Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  10:11:52 AM  Show Profile
Tuesday night I went to our local dry pack cannery (an LDS thing..but anyone can go there..to buy basic supplies for food storage in #10 cans...they hold about a gallon...dry things like flour, sugar, rice, oatmeal and like that) it is one of my favorite places to buy "stock up items". The one here in town is open twice a month and I try (but hadn't been there for a few months) to get there at least once a month to replace things we have used up. When we got there, there was a big sign on the door that they are out of wheat...I guess alot of people have been afraid and really stocking up on wheat. Even 6 months ago they NEVER were out of it! I didn't need wheat since I am stocked up alot with that, but it did sort of make me worry for others. I got 6 cans of sugar, 6 cans of rice, 6 cans of flour (we like some white flour mixed in with our whole wheat bread to help it be lighter) and 2 cans of dried chopped onions (wonderful to have on hand)and a can of dried crispy apples...a great fun snack. We use alot of rice and I need to get 6 more cans of rice and more oats to round out what we keep on hand. Just feels good to be stocked up.
Has anyone else encountered the lack of wheat supply thing? We try to always keep a years supply of food so I don't really feel rushed to get things but sounds like people are worrying!
As an aside.....if any of you have Mormon neighbors or friends and want to take advantage of the dry packs..most areas have one you can go to. They are open to anyone. Great prices and great way to store things. A can holds about 5 lb. of flour or sugar...just to get an idea.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  10:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jenny! That's unbelievable! We have a canning day planned for Saturday. I'll let you know if the cannery has wheat. Like you, I have quite a bit of wheat but I am in need of rice, oats and dry milk. Did you see where you can order wheat, rice, oats and pinto beans from distribution from the lds.org? And you can get oxygen packets, which is great if you want to do canning at home. I use regular canning jars, add my product (usually rice or flour) and add a packet. Works like a charm!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  12:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny -

Thanks for bringing this up! I did some research and here is what I found out.

My understanding is that there is NOW a world wide wheat shortage. Mainly due to draughts. The US is trying to pump out a lot of wheat - we have doubled our production. But we do not have enough to make up for the droughts else where. Wheat prices have gone up over 35% since jan of this year. According to reports the US consumer will begin filling the crunch around May or June. They expect bread prices to reach $3.50 a loaf.
The other side of this is that as farmers in the US move to produce wheat there is less HAY AND CORN being farmed..SO higher prices for this as well.
Do you feel like we are going around in circles here..

I am going to began my wheat stock pile NOW.

Thanks for the LDS info. I just ordered some stuff

small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  12:36:40 PM  Show Profile
I think I will stock up a little on mine as well. Thank goodness flour freezes well.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  1:12:39 PM  Show Profile
I freeze mine as well Kate and think I will go into town as our Superstore there carries organic white and wholewheat cheap. The story about the wheat shortage was even in our local news last night, stating that bakeries and pastry shops were going to have to raise their prices.
Thanks for this Jenny, I think it's time to stock the larder!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What Tamara mentions is right. The wheat farmers on the Palouse have already sold their crops that won't be harvested till this summer. Some pre-sold to lock in the rate of around $13 a bushel. Normally a high price would be around $6-7 a bushel.

Luckily we don't eat a lot of bread, though things like crackers and pasta will be high as well. I think I will be cooking a lot with oats!

My horse rancher friends are already feeling the pinch. Bran is about $20 a bag where is is normally around $10, and with so many fields being plowed and planted to wheat, hay is already scarce.

Hopefully the rains will come as needed and everything will be bountiful this year.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  1:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Alee -

This link is up on MSN today. It talks about a wheat disease that is now playing into all of this...http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/?fpn=new%20wheat%20crisis%20plagues%20world%20food%20supply

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  1:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Even with the market down right now, wheat is still booking at about $10.50 (CBOT).

Wish we grew it!

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - Peanut on Mar 27 2008 1:28:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  2:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ugh. More bio engineered seeds being grown everywhere.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  2:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here's to eating lots of oatmeal!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  3:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Jenny
How would I find out if our area has a local dry pack cannery? We have an LDS church in town about 5 miles away. Would it be there??? I have always admired the Mormons for having these, but didn't realize that anyone could go. That would be great.
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  3:48:01 PM  Show Profile
I have heard the price increase is due to the fact that farmers are growing more corn for ethonoland less wheat, so the price goes up from demand.

