Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 527

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2024 :  2:10:38 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (#8578, Shennandoah) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Permaculture Badge!

"Guilds are groupings of plants designed to support each other in a number of ways. This includes adding nutrients to the soil, providing shade, repelling bad bugs, attracting pollinators and beneficial insects, suppressing weeds, etc.

The permaculture ideas I’m implementing in my garden include: plant guilds, hugelkulture, living walkways, green mulch, animals, lasagna mulch, multi purpose plants, and working toward a zero waste/closed loop system.

This approach has had a tremendous impact on the property. Since I started three years ago, there has been dramatic improvement in the health of the soil. When we first moved in there were tons of fire ants and leaf cutter ants, but hardly any today, lizards, beneficial, etc. The pests the first year were of biblical proportions. This past year I had barely any issues. You can see a dramatic improvement in the health and texture of the soil. It’s retaining moisture, I’ve reduced erosion, and the garden is brimming with lizards, toads, tree frogs, hummingbirds, all kinds of butterflies, beneficial insects, wild birds, and even honeybees.

I'm still building up the foundation for the living walkways using lasagna mulch. I’ve got one section ready for me to apply the strawberry clover seed in March. So will see how that goes. But already I’ve had more production with less need for pest management. I also got certified as a wildlife habitat!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  10:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (#6994, GinnyBelle) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Badge!

"I did some research on the benefits of relaxation and stress relief.

I downloaded an app that has guided meditations for beginners and tried my first one today for 5 minutes.

I was surprised by all the benefits of relaxation! I knew stress was bad for mental health, but I had no idea all the negative impacts it has on physical health. Some of the articles even said stress is a factor in whether or not your body can fight off major diseases!

My meditation session really did seem to help. I have dabbled a bit in the past, but have trouble settling my mind. The guided meditation I chose helped me to gently focus on my breathing and not let my mind fret about other things. I did it at work on my morning break and it seems to have had a positive effect on how I have approached my day."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  10:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (#6071, GinghamGirl) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Staying Green Badge!

"I have been continuing to practice and reinforce habits from "Going Green" for a couple of years. The most difficult thing I find is making time to continue with making my own cleaning supplies. I find the cleaning solutions (simple vinegar, essential oils or castile soap) easy, but I find it a little more labour intensive to make my own laundry detergent and soap.

I'm still consistently making my own supplies, and have started making my own kitchen bar now to wash dishes with - I like this so much better than making liquid soap which took a lot more time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  10:30:32 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (#6071, GinghamGirl) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Staying Green Badge!

"This one was fun. I purchased several books to have on hand to make it easy to make my own recipes. I've also done some research and really enjoy (and own her books) the website from Jan Berry. I purchased glass bottles and created a nice little corner in our pantry to stock all our supplies, as well as a shelf just for already made cleaning supplies. I even have a basket there with "new" wooden brushes, cloths etc. for when the old ones wear out.

It makes it easier to create the products if I don't have to first go out and buy it. I've stocked up on all my vinegar, soda, soap, essential oil etc. I found many recipes don't really last long (remember, no preservatives!) so there is an element of having to take the time to put it together before you start cleaning. However, you just have to put your mind into the "I want to do this for my home - this is fun!" mode and it's a pleasure. It's also fun to switch up the essential oil blends according to the time of year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  10:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (#6071, GinghamGirl) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Staying Green Badge!

"Top three areas that need improvement: I don't like the plastic bottles cleaning solutions come in. I don't like the plastic saran wrap/ziploc bags that come with products being bought/or that we are still using. Some of our appliances are inefficient.

Plastic bottles: the majority of these I found come from cleaning solutions - vinegar, organic dish detergent etc. I found that you can find vinegar in glass bottles, and that it's easy to make a hard kitchen bar of soap to use for dishes. It cuts grease so much better, and I made so many that it will last me a year! Also, it's amazing how much cheaper it is!!

