Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I purchased heirloom varieties of seeds from Botanical Interest to plant my beans, kale, and lettuce. I read the book "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds."

I enjoyed the book and found it so useful that I plan to buy it in the near future."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I just finished watching the trailer to "Vanishing Bees." I have a few varieties of bee friendly flowers in my yard but unfortunately those also tend to be deer friendly and often get eaten.
I've read "The Secret Life of Bees" a couple of times and it's one of my favorite fiction books.

I'm going to look into seeing the whole movie about the bees as I found the trailer very interesting. I've known about the plight of honeybees but didn't know the movie existed until I saw it under this merit badge.
I also plan to plant more flowers so that maybe some of the blooms will manage to be available for the bees instead of the deer."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"My husband and I just finished getting rid of all of our toxic cleansers. I started keeping a (recycled) journal of cleaning recipes that our grandmothers used to keep their house clean. For example:
Salt and vinegar for copper pots.
Cornstarch on a damp rag for furniture polish.
Vinegar and borax for laundry and all purpose.
Baking soda and vinegar for toilet bowls.

Add in the use of real lemon juice and our house smells great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"After last night, July 4th, I am going to try and get fireworks banned in our community. They are not only dangerous (a man in New York lost an arm) but they are expensive and families don't need to spend money on these things. Not only that, we live in a very dry area and are prone to fires.

I plan on going to our city's administrative office and apply for a petition to ban fireworks. I will keep you posted."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I made a carry-all for a friend of mine and decided to make one with my quilting material. It took me quite awhile - more than 20 hours to complete.

I just love the way it turned out. It fits right in with our folk art decor."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:52:55 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made this carry-all BakeOver TakeOver with one of MaryJane's BakeOver in her own frying pan. My friend loved it and ate every bit. I also crocheted her a set of pot holders which I left with her to use.

I think it turned out great. My friend just thought it was the cat's meow."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I created a bean pole teepee out of scraps of bamboo and twine. I will be planting green beans this week.

I think it is cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  3:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Christen (Line Shack Farmgirl, #1570) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I try not to use any plactic containers in my kitchen so what I use are glass pyrex bowls of all sizes with lids. So here is my bowl drawer.
Having bowls and lids together makes life in the kitchen much smoother.

It's tidy and I like that. And the drawer will stay that way."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  3:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Sally Roeser (dragonfly, #1668) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I actually had this collection from before because I bought a bunch of buttons to include in the sewing kit I made for my niece. This collection contains buttons bought in bulk and a few I've found around the house.

I'm excited to have a button collection. I've always wanted one in all my years of sewing but surprisingly never had one. The possiblities are endless for all the purses I make."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  3:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Karen Tzikas (Karen Tzikas, #1769) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I made a wrap for my mother in Sacramento. Basic knit and purl.

She liked it and thats all that matters."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  3:43:42 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"The "vanishingbees" trailer was interesting and discouraging at the same time. But I'm more aware of the situation and better educated and perhaps can help with the solution.

I have raised flowers of every description all my life and do have "bee friendly" flowers in my garden such as bee balm, asters, salvia,etc. I try to create a colorful environment that bees and birds are attracted to.

The book "Secret Life of Bees" was very enjoyable. While there were trials of life the entire book is a brightly colored woven "tapestry of life" . . relationships, life and love. Very much an enjoyable book!

Locally grown honey was, and still, always is on our table.

We have learned to ENJOY having honey bees around and provide an environment that is beneficial for them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  3:52:07 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I have already completed the grow an organic veggie garden and I just finished reading "Montrose: Life in a Garden."

Our organic veggie garden is doing great this year and I loved reading Montrose. I found Nancy Goodwin's writing to be inspirational and meditative all at once. Whether you're a hobby gardener, or out to change the world, it's a great read! Ippy Patterson's illustrations are lovely and the perfect compliment to the author's monthly garden writings."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  4:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Shirk (Melissa Shirk, #1750) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have a flock of chickens, actually two flocks. My older girls are Golden Reds and my new girls are Barred Rocks. I ordered my chicks from a hatchery and raised them under lights until they were feathered out.
I also started raising meat rabbits. We purchased the rabbits from an Amish farm. We have a New Zealand buck and a California Doe. We also got some Rex rabbits for the kiddos to raise.

My chickens are doing great. My new girls should start laying the second week of August. I only lost one chicken to the neighbors dog. The neighbor paid for it too.
When I bred the meat rabbits the doe didn't get pregnant. But the Rex doe and the NZ buck chewed a hole through their pens and now I have two black bunnies and three gray bunnies. Three does and two bucks. I am going to keep the one large doe from this litter and we have bred the two meat rabbits again. I will know in a week if that worked. If she does not have a litter she will be butchered and we will purchase another Breeding Doe."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  4:08:43 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Christen (Line Shack Farmgirl, #1570) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"Well I live in an old farm house and so every few months I have to go around and oil the door hinges so this morning I went around with the wd-40 and gave them a squirt.
Then I went out to the shed and oiled all the handles to my garden tools and made sure they all were in good shape, I must admit this is something I have not thought much of doing but will in the future.
My son and I went to the barn and checked the bikes out and gave the chains a squirt.
We are in good shape.

