Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge!

"I made all of my Christmas presents this year! Clockwise from top: lap quilt and pillow for my sister (pillow is punch-needle, quilt is, well, quilted!); box of frosted butter cookies for the girls at work and neighbors; DVD versions of old home movies for my dad; and a set of 5 hand-embroidered dishtowels for my mom (using patterns from 'Mary Jane's Stitching Room').

They were all fabulous! I was very happy with everything I made this year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge!

"I made a lap quilt for my sister using a windowpane pattern.

Pretty well! Next time I will hand-quilt instead of using a machine — I was unhappy with how the machine-quilting looked."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  3:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Pyper Thole has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level ChillOver ComeOver badge!

"The photo was the family and friends (one who is an MJ Farmgirl) that we invited over for a ChillOver celebration dinner. I also took my own recipe of ChillOver to a gathering.

I am using the ChillOver for more things, like thickening pear butter and brown sugar for sweet rolls. Worked great and they weren't runny.
I posted the changes I made here:
www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28297"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  2:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Mother Earth badge!

"I started last year's garden with seedlings, except for the beans. I packed so much into the garden that it made it hard to move around in there! Not having an outdoor watersource gave me extra work hauling buckets of water.

It was easy to not use pesticides because this being my first garden I wouldn't know where to start or what to use.

I did plant marigolds around the perimeter of the garden for organic pest control...and the flowers were gorgeous!

I also read Montrose: Life in a Garden

The garden gave us a bounty of food and it tasted wonderful. I had some bugs on my green beans but only at the end of the season. When the garden was in full bloom it was spectacular! My father in law would come over once a week and along with my hubby they would appreciate all the hard work I put into it.

I liked reading Montrose even though it was a hard read for me. (I think it was all the proper names of plants) But it was amazing to know a garden could go year round. Every month there was something new and amazing happening there. If I had the time and the climate I would love a year round garden!! I can't wait for gardening time this year!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  5:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Mahoney has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I've been saving buttons here and there over the past couple of years, so I went and rounded them up from their various drawers, nooks, and crannies. Then I went out and added some more to make it a 'real' collection.

All 92 buttons are now together sitting in a Mason Jar in my crafting corner. I feel much more organized, and I am ready for any Button Emergency that might come up!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  5:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Lara Falcone has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"In August we got a small flock of Heritage Breed, Purebred Barred Rocks. I let them free-range and feed them Organic Pride Chicken feed. We also got two White Rock Hens in October, because as we found out, chickens are addicting! My five year old Farmerette Victoria wanted me to let you know that she has been doing the work, too. She holds the chickens, checks for eggs, and scratches in the dirt and pretends to be one of the flock.

Wonderfully! We have beautiful and healthy Chickens. Our Henny Penny laid her first egg on January 10th, followed by Clucky and Miss May. We now get 5 eggs a day. The 1st photo below is a photo of our Barred Rock pullet eggs compared to the white rock eggs. The 2nd photo is of the Barred Rocks as babies!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  2:15:44 PM  Show Profile
Janie Edwards has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge!

"My mom gave me your journal for a present this year and I decided at the beginning of the year to start working on earning a merit badge. My priest told me to choose just one "goal" and work really hard at being good at it and I chose to be thankful. I started off kind of slow but now I cannot do without my daily 'fix' of thankfulness. I found that I started looking forward into the day to see what new thing I could be thankful for and there was always something different that I could write down.
Thanks for encouraging me to a good new habit...

One of the 'side effects' of this was my boss at work noticed that I was not as 'negative' as I had been in the past. Makes the office a nicer place to be..."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  2:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Janie Edwards has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"After emptying several bead containers (through bartering) I decided to start sorting my buttons. My buttons came from my maternal grandmother's stash, my mothers button box and what I had collected over the years through various means.
I sorted the buttons by colors and ended up with 4 boxes (plastic -craft stores usually sell them for embroidery) of 6 holes each and 2 containers (originally for nails) of 7 spaces, each full of buttons. I re-read the merit badge requirements and decided to see if I had the 50 minimum buttons...after going through all of the buttons again, I came up with 130 different buttons. I have a written inventory of the buttons with an assigned "letter" to each case so I can locate them easily.

