Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  12:52:11 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Leatherworking Merit Badge!

“The tanning methods for leatherworking are:
Chromium, which is a chemical and it makes it durable, gives a variety of color, it's thin and soft.

Vegetable tanning is organic using oak, spruce bark, quebracho, tarapods, olive leaves, rhubarb roots and mimosa are common.

Vegetable tanning is called natural leather, it's thick, hard-wearing, biodegradable, and eco-friendly.

Smoke tanning removes animal hair, waterproofs the surface, prevents hardness due to moisture, which means this leather can be washed.

Finishing determines the appearance of the final surface includes coloring, waterproofing, wax dressings, mechanical ironing or embossing.

Vegetable tanning is the organic method of tanning leather. Milled vegetable tanning is the process of milling to produce a supple feel and prominent grain.

Leather weight actually refers to the thickness of the leather. It is gauged in increments of ounces.

Stamping is the process of using a stamp to leave a 3D impression on leather.

Casing is the process of adding water to vegetable tanned leather to soften the leather.

Basic leather care and maintenance: Store leather in breathable containers, do not use plastic, store at cool temperatures and use acid free paper. Regularly clean with a soft cloth, air out regularly, keep dry and cool, use leather conditioner every 3 to 6 months.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  12:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Connecting Growers and Eaters Merit Badge!

“I've been going to our local community garden at Creekside Park to volunteer time pulling weeds. Now that it is getting hot, I have to go in the early mornings. I've put in the six hours by doing three two-hour visits.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  12:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“Last year I had two growing seasons on my garden for my tomatoes.

I continued to save the seeds from my heirlooms.
I germinated over 100 seeds this time.
I planted them today 6/6/2022.

My garden this year has over 50% heirloom varieties. Last year I gave my excess seeds to Rea and Allie. Seed saving helps trim your yearly gardening budget, while allowing you to grow plants that do well in your yard growing conditions. It helps maintain the genetic diversity of our plants at a time when many unique varieties have disappeared.

It took a long time time complete this badge through three growing seasons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  1:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Weaving Merit Badge!

“I learned about different types of looms and how to make a pattern on a loom. There are seven different types of loom: frame loom/ lap loom; tapestry loom; rigid heddle loom; Inkle loom; floor loom; table loom; and bead loom. I learned how to weave on a loom. I weaved a belt for my niece, but then decided I really liked it and wrapped it around my wrist several times and loved how it looked and decided to keep it. I showed a friend what I learned and they were in awe. I also made a video of it and put it on my Farmgirl Facebook page. I hope that the ladies will try this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  1:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I made an effort to improve my grammar and spelling. I don't spell very well so this was not an easy merit badge for me to do. I used a dictionary on my computer to look up a word of the day for two weeks. I wrote down the meaning of each word and its uses. I tried to incorporate the word into my daily activity. One of the words I looked up was junket. Junket refers to a trip that is paid for by someone else, such as a promotional trip made at another expense, or an official's trip made at public expense.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  1:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“Brazil is a federal presidential constitutional republic, which is based on representative democracy. The federal government has three independent branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. The Federal Constitution is the supreme law of Brazil. Three decades of democratic rule in Brazil have produced meaningful progress towards establishing a universal and effective rule of law in South America's largest nation. The Brazilian legal system is based on Civil Law tradition. The Federal Constitution, in force since October 5th, 1988, is the supreme ruler of the country and is characterized by its rigid written form.

Brazil is one of the world giants in mining, agriculture, and manufacturing, and it has a strong and rapidly growing service sector. It is a leading producer of a host of minerals, including iron ore, tin, bauxite (the ore of aluminum), manganese, gold, quartz, diamonds, and other gems, and it exports vast quantities of steel, automobiles, electronics, and consumer goods. Brazil is the world’s primary source of coffee, oranges, and cassava (manioc) and a major producer of sugar, soy, and beef.

Brazil's major trading partner countries for exports were China, the United States, Argentina, the Netherlands, and Japan and for imports, they were China, the United States, Argentina, Germany, and Korea.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  1:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“The Federal Government of Brazil is the national government of the Federative Republic of Brazil, a republic in South America divided into 26 states and a federal district. The Brazilian federal government is divided into three branches: the executive, which is headed by the President and the cabinet; the legislative, whose powers are vested by the Constitution in the National Congress; and the judiciary, whose powers are vested in the Supreme Federal Court and lower federal courts. The seat of the federal government is located in Brasilia.

The president of Brazil serves for a term of four years and may be re-elected for a single consecutive term. This two-term limit, however, is not for life—a former president who has served for two consecutive terms may run for the presidency again after at least one term has elapsed. National Congress has two chambers. The Chamber of Deputies has 513 members, elected to a four-year term by proportional representation. The Federal Senate has 81 members, elected to an eight-year term, with elections every four years for alternatively one-third and two-thirds of the seats.

