Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  10:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"We recently moved to a new state, and one of the first orders of business was to find our local library. My 2 1/2 year old loves going and picking out her own books. The librarian even already knows her by her name! She is so proud to show off her new books to Daddy when he gets home from work, and loves to read to us before we all snuggle up together for bed.

She loves her books! And it's so much better than plopping her in front of the TV!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  10:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"A friend of mine has been going through a difficult time. I knitted her a prayer shawl to let her know I have been praying for her and to comfort her. She is across the country from me now, so this was the closest thing to being able to give her a hug.

This was my first prayer shawl. I like the colors I used and am hoping she likes it too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  10:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I’m a perennial packrat. I’ve never been able to toss those extra buttons that come with shirts or pants, and now I know why! I’ve been keeping these stashed in my top drawer since I was married (six years, now) – all in their tiny plastic baggies – and have established quite a collection. The majority of those are tiny white or clear buttons, but some of them were large and quite pretty. I’ve also purchased a few here and there – ones on clearance – and have splurged for a few that were full price! Whether I knew it or not, I had already established a button collection. What I didn’t have was a healthy respect or appreciation for buttons. I got ahead of myself and started researching buttons, too, and look at them in a different light these days. I now appreciate my collection and store them in cute little containers, ready for the day when I’ll actually need a spare for a shirt.

I got to see a lot of buttons that I hadn’t seen in a long time. Many of them were from garments I no longer have, unfortunately! It’s funny that the buttons themselves outlasted the garments. In the future, if I do have to dispose of a garment (if it’s not good enough for charity), I’ll make sure I snatch the buttons off it first! It’s nice to have all of my buttons gathered in a single place."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  10:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"Because most of the buttons in my drawer were white or clear, I decided to use those for my button bracelet – the smaller, the better. I also thought a white bracelet would be a little more conservative than most of my jewelry and would hopefully coordinate with more of my clothes, not that I often wear things that match anyway. I used exactly thirty buttons for this bracelet. The process was actually reeeaaallly easy – the monotony of threading the string through every button was surprisingly relaxing.

I love it! It’s lightweight and makes a statement too. The bracelet reminds me to stay crafty and to be thrifty. I wanted to make one for myself first to see if I could make any changes or improvements to the design I worked from; now I hope that I can show others how to make them! I’m really happy with the way it turned out and will likely make others. I’m thinking about adding buttons to bobby pins for my hair next!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  11:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"My mother and I sewed our aprons together, though she ended up answering so many questions of mine that she had to finish hers later. It was a great experience but a stressful one because I’m such a perfectionistic! This half-apron pattern comes from a Mary Engelbreit book. It was NOT easy because it’s lined – but it turned out great and really feels substantial. This definitely took much longer than the minimum time investment required, but it was worth it. The fabrics we used are some of those I’ve been collecting for a while now – I love their vintage feel!

I’m glad I accomplished this with my Mom’s help. It’s something I can keep for years and years – now I just have to get over my fear of “messing it up” and use it more often in the kitchen. I, shamefully, don’t cook that often, but maybe having a cute apron will help me to do so."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  11:06:21 AM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have far too many bags – handbags, bookbags, totes, and weekenders – so of course I was excited when reusable tote bags became popular! Another great excuse for another great bag. I took six of the largest such bags I had – some were even given to us by stores or at special events – and have been using them when grocery shopping. I make myself leave them in the car instead of bringing them into the house. They don’t take up much room at all, and I like feeling as though I’m doing my part to keep a little bit of plastic out of the landfill.

I’ve enjoyed using these reusable bags. At some stores, like Target, you even get a small discount for bringing in your own bags! It’s great that businesses support this movement, and heck! They may as well give us a discount since we’re saving them money on bags as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  11:10:34 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I posted a report on our source of energy here in Las Cruces to the Farmgirls of the Southwest chatroom. We get our electric and gas from El Paso. Our electricity is natural gas fueled turbines driven by steam. There are some solar panels but mostly residential.

I'm very proud of my report on energy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  2:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I find it vital to keep my knives sharp. My tasks go faster and I don't knick myself as much.