After spending a few hours on this, I decided to start making me a button necklace. I chose just the white and clear buttons to use in various sizes and my husband was very impressed. When he asked me how many I would probably use, i told him probably around 300 (I like big necklaces)... he just grinned and said 'well, at least you know you have them!'
I have also asked him not to throw away any more of his shirts without cutting off the buttons for me... something I learned from MaryJane."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  2:34:08 PM  Show Profile
Farmerette Victoria Falcone has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"This is for my 5 year old daughter Victoria Falcone. She wanted to work on a merit badge. Me, my mother, and my grandmother all let her go through our button tins and choose ten each. Over the last 4 months she has collected others from clothes, trips, etc. Her favorite is a small pewter heart button that she wants to make into a bracelet.

She has 54 now and she loves them. She is always taking them out and playing with them. She has even made one into a necklace. I wanted to take a photo of her with her tin, but she was really hamming it up. Here she is with her tin and an Oregano bunch she insisted on getting from the garden for this pic, lol"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  2:54:51 PM  Show Profile
And Lara Falcone follows and has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge along with her daughter!

"Two years ago I received my Great Grandmother Evelyn "Boots" Becker's Button Tin when she passed away. She was one of those wonderful women that could do anything and I named my Farmgirl Group after her. I started adding to my button tin when my daughter wanted to go for the Buttoned Up Merit Badge. I now have over 150."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  3:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Mahoney has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I have about a dozen bags I use for shopping.

I haven't been remembering to take my bags lately (except for the small 'chico bag' which attaches to my key chain), so I stashed a couple in each car. I have bought a detachable pannier for my bicycle for when I take it to the store.

I am hoping to initiate a plastic bag tax this summer. (I'm looking into how to do it.) This has been very successful in Ireland, and I hear Washington state has also got a bill proposed. It's a 25 cent tax on each plastic bag. Right now, we get a 5 cent per reusable bag credit, but that doesn't seem to work as well as the tax. I hope to get this going very soon. I know everyone at church will sign the proposal, so I just have to figure out how to do it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  3:35:22 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Mahoney has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge!

"After doing some basic stitches, I was ready to actually embroider something. I chose a duck who is cross-stitching (I've been itching to do some cross-stitching lately) for my first towel. I cut a flour sack dishcloth in half and sewed a ribbon on the edge that I cut.

I am really happy with this - I've never embroidered before. I think it turned out really well. It took me 15 hours, but I've realized lately that I just seem to be very slow at these things. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Farmerette Hannah Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"Hannah started her button collection about the same time I did. She thought all the different ones were pretty cool!

It has gotten a bit out of hand!! She has 84 of them now and they are each a little different in size and color!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  5:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge!

"I usually make gifts, but this year I put more effort into it! I made breads and jams, cloth books and blankets for nieces and nephews, and sleep pants for DH and all the kids!! And an apron for Grama!!

Everyone really liked what they were given!! The nieces and nephews said the blankets and books were great!! The best part was when my 13yr old said "You made these? Cool!!" Its not easy to impress a teenage boy!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  1:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Farmerette Hannah Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge!

"Hannah wanted to make her mom something for Christmas and decided on camouflage potholders!! I showed her how to put them together and then she learned to become friends with the sewing machine!!

They turned out great and she said the best part was the quilting where she could go crazy with the machine!! Her mom liked them too!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  3:41:14 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

"My DD really needed a gift for her friend and asked me to make her a pink scarf. So imbetween all my gifts, I got hers made!!

Her friend loved it and then more friends wanted one!!! I told DD she needed to learn to crochet, but a 16yr old couldn't make the time. So I taught youngest DD to chain stitch! (She's learning to crochet and have patience!)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  3:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"My youngest DD always wanted to help me sew, so for Christmas I put together a sewing kit for her!! I even added some colored felt because then she had her own material to work with!!

