Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  4:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," one time and have started it a second time. I have eliminated all hydrogenated oils and artificial sweeteners and use honey and stevia to sweeten.
My food journal was enlightening and sometimes was hard to figure out where the food had come from.
I try to now eat food that either we grow, or comes not too far away.

The book was wonderful and everyone should read it. It will change the way that you think about your food.
We use a lot of food from our garden to feed ourselves and the excess I can or freeze for the winter months.
I did eliminate artificial sweeteners from our home, and my headaches have gone away. (I really do think that the sweeteners were responsible.)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  5:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I used the same pattern for this apron as for my first 1/2 apron. This time I used solid material for the pockets and waistband, and a country print for the rest. The waist is gathered and I also used red ruffles… and LOTS of it.

It took me 2 days to complete and it was worth every minute. This apron is very ‘girly’ and cute. I just love it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  10:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Joan Van Roo (Tourguide joan, #1413) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I now have a compost heap and I read "The Earth Moved" by Amy Stewart.

"The Earth Moved" is a fascinating book. Do I have an appreciation for worms! Who would have thought a book about worms could be so interesting! I have recommended it to all the gardeners I know."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  10:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I invited a young lady over when I made cleaning supplies. She is a young mother trying to find better ways to clean around her 1 year old. I even put the recipes into a book for her to take. We made cleaning items for both of us from laundry detergent to toothpaste.

We had a great time and Tara was very thankful. I liked being able to share with her and see the surprise in her when I told her the cost savings and she realized how easy it was to make your own."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  10:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"When I bought my house I bought a washer but not a dryer. I hang dry everything and sometimes the house is layered in clothes. I pulled the carpet from the two bedrooms and replaced it with eco-friendly carpet made from recycled bottles. I also painted the room I use as a library and used no-VOC, no odor paint.

I love it! The room never smelled when I repainted and I didn't have to worry about the cats or me sleeping in the off-gasing. Not to mention I got to pick out my favorite color in two shades."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  10:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"I've been eating organic for years. I invited friends over for dinner and games and cooked an all organic meal.

When my young friend was over for making green cleaners, we made pizza. I introduced her to this a year or so ago and we used organic and local ingredients. I also shared some of my fruit leather with her, which she is very excited to learn how to do herself.

I love cooking for others. Get me in the kitchen and watch out. Everyone loved the meals, especially the lamb, that was from a local organic farmer."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  10:52:33 AM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I've been in the process of assessing what I need and purchasing these items for the past couple of months. I gave a set of containers that I had never used to my sister who is setting up housekeeping again.

It's nice to have the equipment I need at my fingertips and to not have unused items cluttering up my shelves."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  11:03:36 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I got out an old backpack and filled it with the supplies listed under the badge requirements. I have matches in a waterproof container, a signal mirror, a whistle, an energy bar, a space blanket, a rain poncho, a first aid kit, reflective rope and a folding knife. I have also added to the list a compass with a thermometer built in, a large water bottle and a California native plant guide which I have added notes to from my research as to which plants are edible (and what parts of those plants), which are medicinal (and how to use them) and which are poison. I plan on taking my daughter out on a hike this week and bringing the pack along!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  11:14:06 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Knotty Farmgirls badge.

"To earn this badge, I bought a little book called "Knots," got some rope out and started practicing!

I learned how to do the knots listed, bowline, square knot and two half hitch knots, but I also learned the double overhand knot, the slipped overhand knot, the surgeon's knot and many others. The one I can do the best is the bowline, but the one I had the most fun with was the knot and instructions the book contained for roping a calf. My daughter and I played rope the all day! I would tie the knots and she would rope the chair, the doll, me, everything! While we don't have a tree big enough to build a rope swing on (we live in a development that's only about 3 years old so the trees are all REALLY small) we did use our rope skills playing our rope game all day and a few days ago when we used a trucker's hitch to tie down loads while we helped our friends move. I felt very important when the men of the group were impressed with the strength of my knots."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  11:23:40 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"Here are my two additional Chillover Recipes for the expert level of Chillover Comeover! I am so excited to have an alternative for gelatin since my family has not enjoyed jelled dishes for many years. The pie was easy to make and the cookie crust (taken from my Betty Crocker cookbook) was a perfect base. I served the Gooseberry Sauce with whipped cream at my last chapter meeting and at a birthday party...it was enjoyed both places. I will be making the sauce at Thanksgiving and Christmas time as an alternative to store bought (corn syrup laden) cranberry sauce."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  11:35:39 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Homespun Christmas badge.