Saran Wrap/Ziploc: I prefer to buy from the farmer's market if I need to buy produce out of season (we don't live in an area where we can grow in winter as we have extreme winter. We don't have a greenhouse right now - but are planning on one). This is an easy way to support local and cut out plastic. For ziploc bags, I sewed my own little baggies that we can wash, and did the same for all the bowls etc. that need a cover on it before going into the fridge. Additionally, pottery with lids is a great way to skip the plastic - put leftovers in the pottery dish that has a lid, pop it straight into the oven, put it on the table. So easy! Appliances: we made a list and a budget to upgrade as appliances wear out."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  10:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (#6071, GinghamGirl) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Badge!

"Stewardship of the Earth is important to me as God created this earth and entrusted us with the responsibility of taking care of it. It's important to keep our highways, public places, and outdoor recreational areas litter free for various reasons. The first is that animals could get into it and get potentially harmed. Materials that don't decompose quickly won't break down and are left to build up. Lastly, it looks awful and doesn't show good stewardship. We live in a tourist area, if our roads are covered with debris it wouldn't be nearly as pretty and would take away from the beauty of the countryside. Just like I keep my house clean, it's important to keep our earth clean and tidy. The adverse effects are astounding - I recently did a large study with my children in Science on litter. We studied about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (more on that in the expert level) and learned from this book (Tracking Trash) many things.

Roads: safety issues. I think of the bicyclist that may not see the trash on the side of the road and potentially get in an accident either slipping on it or swerving to avoid it.

Waterways: Aquatic trash affects water quality, endangers plants and animals, and pollutes the outdoor spaces that we depend on for tourism and recreation. I think of the turtles that we saw in the Turtle Hospital in Florida. Majority were in there because of litter injuring them.

Nature: Many small animals crawl into bottles or jars and get stuck and starve to death. Birds, small animals and water creatures eat or get tangled in plastic bags or plastic 6-ring holders.

A lot of important information was found that makes you think twice about litter - don't litter and help out whenever you can to clean up litter."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  10:53:54 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (#6071, GinghamGirl) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Badge!

"We live on a secondary highway that often has litter, and we enjoy going out and cleaning up our road. Also, whenever we are in nature and on trails we always pick up litter from those that left it. We have a three part system in our home - recycling, garbage and compost. We have everything written out on a list so everyone in the house clearly understands how to dispose properly. We also have a guest cottage, and have ensured there are three separate containers, with clear and thorough instructions for each.

We regularly help out in any small way we can, starting at home moving to our activities outside our home."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  10:59:15 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (#6071, GinghamGirl) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Badge!

"In our community we can help out by adopting a road, or getting together in June with a group and cleaning up a specifically assigned area. We help out our community by maintaining a certain portion of the road we live on (which is a secondary route) regularly. I was able to research the Great Pacific Garbage Patch with my children in a Science study of "Tracking Trash" (a wonderful book resource!).

We learned so much through reading and studying from our book "Tracking Trash". Currents, how litter in other areas of the world come our way eventually depending on those currents etc. It's a very sad and difficult situation, where I hope a solution is found quickly as so many animals are getting injured and harmed because of it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:03:47 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (#8431, TinaTina) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Badge

"I earned this merit badge by explaining why stewardship of the earth is important to me. Plus the reasons why and what could happen to Mother Earth.

This merit badge is something I am aware of already and hope that if I talk about it to my friends and coworkers they will think about litter."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (#8578, Shennandoah) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Path to Zero Waste Badge!

"Some small, yet meaningful ways of reducing waste that I employ and/or am in the process of implementing include

-Switching to reusable gift wrap or no wrap. I just bought a book on furoski- the Japanese art of gift wrapping with reusable fabric-and have been picking up silk scarves and fabric at thrift stores to use

-I switched to a French press for making coffee a few years ago. Much less waste than drip or Keurig makers and all of the spent grounds go to the garden

-I’ve been composting for years, and have learned to compost more than just veggie scraps, including old bread and pasta

-Once I learned that most paper and cardboard isn’t actually recycled, I started using it to build up the soil. All paper feed bags, flour and sugar bags, shredded paper, pizza boxes, and cardboard go in the garden for lasagna mulch or in the compost as brown material

-I do a mix of banner compost and a compost bin that I made out of free untreated pallets I got from Facebook. Any and everything that can be composted goes in the pile, including the compostable paper plates (the compromise with my husband who insists on using paper plates). I always make sure I have the right balance of green to brown material and the right balance of moisture so it doesn’t get stinky.

