Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2023 :  5:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I made a button bracelet and necklace from my button collection. I like the wooden buttons with multi-colored designs. I liked wearing the button necklace because the buttons were nice and smooth, not rough like some of the metal necklaces.

This was fun. I will be doing this with my grandsons. They love sorting playing with my button collection.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2023 :  5:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

“For the Kitchen Renegade badge, I wanted to make flavored olive oils.
Even though it seems simple, I looked at many recipes. Some recipes called for heating the oil and others had dried herbs.

I gathered three bottles with dispensing tops, a funnel, a pot, herbs, a candy thermometer, citric acid, and olive oil.

I choose to do the infused oil process which uses the citric acid and heat to stop bacterial growth. I made rosemary, thyme and garlic oils.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2023 :  5:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Kitchen Renegade Merit Badge!

“My kitchen renegade project was infused oil oils. I use the oils over the holidays. Used the garlic oil and rosemary with vinegar and dried oregano for bread dip. The thyme oil was use in a tossed greek salad with feta cheese. I use a lot of olive oil so this was a easy way to add extra flavor.

This turned out well and I will continue to make my own infused oils.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  11:47:40 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“The three places I hiked are in Virginia.
1. Crabtree Falls, 3.4 miles, with a series of five major cascades that you see as you hike.

2. Fairy Stone State Park, 2 mile hike. This park got its name from the fairy stones (staurolite) that are most abundance in this part of Virginia.

3. Blue Ridge Tunnel Trail is a historic railroad tunnel built in 1850. The trail is 2.25 miles.

Virginia's state bird is the Cardinal, and the flower and tree is the Dogwood.

I was proud of myself for being able to finish all three hikes since I don't really hike much. I really enjoyed it and plan on hiking more. We have a fire pit in our back yard and I learned how to build a fire when my son was in Boy Scouts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  12:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Andrea Fox (#8501) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have had the Calm app on my phone for a few years, but used it only at night for background sleep noises. When I decided to start earning my Relaxation badge, I opened up the app to see if there was anything on there to help me. I discovered Calm has a breathing section where you can choose a type of breathing exercise (i.e. relax, focus, etc.) and the length of time.

I love using the Calm app breathing section! I love how I can change breathing patterns to change the way I feel. And you can feel the difference! I am definitely going to continue to use the app to further my breathing practice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  12:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (AidanM, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I spent an additional 20 hours with elderly individuals. We cooked meals for them and I learned about their histories and families.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  12:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (AidanM, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I found an amazing website of cataloged native birds in Orange County: OCBirds.com.

I was able to look through the list and create a short list of the ones I want to see the most:
Hermit Warbler
Zebra Finch
Northern Goldfinch
Great yellowlegs
Say’s Phoebe”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  12:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (AidanM, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“I researched earthquake preparedness as this is the most likely disaster in our area.

I found a list of things to consider for our emergency plan:
How will I receive emergency alerts and warnings? iPhone.
What is my shelter plan? If possible fly to Ohio. If not possible drive.
What is my evacuation route? Multiple highways/airports near me.
What is my family/household communication plan? Phone if not working meet in Ohio.
Do I need to update my emergency preparedness kit? We need to create one!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  12:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (AidanM, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Orienteering Merit Badge!

“I learned what orienteering is and what equipment is needed.

Typical equipment includes running/hiking shoes, comfortable clothing, compass, electronic punch, and emergency whistle. Long pants are typically recommended due to the vegetation.

Optional equipment may include a watch for timing, cell phone (only for emergencies), or a control description holder.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (AidanM, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“We switched to organic food for our Guinea pigs. We buy hay from a local shelter and use organic pellets and treats for them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:14:07 PM  Show Profile
Micheline (Lily) D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I made my own laundry detergent and soap and all the cleaning products I need for myself and shared some of them with my sister.

I love how inexpensive the laundry soap I've made is. I'm saving a lot of money and my clothes are clean. I'm not sure what my sister thinks of it yet but I should ask. I added dried lavender to the soap and it smells really good. I used rosemary infused vinegar in many of my cleaners.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:15:03 PM  Show Profile
Micheline (Lily) D'Angelis (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I called up my Aunt-Godmother in Brazil and chatted with her via WhatsApp to collect information regarding my grandparents. I also did DNA testing.