It turned out well no squeaky doors, and chains are oiled and tools wiped down too.
It turned out great. It was fun to do this with my son Wyatt he got a kick out of helping me with a merit badge."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  4:16:28 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Christen (Line Shack Farmgirl, #1570) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Here are our girls. Our chicken are fed organic feed and scraps from the kitchen and garden, and anything else they find under the grapevines or walnut trees.

We enjoy having chickens so much they are just like part of the family. I love that I can hear them early in the morning makeing there sweet little nosies when I just open my eyes .
It's great, I don't see how we will ever be without chickens."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  4:23:59 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Orr (OrrShine, #1545) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I started by watching the video on vanishing bees. Then read the book and researched bee-friendly plants.

At first I was expecting to read a more factual book and less of a storybook. Though, I did really enjoy reading it and it is a good glimpse into the life a caring for a hive. The bees in my yard love all my trumpet vines and purple cone flowers."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  4:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong-Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"As a member of the FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE chapter I participated in the chapters reuseable totebag swap. This swap is discussed in the henhouse "Project Discussions".

I made a bag from yellow floral print canvas with tan colored nylon webbing handles. Embellished with rick-rack trim and several hand-sewn buttons.

I am a teacher and part of what I try to teach my students is by example of my use of reuseable tote bags at school.

My students also are involved in our own classroom recycle projects, being regularly taught the ideas of recycle, reuse, and repurpose.

I consistently talk about and implment the use of reuseable tote bags with my family, friends and fellow athletes.

I was able to learn how to make an attractive, useable and desirable totebag that my partner said she "LOVED"!!!!

I will make more totebags for family, friends and other uses.

And, I will continue my school classroom teaching with students and coworkers and follow through implementation at home.

Unfortunately, I sent my bag off before I thought to take a picture of it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  10:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Suzanna Buchanan (sbbuchanan, #1715) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected several reusable bags over the years. So after taking these pictures I will go put them in my vehicle so I will remember them when I go shopping.

I will commit to using these bags whenever I go grocery shopping or to the market."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I made and collected one freezer bag and 6-8 bags for each car in the family. As well as making small bags from baby diapers for fresh produce. They are being used for shopping trips and I love that I get a refund of 5 cents per bag I take with me from the store!

Wonderful. Since our dog passed we do not get to recycle the plastic bags, so this makes carrying goods into the house easier as well as a coupon I didn't have to cut with the discount!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:17:13 AM  Show Profile
Suzanna Buchanan (sbbuchanan, #1715) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"When I was younger, we had 3 horses, a tennessee walker, a shetland pony, and a quarter horse. I belive my favorite is the quarter horse because of the their gentleness.

I took my daughter to my brother's house over the weekend who actually has a quarter horse. She was able to meet him and even take a short ride with her cousin. She's only 1 year old, so this was her very first encounter with a horse. We had a lot of fun and will continue visiting with this horse and enjoy sight seeing others as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:25:37 AM  Show Profile
Suzanna Buchanan (sbbuchanan, #1715) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I went through my house and removed all the chemicals I have been using to clean with. Wow, I didn't realize for one that I had so many. I have researched different ways to make different cleaning products I can use in their place that are "green" products. :) I spoke with my mom about my new findings of different recipes on things, and believe she is willing to do the same. It's the simple things that she used as a child growing up that I am now researching to do for my family.

After switching to true green products my house seems to feel cleaner. The floor doesnt get any sticky feelings to it after cleaning, my windows are clear, and my laundry smells so fresh, all without the chemicals!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Suzanna Buchanan (sbbuchanan, #1715) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I got together all my supplies and made all my cleaners. For the laundry detergent, I used borax, washing soda, and ivory soap. I made the liquid form which I was so amazed how much it made for so little! I also use a mixture of just borax and water, with a little essential oil for my floor cleaning, and as an all-purpose cleaner. The fabric softner was made using hair conditioner and vinegar.

All the cleaners that I made turned out really great! I was a little worried that I wiouldn't like the fabric softner because of the vinegar smell, but I love it. My clothes turned out so clean and smelling fresh, without leaving a strong vinegar smell on them. I could'nt believe that I made 3 gallons of laundry detergent for less than 6 dollars! Very impressed!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:43:13 AM  Show Profile
Suzanna Buchanan (sbbuchanan, #1715) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have made my own laundry detergent to help get rid of all the chemicals I have been putting on my clothes. I made it with borax, washing soda, water, and ivory soap.

I will not be buying anymore laundry detergent. The one I made is awesome and I love it! My clothes turned out so clean and fresh!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"My father-in-law has two horses, "Cisco" a quarter horse and "Scout" a Tennessee Walker. They are both beautiful, but Cisco is my favorite. He is a senior citizen and very gentle. Scout is a very tall and majestic horse.

They are beautiful animals that I enjoy visiting greatly."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:04:05 AM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I planted a small garden with 2 plants each of squash, tomatoes, peas, bell peppers. (The corn and onions in photo came from the farmers market.) I learned that you can put a couple drops of oil with crushed garlic and water in a spray bottle and it will keep the bugs off your veggies.

My garden turned out great! Next year it will be much larger."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page