"As the coordinator for the Highland Quilter's Guild Christmas party, I got to put on the whole Christmas celebration for more than 20 quilters! I worked with a very small budget which meant that I had to get creative. Our “tree” hung on the wall over a table where each of the quilter's placed their gift—a food donation for the local food pantry (we even received some items for the animal shelter). And the decorations for the tree, windows, and tables were hand made by a team of quilters who gathered together for a day of sewing in a room above the town clerk's office. I made 11 of the 44 quilted trees (25%). After the party, each of these attendees was given one of the ornaments!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  11:50:59 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I always make my Christmas gifts! I work on this all year long and have most of my sewing/crafting done by the beginning of December. I usually sew clothing for my kids, things like PJ pants or aprons or marble bags. My husband often receives knitted items like sweaters or socks. Over the years, I have made a quilt for each of our parents and nieces and nephews. I've knitted socks for most of my friends. I also like to give baked treats to my kid's Bible teachers, scout leaders, and youth group leaders. My kids have picked up this habit and found great joy in giving and receiving hand made gifts. We are blessed with friends and family that understand the value of these gifts—not everyone does, you know! (Here is a photo of my daughter in the apron I made her...she also got a cookbook!)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  12:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Veronica Laviolette (Lavagirl, #1921) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I live in a rental house, and this has posed many problem in trying to start my own little "farm". But so far my husband and I have been able to dig up about 50 feet by 3 feet of bushes and plant our fall garden. I'm so excited! I've been reading about and practicing organic gardening for about 3 years, but this is my first actual attempt at a large garden. I planted: Corn, squash, lettuce, spinach, sunflower, tomato, carrots and some morning glories. That was about a week ago.

I have a few seedlings that have sprouted up, but not much yet since it's only been a week. I already have a small container garden of herbs I have been growing for about 3 months and I maintain it organically. It's been really HOT here and I'm really hoping my little plants make it through the summer. I would be more than happy to upload photos as it grows!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  12:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I learned to do Punch Needle and now I'm having the time of my life making different projects. I even framed this one of two black crows and some quilt patterns. It is time consuming because you are working on the back of your project. This beauty took me three days to make.

I love folk art and this fits right in to our decor."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  12:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Embroidery badge.

"I finally finished my set of "Days of the Week" tea towels from Mary Jane's Idea Book. It took me awhile with all my other projects but I just love them.

They turned out really cute - only problem is that I don't want to get them dirty...."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  12:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"The first place I went was eatwild.com. Then, I read articles in the New York Times, MaryJanesFarm magazine, and Mother Earth News, all with information on what has been done the last ten years to the beef we eat. I am horrified! Talking to local butchers did not ease my mind, either. I became a very concerned, but informed consumer. Having been raised in Texas, I love my steak and beef, but am concerned about what is in it. I wrote down what I learned and spoke to my husband, who became concerned as well.

After doing much research and inquiry, we decided on ordering the beef Mary Jane recommends from Montana. We are now spoiled. I am completely turned off by conventional beef. There is a difference, not just in color, but in taste, smell, and the way it cooks. We also have been eating healthier portions. I have been telling my friends and family, as well, in hopes they will become healthier beef consumers, as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  12:49:37 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"We visited McLaughlin Farms, a few miles south of Jackson, and purchased several cuts of their grass fed, GMO free Highland cattle. It is a well-kept, clean, beautiful farm. Mr. McLaughlin and his wife explained about the entire process of their beef. We were impressed. I also read "Beef: The Untold Story by Andrew Rimas and Evan D.G. Fraser."

