Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  1:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Marie Hilliard (horselover, #2214) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I have volunteered for our church ministry FISH (Faith In Serving Humanity), since 2001. We are a thrift store, we help with housing, medical, food, utilities, and emergency funds. I also have been with Georgia Equine Rescue League for three years, this is a horse rescue service. Back Pack Lunches is a summer program for kids we sponsor through FISH, we make lunches and drive through our community passing them out.

We have been successful in all three programs. I spent 12 hours a week with FISH, the rescue league is on call as I am needed to transport a horse in trouble, can be up to five hours depending on location and loading horse. The backpack lunch is five days a week with three hour shifts. This is truly rewarding work. These community services will always be a part of my life as long as I can service them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  1:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Cross (#2422) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have committed to using "green" cleaning products. I make my own laundry soap, diswasher soap, and cleaning products. I have been using them off and on for the past year but I have learned the benefit of doing it all the time now. I am committed!

I have shared the receips and even samples of the clenaing products I've made with several friends. Some of them have also committed to go green and the other work full time outside the home and will make it when they have time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  1:41:06 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Cross (#2422) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I have rid my home of commercial cleaners. I use only cleaners I make myself. Laundry, dishwasher, general purpose cleaners. I also hang my clothes outside on the line to dry. I repainted my house last year with non toxic paint and we removed all the carpet from our home last year.

I am proud to provide a cleaner environment for my family. No harsh chemicals in the air or on the surfaces. I tell all my friends and encourage them to do the same."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  1:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Cross (#2422) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We built a chicken coop, purchased chickens, gathered eggs, feed them and muck out the stalls. We've added pigs to the mix as well.

Our family has enjoyed it immensely. We look forward to gathering the eggs. Our chickens and even the pigs are like pets, very friendly. Friends have started purchasing the eggs from us and it seems like the demand is more than then supply. We will be adding to our flock soon."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Cross (#2422) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"In August of 2010 I started a compost and add to it daily. We are planning a vegetable garden for the spring and I will use the compost in the garden.

I love getting more use from our scraps and left overs and knowing this will help our vegetables in the spring."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  2:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Oliver (Valgirl7, #2356) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I had so much fun fishing through my huge array of buttons to find all the ones that were just black and gold. I love these buttons. I also found several VERY large buttons that looked so fun. I had so much fun making the first bracelet that I kept going and made two. Sure beats sitting and watching the tellie (nothing good to watch anyways).

I love the way my new bracelets turned out. I may just have to wear them to church this Sunday. I love black and gold together anyways. It looks so glamorous....farmgirl style of course...I had so much fun making these bracelets I may just have to make some more."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  3:11:15 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I studied the french seam, flat fell seam, and blind hem hand stitch.

I hand pieced quilt blocks, sewed straight seams by hand and machine.

Inspired me to try to finish off the seams on my next sewing projects."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  3:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Janese Ballard (#1460) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I served as the Women's Ministry Team Leader for 16 months organizing and planning events and bible study to enrich the lives of women. I coordinated with a team of 10 ladies. I spent well over 10 hours.

It was a very rewarding experience. Very positive feedback and evaluations."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  3:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Janese Ballard (#1460) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Community Service badge.

"I continued serving as Leader of Womens Ministry team, putting in well over 20 hours of service in 16 months of service.

Very rewarding!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  4:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Janese Ballard (#1460) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Community Service badge.

"As the women's ministry team leader I chose to do things very differently and think outside the box. The director and I talked often during my planning and she gave me free rein to try different things. I spent well over 40 hours.

The director was pleasantly surprised and expressed that she was doubtful. The evaluations from the ladies who attended events were very positive and the director could not find any complaints from anyone, she said that never happens."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  4:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Janese Ballard (#1460) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Families badge.

"I helped a sister clean and organize her home and set up filling system and budget for bills. She had been in severe depression after her daughter went to prison. I spent two weekends well over 10 hours total.

She was relieved and grateful and able to get back on track."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  4:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Garver (13Grandma, #2316) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I made a set of burp rags and a receiving blanket out of flannel. I made a crochet edging around each of the items (2 burp rags and one receiving blanket). From start to finish it takes me 5 hours to make the set. It takes me at least 3 hours to crochet. I also showed my niece how to make the edging.

They turned out terrific. I made this set for a girl who had her first baby. In her family there are several marines, so I made it out of a camo looking pink flannel with the Marine motto Semper Fi. They were very surprised and very excited."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  4:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Janese Ballard (#1460) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Lend a Hand to Families badge.

"Drove over an hour to clean a sister's house when daughter's dad was killed in auto accident and grandmother was seriously injured. She had to be at the hospital and was unable to get her home cleaned for relatives coming in.

She was very grateful and relieved."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  4:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Garver (13Grandma, #2316) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I really got started going green for a couple of different reasons. One, I was tired of paying the big dollars for laundry detergent. We also have several allergies to different types of cleaners etc. I thought if it is bad for us, it can't be good for the world at large. So after hearing about others not liking the same things as me I started looking.

I found the recipes in your magazine "MaryJanesFarm," after I had found them online and I thought I can do this! So I tried it and it was easy.

I continue to make it all the time and don't plan on stopping until I can no longer make it cause I am to old and feeble. Then I plan on my kids helping me do it.

I have five children and all five of them have tried it and three of them are using it still. I shared the recipe with our women's group and I know that quite a few of them have made it and are using it too. One woman shared with me that she had shared the recipe with her sisters and that they were all making and using it now. I really felt like it is making a difference, maybe not global yet but it is a start!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  4:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Janese Ballard (#1460) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have six hens, and one rooster, they are free range. I also had two hens sit on eggs and hatch 20 chicks, I sold them to a neighbor. This is ongoing project.