-I buy bulk soil for the garden instead of bags as much as possible. I’m researching out to make my own potting soil using leaf mold and mulch. I have a large leaf mold pile started and am waiting for my chipper to get fixed so I can shred material to put in tubs for curing

- I reuse tubs and plastic food containers as much as possible. Old cream cheese tubs become seed storage, crafting and painting containers, etc. old glass jars for sauce and olives are washed and resumed as posey vases, storage for seeds, screws, etc.

- I reuse plant tags and nursery pots until they fall apart. I start many of my veggie and bedding plants from seed. I get old molasses tubs from local ranchers and use them as garden pots

-I darn socks until they are too worn, then use them as rags/dust cloths for as long as possible. I recently watched a video where one garden composts fabric so I may experiment with a separate bin and use that compost only for ornamental areas and pathways.

-I would like to be able to buy bulk ingredients using our own containers, but there aren’t many options where I live.

- I bought and use fabric produce bags that I bring to the store with me instead of using the plastic produce bags.

-as much as possible, I purchase big boxes of snacks and then put them in single serving Tupperware, instead of buying individually wrapped snacks. The only kid I can’t do that for is my youngest who is autistic. He does not know how to bring back Tupperware or even ziplock bags from school.

Our trash can is usually a quarter full when it goes to the curb. I reuse so many things, that my husband just knows to ask me if I can use something before he tries to throw it away. Much of our kitchen waste and paper products end up in the compost, which I’ve used to build a few flower beds.

The cream cheese tubs are used almost every where. They are really handy for painting and for bulk seed processing. And they save my good Tupperware from my eldest daughter, who was poking holes in them for catching bugs and lizards. She knows to use the cream cheese containers now!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:16:38 AM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (#8578, Shennandoah) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Badge!

"I’ve been an organic gardener for over 15 years. I am certified Master Gardener and owned an operated my own landscape company and garden coaching business for almost a decade, during which time I earned the Grown Green Landscaper certificate through the City of Austin, which included an integrated pest management section with an emphasis on organic pest control. I taught workshops on edible landscaping, organic gardening, attracting pollinators, deer wise gardening, etc. for local independent nurseries, garden clubs, and teachers associations. I no longer do it professionally but am currently mentoring about a half dozen people locally and my mom, sister, and niece on how to garden organically. I also seem to end up answering gardening questions at parties and online constantly. All the local nursery folk know me by name!

I have a TON of books and resources on organic gardening and employ those practices in my garden. My potager garden is roughly half an acre and includes fruit trees and shrubs, herbs, flowers, veggies, and native plants. I have a mix of perennial and annuals, many of which I’ve propagated myself. We moved to new property three years ago, so I’ve been building up a healthy eco system. The first year was rough because the previous owners were heavy handed with pesticides and herbicides, but I’ve been consistently improving the soil, encouraging wildlife, and adding native and adaptive plants throughout.

I had not read Montrose before, so I did for this badge. It was a lovely read with lovely artwork. I got into garden stories a couple years ago and have read some really nice ones including “People with Dirty Hands,” and “Bean Blossom Farms”

It’s year 3 and I finally see some tremendous improvement in the health of the garden and the output. I had tons of produce and hardly any pest problems. In fact I started seeing lacewings this year which is a good sign! I had almost no beneficial insects or wildlife the first year. Now I have tons of beneficials including ladybugs, parasitic wasps, all kinds of bees, spiders, lizards, toads, butterflies, hummingbirds, and more. Family and neighbors got to enjoy excess tomatoes, green beans, and squash as well as bouquets from my cut flowers. And of course lots of herbs for teas and seasoning."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:19:42 AM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (#8578, Shennandoah) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Badge!

"I’ve been recycling for decades, so to earn this badge I worked with my son, who is non verbal autistic. He was still putting everything in the trash (which I would have to dig out). Because he is autistic, I had to teach him to do one kind of item, reinforce it for several weeks till he got the hang of it, then add another. So we started with water bottles, then soda cans, then toy packaging, etc.