I learned a lot about my grandparents. How they met, what they used to do for a living. How they died. I knew my grandmother sewed us shorts, underwear and dresses when we were little. I had no idea she was a professional seamstress who made beautiful wedding dresses!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

“I made my letter box out of a recycled cardboard box, scrapbook paper, a spaghetti box, and glue. It has two sections for cards and notepaper, a tab pocket for stamps and a pen holder. The front of the box opens and lays flat like a writing desk. I chose a blue paper with gold highlights and an alphabet paper for the letters on my letter box. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

“I read two books from the suggestion list: The Art of the Personal Letter and A Simple Act of Gratitude. I preferred the second book over the first book. I wrote three note cards of appreciation to three friends. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:37:15 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lost Art of Letter Writing Merit Badge!

“While visiting with another farmgirl we decided to start the new badge, Lost Art of Letter Writing. I used a cardboard box and covered it with craft paper. I made a section for my cards, stickers, thank you notes, and stamps. I put the letter-writing box on my desk, which will make it much easier to use.

Thank you for creating this badge. It gets me more organized and will be easier to send a note or card.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Birds Merit Badge!

“On a rainy afternoon, I went to the regional shore park to look for different species of birds. On that on trip I found an American Coot, Willet, Herring Gulls, Snowy Egret, Mallard, Canada Geese, Marsh Wren, Rock Pigeon, and blackbirds. At this shoreline they have documented over 100 different bird species.

It was a cold day but fun to go to the shoreline that I hadn't been in years.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:47:51 PM  Show Profile
Krista Davis (MaryJanesNiece, #525) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I went through all of my craft stuff and made a UFO list. Then I wrote down all the things I needed to complete each one. I have a list of over 40 UFOs and I hope to finish a bunch this year. I completed four of my easiest UFOs to complete my beginner badge. Two vinyl signs (one for the guest bathroom and one for the master bathroom), a Minnie Mouse freezer pop holder, and an Easter egg bunny. The vinyl signs just needed the vinyl applied and then I hung the signs. The two crochet projects were all made, but just not sewn together. Once all projects were finished I shared pictures on the Merit Badge Chit Chat.

All four projects turned out as I wanted and now I feel better with four less UFOs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2023 :  12:26:39 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I did a lot of new things for this level. I made a lovey, which is a small knitted piece that has an animal head attached at the center—it's a baby toy. My lovey had a cute little kitty head and was done in the moss stitch with fingering yarn which is much smaller than I usually use. I donated it to Project Linus. Total project time: 4 hours.

Next I knitted a gold-colored shawl with Lion Brand Homespun yarn which is bulky-weight yarn. It's knitted on size 11 circular needles. The stitches included yarn over, pass slipped stitch over and knit 2 together. It's triangular shaped and has an airy, lacy look. Total project time: 10 1/2 hours.

I made 8 dishcloths with cotton yarn. I knitted from charts which created figures like butterflies, hummingbirds, sailboats, frogs, and cardinals in the centers. I gave these as gifts. Total project time: 12 hours.

I loved making the variety of projects. And I especially enjoy knitting with my friend.

TOTAL TIME: 26 1/2 hours.

I knitted with my friend Darla 4 times for total of 5 hours.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2023 :  12:27:36 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I chose yarn that coordinated with the print on my bedroom chair—a dark lavender. I ordered Lion Brand Homespun yarn online. It was made on size 13 circular needles. There were a lot of pattern variations in the odd number rows which kept me on my toes! After many stops and starts I finally completed it and added the 8" long fringe on both ends. Total project time: 33 1/2 hours.

Next I chose a Block Island Hat. This is made with wool yarn on two sizes of circular needles and following a chart in the round. The designs include many different patterns including cables! The Kitchener stitch (a weaving method) was used to close the top of the crown—done with a large needle off the two points of the smaller circular needles. Techniques included (in addition to above) increasing and decreasing in pattern. Total project time: 5 hours. This was donated to Christmas At Sea.

