Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 527

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  1:37:24 PM  Show Profile
Nancy A Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

"I read Blogging for Creatives: How Designers, Artists, Crafters and Writers Can Blog to Make Contacts, Win Business and Build Success by Robin Houghton.
I also chose a topic that I'm passionate about.

I learned a great deal about the concept and workings of blogging. There is so much involved in setting up a blog, but it sounds like fun. I think that my topic would have to do with Sewing and Needlecraft. I love working with my hands to create things!"

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  1:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner and an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

"This merit badge I earned bysorting my trash or reusing trash for craft projects and recycling so it doesn't all go into the landfill

This project turned out pretty easy as there are all kinds of resources for recycling or reusing items instead of the trash"

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  1:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

"I earned this merit badge by recycling for one month. Our family has actually been hard core recycling for over 10 years

This merit badge turned out good and it inspired my son,my coworkers and other friends how to recycle including composting, upcycling and reusing. Good merit badge"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  1:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Her Story Merit Badge!

"Had to wait for books to come in from the library so did some internet research. Both women very interesting, strong willed and focused. 1800's Sojourner Truth A Life A Symbol by Nell Irvin Painter-1. Had 6 owners in her life of slavery 2. Had 5 children but only talked about 4 of them 3. In 1843 became Sojourner Truth antislavery/feminist. Her name at birth was Isabella. 4.1950 wrote her "Narrative of Sojourner Truth A Northern Slave" and sold copies. 5. All ways wanted her own house and finally paid it off in 1954.

1900's Rosalind Franklin The Dark Lady of DNA by Brenda Maddox. 1. Got her dream job at age 26 a physical chemist. 2. 1950 at age of 30 went to a new field of biophysics at Kings College in London to study DNA. 3. Took sharp, clear pictures that no one noticed before it revealed 2 forms of DNA. 4.She was 2 steps away from answering the most exciting question "What is Life" and didn't take the leap and those that took the leap didn't acknowledge that she provided all the data. This happened in Feb. 28, 1953. 5. She went to work on the TMV (tobacco mosaic virus) and made a lot of discovery there too. She was a very smart gal. Too bad her life ended way to early. Who knows what she might have discovered."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  2:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Cordelia Carpenter (Cordelia, #8585) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

"I studied some horses while on a country drive and tried to guess their breed. My favorite was a chestnut with four white feet that looked like a quarter horse. I also was able to meet a new horse at the stable I ride at by asking it's owner if I could pet it.

I made a new connection with someone at the barn I work at by asking to pet their horse. We had never met before and now say hello on a regular basis."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Cordelia Carpenter (Cordelia, #8585) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

"I studied three different birds from three different regions in my state and wrote a mini blurb about what I learned for each bird.

I learned about two new birds and discovered a new favorite of mine. It was informative to learn about birds all across the state I live in that I haven't heard of before."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  2:11:47 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

"I mixed and baked my first biscuits when I was about ten years old, some sixty plus years ago. I’ve baked all kinds of breads, also feeding an Amish friendship culture for a year to make sour dough bread. All these years I’ve baked I merely followed a recipe without discovering the complexities involved in the process. I remember the baking soda volcano eruption science project in elementary school with little to no explanation to the chemical reaction that made the volcano flow. Two semesters of college chemistry were wasted on memorized formulas and tables. My point is this: without this badge requirement I would still be “in the dark” about baking one of my favorite foods-bread!
Baking soda and baking powder are both leavening agents which are used to make baked goods rise. Baking soda, aka sodium bicarbonate, is naturally alkaline and requires both an acid ingredient and a liquid to activate carbon dioxide to make bake goods rise and become light and fluffy. Baking powder is a “complete” leavening agent and only requires the addition of a liquid to activate a first carbon dioxide reaction. The second reaction occurs when heated.
Moist Banana Bread used both baking soda and baking powder in this all-purpose flour recipe. This quick bread was indeed very moist and light in texture. It could easily have been used as a dessert. The second bread I chose was a simple Brown Soda Bread using whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda and buttermilk as the acid. The bread rose nicely and made a great sandwich bread when sliced and topped with homemade pimento cheese. My third bread choice of bread consisted of an all-purpose flour recipe using only baking powder. The ingredients and texture of the mix reminded me of biscuits. I made sure the baking powder was fresh. The dough did rise as expected when baked, and cooled appropriately. The crust was crisp and the inside texture very much like a somewhat dense biscuit. I did not care for this recipe. Although I slightly cut down on the baking powder based on reviews, I could still taste it. All was not lost on this recipe. The next morning, I carefully sliced the bread, put the slices in a buttered frying pan and poured well-beaten eggs over the bread. I cooked one side, then the other, plated it and topped it with local raw honey. This is my usual way to use leftover biscuits. I’ve also frozen the leftover bread slices to use later.

