Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  3:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (Jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I conducted research on what can be recycled, both at recycling centers and curbside in my area.

I learned a few things regarding my curbside recycling. Glass is no longer accepted at the curbside. It must be taken to the recycling center. My recycling company also changed their guidelines on the cleaning of the products put out for recycling. In the past, the products did not have to be cleaned. This policy has changed and now everything that is put out on the curb must be cleaned and dried.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  3:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (Jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“After researching the type of recyclables accepted in my area, I created a bin on my back patio to place recycling.

My hubby and I are now both in the habit of setting the recycling out each week on our garbage day. And by paying attention to what can be recycled, we have noticed that we are not putting nearly as much in our garbage cans.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  3:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (Jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I carry a library card, researched what my library offers and have a TBR shelf!

I held a library card for as long as I can remember. I have had my current card for 30 years. My local library offers the following services:
Meeting rooms, public computers & Wifi, study rooms, interlibrary loans, photocopying, scanning, a diverse collection of fiction and non-fiction in large type books, ebooks, e-audio books, and emagazines.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  3:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (Jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I organized my storage containers. I was able to purge containers without lids and lids without containers. I also switched out plastic containers for all glass.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  3:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (Jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“I had a kitchen that was over flowing with gadgets that could only be used for one purpose. Because I have a small kitchen (in a small home), I need to keep tools that are multi-purpose.

I was able to purge and donate all the tools, containers, and pans that did not serve my kitchen well. It was a freeing feeling to have room to move things around in cupboards and drawers and to know that I have everything that I need to to cook and bake for my family. In doing this activity, I'm also able to keep things better organized because there are less items cluttering up spaces.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  3:32:09 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“It's been so long since I earned the beginner level of this badge that I started by setting the goal of not eating any sugar for 30 days. After I accomplished that, I made the goal for the next month to limit sugar to special occasions and to be more active by doing things by hand around the farm rather than use the machinery if possible. For example I could push up the cow hay with the pitchfork rather than using the skid loader and I could walk to the field rather than taking the 4-wheeler.

By following these goals I lost 10 pounds and my clothes fit much better now. I also have more energy. For the expert phase I plan to continue my healthy eating and also start running again—it's been 12 years!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  3:33:33 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“For the intermediate level badge, I learned that there are many uses for leftover buttermilk—besides biscuits! It can be used to make salad dressing, tenderize meat, as a coating for making crumbs stick to food for frying (chicken, onion rings, etc.) and in baked goods. I also learned it's important to wash and knead your butter to get all the liquid out. If you don't it can spoil and go rancid. You can tell it's all out when the water for rinsing runs clear and kneading the butter doesn't bring out any more liquid.

Sweet cream butter is made from fresh or pasteurized cream. Cultured butter is made by letting the cream ripen or by adding cultures to the cream before making butter.

My home made butter turned out fantastic! Especially the ones I put in the molds. I love making butter and plan to continue doing so for a long time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  4:24:33 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I identified five root vegetables, where they are grown, and even the vegetables that I buy in the store. I checked out their farms online and looked where they have farms. I also looked into the best ways to store root vegetables.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  4:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I grew a few different kinds of root vegetables. I grew radishes, carrots, turnips, and beets. I have used these vegetables to cook for my family as well as freeze some beets too. I checked into native root veggies in my area and they do grow them in the southern region of my state.

This merit badge turned out good and tasty, as fresh food tastes so good. We don't use pesticides in my garden, so we sometimes have bug bites on our vegetables. We just cut off the bad spots.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2022 :  4:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I have grown in my garden radishes, trips, beets and carrots. I also checked into the best way to store these veggies.

This merit badge was good as I looked into ways to keep them longer for all four kinds of root veggies that I grow. I freeze and dehydrate them as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  11:17:03 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I looked up the definitions of cruelty-free and organic. A cruelty-free product can not be tested on animals nor can any of its ingredients, at any time during the production process, be tested on animals. An organic product uses natural ingredients to produce it. No harmful chemicals can be used in the product. I’m replacing my lotions and makeup with organic and cruelty-free whenever I can. I made a lip balm with bees wax and cocoa butter.

