Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:26:21 AM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been collecting shopping bags for several years now and have a collection well over 6 reusable bags. I keep a bag of bags in my car at all times and bring what I think I need for my shopping trip into each store.

It has been working out great! In fact it's working out so well, that I am usually without brown bags to use for recycling..so have been finding an alternate solution to what to store my recycling in before it goes out to the curb!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:37:48 AM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"My husband and I set up a simple galvanized fencing circle closed with zip-ties last spring and have been composting in it since!

I have a blog telling my adventure to how I started composting. You may even find it entertaining!

http://homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u/137123/

It has turned out great! We have been tossing in kitchen scraps, yard waste and leaves for over a year now. We even had to set up an extra bin just for leaves. My hubby and I were just talking about ways we could make it more efficient and more user friendly. Sounds like we are well on our way to achieving the next level!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:44:59 AM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I started my very first vegetable garden three years ago! Since then, I have been adding to it and learning more and more about organic pest control. I have discovered that by planting certain plants next to other ones will attract good bugs to eat the bad bugs and some plants will even deter the big bad pests otherwise known as bunnies! I never use any pesticides or fertilizers. I square foot garden and use a lot of compost, so it isn't necessary to use fertilizer! I have converted many people to gardening organically and just gardening period! It's been fun! I also checked out the book, "Montrose: Life in a Garden," by Nancy Goodwin. I must admit that I didn't enjoy this book and fell asleep multiple times trying to get through it! It wasn't as engaging as other gardening books that I had read and so it was a difficult read.

My garden has been doing great! I have been learning so much every year and am excited to see the outcome of this years garden!
If you want to see photos of my efforts, you can go to:
http://homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u/146328/"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:49:02 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a gratitude journal for over a month.

I took a simple notebook and labeled the front cover. Each day I wrote down 7 things I was thankful for. It became more than just being thankful for coffee or books. It became the roof over my head, my working hands and fingers and much more. I am encouraging the kids to keep a gratitude journal."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  09:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I made nine dishcloths in four hours with cotton yarn. All of them are in the granny square hexagon shape. I taught my granddaughter to crochet a chain and she is taking her long chains and braiding them into a necklace.

They are just beautiful and I am enjoying using them in the kitchen and bath."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  09:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Shayna Palmer (mrsdirtdoctor, #1371) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I started sewing last year when my mother in law inspired me to do so. I first started sewing aprons, I sewed my first half apron by hand and then bought a sewing machine. I always wear an apron while in the kitchen and have them hanging everywhere, decorative and useful.

I love it! There are so many different things you can do with apron patterns and they look so pretty on!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  10:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made a flower trellis with two branches as poles on each side, the mesh in between is some old chicken coop wire that I tied on with jute string. I planted sweet peas at the base, I also made a green bean teepee with some old bamboo sticks I had and at the base of the poles I planted the green beans.

It feels good to be able to accomplish this on my own with what I had around the house. I can't wait for them to grow so I can take pictures of them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  10:13:00 AM  Show Profile
Shayna Palmer (mrsdirtdoctor, #1371) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I now have made many, many apron patterns, but the most fun is the full aprons with the frills. I even started my own website selling them. ;) Since I don't have many friends yet in the new state I live in (been here four years but it's still new to me), I hope it counts that I wear my apron to my neighbors when I deliver them fresh eggs from my chickies.

They are fun and easy! Love it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  10:26:02 AM  Show Profile
Shayna Palmer (mrsdirtdoctor, #1371) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"I have made five new apron patterns over the course of the year, some with ruffles and some without, some are smocked and some look like a beautiful dress. I give away my aprons as gifts to my family and friends back home and have even sent a pattern made by me to a friend. I will wear an apron to the store or out around town. My husband laughs at me but I tell him it's having no shame that means having the most fun.

I can't imagine not sewing, it has now become my passion, especially aprons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  10:33:33 AM  Show Profile
Shayna Palmer (mrsdirtdoctor, #1371) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have been composting for the last two years and since I have had chickens the compost has been getting even better! We put it in our garden and rototill it up for good nutrients for our plants. We found an old potato bin in our basement and put that to good use for the compost.

