Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Annette Widmark (Viking homestead, #6518) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Spinning Merit Badge!

“I spun yarn in angora rabbit, alpaca and silk. I spun three different skeins using different % of the three fibers and plied six skeins.

My two friends and I got together and did this project. We gave the yarn away so they could be knitted into socks.

The skeins turned out different because of the fiber content and different plying. It was turned into amazing socks for a little girl.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Annette Widmark (Viking homestead, #6518) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I taught my granddaughter how to knit a simple shawl. She did very well and finished within a few weeks.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Annette Widmark (Viking homestead, #6518) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knitted a hat for my granddaughter from my hands-on yarn. The hat was perfect and she loved it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:28:23 PM  Show Profile
Annette Widmark (Viking homestead, #6518) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knitted a pair of mittens on double-pointed needles. I did color changes in the pattern. I visited an elderly group and taught five women how to knit. The women had an awesome time and learned how to knit wash cloths.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Annette Widmark (Viking homestead, #6518) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I made a small scrapbook commemorating our trip to the coast. I gave it to my husband for his birthday. My husband really liked it and said it was a very special present.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Annette Widmark (Viking homestead, #6518) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I created a scrapbook page on the birth of a precious baby boy Benjamin. I added 3D art work including dried flowers, paper cutting, etc. It turned out surprisingly well for a first try.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:30:23 PM  Show Profile
Annette Widmark (Viking homestead, #6518) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I downloaded our genealogy on my dad's mother's side my brother researched. All the way to Viking kings in Sweden. I created a historical scrapbook on our genealogy with my brother's help.

It will be a family heirloom. Now all nine of my kids want me to make them a copy with all the information.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Mindy McCarthy (Mindy, #8448) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“I reviewed several websites and learned that you need to store dairy products at 40 degrees or colder to prevent bacteria from growing. The bacteria will cause the product to spoil, become rancid, and cause illness.

You can keep butter out in a colored butter dish with a tight fitting lid, but it should be used up within a day or so due to it spoiling quickly sitting at room temperature. It will last for 2-3 weeks in the fridge, but it is important to tightly wrap it in a moisture proof wrapper to keep it from absorbing the odors in the fridge. It will freeze for up to 6-9 months in the freezer, but again, you will want to wrap it in a moisture and vapor proof packaging.

Butter dates back to 8,000 BC. A traveler in Mesopotamia carried milk in a bag made out of animal skin and found it had separated into lumps and a liquid when it was sloshing around. It was what we call butter and buttermilk. Back then, milk came from yaks, sheep, and goat because cows were not domesticated. Around 4,500 BC tablets with instructions on how to make butter were discovered. In the past butter has been used as a salve for burns, wounds, and even in cosmetics and even swallowed in chunks for a cough.

There are a few ways to make better at home. One way is to put cream in a container with a tight fitting lid and shake it vigorously until it forms butter. Another way is to use an electric mixer and mix until the cream separates into butter and buttermilk. Another way is to put the cream in a jar with a tight fitting lid that has a hand crank and a paddle that agitates the cream until it forms butter and buttermilk. I make butter by using the last method above.

I enjoyed learning all about butter. I like making butter with the butter churn because I feel like a pioneer woman when I make it and it only takes about 12-13 minutes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile
Mindy McCarthy (Mindy, #8448) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“There are a lot of ways to use buttermilk. You can use it to make waffles, biscuits, ice cream, cakes, yeast breads, popsicles, fried chicken, ranch dressing, and even buttermilk chicken or pork.

It's important to wash and knead the buttermilk out of the butter. The better it's washed out, the longer the butter will last for. If buttermilk is left in the butter, then it will cause the butter to become rancid quicker. I wash and knead the butter at the same time by rinsing the butter out in the same jar I made it in. I put ice cubes in the jar and run it under running water while kneading the butter with an icing spatula to squeeze the buttermilk out. You know the buttermilk is rinsed out when the water runs clear from the canning jar.

