Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 527

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2024 :  11:57:17 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Icing on the Cake Badge!

"I decided to do a simple decorated cake to enter into our county fair. This used just 4 different tips.

This was made during the Covid year and our county fair decided that we could have an online exhibit for home ec projects so I submitted photos of my cake. Unfortunately, prizes weren't given out....but we got to enjoy the cake at home!"

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2024 :  12:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Badge!

"I watched a couple videos to learn how to sharpen my kitchen knives, then I sharpened them.

I'm ashamed to say I've had a knife set on my counter since I got married (almost 22 years now) and it took earning a badge to figure out how to use the sharpener that was included in the knife set! It's so easy and made a world of difference on my knives. It only takes a couple seconds every time I put them away to make sure they're sharp now."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2024 :  12:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (#8352, Nancy Joplin) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Badge!

"I drove around my town and was disappointed because I didn't find much in the way of horses, so I drove to Norco. Norco is a town about 15 miles from my home and it is called Horse Town USA! Wow! did I find out about so many horse things! The town has bridle paths along all of the main roads and the crossing safety buttons are high enough to reach them if you are riding a horse!

I also went out to Cal Poly, Pomona and checked out the Arabian breeding barns. The Kellogg Arabians are world famous. I have loved horses since I was very young and always enjoyed going to a riding stable that was near our home with my Dad. I have not ridden in years, but have always enjoyed horses. I got to help my Boss with her horses! It was a very special event for me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2024 :  12:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (#8352, Nancy Joplin) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Badge!

"I started an herb garden. I grew two herbs for cooking, harvested them, and used them. I am so pleased with my Basil and Parsley plants! My son and daughter-in-law got me the cutest herb growing kit! It came in a wooden box with little burlap pots and peat pellets for planting! I love My Basil and Parsley plants and am getting ready to start the others soon! I used the Basil and Parsley in my spaghetti sauce! Amazing how flavorful fresh herbs are!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2024 :  1:47:12 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Through the Looking Glass Badge!

"I did some studying on the history of stained glass. Stained glass began in 2 areas, both in medieval Europe in the 10-16th centuries, with Chartres, France being the leading center of glass production and in the Middle East, with Persia being the main center of glass production, in the 15-17th centuries. Sand and wood ash were melted together and powdered metals were added to achieve different colors. When it cooled, it became glass. The lead pieces were cut with a heated iron. Stained glass was used to enhance the beauty of a building and also to tell a story. European glass emphasized human figures and Middle Eastern glass focused on geometric patterns and floral motifs. Stained glass production went into a decline until the 1800s when Louis Tiffany brought about a revolution in America with his copper foil construction method. Think Tiffany lamps!

There are several famous stained glass artists besides Louis Tiffany. Brian Clarke, Marc Chagall and Edgar Miller are some others, each doing their own style. My favorite would probably be Jean de Chelles and Pierre de Montreuil, who designed the South Rose Window in the Notre Dame Cathedral. It is 42 feet in diameter and has 84 panes of glass.

We have 2 churches in our town with stained glass, one being actual pictures and the other just geometric designs. This is a picture of the St. Patrick window in St. Patrick's church."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2024 :  1:49:46 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Through the Looking Glass Badge!

"We have 2 Catholic churches in our area that have beautiful windows. One of the priests gave me a tour and explained how when the new church was built they had to wait to put in the stained glass windows until they could afford to do so. Eventually all were put in. A friend of mine just went to the Catholic cathedral in Baker City and sent me this picture. She said a photo did not do the window justice, it is far more beautiful in person.

Our local art studio began offering stained glass making classes and I have taken 3 of them so far. I'm glad that they have a good supply of bandaids...."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2024 :  1:52:29 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Through the Looking Glass Badge!

"I have taken 3 different stained glass classes at our local art studio. It was a lot harder than I imagined cutting glass into pieces. I'm used to using a rotary cutter on fabric...not even close! I enjoyed it a lot more once I got the hang of using a soldering iron.

This is a picture of the 3 pieces that I have done. I currently have the largest in my bathroom window. I have posted the stained glass process in the chatroom."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2024 :  2:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Emily Nellinger (#8229, citychick03) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Badge!

"I wrote a letter to the editor of my local newspaper, The Philadelphia Inquirer, expressing why showing gratitude to people in the service industries is so important.

I wrote letters of appreciation to my local police and fire departments. (Our fire department is made up of volunteers.)

I am also reading the Book of Awesome.

I enjoyed writing the letters to the newspaper, police, and fire departments.

I received an email from the editor saying that my letter was in a pool to be considered for publication!

I also received a thank you letter from my police department!

I am enjoying reading the Book of Awesome, which is helping me appreciate the smaller things in life."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2024 :  09:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (#8352, Nancy Joplin) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

"I picked a harder project and started crocheting a blanket that looks striped. I worked on it with my friend while she was working on another project.