What I did on my summer break from work. I learned all about leavening agents, and how and why different flours are used. I researched recipes and baked, critiqued, ate, and saved my favorite ones. What an enlightening badge requirement!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  2:13:53 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

"As a nationally accredited certified “ServSafe” recipient, food safety is very important to me. I both studied and practiced for this Food Protection Manager Certification in school cafeterias and at home. My highest marks were in Cleanliness and Sanitation. When any preparation or cooking is done, the kitchen should be clean, prep area sanitized, and area free of clutter. Because I have two small dogs, my kitchen floor is vacuumed to prevent door hair from settling on anything. It is also important to have both a clean body and clean clothing on during preparation and when cooking, hair secured to prevent contamination, and removal of rings and jewelry to prevent transfer of possible bacteria. These are best sanitary practices relating to any and all kitchen projects! I chose making vanilla bean extract as my project. The vanilla beans were ordered from a reputable co-op with great reviews. The beans were inspected upon arrival for possible mold. It happens! The last safety precaution for my finished project is to place the glass bottled extract in a cool, dark, secluded area to prevent breakage and to await the complete extraction of the vanilla bean.

I have always been particular about cleanliness in my kitchen area, even when I had children and half the neighborhood in and out. Since taking this “ServSafe” course, I am now a bit obsessive! I realize the importance of sanitary conditions to ensure the safety of the product and the safety of others to prevent pathogens and other food-borne illnesses."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  2:15:32 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

" Vanilla bean extracting seemed the perfect fit for me in 2021. It was easy but also gave me a chance to learn about vanilla beans and alcohol spirits. I ordered my first Madagascar Vanilla beans in 2021 from a reputable co-op. All I needed was a clean, sterilized jar with a lid, a new kitchen scale, parchment paper to cover the scale, the alcohol of choice, a sanitized prep area, a notebook to keep a detailed record, and my apron. Once the beans arrived, they were checked for visible mold which rarely happens. Beans were pliable, fresh, and oily as advertised. The 70-100 proof alcohol would also prohibit the growth of bacteria. The beans were placed in the sanitized jar, covered completely by the alcohol of choice, lid secured, then put away in a cool, dark place for approximately one year. I actually forgot about my first extract for over two years because of my move to a smaller home! Once located, I tested the results by mixing in a tablespoon of vanilla extract to sweetened half-n-half. This first extract is heavenly, liquid gold in a bottle! Delicious! I would do nothing to change the outcome. This single fold extract is considered pure because it contains no water or imitation ingredients like store bought extract. I learned the longer the beans sit in the alcohol, the stronger and better it becomes. Rum is naturally sweet, so the spirit added an extra depth of sweetness. The only thing I would do differently is to experiment with different types of beans with different spirits. I have learned so much and have greatly enjoy this journey! We call it going down the rabbit hole because once you start, there just isn’t any end!

This has been a fun kitchen project. I have learned so much about the history, the growth, picking, and processing of vanilla beans, and the different types and the expectations of the aroma and taste of each type of bean. Vanilla bean extracting can be an expensive hobby but well worth the enjoyment of the creation."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  2:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

