Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  11:06:07 AM  Show Profile
What wonderful ideas. I am going to start using it right away for starting fires outside. The kids will love it.

Thanks

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  11:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I haven't started a compost here, so that's not doable yet, but stuffing for pin cushions!!! What a great idea. Except for a few fire starters I have always just thrown it away.

My DH just built me a new sewing room,(yea, yea, yea!!!) So I could use a few new ones.

I love the suggestion of putting some lint in the bottom of the trash bag as well, to absorb the greasy, sloppy spills in the bottom. Wonderful idea.
I'll never throw it into the laundry room waste basket again.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  04:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
Libbie, if you put the "crunchy" (love that!) towels in the dryer with a damp washcloth for 5-10 minutes on high heat, they will soften. Do that with clothes too and it will take the wrinkles out!

quote:
Originally posted by Libbie

Summer is clothesline time around here, but I've had a little family rebellion over "crunchy" towels, so I'll be doing a few dryer loads, too.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  12:30:33 PM  Show Profile
We use dryer lint for the firestarters and I highly recommend it. Bought a HUGE bag of candles (enough to use for the next couple of years) at a thrift store for $2.50. Used a larger tin can and an old saucepan of boiling water. Break the candles up into junks, put it in the tin can (keep the lid attached to the can for a handle and bend opposite of the can for easy pouring), put the tin can in the boiling water until the wax melts. Stuff dryer lint into the egg slots of an egg carton then pour the melted wax over the lint until full. Once they are cooled, cut individually and waa-la! So far this winter we haven't had to use any kindling, just a couple smaller logs to start the fire. The only cost was the candles, but if you burn candles varily often, just save the last bits of your candles. And if your candles are scented, your house will smell wonderful while your melting them.

Tommie

Farmgirl Sister #2590

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:57:12 AM  Show Profile
I started hanging up my clothes instead of using the dryer. When I used the dryer I was saving the lint to use to start outdoor fires. Pretty handy but I no longer have dryer lint!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  12:04:00 PM  Show Profile
That is wonderful. I have always thrown lint away. Thanks for all the great ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  1:01:28 PM  Show Profile
I've heard that you can also use dryer lint to make your own decorative paper. I've never tried it, but this has inspired me to do some research and give it a try!

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  4:58:12 PM  Show Profile
I have never thought about composting (or any other use for) lint! What awesome ideas!!! I will be putting a lint container next to the dryer to reuse it! Thanks!!!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Judyr808
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Judy
Hood River Oregon
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  2:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Judyr808 a Yahoo! Message
I just saw on the news where a lady uses dryer LENT to make pictures. She made a copy of "The Last Supper", I think 4'x 8' and sold it for $1000's . The human mind is amazing!!!
Judy

Love & Light
Go to Top of Page

pleasantvalleyfarm1
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Beckyann
Tillamook oregon
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Woe! thanks ladies for the ideas, one more thing to reuse in my house. Loving it! I am making some stuff dolls for foster kids right now I will use it for that.

Farmgirl Forever!
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  9:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Re-using my dryer lint has never crossed my mind. I am so thankful to read all of these neat ideas. I will start collecting from now on and will be happy when my campfires start right up! ;D

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

RNchicklet
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Robin
Dagsboro DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  3:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Send RNchicklet a Yahoo! Message
Excellent ideas! Thanks so much. Am just starting to compost and will add the lint to the pile. Also plan to put some out for the birds and squirrels. Clean lint can also be used in a pinch to stop a bleeding wound until the wound can be cleaned and appropriately bandaged. Great for use in a first aid kit.

Happy chickens lay the nicest eggs!
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2019 :  7:28:40 PM  Show Profile
I knew that dryer lint was good for starting fires, I just didn't think about putting it in trees to help the birds find nest building material. Great idea.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2019 :  11:20:22 PM  Show Profile
My sister used to felt dryer lint to use in other projects.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2019 :  6:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Judith, really? That is interesting. I would like to try something like that. What a great way to recycle.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2019 :  12:04:15 PM  Show Profile
I also recycle mine but mostly as a fire starter. I went to an art show in DC once also and saw incredible art made from lint! Here are a couple of pieces by Heidi Hooper. Isn't she amazing?? Thanks for the other great tips! Never thought about the critters!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2019 :  7:09:41 PM  Show Profile
Dianna, those pictures are amazing. So many uses for what most people call trash. I try to think of ways I can repurpose and reuse. I have never dreamed of dryer lint for art.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2019 :  5:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Do you all use wool dryer balls? I bought three from Grove back in the spring. They really shorten the drying time. I have my dip three for her birthday...she loves them. Now I've ordered three more for my oldest married grand daughter.
When I was at the laundromat that day I visited with a younger lady who was doing her family wash. She had a two gallon bag full of wool dryer balls.
She told me they sold their home two years ago and her appliances stayed. They had never replaced the washer and dryer! She told me that she decided to set aside Tuesday morning as wash day. As soon as everyone left for work and school, off to the laundromat she went, coffee and detergent, as well as her big bag of dryer balls. When the three hours were done and her clothes were all clean, dry, folded, and sorted into different baskets for different family members, and different areas of their home...she was ready to go home and unload. Now that is a smart young woman! She did not have to think about laundry the rest of the week.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2019 :  5:02:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

Do you all use wool dryer balls? I bought three from Grove back in the spring. They really shorten the drying time. I gave my dil three for her birthday...she loves them. Now I've ordered three more for my oldest married grand daughter.
When I was at the laundromat that day I visited with a younger lady who was doing her family wash. She had a two gallon bag full of wool dryer balls.
She told me they sold their home two years ago and her appliances stayed. They had never replaced the washer and dryer! She told me that she decided to set aside Tuesday morning as wash day. As soon as everyone left for work and school, off to the laundromat she went, coffee and detergent, as well as her big bag of dryer balls. When the three hours were done and her clothes were all clean, dry, folded, and sorted into different baskets for different family members, and different areas of their home...she was ready to go home and unload. Now that is a smart young woman! She did not have to think about laundry the rest of the week.

TexasGran

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2019 :  5:34:45 PM  Show Profile
I was using cotton balls to put drops of peppermint essential oil on to help keep spiders away. I think I will use wadded up lint from the dryer. It would work every bit as good and is cheaper.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2021 :  02:24:44 AM  Show Profile
Someone gave me a nesting ball..its made from little branches and stuffed with in unspun wool. You hang it on a tree branch for birds to pull pieces out to make their nests.
I refilled it with dryer lint and they seem to like it too...

All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes

Deborah
jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Mar 04 2021 02:26:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2021 :  12:24:52 PM  Show Profile
I was almost finished making my Dotee doll for the swap, couldn't find my bag of polyfil stuffing, and didn't feel like venturing out to buy some. I had just washed and dried our big red Hudson Bay wool blanket, It was the first time it was washed so there was lots of beautiful red wool lint so my Valentine Dotee was stuffed with it. I used to use old nylon stockings for stuffing but haven't worn them for many years. They were good for stuffing kid toys as they are washable and dry fast.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TinaTina
Chapter Guru

31 Posts

Tina
Bethel Island CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2023 :  3:10:19 PM  Show Profile
I love the pictures of the panda and the bird using dryer lint and would love to here more about how they did this. It's very creative

Tina Vandaam
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome:  Dryer Lint Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page