To finish up this level I made 4 pairs of slippers as gifts for my friends. These are made on size 13 needles with two strands of yarn. The seams were sewed and pompons made. Total project time: 10 hours

TOTAL TIME: 57 1/4 hours

I thought I would never get that purple afghan done! I started lots of other projects throughout the making. But I persevered and kept going back to it. Finally I set a completion date and got it done! The Watch Cap was very challenging and I enjoyed it immensely.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2023 :  12:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“1/23-3/5/20: I crocheted four granny square blankets for Project Linus. These are made with sport weight yarn and take 6 1/2 hours each. Total project time: 26 hours.

10/3-11/17/20: I crocheted a very large, circular pink pineapple afghan as a topper for my bed. I did a lot ripping out as I corrected for pattern as the piece grew larger and larger. But it is lovely! Total project time: 45 hours.

There is a flaw in the pineapple afghan that I did not discover until it was finished. Fortunately no one else will ever know where it is!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2023 :  12:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“ I participated in the Project Linus 2022 Crochet Along. There were eight weekly segments posted online 3/5-4/23/22 to make a 40 x 50 blanket. New stitches comprised each segment: spike stitch, bead stitch, extended dbl crochet, waffle stitch, rolling waves, Patty's stitch, shells and border of reversed single crochet and picots. Wow! Did I learn a lot! $20 donation to Project Linus; $40 yarn cost. 53 hours. Donated finished pink blanket to Project Linus.

I loved learning all those new stitches. It was a pretty tightly crocheted blanket and just the right size for a Linus blanket.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2023 :  12:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“Collecting pink glass, especially pink Depression Glass, is my passion. I own several pieces in several patterns an I use them whenever I can. One of my favorite pieces is a 13" oval platter in the 'Homespun' pattern. My mother purchased it for me 40 years ago at an antique shop. 'Homespun' was made by the Jeannette Glass Company in Jeannette PA from 1939-1940. It was one of the seven major companies who made Depression Glass. They made several of the more popular patterns. Homespun was made only in pink and crystal.

Pam Wiggins, The Spruce Crafts states that Jeannette Bottle Works began operation in the late 1880's. In 1898 it became Jeannette Glass Company. It concentrated on utility glass early on and produced a vast selection of handmade bottles, jars and dish ware will into the early 1900's.

The company expanded production to prism glass in 1917. Prism glass was incorporated in both business anf residential structures to increase light exposure. This division of the company was sold in the mid 1920's. Improvements made to the factory during this period, however, included converting it to a pressed glass facility. This change allowed the company to later produce the Depression-era kitchen glass and dinnerware for which they are best known.

One of seven major glass companies producing Depression glass introduced 14 collectible patterns during the period 1928-1938.

I had to do some studying on this one. I discovered the names of several of my pieces and how to identify them, including factory marks on the bottoms of some pieces.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2023 :  12:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“As I go through my pieces and use Depression Glass by Gene Florence 4th & 6th Editions to identify patterns, I've noted the values from 1979 and 1989 respectively. I've checked online for ebay asking prices for some of my pieces to get a better idea of current values and availability. I'm developing a good inventory of what I have and the current value of some of my pieces.

On 4/1/21 I made the journey to my favorite antique store about 35 miles away. I was looking mostly for pink luncheon or dinner plates. I found one in a pattern I don't have. I also bought a 10", three-footed cake plate in Pink Sunflower—this is a pattern I'd not really noticed before and it's lovely. New treasures!

My wish list still includes at least four luncheon or dinner plates, as well as more pieces in Pink Sunflower which is also made by Jeannette Glass Company.

I discovered values and some new patterns. I love USING my Depression Glass.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2023 :  12:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Linda Bowlby (#7595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“I gathered all of it together. I emptied my china cabinet and cleaned everything. I rearranged and added more pieces. I also made two displays in the guest bedroom which is all pink; and on my 1/2 hutch in the living room. I incorporated my pink pieces with framed family photos. I also used vintage doiles and dresser scarf. Sparkle & Shine!

Of course one of the best things about this is touching, cleaning and shining all these pretties!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2023 :  1:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Rachele Karlovetz (Broken Thyroid, #8511) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have purchased 10 reusable shopping bags of all different sizes. I have been using them on my weekly grocery trips and not needing plastic bags.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page