"Since locating my original vanilla extract in January 2023, I have baked cookies, banana bread, added to sweetened milk, and made delicious homemade ice cream. I decided in March of this year to dive in head first to venture further into extracting. I ordered at least ten different vanilla beans, researched and purchased different alcohols according to the type of bean, and made them all during my summer break. They are now in that safe, cool and dark location. I’ve written detailed records in a Vanilla Journal and labeled each jar of these extracts. I am awaiting delivery of Hawaiian Vanilla Beans and I should be done with vanilla extracting for a while. But, there are so many other extracts to make! I also have created a coffee extract but I don’t like the alcohol I used. I’ll try again with Vodka because it has no presentable taste, and the coffee will be the only flavor. Cocoa nibs and cinnamon sticks were strained last night and both have a very good flavor. I especially like the cinnamon extract; I’ll use that to make cinnamon raisin bread. The whole coffee beans, cocoa nibs, and cinnamon will be dried, ground, and used in baking goods and sugars. I left out the part about the sugars! When the beans arrive, the vacuum-packed packaging contains the oils of the beans. With the addition of sugar and maybe a sliced open vanilla bean or tips, vanilla sugar is made that can be used in all kinds of foods. I also recently processed freeze-dried blueberries, lemon peels with absolutely no pith, dried apples, and that world-famous caramel candy. The rabbit hole has no end! Sorry, but this old lady doesn’t know how to download a picture without my Kindle. The stash is quite impressive! I share photos, add comments, and ask questions online on Facebook with my co-op group. (Note added: No jars have been bought for this endeavor. Only repurposed food-grade jars or empty alcohol bottles have been used!).

I have traveled completely down the rabbit hole into the extracting adventure. Now for the wait. Some of the darker spirits may take as long as 18 months before I can test for completion. White Rums and Vodka take different times as well. The overall learning process has been a joy and one that will continue for years as I document this journey."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2023 :  2:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

"New farm girl here posting toward my first badge! I've long held a library card. The library (and book store) are one of my favorite places. I was a single mom for over a decade and the library let my daughter and I check out books, audiobooks, and movies for our entertainment -- all free! A couple of years ago I discovered that the library has a Libby app so I can listen to audio books on my phone. They also have free access to a few genealogy sites such as Ancestry (just for searching not for building your own tree). I took my daughter to story time when she was younger (she's 20 now) and was part of a genealogy club that met at the library.

I buy most of my books these days (because I have the funds now) and have a habit of buying a bunch at once then devouring them. I read a variety of topics, mostly nonfiction, both for my own interests and for my work/professional development. Here is my current TBR pile(s).

I have a Reading Journal I bought off Amazon to help me keep track of what I have read and need to read. Last year I read 42 books! I took on a bigger role at work and have been managing a couple of large change projects, so haven't been doing as much reading outside of work since I've been spending so much time learning new technologies. But hoping to end the year strong!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2023 :  2:47:57 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

"I’ve been using reusable shopping bags for years and have about 20 for grocery shopping, a few large ones for craft stores, and one for the bookstore. My produce bags disappeared awhile back so for the beginner level badge I purchased 6 new reusable mesh produce bags. They’re machine washable too!

I bought groceries this week and used my new produce bags for some peaches and bok Choi. Of course I used my other bags for the other groceries. I took my son to half price books today so we used our red HPB bag to put our goodies in."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2023 :  2:55:01 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

"So my main guilty pleasure has long been pastries. I especially love muffins, scones, and quick breads for breakfast, usually from a box mix in the baking aisle.

During my last trip to Natural Grocers I came across this book called the Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook, which had a number of health muffin and bread recipes (among others) so I bought it. I decided to start with the spiced banana bread recipe, which uses all organic ingredients including coconut flour, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, tapioca starch, flaxseed, and cinnamon.

i did muffins and they turned out great! I actually like them better than the store bought kind, which had become too sweet. I paired the muffins with Greek yogurt which made a quick and easy healthy breakfast for a weekday morning."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2023 :  2:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

"I went through all my drawers and cabinets and got rid of anything we didn’t use or that was missing pieces. I then went to dollar tree and bought some organizers.

I used the organizers to bring order to all my kitchen drawers. I even got all the fast food packets organized in a container in the pantry. I created a beverage drawer beneath the microwave and coffee/tea area. Turns out I have a lot more space in my cabinets then I realized."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2023 :  2:59:42 PM  Show Profile
Emily Nellinger (citychick03, #8229) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

"Using, Wilton.com, I went into the Wilton School videos. I watched videos about cake decorating, techniques, and different ways to torte a cake, fill a cake, and make icings.
I also learned about how to use different cake decorating tips, and how to pipe with them.

I really enjoyed learning the different techniques that Wiltion school videos showed. It gave me new insight into cake decorating.
I especially liked the video on how to level a two-tiered cake."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  09:11:27 AM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

"I've had an empty sewing organizer that I bought years ago and never put together. So I gathered up my scattered supplies and organized them into a sewing kit. I bought my mother a new sewing machine for her birthday in December, so she gave me her old one (I haven't touched it since).