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  4:16:32 PM  Show Profile
We actually made more money from beans than from corn last year.

The U.S. is exporting much of its wheat to China, where the growth in food demand is constantly increasing. Blizzards damaged a large portion of China's rapeseed crop this year, so they'll be importing even more.

I read a few weeks ago that China is going to become one of the world's largest importers of grain this year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  7:24:50 PM  Show Profile
Lisa..if you look up the LDS church in your area in the phone book the Bishop's # will no doubt be listed. (probably more than one Bishop since there will probably be more than one congregation or "ward" meeting in each building) You can ask if they have a dry pack cannery and where it is,and when it is open. Usually it is in a building outside the church building..ours is a smallish building right behind the church. Or it could be in the next town at the Stake center...depends on the area I think. When I lived in CAlif it was at a private business's outbuilding. VERY worth asking though.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  9:03:16 PM  Show Profile
I stopped at the grocery store tonight, and the king arthur wheat flour I usually buy went from $2.97 up to $3.97.

I also thought I would check the price on Kraft Macaroni and Cheese- the standard/regular blue box and it went from $0.77 the last time I bought it- probably a month or so ago, to $1.07 tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things are going to get ugly indeed. Hope I don't starve.
Definitely going to pull out my bread maker and figure it out as my favorite is past three dollars per loaf.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Mar 27 2008 9:04:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  9:40:49 PM  Show Profile
My $3.67, 5lb bag of organic flour was $4.87 today. I bought five and put them in the freezer. Last weekend I went into a local bakery to buy small dinner buns for Easter dinner...they were .75 cents each! Needless to day I came home and baked my own. Scary and the 25lbs of flour I put in the freezer today won't last long.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  9:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think I am going to stock up on MJF Budget Mix before the wheat prices get too crazy. It will last me longer and be more useful than plain flour.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  10:39:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will check our cannery or I will just give my Relief Society President a call first. I am sure she will know. You are correct about where the canneries are located. Mine is several miles away but worth the drive & effort. Wish ours was on our church grounds!! How convenient is that! We do have dry packing in a ward members home every few months where we get the dry packing equipment & supplies on loan from the cannery.

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  10:41:48 AM  Show Profile
I am very lucky..within walking distance is how close mine is. Of course..wouldn't want to walk carrying all that stuff...haha. Hmmm in summer I guess I could take the wagon.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  11:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Walking distance? How wonderful would that be? Ours is a 45-minute drive, not too bad, and well worth the trip. But closer by would be lovely.
Have you seen where they have changed the storage life for the basics? 30+ for wheat, beans and sugar, and 20 for milk! I thought I was going to have to fertilize the garden with some out-of-date milk I had. Only now, it's not out-of-date! Whoo-hoo!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  11:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny-
I went to the LDS.org site and we are ordering the wheat on line. I noticed you can do that. It does cost more but I thought I would be a good idea to get some now. The LDS distribution in our area is a 2 hour drive.

I think we will drive down in a couple of weeks and buy up some things then.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  1:03:03 PM  Show Profile
That is cool that you can order the wheat online. I think it is worth it for sure. I am real stocked on wheat..but still do have a couple other holes in my food storage to fill.
I was happy to see the dry milk thing too,Karin. Since we have had Mona I just am not good about rotating the milk...but will try to use some this summer and get some new to keep it rotated. I am amazed how long the dates all the basics stay good for. Sure helps!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  2:43:33 PM  Show Profile
So if we are in need of wheat why are we sending it to China?

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  6:51:33 PM  Show Profile
There's not a shortage of wheat in the U.S., but it is a much-needed commodity in China and other parts of the world. Worldwide demand is controlling the price.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  7:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Me too Alee, I think I'll order a large bunch of budget mix on pay day and just trim back what we eat in wheat products. This is crazy and I'm going to be using a lot of oats and other grains this year, thanks for the heads up everyone. I was thinking that the higher prices were due to the rise in oil prices or something.... I'm a ditz sometimes :P I should have put it together. My landlady sold her wheat for an ungodly price this year.

And thank all of you for the LDS information, I have a good sized pantry and need to start making better use of it! Will be checking with the local church to see what I can do about it.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  09:00:05 AM  Show Profile
I am for sure using more oats than I have ever. I love oatmeal bread and we just don't get tired of oats for sure...a great thing to store!
I need to stock up on budget mix too..love that stuff.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wow Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page