Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  11:47:22 AM  Show Profile
Annette Shaw (mamashaw, #1372) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I use a 60/40 mix of borax and baking soda to clean sinks, showers and bathtubs.

We live with a septic tank and I hate to use harsh nasty dangerous stuff when cleaning as it can cause our septic to back up. My bathrooms are just as clean and sparkly with my natural cleaner and I don't have to worry about my system wrecking havoc."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  11:54:28 AM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I've been wanting to turn my love of crafts into a business for so many years I've lost count. I've seen so many of the Farmgirls with Etsy accounts, that I have been thinking of starting one myself. So, I wrote down a plan. I was thinking of calling it Primitive Stitches.

I guess the plan is okay. I made a basic plan up a while ago and just now went back and re-read it and vamped it up a bit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  12:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I went back and updated my plan, reading and researching the books in the photo as well as other books. I have a lot of crafting-business books. I've seen a lot of the Farmgirl's start Etsy's stores and I know that I just have to find out what I want to sell and take it from there. Everyone on this board is such an inspiration.

I'm starting to think that maybe I can do this after all."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  4:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I've found that cleaning my house without toxic chemicals is simple to do, and natural cleaners are readily available and work wonderfully. I use my homemade laundry detergent, basic soap, and even homemade dishwashing liquid.

I am very proud to say that I clean everything in my house with 100% all natural ingredients."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  09:51:12 AM  Show Profile
Debra Swan (Debra Swan, #462) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level In the Garden badge.

"I bought my husband a green house to start our plants in. So one day we put it up together.

It came out great, until a windstorm swept it away on us. Need to do some repairs on it now."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:00:58 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I've been crocheting for years (decades) though I got out of it for a while. Last Christmas I crocheted KU and OU potholders for my niece and her husband. This year I made scarves for their girls.

I love the way the scarves twirled. The girls will really enjoy them. I had forgotten how much I enjoy crocheting so it was good to have family to make things for."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"For 30 days I wrote down what I am grateful for. I enjoyed it so much I will continue it. I do have so much to be grateful for.

What a wonderful experience, I will continue to write what I am greatful for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:21:22 AM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson (Theresa Atkinson, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I have been knitting for years so I did two dishcloths to meet the time requirements.

I also taught a co-worker to knit. She loved it so much she joined the knitting club at work."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Chamberlain (Farmhousegirl, #1747) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I already had many sewing kit items but they were all messy so I decided to organize them.
The homemade pinkeep was not made by me, I bought it from another farmgirl at heart who makes and sells cute primitive crafts...I love it and am not going to make another pinkeep, however, if I were to make one it would look exactly the same!

I love all my sewing tools and threads, I especially love the pinkeep!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  4:44:32 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Chamberlain (Farmhousegirl, #1747) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected various shopping bags (some insulated) to use for my purchases.

Well, I find that the hardest part is REMEMBERING TO TAKE THEM INTO THE STORE! I more often than not forget them in my car and have to make a mad dash out to the parking lot to get them. But I guess practice makes perfect."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  4:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Chamberlain (Farmhousegirl, #1747) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Well, I've been in constant organization mode for about three years and I'm not gonna stop till I've simplified my whole house. I realized I didn't need many storage containers because mason jars are always around in my kitchen. So I went to just a few of the same plastic containers (uniformity helps ALOT!), and I also have my mason jar lids organized by size, and the laminated labels I use for the mason jars are organized by contents (chili, refried beans, chicken broth, etc.) I do keep my baking ingredients in plastic Tupperware storage containers which makes it so much easier to find the right ingredient.

I love my kitchen, I always have a storage container to store a freezer meal or leftovers and when I bake, I love having my ingredients so easily accessible. It also makes it easy to know what ingredients I'm low on."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  09:38:53 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I started a compost heap this spring. I have now kept it going for about four months.

It has finally become a habit with my whole family to use the compost bucket!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  09:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"Because of chronic illness, I haven't gardened in many years. This year, I've felt good enough to have a garden, finally! My husband, two children, and I are growing an acre and a half! And since we've been selling organic fertilizer for two years now, of course we're using it ourselves. Our pest controls are molasses and garlic oil.

We have had successes (okra) and failures (potatoes). We're learning together and enjoying the journey! We're trying varieties that aren't common around here like Moon & Starz melons. We even had a volunteer mustard plant & I'm collecting the seeds now.

My garden is my therapy. It's helping me get healthy, keeping me happy, and giving me purpose!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  09:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read the book "Beef: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World." I also located places to buy meat in my area. One rancher sells in the Denver area although his farm is much farther away. There are a couple of places within an hour or two drive from my home and one place about 40 minutes from my home. I was surprised at the last place as it's in a mountain area that I've been past many times and never knew it existed.