I started by crocheting little granny squares. I used some of my huge box of yarn that was leftover from other projects. I was able to make all of the little squares from that yarn! The only yarn I had to buy for the project was white to join all of the squares into strips and blue to join all of the strips together into the blanket. I had a great time making it, but I didn't realize how long it was going to take! I needed to set it aside to work on Christmas projects which caused it to take much longer, but I had so much fun and was able to use up so much of my scrap yarn!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2024 :  1:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (#8352, Nancy Joplin) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

"I made at least 25% of my Christmas presents and decorated my tree with at least 25% of the ornaments homemade.

I had a great time this year! I finished the stockings that I have been working on for several years. I have a large family and wanted each member to have a personalized gift from me! I had 18 left to complete! Each one takes about 50 hours to complete. Needless to say, I was very busy finishing them while working on other things as well. . . but, I finished them! With all of that going on, we were still able to decorate our tree with a great many handmade special items!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  10:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (#43, levisgrammy) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

"I earned this badge by cross stitching a book mark. I used 14 count Aida. This requires full stitches, half stitches and backstitching.

It was a simple project. I gave it to an avid reader who really seemed to like it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  12:29:01 PM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (#43, levisgrammy) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

"I chose and cross stitched a deer head on 14 count oatmeal Aida cloth. Mostly it was cross-stitches, half-stitches and back-stitching.

I like the way it turned out. I also framed it but decided not to mat it as I liked the look without it. It was a Christmas gift for my husband who is an avid hunter. He was also pleased with it. I would like to try my hand at a pattern that uses 28 count."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  1:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (#8551, patty) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Geography Merit Badge!

"I found my globe at a thrift store. There are 7 continents, there are a lot of world capitals. One search brought up 197 and another brought up 204. There are 5 oceans. Cartography is defined as the science and art of map making. Early forms were found on clay tablets and cave walls. The newest form is GIS for Geographic Information Systems using various types of data.

The badge went well, and I also found some other interesting facts.
1. Continents shift at about the same rate as our fingernails grow.
2. Australia is wider than the moon.
3. The earth's circumference at the equator is about 24,901 miles.
4. There are over 24 different time zones on earth.
5. The Marianas Trench is 35,814 feet deep.
6. 840 languages are spoken in Papua New Guinea."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (#8551, patty) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

"I have reusable shopping bags and use them. I dislike the way they pack my items in the store by only putting a few items in each bag.

This turned out well, because I use this method often. Plastic bags are a waste. I wish that they would have never started using them. The old brown paper bags were a lot better and sturdier, in my opinion."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  2:01:18 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (#8551, patty) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

"The best thing to calm me when stressed out is reading. Reading is so relaxing to me. Taking deep breaths is also calming and relaxing. I do that even when I'm not too stressed out - just to keep me in tune.

I did this exercise for a month. In school in English class, we would read for 10 minutes every day. Then the teacher did a different pause exercise to keep the mind and body opened and relaxed. This was definitely a good start to my day because it was first hour class."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  2:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

"After doing an Ancestry DNA test and finding out that I am part Scottish, I decided to do my civics research on Scotland.

Scotland is a devolved government, meaning that the transfer of powers and funding is taken from a national to local level. It ensures that decisions are made closer to the local people, communities and businesses that they affect.

The Scottish Government is made up of the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Administration. The Administration is made up of Ministers and Civil Service staff. It is accountable to the Parliament.

Scotland's basic doctrine is the constitution, which is the supreme and fundamental law, which holds that its founding principles are based on constitutional democracy and the right to govern themselves.

Their economic system is a small but open economy. It accounts for 5% of the UK export revenue. It's GDP per capita is higher than all other areas of the UK outside of London.

It's 5 main international trade partners are the Netherlands, the United States, Germany, France and the Republic of Ireland."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  3:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

"For this badge, I researched the artist Michaelangelo. I have added a post about some of what I learned on the chatroom. He had quite a creative life! I just wrote about what I considered the high points as there were too many to mention.

I also added a few Italian phrases that will come in handy in daily life:

Un Americano per favore--An Americano, please!
Che ore `e...What time is it?

Saremo in ritardo....We're going to be late!

La Cena `e....Dinner is ready!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  3:32:59 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

"In researching Italian holidays, I found that almost all of them are religious holidays. Usually everything in town will shut down except churches and it is a holiday for everyone!

Holidays start in January with the Epiphany then on to Mardi Gras, Easter Sunday and Monday. Easter Week is similar to our spring break with schools being closed.

May 1 is Labor Day, August 15 is the Assumption of Mary celebration, November 1 is All Saint's Day, December 8 is the Immaculate Conception, and then Christmas.

I decided to try an Italian custom for Easter by making a Pane di Pasqua, an Easter bread made in a ring with colored eggs tucked inside.

For my "presentation," I learned how to sing Happy Birthday in Italian and I sang it for my granddaughter on her birthday!

The bread was fun to make and pretty to look at! The eggs are colored when they are raw and cook while in the oven. AND, hopefully my granddaughter is young enough that she won't remember my singing!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  4:02:59 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (#8352, Nancy Joplin) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

"My passion is sewing and needlework, so it seems obvious that I would love old sewing items. It is amazing that my most precious piece is finally at my house and I was able to pick it up on what would have been my Dad's 93rd birthday.