I decided on flower pot style pin cushion, which I made using a terra cotta pot I inherited along with some scrap fabric and stuffing.

It turned out great! I was so inspired about getting organized that I have kept going and am working on creating a craft space in my office loft (I work from home). I've also started a list of projects I want to tackle!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  09:30:37 AM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

"I've been recycling for almost 20 years now. Unfortunately when we first moved into our current home, the waste service we had did not provide a curbside recycling option and our county waste did not have a recycling drop off for residents. Luckily a neighbor referred us to another service, which is also locally and woman owned. They have pretty decent curbside recycling. Through our weekly service we can recycle: cardboard and paper (unsoiled), glass, plastic containers, aluminum, and tin. They don't take pizza boxes or plastic bags. I've included a screenshot of the quick guide they provided me when we signed up. The plastic bags I am able to recycle at our local grocery store now that they have added a bin, and the pizza boxes I use for lasagna mulching in the garden, along with any uncoated cardboard and paper. I also take my mother and sister's extra cardboard and paper as they have a business (and an online shopping habit) so there is always lots of that material -- more than can fit in their recycling bins.

Our county does a household hazardous waste disposal day once a year and a medication disposal day once a year, but it is unclear how they handle processing the materials they receive. I did take our spent paint cans and some pesticides and herbicides that the previous owners of our home left behind to the last event in April. We live about 45 minutes outside the city, which is where there are a few options for everyday recycling of cords and batteries through places like Best Buy.

My husband works for an HVAC company and they sell scrap metal they collect during jobs to a metal recycling place close by, so we take any metal items (like blunt or bent nails, old pipe, etc) to his company's scrap pile to be recycled.

I've been recycling for almost 20 years now. Unfortunately when we first moved into our current home, the waste service we had did not provide a curbside recycling option and our county waste did not have a recycling drop off for residents. Luckily a neighbor referred us to another service, which is also locally and woman owned. They have pretty decent curbside recycling. Through our weekly service we can recycle: cardboard and paper (unsoiled), glass, plastic containers, aluminum, and tin. They don't take pizza boxes or plastic bags. I've included a screenshot of the quick guide they provided me when we signed up. The plastic bags I am able to recycle at our local grocery store now that they have added a bin, and the pizza boxes I use for lasagna mulching in the garden, along with any uncoated cardboard and paper. I also take my mother and sister's extra cardboard and paper as they have a business (and an online shopping habit) so there is always lots of that material -- more than can fit in their recycling bins.

Our county does a household hazardous waste disposal day once a year and a medication disposal day once a year, but it is unclear how they handle processing the materials they receive. I did take our spent paint cans and some pesticides and herbicides that the previous owners of our home left behind to the last event in April. We live about 45 minutes outside the city, which is where there are a few options for everyday recycling of cords and batteries through places like Best Buy.

My husband works for an HVAC company and they sell scrap metal they collect during jobs to a metal recycling place close by, so we take any metal items (like blunt or bent nails, old pipe, etc) to his company's scrap pile to be recycled. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  09:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Shennandoah Connor (Shennandoah, #8578) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect it Merit Badge!

"When reading a recent flea market garden magazine, I was introduced to something called a flower frog. As an avid gardener and amateur florist, I was intrigued by the history and use of flower frogs as well as the incredible variety in design and materials. So on my last antiquing trip in May (for my birthday) I was excited to find a few metal versions (priced at $5-$10 each) and a ceramic one ($15) that I could afford. Holy cow did the prices vary! I saw several that were $60-$100 and some of the nicer stores.

I tried to figure out where my particular pieces came from, but there wasn't anything identifiable I could find, so I did some more research on flower frogs in general.

Flower frogs originated in Japan in the 14th century, where they were originally made from iron and called ikebana. They were introduced in the U.S. in the 1870's and enjoyed their peak of interest in the 1920's (I love things from the 20's-40's). They can vary dramatically in terms of size, shape, and material. Common materials include: glass, metal, ceramic, plastic. Metal designs are divided into three categories: pincushion, hairpin, and cage. Flower frogs can range in price from $10-$1,000 (with some rare collectibles going much higher). The most expensive flower frogs tend to have an additional element, usually a figurine like that of a dancing lady. Ii did learn that one of the makers of flower frogs was Brush-McCoy. I already have a few McCoy ceramic planters that I've picked up for a steal at a few antique stores, so I am intrigued by the idea of finding at least one McCory flower frog.