We loved the beef and will be purchasing more."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  12:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I have finally finished tatting a piece of lace for a pillowcase! I first learned to tat when I was at Farm Fair with MaryJane's crew in July of 2009. Katy King gave me a couple of lessons, teaching me the basics which I continued to practice while I was there. I came home with a crude piece of lace, uneven and twisted, but an accomplishment I was quite proud of. Once I had the basic stitches down I ordered the book “Learn to Needle Tat Step by Step” by Barbara Foster. It is one of the few books that gives instructions and patterns for needle tatting. Once learning her technique, a needle tatter will understand how to use any pattern (even shuttle tatting patterns) to needle tat a project. I found this very helpful, especially since I had forgotten some of the things that Katy had taught me and I was making some mistakes unknowingly. I used Barbara's pattern for pillowcase trim (very simple) and—ta-da! I finished it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  1:10:01 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Tatting badge.

"I have earned the next level in this badge by making more of the patterns in my book, “Learn Needle Tatting Step by Step” by Barbara Foster. I made the medallion, the butterfly, and a large piece of trim that I am going to use in a framed piece of art. I also trimmed a hankie using one of the patterns that I simplified. In these different projects I have used #10 crochet cotton and #3 thread. I have ordered #20 and #40 threads to try, as well. I am getting most of my supplies from www.hhtatting.com where they have a great assortment of threads and patterns."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  1:41:29 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I contacted my local extension office for information on wild edibles and they wrote back saying that their insurance carrier forbids the extension to give advice in this area. However, she did give me some websites to check out and a link to a plant bibliography that includes several titles on wild edibles. Kvash's book is arranged by season, Medve's arranges the plants by size, and Peterson's includes information of poisonous look alike's. Elliot's book focuses on edible roots, while Foster's explains medicinal uses. I've ordered a few of these titles from my library, but was disappointed to find out that none of the libraries in our area have Kvash's book. I'm including a copy of the email from Cornell CoOperative Extension with the links here:

If you are looking for information on wild edibles I would suggest you look in the following places:
http://www.foraging.com/ (really great list of resources!)

Another great resource list for NYS plants and plant communitites:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/plantbiblio.pdf

Because of the inherent risks associated with advising people about wild foraging, Cornell University's insurance carrier forbids us from providing this kind of educational information.  A pity, but it's the truth.  We are also not supposed to provide information on homeopathic medicine derived from plants. 

The only thing I found from Cornell was on the forestry site
at: http://www.nyforestlink.org/info.php?area=3. 

CCE in Greene county might also have some information.  Their website is at:
http://agroforestrycenter.org/what-is-agroforestry.html ."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  1:56:50 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"I used “Tom Brown's Guide to Wilderness Survival” to aid me in this project, along with MaryJane's Ideabook and Outpost book. I have identified purslane, lamb's quarters, and plantain in my own yard and elsewhere. I have found watercress all over the Adirondack Mountains in summertime, and fiddleheads in the early spring. I have eaten the leaves and flowers of clover while hiking (love how it moistens my dry mouth). I know how to find cattail roots. I've also learned that although regular grass is not edible, it may be eaten if the shoots are less than 6” tall (Tom Brown!)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  2:07:02 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Forage for Food badge.