I find that I'm intentionally looking for the organic and cruelty-free products out of habit now. The lip balm making was fun. I gifted some of the lip balms to my family and friends. And it was surprisingly easy to make.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  11:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (jokamartell, #8422) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I continue to search for and purchase organic and cruelty-free products. I made bath salts.

It’s automatic now to look for the organic and cruelty-free beauty products that I need. I don’t even have to think about it anymore. I made bath salts using epsom salt and essential oil. It was a fun and easy project! :)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  11:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Carroll (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“You can use the leftover liquid to make homemade buttermilk biscuits and pancakes.

Washing and kneading butter important to get all the buttermilk out of it. You know when your homemade butter has been sufficiently washed and kneaded when the water you are washing it in runs clear.

Sweet cream butter is made with just cream and cultured butter is where cultures are added to the cream and it is fermented before the butter is made.

My butter turned out beautifully. I learned that the paddle on my churn needs to have a set screw put into it.

My butter is delicious and makes the best pancakes and biscuits. My poor churn is getting a paddle upgrade, but I was able to finish my butter with a stick blender at least.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  11:43:00 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by growing a vegetable and flower garden. It's pesticide free. I even used compost from my bin. I also read the book Montrose: Life in a Garden.

My garden turned out great. I have more tomatoes than I can eat, so I'm sharing my harvest with my coworkers. Everyone at work knows I grow my veggies organically.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  11:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I researched native plants to my area. I also research what plants to plant in the garden that will naturally repel bad bugs.

This year for my garden, I had very few bugs eating my plants. Hopefully, the herbs I planted distracted the bugs from my garden. I also planted a couple of sections with wildflowers. They turned out beautiful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  11:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by gathering simple sewing supplies for a friend at work that doesn't have a sewing kit.

The project turned out cute. I used a mint container and put supplies into it that she could use in an emergency.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  12:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Susan Daniel (subfarmgirl, #3727) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“A couple of days after the Russian invasion of Ukraine earlier this year, I was moved to do something to show support for the people of Ukraine. I came across a free cross-stitch bookmark pattern whose colors and geometric shapes, based on traditional Ukrainian motifs, caught my eye. I downloaded and printed the pattern, gathered the supplies, read and watched tutorials, and got to stitchin'.

I took several photos of my progress (Feb. 26, March 5, and finished April 7). Once I finished the stitching, I set the project aside, and several months passed before I finished the stitched piece into a bookmark, following a video tutorial at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvis6ywk9n8. I'm really pleased with the result and am thoroughly hooked on cross-stitch. It's very relaxing and motivating to make beautiful items with fabric and thread!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2022 :  11:11:06 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level 'Out There' Women Merit Badge!

“I've put together a backpack for hiking. The pack includes: a first aid kit, compass, whistle, duct tape, poncho and space blanket, water filter, spare cash, matches, army knife, radio with flash light, snaplight safety light, and a home made trail mix.

10 Native plants that I've been learning about and trying to identify on our walks include:

Snakeweed: Out in the dry areas of Crook and Jefferson counties, snakeweed is a small shrub that grows 8-18 inches tall. Snakeweed was occasionally used as a treatment for snakebite, hence its name. Historically, it could also be used as a broom when bundled together.

Red Baneberry: The roots and berries are the most poisonous parts of baneberry, however all parts are toxic. The berries are quite bitter, so it is not likely that one would eat enough of them to receive a severe reaction. If ingested, symptoms include stomach cramps, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, delirium, and circulatory failure. Eating six or more berries can result in respiratory distress and cardiac arrest. Native Americans were aware of baneberry’s toxicity, so rather than use it as a food source, they used it medicinally. Among other things, the root was used as a treatment for menstrual cramps, postpartum pain, and issues related to menopause, and the berry was used to induce vomiting and diarrhea and as a treatment for snakebites. Leaves were chewed and applied to boils and wounds.