I am so happy to have been able to take possession of my grandfather's old Willcox and Gibbs Metropolitan ruffler machine! I remember watching him use it in his dry goods shop when I went to visit in 1959. I am still doing research on it, but Willcox and Gibbs was the second oldest sewing machine company in the world. It has a serial number - 42526. I can't wait to get it all cleaned up and in a place of honor in my sewing room!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  4:26:44 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (#8352, Nancy Joplin) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

"I found some simple projects around my house and helped to paint rooms. I also read the book Dare to Repair, by Julie Sussman and Stephanie Glakas-Tenet.

I really enjoyed painting rooms. I did most of the cutting in and brush work. When I read the book, I realized that I knew more about home repair and upkeep than I thought I did!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  4:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Bowman (#8644, Historygirl17) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

"Looked for a beginner pattern for a dishcloth and watched a couple of tutorial videos. Chose the yarn and hook suggested.

Had an unexpected day off from work and decided to sit down and learn to make the dishcloth.

Very pleased with how it turned out! I think I’ll use a different yarn and smaller hook for the next one but at least I learned something new!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2024 :  09:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

"The Scottish government is made up of 2 parts, the Parliament and the Scottish Administration.

The Parliament is a group of 129 elected members with a 5 year term. They are the lawmaking body for devolved matters that fall under the responsibility of the government, such as defense, foreign policy and immigration.

Laws are made by the Parliament. Bills are passed here. Royal Assent is when the bill gets formal agreement by the King and becomes an Act of the Scottish Parliament.

These laws are then enforced by the Scottish Court System, which operates through both civil and criminal law proceedings. They interpret and apply the law, ensuring that the laws are enforced.

The Scottish Administration is made up of appointed members: Ministers and Civil Service staff.

The Ministers include 9 Cabinet Secretaries, 18 Ministers, the lord advocate and a general solicitor for Scotland.

Their collective job is to manage the economy, education, healthcare, justice, Scots law, rural affairs, housing, environment, equal opportunity, transportation and taxation.

The Permanent Secretary is a senior civil servant. He leads 7000+ people working in the Scottish government, supporting its development and implementing and communicating its policies.

The Director General heads up the Civil Service. They manage 30+ directories that are responsible for proposing legislation and putting policy into practice."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2024 :  1:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (#770, debbieklann) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

"The current Scottish government was established in 1999 after the 1997 referendum on Scottish devolution. Previously, the Scottish office, which was a department of the UK government, was responsible for domestic policy functions. It was led by the Secretary for Scotland. After the referendum, the Secretary's duties were transferred to the Ministers.

There was another referendum in 2014, voting for Scotland to become independent from the UK, but it failed to pass.

The importance of human rights is fundamental to Scottish beliefs on how people should be treated. They believe that all human beings are entitled to basic rights and freedoms. They strive to create an inclusive Scotland that protects, respects, promotes and fulfills internationally recognized human rights.

Scotland's Human Rights Act of 1998 includes the right to: life, a fair trial, privacy, voting, an adequate standard of living, the highest possible standard of physical and mental health, education, work and decent working conditions, social security, participation in cultural life, and the enjoyment of scientific progress.

It also includes the freedom of expression, religion or conscience, assembly, as well as freedom from torture, inhumane treatment and slavery."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2024 :  2:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (#8578, Shennandoah) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

"Keeping sharp knives has always been a struggle for me. My husband had a round ceramic sharpener that he used, but I just couldn’t get the hang of it. It would take forever to get knives sharp. For Christmas, my in-laws gave us an electric sharpening tool that sits flat on the counter and has two sides with a rotating belt/sander.

The electric sharpener has been a game changer! It’s so much easier for me to handle, especially for the big knives, and I can get all of the knives sharpened in record time. I don’t have to ask my husband to do it anymore - which is good because sometimes he works late and I have to make dinner. I’ve also had way less slipping while slicing because they are nice and sharp, which also means way less oopsies and sliced thumbs. Overall very pleased with this addition to our kitchen gadgets."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2024 :  2:54:41 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (#8578, Shennandoah) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

"In the fall, I added more herbs to the garden and was able to start harvesting from my elderberry (though a very small batch). The new herbs I added included onion chives, senna, chaste tree, and garlic. In the spring, I also added mint hyssop, mojito mint (have four kinds of mint now), and chamomile. I tried growing feverfew from seed, but I had to do several weeks of traveling for work and it croaked.

As soon as March hit with warm weather and rains the herbs started to take off. I dried a bunch for gifts, including some Greek oregano for homemade dressing. We had a family reunion this past weekend. Much of my family are non-drinkers including me, and we suffer from migraines. So I made a huge batch of hibiscus mint tea that I grew in the garden and brought herbs for mocktails.

The herbs, recipes, tea, and mocktails were a big hit! I made pal-no-mas with rosemary and mock-jitos with fresh mint. I also brought dried and fresh oregano, rosemary, and thyme for people to take home with them. I planted a bunch of more herbal tea plants and I'm hoping to keep expanding my herb inventory this year for more tasty treats!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 527 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page