My knives are always ready to do a great job."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  2:11:35 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel (traildancer, #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I went on a solo pack trip with two horses and two dogs up to Pine Bench on the North Umpqua River in Southern Oregon. I left Saturday after my son's District Track meet and stayed two nights at my chosen campsite. My reading material was the Bible, the latest issue of MJF and the latest issue of Worship Leader Magazine.

I was definately rejuvenated. The forest in my area is beautiful. I always marvel at the wonder of God's creation. I didn't talk to another person for those several days, but I did talk to the horses and the dogs! I also built an awesome campfire."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Monique Bergeron (RIgardengirl, #1838) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I learned how to knit about 5 years ago. My level would still be considered beginner because I haven't taken on that big project yet (like a sweater or large blanket). I have made dishcloths, preemie hats & sweaters, scarfs and hats so far."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  2:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Green Energy badge.

"I kept track of expenditures for a month. My worst is the gas because the boyfriend lives 45 miles away. When I can I take mom's Toyota which gets better gas mileage, though I get around 27-30 mpg in my Subaru.

To cut back on consumption, Mom and I share rides to town for appointments and errands as much as we can.
I have fluorescent compacts all over the house and have taken out a few bulbs in the bathroom strips.

I also am very water wise. This year, I started collecting my washer water to water the perennials. Lots of bucket hauling, but good for me too.

I have seen a marked difference in my water bill this year. My energy use is pretty steady as I have computer and t.v. on power strips that stay off when not in use and have been doing that for years."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  2:34:09 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a lap quilt for my library and was able to use my favorite color.

I really like it and so did the cat. She was on top of it through the whole process and claimed it as soon as I draped it over the chair."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  2:37:29 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"In December my boyfirend mentioned he still had two bins of apples that he couldn't move. I suggested donating them to the local food back. So I stopped by and asked them, and arranged the pick-up.

We've also started to donate out of the garden this year. Not much yet.

They were thrilled. They get a lot of apples in season(sept-oct), but since this was late Dec, almost Jan they didn't see a lot of fresh fruit. We're going to make this an annual event now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  2:48:07 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I'm blessed to have a grandma who has been living the farmgirl life for 89 years now. Each time I visit her, she has something homemade to give me. I've collected these shopping bags from those visits. They hold a lot of weight (I always tell the cashier at the store to 'fill 'em up'). And they mean a lot more knowing that they were made by someone I love so dearly!

I keep my shopping list in one of the bags, so I never forget to grab them before I head out. I use them for library books, toy toting, overnight stays at my mom's. I used to have an entire cupboard dedicated to plastic bags but I don't anymore!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  3:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Because I already had a sewing kit, I put one together for my 3 year old daughter. Putting it together, I remembered the first sewing kit I ever had--given to me by my Grandma Smith (you'll be hearing a lot about her). It was made out of an old cigar box, and contained everything I would need to complete mother's day gifts and mend my doll's clothes. I had everything we needed to complete Nora's kit, including the homemade pin cushions.

Great! I find myself digging in my sewing kit at least 4 or 5 times a week to mend stuffed animals or sew on buttons. And when Nora is old enough to use a "real" needle, I'll teach her everything I know."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  3:08:46 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I find it hard to sit still (I'm sure that sounds familiar), so I love keeping my hands busy with crochet work if I'm watching a movie or just chatting with friends or family. It calms me down--I suppose it has something to do with the repetition. And I love seeing the rows appear one after another. My mom taught me how to crochet when I was about 10, and one of my favorite childhood birthday presents was a box with yarn and set of crochet hooks. I started working on these dishrags at the beginning of the summer and have given many sets away as gifts. The pattern eventually worked itself out after a bit of trial and error.

I like this pattern because the dishrag doesn't shrink up as much with the looser stitching in the middle. It dries quickly and it has a lot of scrubbing power. Plus, they're kind of pretty. I love anything that is decorative and functional! Today I'll be teaching my mom how to make her own (even though I gave her a set already.)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  3:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Anytime a piece of clothing comes with an extra button, I throw it in the jar. Just yesterday I found one on the ground and picked it up. I think it was a sign that I'm on the right track!