Brazil has a multi-party system, with such numerous parties that often no one party has a chance of gaining power alone, and so they must work with each other to form coalition governments. Above the broad range of political parties in Brazilian Congress, the Workers' Party (PT), the Brazilian Democratic Movement (MDB), Liberal Party (PL), the Progressistas (PP), and the Brazil Union (UB) together control the absolute majority of seats in the Senate and Chamber of Deputies.

Laws are enacted by the President and then published in the Official Gazette. Some laws may contain a vacatio legis, that is, a given period of time following publication in the Official Gazette in which the general public may become better acquainted with the contents of the law before it becomes fully effective. In Brazilian Law, maintaining order is considered a preventive effort whereby police troopers patrol the streets to protect citizens and discourage criminal activity. Law enforcement consists of a criminal investigation after an offense.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  1:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level International Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“After more than three hundred years of Portuguese rule, Brazil became independent in 1822. It first adopted a monarchical system until1889, when a republic was established. Since 1889, the country has had several forms of government, including state autonomy and centralization, authoritarianism, and democracy.

Human rights in Brazil include the right to life and freedom of speech; and condemnation of slavery and torture. The nation ratified the American Convention on Human Rights. The government generally does not restrict social freedoms. Same-sex marriage became legal in 2013. However, while a 2006 law sought to address Brazil's high rates of impunity for domestic violence, violence against women and girls remains widespread.

Significant historical events are:
Pedro Alvares Cabral claims Brazil as his country.
1500 The Portuguese arrived in Brazil under the command of Pedro Alvares Cabral, who claimed this new land as his own.
Dutch Invades Brazil
1630 - The Dutch desire Brazilian occupancy and domination and choose this year to invade the country, now occupied largely by the Portuguese.
Portuguese claim Ownership of Brazil
1654 – The Dutch are finally driven from Brazil by the Portuguese, who once again claim ownership.
Independence of Brazil
1822 - Brazil breaks ties with Portugal, finally announcing its independence.
Slavery Abolished
1888 – A mammoth step forward occurs when slavery is finally abolished this year.
A New Constitution
1946 - A new constitution is implemented in the country, which restores the rights of individuals.
The military takes control over the Brazilian Government
1964 – For a time, military leaders take control of the Brazilian government.
Brazil returned to Civilian Rule
1985 - Brazil’s government is finally returned to civilian rule.
New Constitution of Brazil
1988 - The Constituent Assembly ensures a wide distribution and consciousness of the new constitution of Brazil, which gives its citizens more individual rights.
It first adopted a monarchical system in 1889, when a republic was established. Since 1889, the country has had several forms of government, including state autonomy and centralization, authoritarianism, and democracy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  1:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Water Management Merit Badge!

“A native landscape provides so much more than just water-conserving features. Native landscapes provide habitats for wildlife and encourage the presence of native insects and microorganisms; these native organisms benefit plants by keeping them healthy without the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Beets, lettuce, mustard greens, radish, and carrots are all frost-tolerant veggies that can survive temperatures as low as 32°F and will do nicely in a fall vegetable garden in Texas.

In Texas, the soil types that I have are black land clay and sand. Soil type effects the amount of water a lawn needs. Clay soil retains the most water and thus needs watering less often. However, because water seeps into clay soil more slowly, it must be applied at lower rates over a longer period of time. Morning watering is actually preferable to evening watering as the plant has time to dry before the sun goes down. At night, water tends to rest in the soil, around the roots, and on the foliage, which encourages rot, fungal growth, and insects. Watering deeply refers to watering in a manner that allows the soil to be soaked several inches (7-10 cm) deep. Deep watering helps to make water more readily available to plants, and it allows for more efficient use of water in the event of prolonged periods without rain. Yes, I do think it could work for me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  1:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Water Management Merit Badge!

“The two ways that I can improve my soil quality are to rototill the soil and add organic compounds such as steer manure, chicken poop, and compost. The second way would be to add sand to the soil and provide shade. The best materials for mulching would be grass clippings and hay. Some of the best ground cover plants for the East Texas area are: ajuga, Asian jasmine, English ivy, ferns (many types and varieties available, such as holly fern, wood fern, painted fern, sensitive fern, autumn fern, maidenhair fern), liriope, and mondo grass (or monkey grass).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2022 :  10:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I made five bean bags for the boys. Right now they like tractors and trucks. When I gave them the bean bags, they put them in their dump trucks and pretended they were moving big rocks!

Toys of yesteryear are a wonderful way to get them to use their imagination.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2022 :  10:18:41 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“In my area of the world we have seven farms that are CSA's. All of the seven CSA's are organic and practice the natural control of pests. Some also practice the no-till methods to preserve soil integrity. The one area that has five of the seven CSA's are in an area which many refer to as "the Organic Valley". Also, some of the larger farms have rice land which provides refuge for the migrating birds. Due to having a major agricultural university in my town there are many plots of land around the university that are used for experimental and natural practices of farming.

Most of the CSA's participate at our local farmers market which is a wonderful year-round market.