She loved it!! The first thing she sewed by hand was a bag for all of her notions!! Then she set to decorating it with some of her own fancy stitches!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  4:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge!

"I wanted to revamp my kitchen and not use coated pots and pans, so I still need to get some stainless steel ones and a new blender!! I love using my cast iron pans, but need the steel ones for saucepans!

Those two items are on my wish list and just as soon as I can get them I will!! I did take the coated pans and banished them to the shed! One of the older kids will need pots and pans for their apartment and they can root through the box of kitchen things I no longer want in mine!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  4:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge!

"While I was cleaning out the kitchen I came across a knife sharpener which belonged to DH so I had him show me how to use it!!

I now have very sharp paring knives as these are the only ones not serated!! But now I can do it all by myself!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  4:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge!

"I ordered the Budget Mix awhile back and have been using it here and there! I stopped shopping in the middle of the store after I read AVM by Barbara Kingsolver! I now spend about half to one fourth the amount on groceries that I did 5 years ago!

I like knowing that I can feed my family without spending a lot of money and even when the teens complain at least I know that I am feeding them good decent food! I know what goes into my bread and casseroles!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  4:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge!

"I read AVM and learned a new way of thinking about my food! In my journal I noticed that I wasn't always eating healthy 'real' foods. I grew some sprouts from leftover garden seeds and had an interesting combination but it was so easy!! Eliminating sweetners has been the hardest part and daily I work on that! I have learned to sneak more veggies into my meals in the form of Bakeovers and soups—its so easy to add a bit here and there without changing the taste!! Fruits have become desserts and part of salads as well as having some on hand to snack on! Veggies get eaten if they are in snack pieces too!!

Everyday I work on making good choices and sneaking in a few more fruits and veggies. I really work at eating local and it is so hard in the winter when all you crave are fresh salads. It's not easy to reprogram how you were raised when foods come in boxes and bags and anything you want is in season somewhere in the world and available anytime!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  4:51:35 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Bustin' Out badge!

"We have continued on the organic food journey and I am convinced that it just tastes so much better!!! Maybe part of it is knowing that it is better, but either way it works!

Last week I bought the old brand of bacon—the thin sliced pieces of fat—and cooked it for breakfast. All the kids complained!! They definitely noticed that it didn't taste as good or even look as good as the organic that they are now used to. They want the good stuff, which translates into local and organic!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  2:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge!

"I started in the Fall by getting rid of all plastic containers. I use bushel baskets for laundry and smaller ones for holding anything from pens to seed packets!! I also have had a friend make furniture for me! He made a quilt rack and a bb gun rack for the boys collection of guns!!

I like knowing that most of the plastics are out of my house! There are still a few hiding here and there but they too are on their way out! I like making bags and containers from things I already have. I also like knowing that my new pieces of furniture aren't made of pressed wood or treated wood!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  3:34:31 PM  Show Profile
Lora Rosencrans has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"Have several reusable shopping bags that we use on a regular basis. I love it when we go to Whole Foods and we can give the bag credit to charity. It's not much but every little bit helps, right?

It's great. It's fun to answer the question 'Paper or Plastic' with "I brought my own, thank you.""

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  4:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Mahoney has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"The first thing I did was decide that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on fabric. So I put an ad on both Craigslist and FreeCycle in my area, and I ended up with nearly 10 bags of fabric, scraps, patterns, filling, and even a bag of really warm socks! (I've still got 3 ladies who want me to come pick up more stuff! All Free!)

It took me about 8 hours to make this apron - all from my free fabric. I think it will come in really handy with the pocket. I got the pattern from my MaryJane's book, and I hope to make more soon. I am thinking about embellishing it around the edge, but using my sewing machine - it does lots of nifty designs and such. Just because I can hand-sew (now, thanks to the instructions in the book), doesn't mean I have to ALL the time. :)

I'm looking forward to making a full apron. But after I finish cross-stitching my husband's birthday card - it's coming up soon.

My apron - perfect!
:)"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page