Sweet cream butter is American style butter; butter make from cream. Cultured butter is a European style butter. After pasteurization, it's fermented by adding select bacterial culture to it and letting it rest for a day in a vat. Now it's ready to be churned into butter. Fermenting produces a complex blend of flavor compounds and is the source of the flavor difference between cultured butter and sweet cream butter.

My butter turns out really well. The more it's kneaded the smoother it is. It seems to have a fresher taste than store bought butter and I have control over how much salt is added to it.

I think it takes about the same amount of time to rinse the buttermilk out of the butter as it does to make the butter. I haven't tried putting the butter in a cheesecloth to rinse it that way; perhaps that way won't take as long.

Nevertheless, I think butter is fun to make, it tastes really good, and the bonus is getting fresh buttermilk!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  4:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Mindy McCarthy (Mindy, #8448) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“For this level I made buttermilk waffles, biscuits, and buttermilk pork chops. The recipe called for chicken, but I used pork instead.

The waffles and biscuits turned out really good—the pork turned out exceptionally good. I made a note to marinate it overnight the next time I make it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  5:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I researched the difference between cruelty-free and organic health and beauty products. I'm replacing products with healthy, organic products as I run out. I made a simple product using natural ingredients.

I discovered that cruelty-free products are not tested on animals whereas organic products are made from organically farmed, FDA regulated ingredients. I'm replacing my products with organic products as I run out. I made scented bath salts with my Young Cultivator, Madison. We plan to make more of our own homemade products in the future. Madison wants to make more bath salts to give as Christmas gifts because she had so much fun making them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2022 :  5:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I set exercise goals and have stuck to them for one month.

I decided to walk for exercise. I have walked with my daughter three to five days a week for the last month. I have lost five pounds! I will continue the walking. We have found so many places to walk so that we don't get bored with the same scenery!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2022 :  1:57:08 PM  Show Profile
Susan Ownby (#8450) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I canned apple pie filling and shared it with two sisters. We've been using it as ice cream topping—so good!

I canned tomatoes to have for making spaghetti, chili, etc. It's handy to have on hand.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2022 :  1:57:45 PM  Show Profile
Susan Ownby (#8450) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I pressure canned carrots and green beans and shared some with my sister. Both vegetables came out well. Beans were very similar to what my mother used to make.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2022 :  1:58:40 PM  Show Profile
Susan Ownby (#8450) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I set up a multi-track approach to improve multiple health issues. I've begun 2x week pool therapy for back and knees and breathing therapy 2x day. I'm counting calories. I had a knee ablation, and just received steroid shot in spine for pain.

Have lost 3.2 pounds. PAI up from 44 to 75. Average steps for the month up from 1067 to 1245.

Sometimes I get very frustrated because progress is so slow, but reviewing the numbers for this report has helped with that. I shall continue for the next month for intermediate.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  11:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (#2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“For this merit badge I did three-day hikes. My first hike was at the Blue Ridge Tunnel in Va. It's an old railroad tunnel that was 2.25 miles long.

My other two hikes were in Navada while I was visiting my friend. They were Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire.

In Virginia, the state bird is a cardinal and the state flower and tree is the Dogwood.

We have a fire pit out back and I learned how to make a safe fire.

I was very proud with myself for keeping up with my friend and my daughter who do alot of hiking.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  11:53:38 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolincateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“Although my little car’s computer gives me all the information on my dashboard, I check all fluids monthly. I check each tire’s air pressure and add air if needed according to the required amount as listed on the door panel. I check the oil, coolant in the overflow tank, brake fluid, power steering fluid (careful on this one that no trash gets in), and the windshield washer fluid. I hand wash my car monthly and vacuum when needed. I fill my gas tank every two weeks. During hurricane season, I never let the tank get below the halfway mark. My mileage for the 7-day week is usually 175-200 miles; my gas tank holds 14.5 gallons and gets 27 mpg. Now that gas has gone up so high, I’ve stopped leaving work during my lunch hour to run errands that can be done on my way home. I no longer make extra trips into town on the weekend. During spring break last week, I made one trip (25 miles round trip) to town to take off my recyclables and then to church on Sunday (5 miles round trip). By being frugal for four weeks, I’ve saved enough I can travel the 50 miles in May to Edisto Beach to swim and hike along the sandy shores of Botany Bay and eat freshly caught shrimp and flounder.