Valerian Sitchensis: This is a rhizomatous perennial herb producing a stout, erect stem to about 70 centimeters in maximum height, but known to exceed one meter at times. The leaves vary in size and shape, often having deep lobes or being composed of several leaflets. The flower has five corolla lobes and three whiskery stamens protruding from the center. Native Americans cooked and ate the roots, which have a poor scent. Some tribes also pounded the roots to make a poultice.

Crimson Columbine: (Aquilegia Formosa) is a perennial herb that grows to 20–80 cm in height, averaging around 60 cm. Flowers, which can be seen from April to August (with some variation between regions), are about 5 cm long and red and yellow in color. The flowers are edible, with a sweet taste—though the seeds can be fatal if eaten, and most parts of the plant contain cyanogenic glycosides. Some Plateau Indian tribes used the Aquilegia formosa to concoct a perfume. It is also used medicinally by several Native American tribes.

False Solomon Seal: Originally named Smilacina racemosa, this plant that ranges across most of North America north of Mexico in zones 3-9 was moved to the genus Maianthemum a long time ago but the old name is still sometimes used. Native Americans used the root and leaves medicinally and ate the young shoots and processed roots.

Heartleaf Arnica: Europeans and Native Americans independently discovered the medicinal qualities of Arnica species. For centuries, the European species Arnica montana has been used to treat acne, bleeding, and pain. More than 100 arnica-based teas and preparations are still marketed in Germany, though physicians caution against over-consumption or taking it internally, as the plant can be toxic. Native Americans used the root of Heartleaf and other arnica species to treat sort throats, aching teeth, cuts, and bruises. Mixed with ocher and bird feathers, arnica was also used as a sort of love potion.

Bedstraw: It is commonly found in low shrubby vegetation, arable fields, and in gardens with moist soils. It causes problems in crops during harvesting when bedstraw becomes tangled with the crop or equipment. This plant supposedly has many medicinal uses. The dried and roasted fruits can be used to make a coffee substitute (this plant is in the same family as coffee, Coffea spp.). The young leaves can be eaten raw or cooked.

Red Elderberry: Natives steamed the berries on rocks and put them in a container stored underground or in water, eating them later in winter. Leaves, bark or roots were applied externally to abscesses, aching muscles, or sore joints. Roots or bark were chewed or made into a tea to induce vomiting or as a laxative. Flowers were boiled down to treat coughs and colds. Hollow stems were used for whistles, pipes and toy blowguns. Although they have sometimes been eaten fresh, it is advisable to always cook the berries before eating, raw berries may cause nausea. The seeds are considered poisonous. Cooked berries can be made into wines, sauces or jellies.

Western Mugwort: Traditional usage among Native Americans was for ritual smudge, eczema, spider bite, stomach ache, and menstrual woes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2022 :  11:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia Platts (#4017) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I began stitching by hand as a child as my grandmother taught me. In recent years to current, I sew quilts of all sizes and materials and do entire design (pick fabrics, cut and stitch on machine usually). Then I quilt the sandwich together. I use a design wall to audition fabrics. It is much of my life. I often make and share quilts in the community besides with family. Some are traditional, some art quilts. Doing a Bookish BOM w QuiltFolk currently.

They are a continuous process. Some quilted given out, some in line to finish. I always love them and am happy with them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2022 :  11:14:18 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia Platts (#4017) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Pampered Pets Merit Badge!

“After losing my husband 1.5 years ago, my kids wanted me to have a guard dog.

His name is Mr. E. He knows many commands, and is learning about cows and chickens on our walks. Loves to go see his groomer and boarder. He loves to sleep at the foot of my bed! He's very loyal and watchful.

