Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What I have learned from MaryJane!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What I have learned from MaryJane!!!! Next Topic
Page: of 5

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  05:23:37 AM  Show Profile
OHHHHH .. this is gonna' be my mos' fav game ever! (and i doooooooo LOVE to play games!)

there will be a really nice prize for ONE winner of this fun game!
(i'll probably pull together a 'farmgirl kitchen set' .. which will include a beautiful vintage APRON .. and wonderful COOK-BOOK .. some vintage kitchen items .. and more!) ohhhh .. and of course, a rag-chile from Sister Mercy's Foundlin' Home for Rag Chillen!

(i will share pics of the prizes from time to time as i keep adding to them!)

NOW .. ya' gotta' have MaryJane's BOOKS and/or MAGAZINES to be able to play this one .. and you still have time before the game is over to ORDER them! I'm gonna' let this one be on-going for awhile to give everyone lots of chances to win.

For EVERY posting that you share with us something "you have learned from reading MaryJane's books and magazines" (and it's best to jus' put ONE thing per posting .. that way .. you'll have MORE chances to win!

i'll put your name in a basket for each 'sharing' posting you make! and in about a month or so ... i'll count up each gurlz postings .. put your name in the basket for each one and draw out a name!

MOST of all .. i think this will be a marvelous way for us all to share how MaryJane has impacted our lives in such a positive way!

o.k. gurlfrenz .. get out those books and magazines and get to postin'!! xoxo

p.s. i won't be in the drawing .. but i'll surely be sharing with you too!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  05:33:24 AM  Show Profile
Okay...I'll jump in with one that comes to mind first and that is:

MJ showed me that even just one individual can make a positive contribution to their community through a grassroots effort.

Thanks for doing this Frannie....you should me a "moderator"...you get good threads going....is that because you're a seamstress? LOL! I know...bad pun...it's early here what can I say...I need more coffee!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:15:25 AM  Show Profile
oh sandra .. i jus' love maryjane and family and friends .. she is such an inspiration to women all over the country .. and all we can do to help support her in any way is small compared to all she has given to us.

HA! honey .. i make 'rag dolls' .. cuz' they don't care if seams are straight .. or if their hem isn't 'hemmed'!

xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:17:37 AM  Show Profile
i LOVE the quotes in maryjane's magazines and books .. i'll list a bunch of them soon .. gotta' 'git' offa' this machine contraption and go visit luna and kathy!!

it's gonna' be such a fun day .. i'm taking a 'picnic lunch' (HA! from Col. Sanders probably!) .. then luna and i are going to help kathy decorate her log cabins for an upcoming show .. and make plans for our GURLFRENZ GATHERING .. then to luna's for dinner vittles .. then .. to the movies to see MAMA MIA!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:39:48 AM  Show Profile
I have learned from MaryJane's how to make my own no-frills-frilly apron. It was easier to do than a "simple" apron I started making last year and still haven't finished. And it is so feminine, yet not fussy, and the pictures invited all sorts of creative expression so I can use the pattern as a guide instead of a rule. Aprons don't bind and gag if you make and use them with creativity and a positive outlook. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I love all the recipes in her books and magazines...especially ones that center on snacks that I can feed my kiddos. They aren't really picky, but I have a hard time sneaking somethings in! My favorite is the recipe for Pemmican. We do a lot of outdoors activities during the fall/winter seasons, and this is filling and good. Of course it travels well, and all the fam loves it!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:51:13 AM  Show Profile
Grace and resourcefulness, come to mind first...so many things I've learned from this wonderful woman that I have a hard time putting it into words

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
This is an easy one for me. While my mind runs over the list of all the "things"... the sewing and the canning and the cooking and the likes... I think the thing I have learned the most is to always think about the "possibilites".. to create the world you want to be in, whether at home or community, or world.... Often the world wants to tell us we "cannot"... do, or live or be a certain way. and as a farmgirl I am beginning to understand that the possibilities are endless...Thanks MaryJane.. dreams do come true!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  09:43:41 AM  Show Profile
I am struck by her complete honesty, which overflows into integrity (or flows from it) and the fact that she is not afraid to open her life and be an inspiration. Being an inspiration must be a very hard job. I admire her very much.

