youngest son and his son = FaceTime, our oldest son = text msg, our middle son will call. My mom will email us and/or snail mail, she likes to send pictures and newspaper articles . . . all this while my husband and I are spending the summer on our off grid, formerly Amish farm in upper middle Missouri. We use a generator to charge up an iPad, iPods, phones and laptop. The iPad allows us internet connect via satellite or wifi (if we go somewhere that provides it). We hope soon, that a wind generator will be put to task. We also use solar panels, but not enough to quickly do what a generator will do.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  05:05:45 AM  Show Profile
I love to write letters but that usually only happens with pen pals and a cousin and Aunt. Dad lives with us so... my brothers call my dad and we call each other.
My daughter who lives far, phone calls often. The daughter who lives close, text, FB, in person. Son lives at home. Pretty much FB with all the rest of the cousins and family.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  5:44:21 PM  Show Profile
Facebook or letters for me. Occasional texting. Pretty much everyone is reachable through Facebook messaging for me.

Hugs,
Jessica

F.K.A. CRsHelpmeet

"A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence to admire the flowers in your garden."
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  9:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Texting, email, and Skype is how I talk to my parents back in Indiana. My mom loves Skype, but my dad can barely figure out how to turn his phone on so we mainly stick to texting!

Farmgirl Sister #5159
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  04:27:49 AM  Show Profile
Mostly email and Facebook. My brother and I talk on the phone often, too.

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  3:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Mostly email with my siblings. But my two older sisters are on Facebook too, so that way with them as well.
Email and Facebook with other members of the family. I talk with my daughter several times a week and we text often, occasionally instant message on Facebook. Not so much email with her.
We still use handwritten method with some . . . I send all my siblings and their spouses birthday cards every year too!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  06:19:54 AM  Show Profile
My cousins in Washington state, whom I have not met, Facebook. My cousins in Oregon and California, Facebook. I have one cousin, a man in the desert of southern California, where he is taking care of his dad, my uncle who is 103, we talk on the phone about every three weeks. My sister Facebook, but she got perturbed with me for messaging her when I could just email. I can not remember her email address. And, furthermore, what is wrong with a message? My son and his family live very near. We share a late Sunday lunch and visit. I talk to him on the phone, usually about his vast assortment of animals or is a person in a _____ colored truck supposed to be out here? We live in the first of three houses on a dead end private road so I usually hear or see anyone who comes by. If I have never seen them before, I ask him.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.
www.etsy.com/shop/
anniemayme
Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic How do you keep in touch with others? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page