For the most part he knows what to put in recycling without prompting. I switched to compostable paper plates a couple months ago, but he still hasn’t gotten the hang of just leaving it on the counter so I can take it to the garden. So I’m currently digging those out of the trash. It will continue to be a work in progress with him, but he does always improve especially with positive reinforcement. Obviously it took more than the prescribed month for the badge for us to get this far but he’s come a long way!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:22:23 AM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (#8578, Shennandoah) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Spirit Badge!

"I held a farmgirl gathering at my sister's house Thanksgiving week to introduce my mom, sister, aunt ,daughter, and niece to the sisterhood. They liked the idea and had been asking about it. So I told each of them to bring/have a project to work on for the second half of the event. For the first half I showed them around the sisterhood website and chat groups. I showed them the badge binder and what kind of badges they could earn and how it works. I also showed them the farmgirl member badge I embroidered and we talked through how the projects they brought to work on could be their first badge. I gifted my mom and sister a membership because they were ready to dive in. (had already bought one for my daughter).

We ate a meal that included some of my home grown produce and cupcakes I made. We spent the second half of the event all crafting together.

Everyone was really interested and had a great time. We were so busy that I forgot to take pictures till the very end, at which point my aunt and daughter already left. But you can see them working on their first badge. My mom and sister still haven’t submitted them though! I’ve been giving them gentle nudges each week."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:31:41 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Badge!

"I cleaned out and reorganized a few drawers in my desk. My address books are in a cubby hole beside my pen holder. There is a drawer with notebooks of paper, another drawer with nice stationary and some purchased cards. The third drawer contains plain cards for decorating. The last drawer contains stamps and ink pads for decorating the plain cards.

It is so nice to have everything organized in one place! Now I just need to work on keeping the top of my desk cleaned off so I can sit there and use it :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Badge!

"I've been collecting buttons since I started sewing as a teenager. I take buttons off shirts before they become barn rags, I snatch up jars of buttons at yard sales and in thrift stores. I'm not sure how many I have but it's well over 50!

My button collection has been so useful over the years. When I want to add a little something extra to a project - like a pair of fingerless mittens, I never have to go to the store. I just dump out a jar and see what I can find!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Badge!

"I researched what cruelty free beauty products are (not tested on animals) but I found out that further research is needed. Some ingredients are not CURRENTLY tested because they were determined safe years ago. Since there are no regulations on the use of the term "cruelty free" some items labeled as such may not test their finished product on animals but the individual ingredients may be tested by their supplier(s).

In an effort to get rid of harmful chemicals in my everyday life I've been replacing items as I use them up - like switching to redmond tooth paste. I also stopped wearing make up when I went to town. I gave most of it to family members that wear it, and I haven't felt the need to replace any of it yet.

I made a variety of scented bath salts using Epsom salt and essential oils.

The bath salts are wonderful. I like the lavender for relaxing at the end of the day. The eucalyptus is great for clearing up stuffy sinuses. I will be making more of these when I run out!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:40:58 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Badge!

"I continued replacing items as I ran out of them, such as a shampoo bar instead of my pantene shampoo. I also made some homemade soap using beef tallow from a steer we raised for meat, and some sugar scrubs.

I was very skeptical about the shampoo bar. My hair is long and thin. It tangles easily and looks greasy quickly. I was very happy with how well it works! My soap is fantastic and my husband uses the sugar scrub instead of the orange goop hand cleaner. That is amazing to me!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:43:22 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level MaryJane's Better Butter Badge!

"I use my butter for everything! Any recipe that calls for oil I just use melted butter. I made some herb butters - my favorite was chive butter on mashed potatoes. I also like maple cinnamon butter on toast. I also made all kinds of cookies, brownies, and cakes.

Everything turned out delicious! I'm so thankful for a barn full of cows that give me fresh milk and cream. (The picture I'm including is a chocolate cherry thumbprint cookie I made a couple days ago beside a fresh stick of butter.)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:47:37 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Badge!