Since 03/21/2022, I have used 24 gallons of gas and driven approximately 650 miles total. In the last month, I've spent $135.00 on gas, but I don’t need to fill up until the first Wednesday in May. The average cost of gas per gallon in my area is $3.59.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  11:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolincateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“I knew when I downsized into my small double wide mobile home, I wanted to take full advantage of the natural light. When I had it built to my specifications, I paid to have extra windows in my bedroom and master bath, extra window in the guest bath, and a sliding door out of the kitchen/dining area. I had all white cabinets, marbled white kitchen counter tops, white back splash, white wainscot and trim work put in. I needed sunlight! I now have abundant natural sunlight! I did not want carpet! I did not want curtains or miniblinds! I wanted a home that could easily be kept clean, free of clutter, easily maneuverable, well insulated, and energy efficient. I have it all! I don’t need to cut a light on during the day.

For weeks I dusted and cleaned furniture, framed pictures, lamps, and antiques I wanted to keep and organized where each piece would go. I hung my grandmother’s handmade Sedge broom she made sixty years ago. A mounted deer head, the first one my then husband killed on this property, looks out over the living room. He still wears his leather strap with large jingle bells attached.

Living simply is a joy! I repeat! Living simply is a joy! I’ve utilized live air-purifying plants in the living/kitchen/dining room areas and in my bedroom and bath. At night, my bedroom is filled with soothing light from battery-operated luminary candles. A small leafless birch-white tree with tiny white lights stands on my dresser and is timed to operate for four hours. It’s now decorated seasonally, soon with seashells from my favorite beach.

I'm a frugal consumer. I had to buy a new couch but had to make sure it was made with real wood parts. This is my first ever brand-new couch! I'm now researching the best window coverings to beat the summer heat for the four front windows, probably wide slat white wooden blinds.

Decorating green means utilizing what I have and buying only what is absolutely necessary. It means purchasing those expensive energy efficient light bulbs, unplugging small appliances when not in use, switching off the dryer breaker until I need to use it (very little use, I prefer line drying), conserving water and energy where ever possible and having a designated area for recycled items. It means using a steam mop to rid the use of chemicals and to keep the floors clean. It also means donating what I don’t need and helping others to use, reuse and renew. It means total decluttering! Downsizing has been an adventure and a joy! Minimizing and having abundant natural sunlight have helped me mentally as well. I'm more focused, better organized, feel more joyful, and sleep more soundly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  11:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolincateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I planted two cucumber plants in the garden during my spring break last week. I made a trellis for each plant by attaching a length of narrow white rope to a hand cut wooden stake rescued from shrubs and limbs I had previously cut down. I then attached the rope to the top of the cyclone fence. I made four lengths for each plant. I’ll help the runners to start up the rope so they will climb to the top. The rope is sturdy so I don’t foresee any problems. I also made a teepee using small trees cut during cleanup. I used five pieces approximately 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter, five feet tall, stood them up in the shape of a teepee and wound some of the same white rope around the top to secure the teepee. One down and three to go. I plan to use these when I plant string beans later this summer.

Even though I have trellises for the beans and spaghetti squash, it will be interesting to see if my works of art will be successful. The brush cut down on the property is usually burned and the ashes used around the pecan trees. I’m thrilled I was able to use some of the brush and trees for other projects and I've pulled out more debris for further use.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  11:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolincateyes, #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“Spring break last week was a busy time outdoors! I planted sweet potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, and a small area of peanuts in my garden for the first time! I've never tried to grow these root crops and am excited to see how they grow.