In the book In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, he make a great statement to "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan lives close to my area and has lectured at the University. I use to belong to a CSA for many years. It is now very easy in my area to shop for organic food.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2022 :  10:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I've been in the habit of meditating for more than 21 days. My go-to meditation is just focusing my mind on a particular object, thought, or activity. This gives me time to be aware of problems to be solved or to be calm and in a quiet state. The best time for my meditation is sitting quietly outside in my backyard and enjoying my surroundings. However you decide to take quiet time and reflect is always a good thing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2022 :  10:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“Walking meditation is something I do all the time. It's feeling your walk and breathing in the surroundings. In my town, we have a lot of beautiful parks and wildlife areas. It's easy to get lost in your surroundings, especially in this time of year.

I enjoy this type of meditation. I usually walk 4-5 times a week just to connect with nature.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2022 :  10:22:39 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“I made a lot of good things with my homemade butter. Some were lemon butter cake, gravy, garlic butter, butter cookies and my favorite: popcorn with butter! It turned out yummy!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Permaculture Merit Badge!

“What is permaculture?
Permaculture is the conscious design and maintenance of agriculturally productive ecosystems which have the diversity, stability, and resilience of natural ecosystems.

What is a closed loop system? Closed loop agriculture is farming practice that recycles all nutrients and organic matter material back to the soil that it grew in.

How can instituting permaculture practices be beneficial to your home garden?
Keeping the soil intact don't disturb the natural ecosystem of the garden.

I like the idea of lasagna gardening it make the soil much easier to plant in and less amendments are needed.

Lasagna gardening is layering of natural products. I've used this method. Rotational grazing is used in the livestock industy to keep the animals from eating too close to the ground. It allows vegetation to regrow and keeps the animals healthier.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  12:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Permaculture Merit Badge!

“In permaculture, a guild is a grouping a plants, trees, animals, insects, and other components that work together to help ensure their health and productivity. One plant adds the nutrients that other plant can use.

You can use the guild system in your garden bed as well as your regular landscaping.

I use this method in my small garden area. Mixing soil, leaves, lawn clippings, and compost makes my garden more productive!

"Keepers of the soil" is a motto I try to garden by. I try to have no pesticides and keep as many natural products as possible.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  12:48:36 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Permaculture Merit Badge!

“In my town, we have a community garden in which I am a member. We only use natural products. We recycle good vegetation, consider guilds, and have a compost area and keep all the weeds down.

This season, we're revitalizing the front area of the garden with good compost and we just planted sunflowers! This is something I enjoy doing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  12:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Orienteering Merit Badge!

“For orienteering, a few basic things you should learn are how to use a compass; learn which way is north; how to read features on a map; and how to pace and judge distance.

A few basic items you need would be a compass, map, and good hiking shoes.

I read about orienteering, reviewed how to use my compass, and had fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  3:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“What a fun rock shop my friend Candy and I went to in a town nearby.

We saw a ton of rocks and beautiful rooms full of shiny rocks and minerals from all over the world. The Rock Shop in Vacaville is the largest rock and mineral store by size and selection in the USA! Some of the rocks I purchased were Amathyst, Tigers Eye, Red Dalmation Jasper, Vandium, Rainbow Hematite.

This was a fun day!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  3:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“At the Rock Shop I added more rocks to my collection.

Rocks:
Red Dalmation Jasper
Vandium
Tigers Eye
Basalt
Rhyolie

Minerals:
Rainbow Hematite
Tourmaline
Hematite
Amethyst
Citrine
Quartz

At the Rock Shop they also had geodes which I bought to open with my grandchildren so we can see what is inside!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  3:31:29 PM  Show Profile

Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“For this badge, I made a couple of copies of a few recipes that are remembered from family events. I also left extra room so my daughters can add their favorite recipes.

This turned out well. It was hard to remember some of the family recipes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  3:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“Last night I hosted a dinner for a few of my family members. I prepared a dinner from a family recipe. We had slow cooker pot roast with gravy as well as a Waldorf salad. It will be nice to host a few more family dinners with some more family recipes in the near future.

It was fun hosting dinner I don't get to do it that often.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  3:34:04 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Pottery/Ceramics Merit Badge!

“For ceramics, I did some research online for the different types of glazes. I found that glazes come in matte, semi-matte, satin-matte, and semi-gloss. However, there are many of different types of colors as well as finishes. One of the finishes that people like is called crackle. I was familiar with some of the glazes since my friend and I went to a place called the Mad Potter. While there, we saw a variety of colors and applications. While we were at the Mad Potter studio, we watched a potter showing a student how to form a pot on a wheel.

For this badge I made a freeform slab coil pot. I also made three leaves from a pattern of a tree leaf that I had outside. Learning this process was really fun. There are several ceramic and greenware shops in a city nearby. It would be fun to do some more exploring and learn some different techniques.

This was fun even though I'm not a very good potter—it was a learning curve.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2022 :  3:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I created and responded to over 10 different posts. I used excellent grammar and spelling. I used a dictionary on my computer to look up a word of the day for two more weeks. I read the book Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English, by Patricia T. O’Conner”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page