I love my chickens, they are like pets. I love having fresh eggs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  4:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Janese Ballard (#1460) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have a sewing basket with these items and a cute covered box that has a pin cushion on top. I also have a full sewing room."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  4:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Janese Ballard (#1460) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I cleaned out my Granny's house that had been left just like it was from the 1930s. I retrieved her sewing basket and a tin of mother of pearl buttons and several other colors.

I love looking at my buttons."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  5:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Stephania Papi (#2123) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I looked around and gathered up reusable bags/totes that I had received over the years as freebies! Then I place some in my car, some in my husband's truck, and even one in my purse.

Better than I thought. Even my husband has taken to using them, and if I ever forget, there is ALWAYS one in my purse."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  10:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"This badge was fun because I was half way there anyway. I have been going through my cleaning products and once the old stuff was gone I would replenish with the "green" ones. Finally, there are a few to choose from on the store shelves but I am trying to use the natural ones such as vinegar and baking soda and I want to find the different ingredients for the laundry soap once this liquid kind is all gone.

My Mission Statement: Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or Go with out. Yes I stole it but it makes sense without all the BULL. (Makes it simple and easy to recall.)

As for the Green Journal, I kept it simple also.
1. Recycle EVERYTHING.
2. Reuse any fabrics for SOMETHING.
3. Repurpose ALL things possible.
4. DILUTE all soaps, shampoos, etc.
5. Reheat ALL leftovers.
6. Keep thermostat on energy-saving setting.
7. ALWAYS take shopping bags to store.

I have shared all this with 2 of my friends and my sisters and they are very supportive and talked about trying to be better in their own homes.

I have been working with this Mission Statement for sveral months now and have decided to post it on the fridge. That way all members of the family will be able to see it and hopefully my DD and DS will grow up with respect for their environment."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  10:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I searched the internet for toxic cleaners and their replacements and found that vinegar is one of the most simple and natural ingredient and can be used for just about everything. The toxic cleaners have fumes and sometimes leave a residue.

I am committed to using vinegar in my house. I actually like the smell. It smells fresh and also reminds me of my grandparents."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  10:57:13 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I had a rough start with my Gratitude Journal. I started two different times but each time I started I didn't look back at what I had written before. Once I completed the 30 days (3rd attempt), I looked back and was surprised at the duplicate entries. I have found that journaling is very satisfying and have started to do this with the ranch also. I can jot down calf births and my To-Do list every day as the day is progressing and it helps to have my journal page right there in my date-book.

Very satisfied with journaling now when I used to see no need since I had my check list. My BFF says I should start a blog because of the ranch and the daily ups and downs and work load but I like the journal. It is useful and something to pass down to the next generation of ranchers (DD and DS)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:03:33 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I ordered day old chicks this year in early spring. I was really going to do this right so I ordered 25 of the Buff Orpington (love the temperament and color of these). I ordered straight-run thinking I would get 50% male and 50% female, wrong. Of the 25 ordered plus 2 free (surprise breeds) only 6 were females. The plan was to have hens for eggs and pullets for the freezer but so few girls!!!!
Even less once the predators found out how to get to them. So this year I will be putting 6 into the freezer (that's all the varmints left us). They will be very tasty since they have been eating from the compost heap and free-ranging all around the ranch. They are always busy and very beautiful to watch. I will miss them in the yard but look forward to a large pot of chicken and dumplings soon.

Organic feeds are hard to find and very pricey but I love my chicks and try to give them the best so they will BE the best on the table. And next year I will order exactly the sexes I want."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:07:56 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We don't have very many dairy cows in my area but there is a large dairy farm north of here. I took a day trip and visited. I milked cows at my cousins farm when I was younger for one summer and we had a great time. So I knew how to milk already. The farm I visited is all automated and milking time takes much less time than I remembered from childhood (it took hours back then). I offered to help out when they needed help but they said they already have a network of helpers on call (family I think). I enjoyed my day. I raise cattle for beef (grass-fed of course), so I am always interested to see other breeds at work.

I have checked into the heritage breeds of cattle and chickens and turkeys. I may try to add turkeys to the ranch along with the chickens next spring."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"The web site eatwild.com was very good. It sure makes you think. Everyone should read that and then go back and read it again. I raise grass-fed beef and there is a HUGE difference in the taste and quality of the beef. I market my beef to an organization that only takes natural beef (no growth additives or antibiotics), and they also only take 2-3 breeds of cattle because of the leaner meat they produce. I also hunt and of course that meat is all natural too. It just tastes better and it is better for you too.

I'm reading the "BEEF," book now and its very interesting. I'll be sending in my intermediate level info soon."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"Wow this was great fun and my kids loved this one too. I got in the car and drove to the feed store taking a different route. This route was a bit out of the way but we got to see several horse farms that we don't get to see often. They always have nice horses and nice pastures and fences. We made a game of guessing which of the horses were Quarter Horses. The kids picked them out with no problems because thats what we have on the ranch. So, of course, they are our favorites. They are also referred to as "America's Horse," (check it out and find out why). We have two buckskins, a black, a sorrel, and a donkey.

This was the first badge I started when I first became a SISTER because it was a no brainer for me as I have been raised with horses. I am reading the Joe Camp book and can't seem to put it down, so the intermediate level is almost complete. I would have been done a long time ago but didn't make it to town till just recently to purchase the book."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page