He is my perfect buddy—very sweet and continues to learn and grow! It is a continuous relationship. Smiles!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2022 :  11:16:15 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia Platts (#4017) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“Pollinators! Yikes ... where are they? In my garden, which is open cold frames and stock tanks, things like cukes, zucchini, and green beans are not pollinating.
Lettuce, peas, and other greens have been wonderful.

So I'm watering under foliage in the evening, mulching, and topping with new organic compost from farm. Now I have lots flowers blooming to attract pollinators. I've been gardening all my life and never had this issue. Use organic compost from chicken house, black soil from farm, and water from spring on my gravity flow.

I looked up hand pollination, did it on a cucumber, and it is growing! It's also helping not to water overhead. I'm hoping with less severe heat pollinators besides yellow jackets will be more present. Lots of hummingbirds and butterflies (monarchs and swallowtails). I plan on more flowers for pollinators next year. In the process, I'm hoping for shift as weather cools.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2022 :  11:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I started expert level back in January 2022.
I have a farm animal crochet book that I've always wanted to make the animals from. This was the year to make them all. Additionally, I came up with an idea to make a list of 12 projects to complete this year. I shared it with our Brentwood Farmgirl Chapter. Every month we roll the dice to see what we need to work on over the next 30 days. It's working out well and we are eight months into getting projects done.

For my 30 hours as expert, I crocheted: a horse, cow, pig, sheep, rat, and chicken. The hardest one to do was the horse because it was so big and I also had a hard time attaching the legs on animals in the right position. I definitely improved my pattern reading skills. I look forward to the next four months finishing more projects.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2022 :  11:29:20 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“This badge took a long time. I started the Vitamin Ball Dancing Vegetables in January 2022 and finished it in 8.5 months. I made it into a wall hanging and used pansy fabric because we are in the year of the pansy as an herb. The pillowcases took about 4 days to complete. I chose a Sun Bonnet Sue pattern.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2022 :  12:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Grow Where You're Planted Merit Badge!

“I collected many more than five flowers and pressed them. I had so much fun doing this. I started when I lived in California, for over a year. I then moved to Texas and started to collect them for over 5 months. All of spring and summer. I drove all over the north of Texas and found so many more than in California. Texas has such beautiful flowers. I then made some homemade paper and mounted them to it put their name next to them with a description.

I looked up the rare and endangered plants and flowers in my area. I did get a few pictures and did a report on them. I did not pick them. This is a little list of a few of them: Ashy Dogweed, Black Lace Cactus, Bracted Twistflower, Brush-pea, Bunched Cory Cactus, the Chisos Mountains Hedgehog Cactus, Davis' Green Pitaya, Dune Umbrella-sedge, Earth Fruit, Guadalupe Fescue, Gypsum Scalebroom, Hinckley's Oak, Houston Daisy, Johnston's Frankenia, Large-fruited Sand Verbena, Leoncita False Foxglove, Little Aguja Pondweed, Livermore Sweet-cicely, Lloyd's Mariposa Cactus, Navasota Ladies'-tresses, Neches River Rose-mallow, Nellie's Cory Cactus, Pecos Sunflower, Rock Quillwort, Slender Rushpea, Small-headed Pipewort, Sneed's Pincushion Cactus, South Texas Ambrosia, Star Cactus, Terlingua Creek Cat's-eye, Texas Ayenia, Texas Golden Gladecress, Texas Poppy-mallow, Texas Prairie Dawn, Texas Snowbell, Texas Trailing Phlox, Texas Wild Rice, Tobusch Fishhook Cactus, Walker's Manioc, White Bladderpod, Zapata Bladderpod.

I loved how my pictures came out with homemade paper and dried flowers in the frame.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2022 :  12:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I wrote a letter to the local newspaper talking about the importance of precise communication and syntax. I'm from a small town of 3,000 people so we don't have our own paper. The newspaper is written for four different towns in my area. The paper consists of six pages.

I read the book Eats, Shoots, and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss. The book was a long hard-to-read book, but it did teach me a lot. I looked up new words for another two weeks.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page