I didn't think I actually had 50 buttons, but what do you know?! I'll keep working on my collection!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  3:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"My mom and I had no trouble finding enough weeds to identify around here. I found a book about the native weeds of Nebraska and we took photos and copied the page from the book after we'd identified them. We found everything from splurge to purslane. I love knowing what I'm killing, and when I we'd my garden, I call them by name: "Go ahead, vineweed. Make my day."

I put together a survival kit for my car and another one for the basement (we have a lot of tornado warnings around here.) I'm glad to know I've got one handy in both places!

I love language, so knowing the names of weeds has been like adding colors to my verbal pallet.

As for surviving, I'm all for it. I'm glad to be prepared to succeed should the going get rough! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  3:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"I researched the Tennessee Walker, they have a reputation for being easy going and easy to train. They where originally bred in the Southern Unites States for plantation owners to ride on there land. They are not used for competition riding, mainly used for just riding because they have a smooth gait.

I am not a ‘horse person’ but I found the book and website very interesting and I learned a lot about them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  3:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I ordered MaryJane's BakeOver Sampler kit to get the pan and sample sizes of various products to try out my very first bakeover for my family to try.

My husband was really nervous he is anti-organic in the strangest way and the bakeover I made was all organic except the ham - I used what we had which was not organic. I used one of the recipes in the magazine that looked similar enough in flavors to things that my husband and daughter already liked, so to stack the odds in my favor. I chose the ham and potato bakeover with Gruyer and used the unbleached white budget mix.
What a simple and tasty meal! I am hooked on the bakeover idea and the ham and potato recipe was SO delicious! My husband tried it, though didn't want to, and ended up liking it, as well as my daughter. She LOVED the crust and asked if next time I could make just crusts for her to eat. I think that means it was a success. The only problem is that since I only ordered the small sizes, I can't make another one until I order the budget mix in bulk!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  10:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Hollie Thomas (cowlady40, #1710) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put all my basic sewing supplies into a box with a snap tight lid. The box is clear plastic so I can see everything. I also made my pin keeper when I put my sewing kit together.

Works great especially if I go to a friends house to sew, just grab and go."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  11:05:00 AM  Show Profile
Hollie Thomas (cowlady40, #1710) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We live on a dairy and are currently milking around 200 cows. Most of the cows are Holsteins with a few Brown Swiss and other mixed breeds thrown in. We frequently have people stop by wanting to see where milk comes from.

It amazes me that some people don't know where milk comes from. When they see the milk come out of the cow the look on their face's is ..........priceless."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  11:13:32 AM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I used my Mom’s handy-dandy vintage sewing box to assemble all of my sewing supplies – thread, scissors, sewing & quilting pins, collected buttons, needles, and fabric scraps – so that I can find them easily. I keep it bedside because it seems as though I’m always in bed when I remember that a button needs to be sewn back on something. The photo is of the standard-pincushion-on-top-of-a-Ball-jar pincushion.:)

It’s much more convenient than having to round up supplies from several different places when I need them. Even organizing a small space like this one makes me feel a little more in control of my life!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  1:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I’m still working on my own chicken coop, so I don’t have chickens yet. However, I get my farm fresh eggs from one of two friends (both of which are farmgirl sisterhood members). I get both chicken and duck eggs. Duck eggs are very rich and great for baking. Our farm animals are a few cows and a donkey… all of which eat organic feeds.

I love eggs! I’ve been buying fresh eggs for as long as I can remember can’t wait till I have my own supply."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  1:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I get milk from a dairy only a few miles from my home. The owners are very friendly and happy to teach. The operation is spotless and the animals are well loved and appreciated. I really enjoyed spending time with them and learning.

In researching the heritage breeds I discovered the Dutch Belted and they sound perfect for us. I also located a farm in this area and we are hoping to buy a calf (or two) from them.

I’m very excited about the new breed I discovered. I had never heard of the Dutch Belted before. Can’t wait to hopefully own some of my own."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page