"In my area, we are able to forage for all sorts of yummy wild foods! We have eaten viola/violet/pansy blossoms in our salads. I've added lambs quarters, too. I have made pie and jam from wild black berries, raspberries, and thimbleberries found on our vacant land, around our home, and along our walking route. I have eaten stuffed grape leaves and learned that they are delicious sliced up and scattered over pizza. (Try MaryJane's recipe for stuffed Cabbage leaves substituting grape leaves for the the cabbage!)
I was also very fortunate to find a local professor from Skidmore College who leads wild mushroom hunts. I joined her just last weekend and had a blast! The hunt was just a mile or so away from where I lived as teenager which made the adventure even more special to me. We had a short introduction to mycology before we journeyed into the woods to scavenge for fungi. We found lots! Sue, our leader, taught us how to check for different identifying features on each new find. We sorted each mushroom into groups based on stype, gill/pore arrangement, color, and anulus/vulva presence. Some of us tasted a poisonous mushroom to check out the spicy (warning!) flavor of the flesh. They spit the flesh out—I didn't try it, though I was horrendously curious.
My triumphant find of the morning was a mass of black trumpet mushrooms, edible, and easily identified with no other poisonous look-alikes. This is a mushroom that I will be able to hunt for and enjoy eating with confidence!
Some interesting facts that I learned are that mushrooms are only deadly if ingested, so touching them and licking your fingers will not kill you. Sue also said that some of the deadliest fungi will destroy the liver and kidneys within six hours of ingesting, giving no warning of illness until it is far too late; death this way is agonizing painful. She also said that each person has a different tolerance for mushrooms, making some fungi poisonous in some bodies while tolerated in others. I was also surprised that, though a mycologist with years of experience, even Sue made mistakes in her judgement of some species; upon further examination she discovered she had improperly identified a couple of our finds. This makes me think that thorough examination and referencing is a necessary part of this adventure.
I will be joining Sue for more hunts as she leads them often...I can't wait to learn more!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  2:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

" Let me introduce you to the newest member of Aprons of the Adirondacks—her name is Sylvia! She loves working in the garden, watching the sunrise, and listening to the summer birds. As you can see, her favorite flower is the sweet pea—she sat right down in the midst of them to have her photo taken. She just can't wait to show off the garden to visitors...just like Miss Tasha Tudor, our Vermont neighbor! So how bout you all stop by for a visit and let her show you around!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  2:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"I have found a number of places to use my old broken equipment and garden supplies around my yard. I have work boots with flowers growing out of them, paint cans and leaky sap buckets acting as planters, a five-gallon pail as a seat for my scarecrow, and stepping stones with pieces of ceramics and glass beads embedded in them. I have a salvaged plate as a backdrop for some pansies and a couple of matching bowls on copper pipe scraps that are a seed and water set for my feathered friends (page 55 of Dec/Jan 2010 MaryJane's Farm magazine).
As far as cleaning up around town, my family is very active in keeping our own stretch of road cleaned up. With a factory just across the road we get a lot of traffic, and many of the drivers like to toss their trash (including factory mandatory hair and beard nets) onto our street. We keep this picked up on a regular basis and any nickel-return cans we find are donated to the local boy scout troop."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  2:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level In The Garden badge.

"I've earned the intermediate level of the In the Garden badge by using a number of tin cans in my garden. They have become row markers in the garden and plant labels on my raised beds. I used them as planters, planter props, and lanterns.
I also used a number of different sized lids to “shingle” the roof of a bat house (bat house pattern from UpYonda Farm, Warrensburg, NY). I used some small silver lids, a few small gold lids, and a very large coffee can lid. I attached them by hammering small holes in the top and then screwing them in place beginning at the front edge and working my way to the back, overlapping each new row over the previous one. The very large lid went at the middle of the back. Each of the edges that extended out over the edge of the house were hammered down and tacked in place with a small brad.
I've also constructed a couple of raised beds. One runs along the road in front of our house. It is filled with flowers but I've wedged in edibles here and there. I've grown tomatoes, hot peppers, sweet peppers, and basil in this bed. The second raised bed is in my side yard. It, too, is home to flowers, but I also have oregano, parsley, and broccoli growing in there. In fact, from this bed I just harvested the largest head of broccoli that I have ever grown! I also tried building a third raised bed for growing peas but it didn't pan out well. I had a bunny eating my young plants, so I put a fence around the sides, but the peas never really recovered."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page