A few months ago I was wondering how cattle had ended up being domesticated but hadn't gotten around to researching the subject. Reading the book "Beef" answered all of my questions and more. Some parts of the book I found very interesting but there were a few parts that I thought were a little boring. I'm glad this book came to my awareness because it saved me a lot of research of my own."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  09:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Joan Van Roo (Tourguidejoan, #1314) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I tried a number of non-toxic cleaners and found the best one for me is "Seventh Generation" products from Burlington, VT. I had discarded all the toxic cleaners I had been using!
I use Method in my washing machine. It is 90 per cent plant based and biodegradable. Seventh Generation and Method are the only two products I am using at the present time.

These products work great and I don't miss the toxic ones!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:04:49 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Thums (prairie_princess, #1505) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I already had the majority of the items required for the beginner's sewing kit on hand. I just had to buy more, better quality straight pins. I included all of the required items in my sewing box along with: denim patches, various fabric, hooks and eyes, sewing machine attachments, bobbins, thimble, seam ripper, and a measuring tape. I made a mason jar pinkeep to include in my sewing kit.

I got together with a fellow MJF farmgirl to make the homemade pinkeep together. We gathered ideas from MaryJane's Stitching Room.

At first I tried to use a recycled yeast jar as the base of the pinkeep and create a pincushion for the top, but the results were not very impressive. But we had many laughs along the way!

We finally decided to attempt the mason jar pinkeep (like in the book) and it came out much better. To make the pinkeep, I saved a used mason jar seal for the base of the pinkeep and gathered polymer stuffing on top, wrapped a pretty country fabric square around the whole thing, and used a hot glue gun to hold everything in place. This pinkeeper worked much better because it was easier to adjust the amount of stuffing and pull the fabric to make a prettier shape.

The mason jar will also double as a nice container to hold my growing button collection!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Darcy Tietjen (Darcy, #1674) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"The requirement is to collect six reusable bags for shopping. That was the easy part! I find I prefer the canvas bags better/sturdier and bigger but still manageable.
The second part is to commit to using them. I keep them in the car and work hard at remembering they are there! I find that if I visualize land fills with plastic bags that I was responsible for being there...that jogs my memory!

My local grocery store pays back 5 cents off my grocery bill for each of my own bags. I can take that 15-35 cents and put it in a bank, slowly it adds up and use it for a missionary family or a friend."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile
Darcy Tietjen (Darcy, #1674) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge

"I started a small flock of chickens last year, and am maintaining them. I have been learning a great deal on care of these chicklettes as I have made their coop and pen as predator free as I possibly can. I have had, in the past 2 months had to deal with 2 egg bound girls, one I had to put down-that required finding someone who could do that for me, then holding her while he did. My chicklettes eat organic only and I am able to sell the eggs, barter for products (like handknit wool socks!) or make charitable donations of the eggs. Plus the teachable moments for friends children (and the friends!)
I also assisted in building a chicken tractor.

It remains a current project. I have not had this much fun in years, in spite of the difficult moments. The high quality of the eggs make them a popular item among my friends."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson (Theresa Atkinson, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have 8 reuseable shopping bags and I'm not afraid to use them ;-}

I like the cloth shopping bags much better than plastic or paper. Plus they are easy to throw in the washer."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:30:43 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I made a simple dishcloth using single crochet stitches to make a granny square and finishing the edge with a simple shell.

By the time it was done my daughter had decided that it was going to be hers to use. It turned out perfectly and is a great size for cleaning. The single crochet keeps it from having so many holes that you are constantly putting your fingers through it, especially tiny fingers."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:35:56 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knit a washcloth using alternating knit and purl stitches and knit rows around the edge to keep it from rolling.

By the time it was done my daughter had decided that it was also going to be hers to use. It turned out perfectly. The alternating knit and purl give it a double sided feel and lots of interest. (It's the cloth on the left)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:43:01 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"Through the MaryJane forum and magazine I've learned a few extra recipes for cleaning green that I did not know. I also have found recipes in a few other magazines such as Mother Earth News. I switched to "green" liquid dish soap 5 or so years ago thanks to the Natural Food stores.

I love it and even managed to stock up on dish soap when the store had a great sale recently. Won't need to buy any for at least a year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I don't have a lot of plastic but did organize what I have. The lids are in the drawer above the containers. The hardest part was all the peanut butter containers as I buy the fresh ground. I had way too many of those.

Organizing helped clean out the lids. I did have a few extra that I had no idea what they went to."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  10:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I have been home enough this year to have a garden that might survive! I don't use pesticides or herbicides and have hand picked cabbage worms as an alternative. I also read "Montrose: Life in a Garden."

I love seeing the garden change especially around the full moon when everything gets an extra spurt."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  11:02:03 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I used a combination of cross-stitch and embroidery stitches as well as some silk ribbon and a button to try out some patterns and stitches I had not used before or had not used in a while. It also gave me a chance to try a few different types of thread to get a feel for how they are to work with.

It was a lot of fun and it turned out beautifully. I am once again reminded of the importance to check for colorfastness BEFORE I stitch and wash. My red thread ran a bit. I put it in a wooden frame and gave it to a friend as a parting gift."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page