For the most part the glass and ceramic ones are the most unique and rare, whereas the metal ones are quite common. Many of the clubs and forums for flower frogs are now defunct (such as the Flower Frog Gazette), and many of the books and publications for collectors are out of print. For me, aesthetics, history, and function are more important to me than market value/collectability from an "expert" standpoint. I like what I like and I love anything to do with flowers and gardening and that is vintage. So this is a great collectors item for me!

I currently have four flower frogs, thanks to my last antique excursion (one ceramic and three metal). I now know more about they types of materials and designs. I've placed them in my potting shed (I just go it and am building shelving as I go) so they can be used or simply displayed along with my other flower arranging supplies. They are so cute and vintage I can't wait to see what other unique ones I can find. Keeping an eye out for deals!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  09:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

"More research. They have an executive branch, which consists of Chief of State: President, 6 yr. term, Head of Government: Prime Minister, and Cabinet. They are elected. Legislative branch, 200 seats, 4 yr. terms, Judicial branch, judges serve until mandatory retirement age of 65yrs. Acts of Parliament form the main body of law, if President approves it becomes law.

continued- Laws are enforced by Police of Finland, Finnish Security Intelligence Service, Border Guards and Customs, Finnish Defense Forces, and other small agencies as well. Interesting as to how different countries rule almost like ours. Few differences, but to be expected."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  09:57:41 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

"More research. Finland was a Grand Duchy from 1809 to 1917 under the Russian Empire. The Finnish Government was established on Nov. 27, 1917. The Finnish people have individual rights and civil rights just like us. Finland declared its independence in 1917. They were a part of Sweden, (1253-1808) and then an autonomous part of Russia (1809-1917). After the Treaty of Noteborg in 1323, most of

continued- Finland was a part of Sweden, for about 500 yrs. Russia captured the region of Finland from Sweden in 1808-1809. Sweden rule was still enforced, but Russia in 1899 tightens its grip on the Grand Duchy of Finland. Finland didn't take part in WW1; but nationalism had an influence on the region. 1906 they had their own parliament and elections in 1907, declared independence in 1917."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  10:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Beginner Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

"Well to create my letter writing box of supplies I had to get a few things. Stationary- that is hard to find. Not a lot of choices out there in my local stores but I did find some to get started with. I had some note cards but stationary looks pretty. Stamps I have and a favorite pen to write with. Address book needed an upgrading, but good, daughter getting married next year, so came in handy.

It turned out well. Still working on the upgrading of addresses but coming along fine."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  10:03:36 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

"I read "A Simple Act of Gratitude: How Learning to Say Thank You Changed My Life" by John Kralik(6/16-6/19)-Good book. Writing handwritten Thank You's is a lost art for sure and we do need it back.
I also read "If You Find This Letter: My Journey to Find Purpose Through Hundreds of Letters to Strangers" A Memoir by Hannah Brencher(6/19-6/24). Also, a good book. I wish I could find a letter out

continued-of the blue like that. It would be awesome. Look up her website and she is doing a good thing.
The 3 letters I wrote were to my niece, who lost her uncle, her dad (my brother), and her husband within a matter of months. I wrote to 2 of my friends that I haven't seen in a while too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Krug (patty, #8551) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Beginner Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

"I choose Finland for this topic because when my husband was in school, they had a foreign exchange student from there. They keep in touch though the years, and I think that is really nice of both of them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  10:26:28 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

"I earned this Merit Badge by looking for items in the store that uses less packaging. I have also looked up home remedies for cleaning without bad chemicals. I also use these items for cleaning and laundry

This merit badge was fun because I already use other item for cleaning, so I'm not using too many toxic chemicals."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16295 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16295 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  10:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacy, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

"Well I wanted to know what was the oldest button found. "The oldest button in the world is a shell button found in the Indus Valley civilization. This ancient community bored holes into the surface of shells to then stitch them to fabric for decorative use.

This was interesting then I read up on the Indus Civilization .. fascinating"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 527 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page