I have learned from MaryJane that being a farmgirl is OKAY!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 24 2008 09:50:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  10:42:17 AM  Show Profile
I've learned that I can be a farmgirl even though I live in the city (for now...I hope to change that someday!)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  11:29:38 AM  Show Profile
I have learned that even though I do live on a farm, I, too, can be a farmgirl.
I am a 2 acre farmgirl.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  12:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane is so inspiring, I love and admire her "can-do" attitude. She has opened up a world of the most fabulous women to me, many who share the same interests as I do. For that I am very grateful.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  1:34:10 PM  Show Profile
I have learned that hanging clothes on the clothes line IS a fun job! I never wanted one till I got Mjs book. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  1:40:29 PM  Show Profile
I have learned from MJ to not be afraid of my sewing machine and use it!! I did and made lounge pants!!! YAY

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  2:38:36 PM  Show Profile
What I have gained from MJ (and from YOU gals here!) is to step out of my comfort zone! Just get out there and do it, live life to the fullest!

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  05:39:01 AM  Show Profile
Another thing I've learned from MJ and everyone else here is how to recycle & reuse and to let my imagination run free to create new things out of old.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  08:10:06 AM  Show Profile
I got her first book when I was pregnant with my 6th.. For one it was so comforting.. Like having your Auntie, Grandma, Mom etc.. all gathered around you at that special time in your life.. It was also an aha moment... There are others out there who believe in the womanly arts like I do.. Who also love to get out there and get dirty in the garden.. It was love at first read. I carried that book with me whereever I went for the rest of my pregnancy.. It was my friend :-)

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:42:43 AM  Show Profile
I have gotten my very first swap box from MJ's connection how fun is that thanks MJ"S!!!

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  3:30:06 PM  Show Profile
I have learned that I can do more crafts than one. Everytime I look in MJ's book I find something else I want to do.Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  3:54:51 PM  Show Profile
I think the thing that I have learned is to "Trust Myself." I can do anything I want or acquire anything I need if only I believe in my ability to achieve it and then get my butt in there & get workin' at it!!! MaryJane has achieved so much because she gets in there & works hard & doesn't give up!!

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  5:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Everything that I have felt and done (hang the laundry outside for 30 years, treat the earth with respect, grow our own veggies, etc.) she has written down with such preciseness and poise that I accept the fact that all the hard work I've done to help preserve the people and things that I love really isn't work but a privilege! My girls looked through her book one day and said, "Oh my gosh! She uses wooden racks to dry clothes, too!" She speaks and writes in English. I appreciate that! Susan
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  6:42:00 PM  Show Profile
ya-ya's .. i'm loving what you kids are learning from maryjane's books and magazines .. keep sharing! xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  6:49:09 PM  Show Profile
The wind chime in the last magazine, from silverware. I love it! The two boys who are still at home are going to make those for Christmas gifts this year.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  8:46:33 PM  Show Profile
I have learned 2 things: If you get up and work hard that you can do anything. Also, you can be a farmgirl on the land and still be a lady.

I am loving these answers!

Blessings!
~Farrah
www.homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/

Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what a neat topic! So many have already voiced some of what I have learned, but an additional one would be that I am not alone!! There are others out there who feel as I do and want to get back to the land even if in a small way. MaryJane is a great mentor and many of the things I am seeing in her books and magazines are things I had been trying to do but was constantly put down about while married. Now I am free to do them and I am loving every minute of it! It is work, but it is much more rewarding to look at my little pantry filled up with jars of canned home-grown produce knowing I have done a good day's job than to have nothing to show for other things I would have done for an employer.

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  08:04:11 AM  Show Profile
I have learned that I can take the skills that I have learned over the years (sewing, baking, knitting) and look at them with fresh eyes, farmgirl eyes. I've been insipred to take up things like baking my own bread again after to many years of not doing.

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Imagine the view from the top of your dreams

www.getaclew.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What I have learned from MaryJane!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page