"For this level I made some herb infused oils to replace my lotion and I made some salves that are also infused with herbs.

I have replaced all the health and beauty products I use with natural, healthy options.

I also made gift baskets for family and friends for Christmas. Everyone received some bath salts, sugar scrub, soap, and salves.

The plantain oil I use for a daily moisturizer is great. The best for this time of year is the skin healing salve though. I get deep cracks on my knuckles when the temperatures are below freezing and I'm out doing the farm work. The salve healed them up and made them so much less painful!

The gift baskets were a hit! Everyone loved the homemade goodies. The best was my little nieces and nephews (they're 3 and 5). They loved getting Christmas soap and a Christmas wash cloth. I think this might become a new Christmas tradition."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Loretta Goodson (#8596) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Badge!

"I prepared a sewing kit for my daughter who does not generally sew. The kit is for her to do small sewing repairs as needed.

It turned out great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Loretta Goodson (#8596) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Badge!

"I made the apron that appears in the photo for my granddaughter for Christmas. As you can see the apron ties are much longer than usual because she like to tie her apron to the front instead of to the back.

This apron pattern has good results. It is a pattern that is easy to follow and looks good."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  11:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Emily Nellinger (#8229, citychick03) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level International Civics Challenge Badge!

"I earned my merit badge by googling information about the government in Greece for the questions listed.

I enjoyed learning more about the Greek government!
I learned that the major parts of the Greek gov't and how they work are: The Executive, which is the President, who is the head of state and the Prime Minister who is the head of gov't. The Legislative are members of Parliament, who control the gov't. The judicial consists of court presidents and judges, who make decisions for the people of Greece.

The Greek gov't does have elections. The President is elected by Parliament every 5 years, with no more than 2 consecutive terms in office.

The Legislative and Judicial branches are elected for 4-year terms in elections. Citizens 18 years and over may vote.

Parliament creates laws and the President issues them.

The Hellenic Police enforces the laws and operates under the authority of the Ministry of Citizen Protection."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  12:44:12 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (#6071, GinghamGirl) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Path to Zero Waste Badge!

"I researched zero-waste living online, but also got some books out from the library. My favourite book was 101 Ways to go Zero Waste by Kathryn Kellogg. My favourite websites are https://true.gbci.org/sites/default/files/resources/TRUE%20Home%20Zero%20Waste%20Audit.pdf and zerowastecollective.com.

It was really helpful to read through the books and to read about what a zero waste audit is as that was a new term for me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2024 :  12:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (#6071, GinghamGirl) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Path to Zero Waste Badge!

"I performed a zero waste audit in our home and was able to identify which areas we produce the most waste. The three most significant things I learned about was that not all people in our home are as conscientious about zero waste and there needs to be more teaching on this. The next thing I learned about was batteries and how to dispose of them properly. Lastly was the plastics that are brought in from online shopping. Many things you buy - for example a piece of clothing, comes in an outer package of plastic and also an inner layer of plastic. Even from those that are 100% organic clothing and are say they are earth conscious. The most surprising them to me was how I thought that other family members were aware of how to sort garbage/compost/recyclables properly but they weren't :)

I was very happy to learn all I did and am thankful that I can utilize the information I learned to help us going forward."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Joyce Hein (#6071, GinghamGirl) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Path to Zero Waste Badge!

"A small way that I'm hoping to reduce waste is through taking the time to ask (when we purchase online) to not put items in plastic bags. I'm thinking specifically of how I always order my groceries online. My hope is that if I ask them specifically, they won't bag items in plastic, but rather leave them loose. I was able to join an intensive one week gardening course through Joyful Gardener (https://growyourownvegetables.org/joyful-garden-docuseries/) and I learned a lot about composting through this.

We have a large compost area that we are currently putting are garden waste, grass clippings, manure etc. Most of our food compost is given to our pigs or chickens. The compost bucket in our home is cleaned out daily, and if needed with baking soda sprinkled on the bottom to keep it smelling good. We use the compost in our main garden, but also to put on our fields to add the nutrients to the soil."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 527 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page