The Jerusalem artichokes, planted in a separate garden area, will take a couple of years to produce enough to harvest. I'll make artichoke relish and can them using my grandmother’s recipe. In the fall the peanuts will appear and will be ready to pull up by hand. I’ll lay the bushes out in the sun for the peanuts to dry out somewhat before picking them off the bushes.

The peanuts will be washed and rewashed thoroughly, put into a large stock pot with salted water and boiled until tender. After cooling completely, the water will be drained and the peanuts packaged in plastic bags, then frozen for winter use. There is nothing better than boiled peanuts in the dead of winter!

The sweet potatoes will also be dug by hand in late fall. I will lay them out on newspaper in my storage building to (season) dry out. After seasoning, I'll cook these little by little until they are gone. I've canned sweet potatoes before but not sure the plants will produce that well.

I am excited about the prospect of harvesting these three root crops in the fall. If the crops are successful, I'll increase them in the garden the following year. I'm working my garden alone this year so it’s smaller than usual. I can't answer how it will turn out. This I do know: At nearly 70 years young, I'm still working my garden and still having fun outdoors. My grandmother Miley would be proud of me!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Organic on a Budget Merit Badge!

“I taught two families how to go Organic on a budget. They are now on their way to eating better. I made them some homemade jam and some homemade bread. They loved it all.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:23:46 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I kept a detailed chart of the weather for a month. The temperature, moisture, wind, clouds, and other things. To sum it up we had 3 tornado warnings. We were safe, but the town 20 miles from us had the tornado touch down on them. I was at my daughter's when we got the warning, she had no shelter and we had not done anything to prepare for this. We're both new to the state and it scared us. Luckily, we did not have it touch down on us. We did plan to go to the bathroom in the tub if we needed to. That was when we did a search and found out where the shelters were and prepared to be ready next time.

We had a lot of lighting and thunderstorms in the last month also. I don't like the thunder at all. We had rain also. I just moved to Texas on December 23, 2022. I did not have a clue what I was in for. The weather in California is so much easier to track than in Texas. I began tracking it in January for the first time in my life every day. The weather here in Texas changes so fast. I have a weather radio and apps on my phone that I look at 3 to 4 times a day. I also watch YouTube live when the weather gets crazy here. I have a shelter in my yard and it is ready when we need to go there. Also, I know where most of the shelters are in my area.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I moved from California to Texas in December 2021. I was packing up my things to go, and I decided to put the things that needed to be finished in a box of their own. When I arrived in Texas, I looked for that box so I could earn my badges for the UFOs. I worked on finishing up two different diamond dots that I had started but did not finish. The first one was the unicorn, which took me four hours. I did that with my friends on zoom. I then pulled out the black cat diamond dots. I started it four years ago and did not want to finish, but I got it out and finished it up. I was with my friend again on zoom for six hours of the time. I'm so happy that I finally finished these up. They turned out so good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“I moved from California to Texas in December 2021 I was packing up my things to go, and I decided to put the things that needed to be finished in a box of their own. When I arrived in Texas, I looked for that box so I could earn my UFOs badge. I posted the pictures on the Farmgirl Connection.

I gave away some of the projects that I knew I did not want to finish. I have a habit of starting new diamond dots and getting bored of them and then stopping. I then will get a new one out and do the same. So I have several that are not done. I will finish the rest of them. I picked the diamond dots birds to start with. It took me 42 hours to finish it. I also did two bookmarks that took me 4 hours to do. I'm so happy that I finally finished these up. They turned out so good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  1:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (#8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I continued on my quilting journey and started a quilt. I learned how to do different things that I did not know how to do. I spent five hours with a friend working on it. I sewed buttons and embroidered and used different types of stitches. The lap quilt took me 25 hours to finish. It turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page