It is working great, my mother loves to bring bags of my chicken poop compost home for her own garden when she comes to visit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  11:18:00 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I read some books on simplifying and green living, I decided to repurpose what I have already into another item I needed. I took an old short dresser and turned it into a rustic tv stand. I took the first top drawer out and made it a shelf to hold the VCR, I used the bottom of the drawer as the base for the shelf, and the bottom two drawers hold some VCR tapes out of site. Then I took an old family pine gun cabinet and turned it into book shelves to hold more VCR tapes and decorations--a subtle way to decorate by putting out more of what I'm interested in. So for now I put away the Christmas decorations and put up my salt box style pottery I have picked up at thrift stores and I am trying not to clutter up too much.

I just love to sit in my living room now, they all turned out so nice. Again it feels so good to be able to make something out of something else. I was going to get rid of these pieces and now they are a part of my home. I am redoing just for me and it's giving me so many more ideas!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  11:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Shayna Palmer (mrsdirtdoctor, #1371) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"We have a Clematis that is going mad so we had no choice but to build our own trellis with old scrape wood in our barn/garage. We now have planted beans for the first year and made a wooden tee-pee for them, I can't wait to watch them start to climb.

It's so much better than store bought, and economical too!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  11:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out and reorganized my kitchen cupboards. I donated the extras to a local thrift store.

It's so nice to open my cupboard and be able to find a lid that fits a bowl. I feel so organized."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  11:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"I planted extra green beans and will donate them to my local food bank and churches.

It's like these plants are more special because they are going to people that are in real need. I am teaching my granddaughters the process of giving to others so they are helping me tend to them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  12:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I researched differences between raw and processed honey. Processed is heated to approx. 119 degrees which removes not only the pollen and impurities, but also eliminates many of the nutrients, this is done to keep the honey from crystallizing. Raw honey has many vitamins, minerals, yeast, and amino acids not found in processed honey. There are many beneficial factors in raw honey, too many to really list here, but here is a short list. It aids in digestion, reduces free radicals, aids in the healing of burns, and acts as an antiseptic.
I get my honey from: Honey Garden Raw Honey from Honey Gardens in Ferrisburgh Vt. A thick opaque honey with a creamy color and texture that has to be spooned out. However, there are a few local honey producers in the area including Merrimack Valley Apitherapy, Bellricka Ma.
I loved the book Bees Natures Little Miracles, liked it so much I down loaded it onto my Kindle, but will be purchasing a hard copy.

Worked out great. Enjoyed reviewing positive benefits of raw honey, and I will be purchasing the recommended reading in hard cover to lend out to friends."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  12:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Betsy Bollen (TexBetsy, #1444) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected and begun using reusable shopping bags. I use these for shopping, but also for taking my lunch to work, toting my latest crochet or sewing project, and have given many away when sharing left-overs with family and friends.

My favorite shopping bag is the one from Tractor Supply. It has a picture of a farm and the words, "Every day is earth day out here". Isn't that the truth!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  12:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Rene Robinson (#950) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I had an afternoon and some scrap fabric with medieval childrens print on it - princesses and knights, etc. I read the directions in the book then followed them to produce bean bags. I also covered an oatmeal can with extra matching fabric to serve as a container and holder when the bean bags finally got to rest.

It's wonderful, and they are the kids favorite toys! They even got picked OVER squirt guns!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer www.vanishingbees.com (very scary). I also read Sue Monk Kidd's "Secret Life of Bees" (also very scary but enlightening). We really do need to plant more bee friendly flowers which I'm already doing. The demise of the bees will eventually deplete us of fresh fruits, vegetables and other crops that depend on the bees pollination.

My rosemary bushes have lots of bees and I'm hoping the flowers I just planted will attract even more."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  10:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I have kept a journal for a month.

It has kept me focused on the positive instead of the negative."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  10:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I have loved horses since I was a child! I know them all but I don't own any!

I see horses where ever I go! I am always on the look out for them, they are so beautiful!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  10:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I've collected 12 bags over the years and utilize them for everything from shopping, to crocheting projects, to pool time.

I've been using shopping bags for years and love them. I even turned my mom onto them. I even bring one with me when I travel so I don't have to use plastic."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  11:25:51 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level In the Garden badge.

"This is my "Garden-go-Round". It is a contraption that my dad built back in the 50s for hanging potato sacks off of while we filled them with potatoes to fill the order for the local market.

There are 20 horizontal arms each with two "u" shaped hooks on it. The entire thing goes around on a center pivoting base and has a circular, rod "sack" bottom support all the around.

I resurrected it from the sagebrush that was growing through it, used wire brush on it and painted it, moved it to the lower end of my garden, and elevated it so it would "go-round."

Using 22 different cans, I drilled holes in the bottoms, ran baling wire through, made a loop at the bottom end and hung them around on the "arms."

The cans swing out when you spin the "go-round" making a tinkling noise. I was going to paint the cans different colors but decided that the shiny surface might work better as a deer deterrant, hoping they will not want to eat my garden!

I used a big metal handcrafted flower in the center, wiring it so that the "go-round" could spin.

I have also made a birdhouse for my daughter using old weathered abandoned beehive wood, hinges, metal objects and cans from our farm.

And, in a recycle project using milk cartons of various sizes and cans, I made a set of "re-purposed" birdhouses.

Over the years we have had raised vegetable beds and flower beds. We plan to do more this year in our garden.

Well, it was fun coming up with the "Garden-go-Round" and talking with my hubby and daughter about how we used it and the potato production my dad was engaged in in those years.

I think I can safely say that there is not one other person on this earth with a "Garden-go-Round" like this one. Similiar maybe, but not a "Gaylord Gardner" original with my 2010 remake!

I'm always creating with stuff that many folks would toss!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  11:36:43 AM  Show Profile
Marie Bucher (reereebee, #1627) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I collected some of my buttons by going through all of my hand-me-down sewing boxes and tucked away yard sale treasures. Then I began asking friends and family for any uniquely colored, textured or shaped buttons they were willing to part with. In the course of about a week, I had a pint sized Mason jar spilling over the brim with beautiful buttons! The jar now sits proudly on my desk. I have such a variety of colors that it is like its own little mosaic art piece. I have tons of crafting ideas swirling in my head for my lovely little jar of buttons.

It turned out fantastic. With the generosity of my friends and family, I ended up with quite a few more than the 50 required for the Beginner Buttoned Up badge, so I was thrilled. It also gave me a chance to share with them about the Mary Janes Farm Magazine and the Farmgirl Sisterhood. They were all so excited for me to be involved in this great "farm family."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  11:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Martha Koukios (Martha K, #508) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I have been a horse lover ever since I was a kid. I got my first horse when I was 16 and had her for 13 years, her name was April and she was a Quarter Horse (they are still my favorite breed). About two years ago my 14 year old niece Paige started to bug me about getting another horse. I found out through a gal I worked with that she volunteered at Heavenly Horse Haven, a horse and farm animal rescue in Anza CA. I began to go with her on the weekends to help out. My niece and I sponsored a special needs Appaloosa horse named Susanna and a few months later we adopted her, she is just the sweetest thing. We have had great fun helping out with all the animals at the rescue.

It has been very rewarding to help animals that have been treated badly by others. I have learned much about all types of farm animal including cows, pigs, chickens, llamas, alpacas, goats, ducks, donkeys and many more. Of course I love working with the horses and being part of this great organization."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  12:07:02 PM  Show Profile
Martha Koukios (Martha K, #508) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I started to collect the reusable shopping bags about six months ago and I have collected eight in all so far. Most of them are made from canvas but I have a few plastic coated ones also. I have made the commitment to use them each time I go to the store and it has been interesting to see how many people are starting to use them also. One of the stores I go to gives you a ticket each time you come in with your own bags and it goes into a drawing for a 25 dollar gift card for the store. So that is a nice incentive to use them also.

I really like the fact that I am not contibuting plastic or paper bags to the landfills. I have even started to buy products with less packaging to try to reduce my trash load on the earth."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page